Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was to honour the intent of the original creators! Pay no attention to 'Even An Android Can Cry', his second appearance!

I think it's more he wants Pete to confess to One More Day, but events got in the way.

I think I'm the one person who still likes Spencer's ASM. His Cap run is hot garbage, but I like his Spidey.

You're probably right, that went totally over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Spencer is one of those writers who not only has bad ideas and writes poorly, but I'd go as far as to say that his work damages the characters involved.

Let me just apologize for wishing on a monkey paw that Slott would leave Spider-Man.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Let me just apologize for wishing on a monkey paw that Slott would leave Spider-Man.

I think we collectively share the blame on that one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was such a great book, it is a shame this run has turned out this way. I don't hate it or anything, but after 50 issues of building up Kindred to have it turn out to be mostly a stupid mess just killed any interest I had in reading it. Oh well, we will get a new writer eventually.

It is a shame because it has great moments sprinkled around in it, but it won't be a run I recommend to anyone after it ends.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Yeah I thought Spencer’s Spidey was really good (especially compared to his Cap, euygh) but then the Kindred stuff really feels like it derailed the aspects of it that I was enjoying. I don’t even get what Spencer is going for with all this. Last Remains wasn’t just bad, it was baffling, and got me to drop the title.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man really doesn't feel like a character where it makes sense to interrogate if what he's doing hurts more than it helps, most of the time. He doesn't really have institutional support or stand in for larger real life systems and he generally prioritizes saving lives over "fighting crime". And even though he can go toe to toe with some pretty tough customers, he ultimately isn't really powerful enough to affect the world beyond what he already does. It's not like Superman where it seems like he should be able to end world hunger if he put his mind to it, or an Iron Man where he could conceivably put his resources to completely different uses. You can't share stick to wall powers technology to enrich the lives of others or lift a Geo to end poverty.

He definitely hasn't always made the right choices, especially early in his career when he was definitely a more selfish person, but if anything the one moral conflict he's always faced with is guilt that he's not doing enough or bitterness that what he does costs him so much personally. "Web-swinging into burning buildings to save people is bad, actually" is not a very interesting concept.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

^burtle posted:

It was better when Carnage did it and Kaine was the Defense Attorney.

I just finished NeiR and I'm never going to say Kaines name correctly in my head again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

That was to honour the intent of the original creators! Pay no attention to 'Even An Android Can Cry', his second appearance!

Are you mocking the attempt by Byrne to correct what was done to Thomas and Buscema's creation, that horrible injustice done by Thomas and Buscema?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
if you say his name three times he'll appear and re-write your origin story.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

remains funny that the guy who took over the book when Byrne stormed off mid story was in fact Roy Thomas. it's not like you're dealing with a constitutional originalist here, trying to interpret the thoughts of somebody long dead; Bryne took over from the guy who wrote like eighty percent of Vision stories and was taken over by the guy who created the character. a man just absolutely unable to get over the idea of Ultron looking upon his smooth, featureless mechanical crotch and thinking "I can build a robot dick, that will show dad"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd almost argue the America retcon is to make her backstory more easily 'marketable' and 'cinematic' for the MCU version except the adoptive family, which is a totally fine thing to add, covers a lot of those bases, and they're keeping the idea of her being the child of lesbian moms, which you'd think is the part the MCU would want downplayed so they could cut it out for homophobic markets.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think I'm the one person who still likes Spencer's ASM. His Cap run is hot garbage, but I like his Spidey.

I like it too but a whole bunch of the thread has turned on it and I'm not about to try and mount a big defense :shrug:.

vvvv: I agree with the tablet being boring but I love Boomerang so they kinda cancel out to me.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 7, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Kindred plot is vaguely interesting if the speculations end up being correct. But the Boomerang/tablet stuff is just a slog.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

I'd almost argue the America retcon is to make her backstory more easily 'marketable' and 'cinematic' for the MCU version except the adoptive family, which is a totally fine thing to add, covers a lot of those bases, and they're keeping the idea of her being the child of lesbian moms, which you'd think is the part the MCU would want downplayed so they could cut it out for homophobic markets.

The fan outcry if they do an MCU version of America Chavez with heterosexual parents would be huge. They'd be better off just not showing her parents.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
America will be Wanda's third fake kid

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

The whole "retcon" is something America doesn't believe that's being told to her by a girl claiming to be her younger sister. I wouldn't get too worked up about it for now, let alone drawing connections to the MCU.

It feels more like an attempt to give America a unique supporting cast and/or delve further into her parents' history.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

It feels more like an attempt to give America a unique supporting cast and/or delve further into her parents' history.

That was the entire point of the Rivera run though

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

That was the entire point of the Rivera run though

I don't think anybody liked it. Especially as I think it was in the first issue she had America break up with her EMT girlfriend that people did like because something something long distance when America can teleport across the country.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been a couple years but i don't remember many of the complaints being about the supporting cast or her space lesbian moms, except from the chuds of course

Now that I'm thinking about it though between west coast avengers and this i guess America dropped out of multiversal college at some point

site fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 7, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't like the Rivera book but that was because the tone and pace were just awful. The second the sorority at the college was named after a loving Fifth Element reference was the point where I went "nope, this feels like a parody". It got slightly better during the Hawkeye crossover but I suspect that had something to do with Kelly Thompson riding shotgun as she was writing Hawkeye at the time. I literally don't remember any supporting cast beyond Prodigy and he may as well have not been there.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Look, the main plot of ASM is definitely way too stretched out, but Spencer's Boomerang and Beetle are still fun. I've really enjoyed the Beetle dating Randy Robertson subplot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

Beetle and her aspirations to be the next major supervillain

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Speak posted:

Look, the main plot of ASM is definitely way too stretched out, but Spencer's Boomerang and Beetle are still fun. I've really enjoyed the Beetle dating Randy Robertson subplot.

yeah, i've genuinely enjoyed that

the Kindred/One More Day stuff is positively glacial, though

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't like the Rivera book but that was because the tone and pace were just awful. The second the sorority at the college was named after a loving Fifth Element reference was the point where I went "nope, this feels like a parody". It got slightly better during the Hawkeye crossover but I suspect that had something to do with Kelly Thompson riding shotgun as she was writing Hawkeye at the time. I literally don't remember any supporting cast beyond Prodigy and he may as well have not been there.

I really dug her luchador grandma, but the whole college setting was terrible

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

FoneBone posted:

yeah, i've genuinely enjoyed that

the Kindred/One More Day stuff is positively glacial, though

Yeah it's kind of hard to believe we're 65 (more if you include the side stories and .1 issues!) and I still don't think we're actually going to resolve this storyline any time soon.

At least it's double shipping? Can you imagine the alternate world where we'd still have like two years to go just to get to the same issue count?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

I really dug her luchador grandma, but the whole college setting was terrible

It was like a 40 something mom trying to impress her daughter with a fic about Tumblr U

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The college setting in America's book did come out of nowhere, didn't it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Genuinely good laugh out of Guardians of the Galaxy today.

Black Cat's only problem is it was over too quick.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I regret ever wishing the Fantastic Four came back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bananaquiter posted:

What now?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Silk's new enemy is really unlikeable. She's a good foil for her. But I do wonder if Jonah will figure out Cindy's identity on his own. You'd think that he'd be a bit more wary of the people close to him after that whole thing with Parker. Honestly, it would be weird if he did not figure it out at some point. Apparently she doesn't even have plot armor with regards to that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bananaquiter posted:

New issue definitely had some things I really didn't like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

New issue definitely had some things I really didn't like.

What did Slott do now?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, the Tablet/Boomerang saga has come to an end in ASM. I thought it was pretty good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

What did Slott do now?

I mean, I guess it isn't technically sexual assault!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Skwirl posted:

What now?

Lyja is back on her rapey bullshit (or maybe she was fully controlled by Alicia IDK). Johnny cheats on his girlfriend with Victorius. That wedding got more interesting at least.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Silk's new enemy is really unlikeable. She's a good foil for her. But I do wonder if Jonah will figure out Cindy's identity on his own. You'd think that he'd be a bit more wary of the people close to him after that whole thing with Parker. Honestly, it would be weird if he did not figure it out at some point. Apparently she doesn't even have plot armor with regards to that.

Her first series had the funny gag of JJ loving Silk while still hating Spider-Man so I honestly kind of hope that now that he likes Spider-Man he flips on Silk. There's only room in his heart for one spider-person at a time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Bananaquiter posted:

Lyja is back on her rapey bullshit (or maybe she was fully controlled by Alicia IDK). Johnny cheats on his girlfriend with Victorius. That wedding got more interesting at least.

Yeah, mind controlling in this situation takes it from interesting to loving gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

*William Shatner in Wrath of Khan voice*

SLOOOOOOOOOTT!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Where's those people telling me the book was good back when it launched?