Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In my recent experience with the game, Peebee is not an exception to this problem.

I mean that every asari in the game aside from Peebee shares the same face, even Dr. Lexi.

The only thing they changed is coloration and some facial markings but they just reused the same face model. For some reason this is the thing that sticks with me because in Mass Effect 1 they made unique faces for everyone, even when they could get away with it like for krogan or turians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

I mean that every asari in the game aside from Peebee shares the same face, even Dr. Lexi.

The only thing they changed is coloration and some facial markings but they just reused the same face model. For some reason this is the thing that sticks with me because in Mass Effect 1 they made unique faces for everyone, even when they could get away with it like for krogan or turians

Oh I thought you were referring to the way that their facial animation seems especially prone to bugging out (which Peebee will do a lot the second she goes off the non-bespoke animations). Which come to think of it is probably exactly because of the fact that they are all using the same face model.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I tried to replay Andromeda in prep for this and it's just a tedious game to play, which is a real shame, if you cut all the tedium and bullshit and just had it be mission-based like ME2 and 3 then it'd at least be somewhat fun because the core combat and weapon variety is pretty good

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

bobjr posted:

You think Shepard decides what everyone gets to eat when they go out for dinner?

gearing up for my Dennis Reynolds Shepard full renegade ME run

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

gearing up for my Dennis Reynolds Shepard full renegade ME run

Demonstrate biotics
Engage rapidly
Never don't be charging
NEVER don't be charging
I guess sometimes shoot your shotgun
Sick nasty!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh I thought you were referring to the way that their facial animation seems especially prone to bugging out (which Peebee will do a lot the second she goes off the non-bespoke animations). Which come to think of it is probably exactly because of the fact that they are all using the same face model.
I started a new playthrough of ME:A not too long ago, and it occurred to me that when speaking, characters have a tendency of making a bit of a Trump mouth. :yooge:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simone Magus posted:

I tried to replay Andromeda in prep for this and it's just a tedious game to play, which is a real shame, if you cut all the tedium and bullshit and just had it be mission-based like ME2 and 3 then it'd at least be somewhat fun because the core combat and weapon variety is pretty good

Yeah I was enjoying the moment to moment gameplay but by the end of the game I really had a feeling of "I have no desire to replay this". There's just a bit too much game there. Looking at my played time my one complete playthrough where I went for most of the sidequests (I skipped some of the more tedious "find 3-5 things in these unmarked camps so you can go to a final camp and kill some more enemies" ones if I didn't manage to find them all organically) and it was 80 hours.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Someone made a tool to generate custom images from the offical generator.

https://masseffectcovergenerator.netlify.app/
Unfortunately not the full size ones.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

yeah their lips do this weird exaggerated popping thing. weird all around!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
For me, Mass Effect: Andromeda felt a lot like the spin-offs of Babylon 5.

It's fun to be back in the setting. Hey, look, there's those goofy aliens doing their things. Ah, there is a story. Not even as close as good to the original series, but still neat to be there again. And given that this is the pilot and there's some growing pains, I'm sure they'll smoothen that out for the next continuation.

aw :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron von der Loon posted:

It's fun to be back in the setting. Hey, look, there's those goofy aliens doing their things. Ah, there is a story. Not even as close as good to the original series, but still neat to be there again. And given that this is the pilot and there's some growing pains, I'm sure they'll smoothen that out for the next continuation.

aw :(

Yeah it feels like setting it up as "The future of the Mass Effect franchise" is what really doomed it. It meant that it was saddled with a ton of expectations, not just from fans, but from Bioware/EA themselves, which meant it had a huge budget, which meant it was too big to be merely "average", it had to be Another Smash Hit From the Creators of Mass Effect(tm). I feel like the Mass Effect setting is really ripe for them to just do a bunch of smaller games, but the format of AAA development meant that wasn't really an option.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah it feels like setting it up as "The future of the Mass Effect franchise" is what really doomed it. It meant that it was saddled with a ton of expectations, not just from fans, but from Bioware/EA themselves, which meant it had a huge budget, which meant it was too big to be merely "average", it had to be Another Smash Hit From the Creators of Mass Effect(tm). I feel like the Mass Effect setting is really ripe for them to just do a bunch of smaller games, but the format of AAA development meant that wasn't really an option.

yeah among their problems was like ... "here is this thing you like! well, most of it. some of it." and if you're gonna go fanservicey you kinda gotta go all in

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

EA is to blame for some of it, shuffling around teams to get things launched, but the core rot was Bioware just loving around way too long in the first place instead of having competent project directors setting deadlines.

ME4 and Dragon Age 4 are the only shots left to show Bioware can still make popular RPG games. A solid cover shooter ME4 should sell enough to keep the franchise alive, but DA4 has been restarted 3x by now so anything less then Witcher 3 level sales will probably be the end of that series.

And ironically, ME:A sold well enough for a normal IP, it just really under-performed for a Mass Effect title plus the reputation it had at launch gave the game a pretty bad reputation regardless of anything else they did to it.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 6, 2021

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
We better get a good drat Dragon age Trilogy remaster after this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I need a way to get Jacob into the first two spots as well, interesting that Miranda made the potential besty cut despite being playable for about as long as Jacob in the entire franchise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I need a way to get Jacob into the first two spots as well, interesting that Miranda made the potential besty cut despite being playable for about as long as Jacob in the entire franchise.

does anyone actually like jacob. like he isnt bad but he is more boring then kaiden and his entire thing is "i have daddy issues".

here is my final one.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

As someone who has only played 1-2 total of all ME games put together, but is really looking forward to the Legendary edition and carefully and deliberately playing through while aspiring to 100% all of it - what character build will be the most rewarding? Any other tips to maximize fun/good times?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

That's gonna be a monkey paw wish kinda thing though because they'll change the combat of the first game to match 3

...which I actually like, but I know a lot of people really didn't

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tenacious J posted:

As someone who has only played 1-2 total of all ME games put together, but is really looking forward to the Legendary edition and carefully and deliberately playing through while aspiring to 100% all of it - what character build will be the most rewarding? Any other tips to maximize fun/good times?

Adept is bonkers is Mass Effect 1, so is soldier but in my opinion it isn't nearly as fun. Mass Effect 2 has a ton of fun classes, I like the Infiltrator in particular.

Might not be as necessary in Legendary, but there is an early side quest in the first ME to save a doctor on Citadel, do that as soon as you can because she gives the most dollarydoos for the huge amount of garbage loot you sell.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenacious J posted:

For 2 and 3 the only really "boring" class is Soldier, just because it's the most focused on the whole "cover shooter" aspect. The first game your options are more limited but it depends on how much they have reimagined the gameplay for LE - if it does end up being mostly the same with just a graphical update, then you probably want to go with Adept in ME1 just because they get the most to do.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Soldier's still pretty fun just because Adrenaline Rush is a fun action game ability. It doesn't have as much depth as other classes but it has good fundamentals.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Baron von der Loon posted:

this statement hurts me more than harbinger ever did

since it's so completely true :negative:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Soldier's still pretty fun just because Adrenaline Rush is a fun action game ability. It doesn't have as much depth as other classes but it has good fundamentals.

the larry bird of RPG classes

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Larry bird was the best poo poo talker of all time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Larry bird was the best poo poo talker of all time.

Which of you losers is playing for second place

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does anyone actually like jacob. like he isnt bad but he is more boring then kaiden and his entire thing is "i have daddy issues".

Everyone in ME2 has daddy issues, except for Thane, who is the daddy issue

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I get the feeling if DA4 loving tanks that'll be it; ME4 won't get made and BW will be taken behind the barn and shot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

I get the feeling if DA4 loving tanks that'll be it; ME4 won't get made and BW will be taken behind the barn and shot.

Both games are make-or-break for BioWare, and they need to go two-for-two with them being well made and beloved hits or they're dead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dapper_Swindler posted:

here is my final one.

I do. Dude is tough, capable, and competent. Just a legit professional.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Both games are make-or-break for BioWare, and they need to go two-for-two with them being well made and beloved hits or they're dead.

Unless everyone in management over there has been replaced there is a 0% chance they can make a game that will be good enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

It's because they already have the art since she's on the real cover.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does anyone actually like jacob.

Kasumi and literally nobody else

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Well, nobodies perfect.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I do. Dude is tough, capable, and competent. Just a legit professional.

He keeps trying to hit on his commanding officer even when she shows no interest, and is a racist. Jacob sucks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Shepard runs the most hostile workplace ever so he gets a pass, but racist? I don't remember that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, he's in Cerberus.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh. Duh.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Andromeda could've been so much more. Like, I have a pile of pretty screenshots, and some of the builds are fun at first, but for all of ME1's issues, it at least pushed Bioware's tech forward a bit. The quality of the facial structure and the overall animations were impressive at the time, almost good enough to ignore the texture pop-in during map loads. The galaxy maps look amazing. The skyboxes are varied and wonderful. A lot of interiors are same-y, definitely, and the procgen planets are reach/grasp problems, but overall it was a leap forward.

Andromeda's a regression. In addition to the weird faces and limited conversation animations, all the humanoids run on ice skates during combat. Enemies insta-pop from cover almost as bad as the shooting gallery enemies in ME2. Each planet's dungeon has the same entrance/exit animations, the same blue color palette, the same drab vibe. The few builds suitable for Insanity are clinical and boring, and there's no tension in the encounters; either the player does enough damage with their three-ability rotation from behind cover before they get overwhelmed, or they won't. SAM could be an interesting link between family members, and/or a thoughtful examination of AI (like the Geth before ME3). Instead, he drops stale exposition in single lines. It's exactly the result of an overconfident exec who inflates the project's scope halfway thru development. It's so...blah.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Playing any mass effect game on the hardest difficulty sounds like a mistake to me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

noob