Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Bust Rodd posted:

The Joker is a really awesome movie with basically perfect politics and has a lot to say about the way we discard and dismiss anyone with mental health issues as trash. Phoenix gives an outstanding performance and if Robert De Niro signs on to play the “villain” (wink) in a movie that is very clearly drawing inspiration and paying homage to two of his own films, one of which is among the top 50 movies ever made according to film critics across the globe... well shouldn’t that be good enough for you?

Anyone who paints The Joker as Fight Club or White Male Rage is basically whatever the movie version of illiterate is... I think we call it “stupid”? This was the projection put into place by mass media outlets and woke-scold leftists who had never seen the film but DESPERATELY wanted it to incite violent shootings. It was among some of the weirdest behavior I’ve ever seen from media in my entire life. They spent months warning people this would cause violence and masa shootings because... I honestly don’t even know! It was so weird and insane! There is literally no way to actually watch the film and accept what is happening on screen and come away with the take you’ve posted.

It’s not perfect, certainly, the reveal about his fake GF was too heavy-handed and we didn’t need to see the actual murder of the Waynes that was maybe more than was needed but ultimately it’s a really good movie that helped a lot of people with serious mental health problems feel seen or represented in media in a way we don’t often get to be seen. If you’ve never had a government official look you dead in the eye and say “there is no help coming, you do not matter, good night and No, I don’t recall saying good luck” than sure maybe the movie won’t speak to you but it sure as hell had a lot to say to me and many others like me.

Tarantino has a really electric description of the finale wherein he expressed incredible respect for the director. The way that scene is constructed, the way the film builds this scene so completely, the average audience member is EXCITED for the murder to happen. We know Phoenix is crazy, we know he’s losing it, we know none of his ideas are grounded or helpful, we know that ultimately he is just a sad and abused crackpot with nothing in his life, and we still want him to blow Robert DeNiro’s brains out the back of his skull, because in that scene Jaoqin... is right

Just an awesome flick, gonna rewatch Joker before I get trapped in Thor hell

the dance of freedom. the death bells. the rising of the joker.

one of the most magnificent, sublime, monumental, extraordinary scenes in cinema history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Anyone who paints The Joker as Fight Club or White Male Rage is basically whatever the movie version of illiterate is... I think we call it “stupid”? This was the projection put into place by mass media outlets and woke-scold leftists who had never seen the film but DESPERATELY wanted it to incite violent shootings. It was among some of the weirdest behavior I’ve ever seen from media in my entire life. They spent months warning people this would cause violence and masa shootings because... I honestly don’t even know! It was so weird and insane! There is literally no way to actually watch the film and accept what is happening on screen and come away with the take you’ve posted.

Don't forget how media transformed the 2012 mass shooting nutjob who dressed in tactical gear into "he dressed as Joker and shot people, what if it happens again>?!?!?!?!"

This country is weird in that tons of police overtime and millions of dollars is spent securing one movie rollout even though tons of much more violent films are released every year, but we won't fund mental health care or even you know general health care.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Could you possibly imagine the response if someone was like "Do we really need a Bruce Willis Deathwish remake where he vigilante murders minorities? Don't we need less movies about white guys executing people they perceive to be criminals extrajudicially?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
A lot of critics condemned Joker after it premiered at the Venice Film Festival, particularly critics who were not at the Venice Film Festival.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah it was like a mass hysteria event where 1,000's of people made up a movie in their head that didn't exist and got mad at it online.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

live with fruit posted:

A lot of critics condemned Joker after it premiered at the Venice Film Festival, particularly critics who were not at the Venice Film Festival.

People were creating this white man rage mass shooting scenarios out of a loving trailer and teaser.

It was cringy and worse cuz it came from several popular left ppl from twiter.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Sam's ending speech is actually ironic because Disney themselves added unsympathetic violence to delegitimise the flagsmashers otherwise sympathetic leftist ideals

No, Disney removed a subplot where the flag-smashers released a pandemic causing virus.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

No, Disney removed a subplot where the flag-smashers released a pandemic causing virus.

I heard this was debunked.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's fitting that Joker was awarded the Gold Lion by a jury led by Lucrecia Martel, who dragged Marvel after she interviewed for Black Widow.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Still on the topic of Flag Smasher, Karli would had been more infinitely interesting if they didn't gender swap her and thus make the cause sympathetic. It's easier to write a Tyler Durden style rebel rouser when you are not trying to draw sympathy to their cause.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

Yeah, I know, but I'm just talking about what they stitched together after the fact.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

gyrobot posted:

Still on the topic of Flag Smasher, Karli would had been more infinitely interesting if they didn't gender swap her and thus make the cause sympathetic. It's easier to write a Tyler Durden style rebel rouser when you are not trying to draw sympathy to their cause.

Good thing they wanted to make her cause sympathetic then, and it still would be sympathetic with any other actor because the whole point of the show is they are right to feel marginalised and threatened. Them having to use violence is because the GRC refuses to listen to anything else, Sam consistently attempts to listen only to have circumstances and people around him gently caress it up because they are wrong about the Flagsmashers.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Good thing they wanted to make her cause sympathetic then, and it still would be sympathetic with any other actor because the whole point of the show is they are right to feel marginalised and threatened. Them having to use violence is because the GRC refuses to listen to anything else, Sam consistently attempts to listen only to have circumstances and people around him gently caress it up because they are wrong about the Flagsmashers.

A nongenderswapped version of Flag Smasher would have more classic reasons like how he felt like used cog in the Blip Machine to maintain civilization and decides to reject the notion of nations and finds like minded people to join him in his attempt for global anarchy against a system that exploited the labor shortages which would be better commentary on what happens during worldwide disaster because real life convinced me that society picks the worst option as we seen in places like India where land reforms happen around covid, Hong Kong where students fighting for democracy gets the excuse to go for the Jugular thanks to covid

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The fact that FaWS portrayed almost every character as victims of the status quo in a sense (as well as their endorsement of the flagsmashers' motivations and ideals) left me feeling a little dissapointed that a stern talking to from Sam was the extent of corrective action (aside from the attempted kidnapping of course). I'd have preferred to see the main GRC guy face some sort of actual consequence beyond his brief moments of fearful helplessness, considering how many "regular" people have died while he stays a powerful influential decision maker (who seems downright irritated that he should be expected to consider the needs of the people he's forcefully relocating).

That being said, the fact that the "powers that be" are ultimately left safe and intact (even as the various folks neglected by those systems kill each other) is pretty powerful and accurate too. Also, as much as I wanted more from Sam than saving some cops and politicians and giving a speech, I did like his speech. Especially the inevitability of more unrest and violence directed at them (the GRC) if they didnt correct course. Often people I speak with regarding real socioeconomics think I am advocating a violent purge of the wealthiest and most powerful, whereas I simply point to it as an inevitability (in popular sentiment if not action). Desperate marginalized people will do whatever they have to do to survive, and no amount of condemnation will temper the danger of people experiencing desperation and hunger.

*edit* Imagine one of the characters faced with say, saving either the GRC head or some rando kid, and letting that dude eat it while giving him a "somebody's gotta make the tough decisions" line as a mirror of power leaving people behind.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 7, 2021

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I think something to keep in mind is that, at the risk of sounding like a goober fanboy, Marvel/Disney are presenting a new kind of storytelling. While normally once a TV series ended, that was it, all the threads tied up and everything was resolved.
With the way that the films and shows intertwine, we will almost certainly see the results (good and bad) from these events down the line.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was a show about symbolism, it wasn’t a show about meaningful systemic change. That’s why Isaiah’s monument is so important, it doesn’t write any of the wrongs, it just allows him to exist and be a symbol to other black men, like Sam.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

gyrobot posted:

gyrobot posted:

A nongenderswapped version of Flag Smasher would have more classic reasons like how he felt like used cog in the Blip Machine to maintain civilization and decides to reject the notion of nations and finds like minded people to join him in his attempt for global anarchy against a system that exploited the labor shortages which would be better commentary on what happens during worldwide disaster because real life convinced me that society picks the worst option as we seen in places like India where land reforms happen around covid, Hong Kong where students fighting for democracy gets the excuse to go for the Jugular thanks to covid

I don't see how the character's gender factors into any of this at all, and it's honestly a little weird that you keep framing it in those terms.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The implication that somehow men are more dehumanized by society than women in particular is, uh

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Maybe they're just uncomfortable with being attracted to a super hot villain character and would feel more comfortable if they was just some schlubby dude.

(I don't know but as long as we're inventing justifications whole cloth it's fun to make pretend)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Casnorf posted:

Maybe they're just uncomfortable with being attracted to a super hot villain character and would feel more comfortable if they was just some schlubby dude.

(I don't know but as long as we're inventing justifications whole cloth it's fun to make pretend)

There's nothing uncomfortable about my attraction or the attraction of the other HiddleSTANs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

This was a show about symbolism, it wasn’t a show about meaningful systemic change. That’s why Isaiah’s monument is so important, it doesn’t write any of the wrongs, it just allows him to exist and be a symbol to other black men, like Sam.

I think this is true and the show's strength, but at the same time I think it's a fair criticism that if you are going to write a grand geopolitical crisis into your plot to serve as the driving force for the conflict between the characters then it should be done in a much less clumsy way than FatWS ended up doing it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I forgive a lot for a six episode disney series having a line like "No self respecting black man would want to be Captain America" and everything in the narrative making you go "He right."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Was thinking more along the lines of Renaissance Art than the actual Bible.

Yeah it definitely was referencing this. The image was an Angel descending combined with a pieta. It’s explicit not implicit what the place of each of the characters are in the imagery. Karli is where one finds Jesus in the imagery, which implies really interesting things. If they follow up on it and it’s so explicit that I have a hard time thinking they won’t.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Changes in symbolism can break theonomies. And we know there is more story coming. That be a real interesting thing to explore (symbolic change vs material systemic change ).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
S1 was about getting Sam to accept a Black Captain America.

S2 is probably going to be about America accepting a Black Captain America.

(Also Bucky and Sarah’s wedding :swoon:)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

(Also Bucky and Sarah’s wedding :swoon:)

I want that just to have Ayo be Bucky's Best Woman.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Casnorf posted:

That's pretty much it, it's easier to write male villains as some cackling psychopath/sociopath who eats babies than a villain.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I think something to keep in mind is that, at the risk of sounding like a goober fanboy, Marvel/Disney are presenting a new kind of storytelling. While normally once a TV series ended, that was it, all the threads tied up and everything was resolved.
With the way that the films and shows intertwine, we will almost certainly see the results (good and bad) from these events down the line.

Its not really a new kind of storytelling, its the same as the Marvel comics where things have to return to status quo in order to set up the next tale in a world that is sorta like ours. (Yeah the blip never happened in our world, but in this show its meant as a broad parallel for, general mass disaster and social conflict).

It means that the only stories where things actually change are elseworlds or outside normal canon deconstruction things. I think that was the original concept for The Authority 'what if superhero's actually did something beyond the bare minimum to restore the status quo?'

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I guess I phrased that poorly. It certainly isn’t a new type of storytelling, in general. I was mostly thinking about the concerns that there was no visible change after Sam’s speech. Since all of the MCU is basically one really long story now, we’ll probably see some of those results in Cap 4. The story isn’t finished yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I guess I phrased that poorly. It certainly isn’t a new type of storytelling, in general. I was mostly thinking about the concerns that there was no visible change after Sam’s speech. Since all of the MCU is basically one really long story now, we’ll probably see some of those results in Cap 4. The story isn’t finished yet.

I'd agree, and go further and say this kind of thing isn't a just a slip-up, or laziness, like people often say; it's intentional. Go back through the thread and search and see how many times people refer to the ending of a series or movie with the phrase "unsatisfying third act". You hear it with literally every Marvel production. It's a stereotype at this point that the movie will be a lot of fun and enjoyable and imaginative, good production values, but then they don't really deliver on everything in the end and don't bother wrapping up all the poo poo they set up.

This isn't sloppy writing, they're building a fanbase like it's a soap opera and they've been doing it since Iron Man 1 and it's one of the biggest reasons the MCU has been such an unprecedented success.

Like whoever said, they're writing movies and TV shows as not only serials, but a sort of meta-serial of a series of multiple, interlocking serials, in a way that hadn't really been done before in this medium other than like, literal soap operas, and Marvel actually has the experience to understand how to tread that line between satisfying your readers/viewers while leaving them wanting more.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

massive spider posted:

It means that the only stories where things actually change are elseworlds or outside normal canon deconstruction things. I think that was the original concept for The Authority 'what if superhero's actually did something beyond the bare minimum to restore the status quo?'

I've never read more than a few chapters of The Authority, but always thought it looked interesting; does it start fairly normal to our world and diverge heavily over the course of the run as things affect the setting then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

I've never read more than a few chapters of The Authority, but always thought it looked interesting; does it start fairly normal to our world and diverge heavily over the course of the run as things affect the setting then?

Not really. "Superheroes changing the world" was the high concept, but they never did any of that. It basically wound up being a dry run for The Ultimates, as Bryan Hitch was the original artist and Mark Millar took over writing duties from Warren Ellis after the first year.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Treeofl1fe/status/1390770344429072384?s=19

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They’re PG-13 mass-market crowd pleasers that are also heavily marketed to kids and families, so I’ve never understood the complaint that MCU films are “neutered” or sexless. What exactly do you expect?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They’re PG-13 mass-market crowd pleasers that are also heavily marketed to kids and families, so I’ve never understood the complaint that MCU films are “neutered” or sexless. What exactly do you expect?

Just the tip?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it weren't for the violence and language, they'd all be G-rated; their characters are so chaste and sexless.

e: I guess the first couple Iron Man movies do position Tony Stark as a bona-fied sex haver, but honestly that only makes it stand out more looking back on the evolution of the MCU tbh

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 8, 2021

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Not gonna lie, an MCU movie directed by Almodovar would be a wild ride

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's absolutely nothing stopping Almodóvar from making a superhero movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dark Avengers, directed by Gaspar Noe.

With opening credits that cannot be viewed by epileptics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNtxgxYY7sI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Big Mean Jerk posted:

These movies/TV shows are marketed towards adults as much as kids if not moreso these days. We also have a few examples of gory superhero movies like Deadpool or Logan or crazy violent TV superhero shows like The Boys

The next step is superhero dong in the MCU