Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I felt basically nothing from my Moderna shot. My arm was a little tender on day 2.

Can someone add a poll to the thread for this stuff? Cos I think most of the people posting about side effects are the ones who have them so it could be a bad sample.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Every single person I know who's been vaccinated has had side effects. A few even told me if they knew beforehand "they never would have gotten the drat thing" and cancelled their second appointments.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

For anyone who hasn't been vaccinated / had covid yet in the UK Valneva have started recruitment for their covid vaccine.

https://www.ukcovid19study.com/

It's a more traditional inactivated whole virus as opposed to mRNA or adenovirus based but the phase II results look solid and it may have a milder side effect profile (data is kinda iffy on this). It's two doses a month apart so you'll be fully vax'd up faster.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
It's been a couple days since my second moderna shot and the worst I got was a very slight but annoying lingering headache and a bit of fatigue the day after. Nothing major. Woke up this morning and felt great. Went for a three mile run with no issues. Friend of mine wasn't so lucky and got hit hard, like full on flu symptoms.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Re: side effect chat, my boyfriend's uncle who is in his late 50's early 60's got his shot (AZ) and felt nothing but a little arm soreness. He's also in great shape (dance instructor, bike rides all the time) so not exactly the average pillowy goon.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1390621567068119041?s=19

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1390625126887079939?s=19

Looking forward to getting that good juice.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
No side effects from the first Pfizer shot for me, other than a mildly sore arm, but that wasn't really any worse than I'd get from a flu shot. I'm getting the second shot tomorrow, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Every single person I know who's been vaccinated has had side effects. A few even told me if they knew beforehand "they never would have gotten the drat thing" and cancelled their second appointments.

Where do you live?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Around 11 PM, my fever was at around 101 F. Took some Aleve PM and went to bed. I have some vague impressions and recollections of thrashing around drenched in sweat. Slept in until 9:3o - That might have been the Aleve PM's doing. Temperature is back to normal now, and I feel about 75% human which is within the normal range for me.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Second shot of Moderna in two hours. I don't know exactly how I'm feeling but there's probably a German word for it. Some combination of relief, anxiety, excitement and fear of having bad side effects.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Chief McHeath posted:

Second shot of Moderna in two hours. I don't know exactly how I'm feeling but there's probably a German word for it. Some combination of relief, anxiety, excitement and fear of having bad side effects.

I had my second Moderna shot this morning. Feel the same as you.

My arm is already starting to hurt and it’s only been two hours. The first one started hurting around five hours in. I definitely felt the second shot more than the first one.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Just got my first Moderna shot in Spain. I'm a nurse and they're just getting to me. No idea when my husband and the general population will be eligible but it's not great.

No side effects yet, 3 hours post-jab.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I had my second Moderna shot this morning. Feel the same as you.

My arm is already starting to hurt and it’s only been two hours. The first one started hurting around five hours in. I definitely felt the second shot more than the first one.

Did you get both doses in the same arm or alternate sides? I'm leaning towards going with the left arm again since I frequently sleep on my right.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Just wanted to let everyone know I got vaccinated, J&J single dose, thank you for your concern.

I drank a lot before and after, so I projectile vomited a bunch ~12 hours later and spent around 24-36 hours in bed, missing work. Not sure if the vaccine was effective or not, so still wearing a mask to cover my goony face whenever I go out in public and/or turn off my monitor.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I work in the dining department of a retirement community so I got my Pfizer shots a while ago but the second one floored me for four days. Tired, ache, couldn't get warm.

I still wear my mask everywhere, it's a solidarity "we're not out of the woods yet thing" and I have permanent stankface, all my facial composure is gone. When I'm out in the world my mouth is either set to "hard determined line" or war grimace. I have Judge Dredd mouth, and must hide it.

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 7, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BBQ Dave posted:

I work in the dining department of a retirement community so I got my Pfizer shots a while ago but the second one floored me for four days. Tired, ache, couldn't get warm.

Pfizer two hosed me up for a while but I’m not sure if it was as bad as Pfizer One. I worked through Pfizer One so naturally everything felt worse but I also got some weird side effects like blurry vision (I’m usually a bit nearsighted, and my close up vision was fine, but anything that was usually a little blurry was noticeably blurrier. It’s like a .001 percent side effect) that I didn’t get the second time around. Both lasted for three days for me.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

Did you get both doses in the same arm or alternate sides? I'm leaning towards going with the left arm again since I frequently sleep on my right.

I got both in the same arm. Im right handed and didn’t want it to be out of commission especially knowing how much the first shot hurt. It was painful to even move my left arm, let alone change clothes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

drat, you know a lot of cowards/idiots!

I mean I realize some effects are worse than others but there's no way it's worse than the alternative. I've hosed myself up on bad batches of e way worse than the vaccines could ever do, and having some flu symptoms for a day or two is not that bad if you've ever been sick before in your life.

I'm not dragging you, to be clear, people skipping their second shots because they're pansies just pisses me off.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

what convinced people that stupid to get the vaccine in the first place? Shouldn't they be protesting the vaccines as some kind of plot by Bill Gates?

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

After hearing about people skipping second doses, it was a relief to see the same three people coming back for their second shot that were there the same time as me for the first one. Like a weird vaccine reunion at a Walgreens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

what convinced people that stupid to get the vaccine in the first place? Shouldn't they be protesting the vaccines as some kind of plot by Bill Gates?

I can see the misguided thought process. My vaccines got me sicker than the actual virus did for some people I know, it’s not just a flu vax “feeling crummy for a day” thing. It comes down to how much of a dice roll this virus is and if you haven’t seen how sick it can make you it’ll gently caress with your risk perception.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Aardvark! posted:

They pretty much knew nothing about the vaccines at all either way and were just pressured by family members to get it. One guy told me "serves me right for listening to a loving kid for medical advice."

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i really think a lot of people, for one reason or another, just haven't had experience with anything medical. they haven't confronted their mortality or any aspect of disease, so they're total weenies about simple things like getting a vaccine

i'm pretty sickly and always have been, have seen lots of doctors and hospitals, getting a shot that may or may not make me feel like trash for a day or two exchange for immunity is a no-brainer

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I got real achy and tired for days after my shots, and felt weird and fatigued for a good week after my second one. Might be coincident with something else, but I also got a 'dirty' feeling in my chest, like I'd been breathing wildfire smoke, just a milder form of it.

Makes me wonder what the actual cro woulda done to me.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I'm almost 24 hours into Pfizer2 with no side effects so far. This time around I made sure to exercise my arm before and after the shot as well as intermittently throughout yesterday and today, and the soreness is much less than pfizer1 was during the same timeframe. It feels very slightly worse than an average flu shot soreness right now. Here's hoping this continues and I don't unexpectedly get floored.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can see the misguided thought process. My vaccines got me sicker than the actual virus did for some people I know, it’s not just a flu vax “feeling crummy for a day” thing. It comes down to how much of a dice roll this virus is and if you haven’t seen how sick it can make you it’ll gently caress with your risk perception.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but my thoughts are if the vaccine knocks out someone, chances are the actual virus would have done a lot more damage.

AstraZeneca will probably be the first one available for me. I'm hoping that when supply catches up we can take more than one version. Gotta catch 'em all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but my thoughts are if the vaccine knocks out someone, chances are the actual virus would have done a lot more damage.

AstraZeneca will probably be the first one available for me. I'm hoping that when supply catches up we can take more than one version. Gotta catch 'em all.

I mean, I got super tuned up by both so it’s kind of my thinking as well, also there’s been studies about serum proteins in fatal vs severe vs mild cases that shows some significant immune response effects.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

J posted:

I'm almost 24 hours into Pfizer2 with no side effects so far. This time around I made sure to exercise my arm before and after the shot as well as intermittently throughout yesterday and today, and the soreness is much less than pfizer1 was during the same timeframe. It feels very slightly worse than an average flu shot soreness right now. Here's hoping this continues and I don't unexpectedly get floored.
That's how mine was too. My wife, as well.

Smooth and easy Pfizer 2.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I just got #2 and they poked me while I was feeling the paperwork and I was a little shaky just because of the emotions I mentioned earlier. Four minutes into my 15 minute wait, hope they don't count nervousness/anxiety as a reason to keep you.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

I just got #2 and they poked me while I was feeling the paperwork and I was a little shaky just because of the emotions I mentioned earlier. Four minutes into my 15 minute wait, hope they don't count nervousness/anxiety as a reason to keep you.

Being nervous around needles is incredibly rare so of course they’re suspicious of it.

Nah, it’s more common than not even with the drat near imperceptible needles they use for this shot. There’s people that completely pass out when they need a blood draw. You’re fine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

one of my coworkers said he didn't understand what the point of getting the vaccine was if he managed to avoid getting covid last year anyway

he was upset that people were still wearing masks

i didn't give him too much poo poo, since he still got the vaccine. be loving stupid, whatever, as long as you're no longer a potential typhoid mary

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2021

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Well the good news is that if they got wrecked by Dose 1 they probably already had COVID, and they will have a very robust immune response from 1 COVID + 1 mrna vax!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just got my second Pfizer shot. The pharmacist suggested to hydrate well to help lessen side effects as well as the usual advice of massaging the injection site area to lessen pain there. I'm less hyped for shot 2 but I'm sure I'll appreciate it before long since my dad is already planning a road trip next month.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Serious side effects, or just feeling crummy? If it was the latter then lol.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ine-2021-05-07/

Has this been here? So after all shady businesses, getting funding to upscale production and still missing shipments to EU, and dishonest tactics with the production being put to "non-accredited facilities" to avoid regulations and government oversight, AZ also faces a case of Pandemrix-style side effects.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

they're morons

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To cure your fear of needles why not simply wake up with an IV line in the back of your hand connected to the bag replacing all your blood! Worked for me!

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Pfizer 2 was on Wednesday this week. I thought it felt exactly the same as number 1 with a mild headache in the first 24 hrs until I realized that the pain in my armpit wasn’t workout DOMS, but that my lymph nodes on that side are super swollen. At least I know it worked. I haven’t seen that side effect discussed much but apparently it’s possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Being nervous around needles is incredibly rare so of course they’re suspicious of it.

Nah, it’s more common than not even with the drat near imperceptible needles they use for this shot. There’s people that completely pass out when they need a blood draw. You’re fine.

Back when mom got her first shot she told me there was this old man that freaked out and started to cry before the neddle even poked him. Bunch of nurses, a psychologist and even a random pastor that showed out of nowhere tried to calm him.Poor guy was afraid the vaccine was going to kill him.