Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd agree that it is a bit misleading to look at the number of people using various app stores rather than the amount of money spent on various app stores. or just the total number of paid transactions. after all that is far more relevant to people trying to sell apps than how many people have a particular app store installed.

really the strongest argument for apple is that a 30% cut on game stuff isn't that ridiculous *anyway*, in a world of xboxes and playstations. if this was spotify suing i think it is easier to see that taking a large cut of the subscription on sublicensed content is kind of ridiculous (plus the dominance of apple is much clearer for them, as i think spotify withdrawing from ios would be pretty much equivalent to closing up shop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yes. we’re talking about the us market here because this is a lawsuit in the us in a us court and will only mandate changing the app store in the us. their market share outside of the us is completely irrelevant for the purposes of this suit.

refleks posted:

It seems Epic is actually arguing for a monopoly designation for Apple in the appstore...

yes. that’s exactly what people are talking about.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really the strongest argument for apple is that a 30% cut on game stuff isn't that ridiculous *anyway*, in a world of xboxes and playstations. if this was spotify suing i think it is easier to see that taking a large cut of the subscription on sublicensed content is kind of ridiculous (plus the dominance of apple is much clearer for them, as i think spotify withdrawing from ios would be pretty much equivalent to closing up shop).

yeah i largely agree with this

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 7, 2021

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

A 30% cut on app sales isn't totally ridiculous, but it is on IAPs, because it's paralyzing for legit subscription based services like Spotify, or anyone who wants to sell their stuff both in the app store and elsewhere.

On the other hand, if apple reduce their cut, they'll lose way more than that percentage of their IAP income because any sensible dev will make the initial app free and offer the upgrade to the full version via IAP instead, at a discounted price (eg right now if a dev wants to make $10 on their app sale, they have to charge $14.28, and Apple gets $4.28. If Apple drop their IAP cut to 15%, then a dev can make the same money charging an IAP for $11.76 , but Apple only gets $1.76)

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

30% is too much on every platform, not just apple

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

really want to see how Epic argue its a monopoly...

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why does anyone care what percentage of a cut some millionaire is taking from another millionaire?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

why does anyone care what percentage of a cut some millionaire is taking from another millionaire?

a dangerous line of inquiry for just about all conversation in yospos

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i dont really care about apple nor epic winning...

i like my apple products, but they're all billion dollar tech companies - there are no good guys.

i want to know the interpretation of monopoly in this case... i have a hard time understanding how it can be considered monopolistic behavior to charge for access to the appstore?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

a dangerous line of inquiry for just about all conversation in yospos

it may be time for the YOSPOS Truth and Reconciliation Council to appear and handle this one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the judge should just declare that fortnight is illegal and stick a nail in it

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

akadajet posted:

“while i agree on all of the plantiffs points, because apparently to know what the hell was going on in rise of skywalker i needed to have been playing fortnite i rule favor of the defendant”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
subscription based services are already treated differently from iap

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

subscription based services are already treated differently from iap

sort of. isn't it still 70% for the first year and it resets if a user cancels for more than 2 months?

that's still kinda harsh for some subscription products imo but i don't make those apps so i don't know...but when i end up subscribing to stuff it's usually pretty off and on

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

refleks posted:

yeah that 15% market share iOS has is really the de-facto tool for a large part of the population...

Apple has a 90% share of rich and/or attractive people.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Apple should increase their cut to 50% to show the developers who's in charge.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

in a surprise twist both apple and epic are nationalized and both tims get guillotined.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

apple should increase their cut of subscription software to 100% so that apps that have gone to a lovely subs model stop being dicks

i tried fantastical earlier this year and it was good but lol at paying $60 a year for a calendar app. i would probably have been ok with like $40 upfront but $5 a month for a calendar, gtfoh

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
a lot of the subscription garbage is directly apple's fault for refusing to let apps charge for updates

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can't they just release it as a new app if they wanna get paid again so bad?

besides it's not like they couldn't just pay to unlock the new features as a one time purchase. people choosing to make their apps subscription based instead of one time purchase-based is all on them.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
releasing an entirely new app means you lose all your ratings/reviews/etc. and completely tank your sales. iap-based upgrades are total garbage for an actual new version of the app where you change things and not just locking individual features behind additional money

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

in a surprise twist both apple and epic are nationalized and both tims get guillotined.

the only acceptable outcome

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't wear a watch or carry a phone usually. My current pixel 4 can awake with my face, which is nice. (the screen also awakes when I cough, piss and/o poo poo)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zeluth posted:

I don't wear a watch or carry a phone usually. My current pixel 4 can awake with my face, which is nice. (the screen also awakes when I cough, piss and/o poo poo)

nobody loving cares

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i was quite comfortable with the pay $ for major new version model, i did that for years with alfred, istatmenus, 1password

seems like apple could do a lot to make this work better in the app store tho

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I got a new job in healthcare and my M1 Air has spoiled me for speed. These shitass HP "business" desktops I gotta use are so loving slow. Oh, sir/ma'am I'm sorry if you're dying, just sit tight as I wait 30-60 seconds for this software to load.

LIke, as cheap as SSDs are, why couldn't HP just spring for some 128 gb ssd or something. for fucks sake.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're probably poo poo and using the base system build with a mechanical drive, but the rest of that is your company's security compliance system image with 8 different endpoint protection suites and monitoring software running simultaneously.

to the extent that anyone even makes that poo poo for mac, it also tanks system performance and accomplishes nothing

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

infernal machines posted:

they're probably poo poo and using the base system build with a mechanical drive, but the rest of that is your company's security compliance system image with 8 different endpoint protection suites and monitoring software running simultaneously.

to the extent that anyone even makes that poo poo for mac, it also tanks system performance and accomplishes nothing

ah yeah, that's probably what's up

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gentle Autist posted:

i was quite comfortable with the pay $ for major new version model, i did that for years with alfred, istatmenus, 1password

seems like apple could do a lot to make this work better in the app store tho

certainly a grouped 'releases' item or something, where you can buy the latest or download your current. some devs tried bundles to at least tie the next version to the old one for drastic upgrades, and offer a discount as a partially complete bindle, but that's so hacky and obviously not the right way to handle established releases

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

symantec endpoint is better now. I'm guessing that's more because the drives are faster in mbps than when we started using them here

i mean better is subjective. it completely loses its mind for npm installs but only sometimes?

amazing

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

nobody loving cares

You make no adsense.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I got a new job in healthcare and my M1 Air has spoiled me for speed. These shitass HP "business" desktops I gotta use are so loving slow. Oh, sir/ma'am I'm sorry if you're dying, just sit tight as I wait 30-60 seconds for this software to load.

LIke, as cheap as SSDs are, why couldn't HP just spring for some 128 gb ssd or something. for fucks sake.
lol yeah my previous work laptop was some HP thing which actually would have been fine if it had an ssd. nope! lovely 4500 rpm HDD.

then I got some Lenovo thing with a nice ssd and holy balls does it make all the difference in the world. plus I demanded a Tonne of RAM so I'm flying.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

never underestimate the extent to which corporate spyware security bullshit can tank performance

we have HP elitebook 840 G3s at work, and i ended up buying a refurb one off ebay with pretty much the same specs as our work systems. the one i own is absolutely fine, boots up in seconds, applications load instantly, no problems. my work laptop? lol. most applications take several seconds to load (or sometimes just totally poo poo the bed, you gotta kill it in task manager and launch again), dragging Office windows around lags like hell (only Office apps do this), updates will take hours to install, and the fan almost never stops running.

our security software is basically indistinguishable from malware.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

oh yeah and never underestimate how goddamn cheap businesses can be. hp and all the other major OEMs will gladly make available the most dogshit configurations imaginable (spinning rust, 1366x768 screens, 4GB RAM, etc), and so long as it's cheap, some moron will buy it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I bought one of those thick 2012 macbooks used and without all the enterprise tracking poo poo in the bg it's way snappier than my work 2020 16"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SO DEMANDING posted:

oh yeah and never underestimate how goddamn cheap businesses can be. hp and all the other major OEMs will gladly make available the most dogshit configurations imaginable (spinning rust, 1366x768 screens, 4GB RAM, etc), and so long as it's cheap, some moron will buy it.

it still amazes me that hp sells otherwise usable systems with 1366x768 screens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think just about every bigger oem who isn't apple still does

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

that seems like it would have been a little excusable before windows had good scaling for high dpi resolutions, but these days I run win 10 at 200% scale and it works just fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao and i thought being issued a "workstation" thinkpad with a 1080p tn screen and spinning rust in 2014 was absurd

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

We're not even allowed to bring our own keyboards or mice, due to security concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

I bought one of those thick 2012 macbooks used and without all the enterprise tracking poo poo in the bg it's way snappier than my work 2020 16"

still on my 2012 rmbp and i got a battery replacement right before official service ended and they ended up replacing the top and bottom case and the screen for no additional charge