Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Grenades are okay. But I have a pile of pumpkin seeds so large that Spitz is coming with a bushel wagon for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I use plasma grenades on occasion but that's mostly because I've got Demo slotted at 3*

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I maxed out demolition expert because it helps a little with my auto combat rifle with explosive damage. Takes it from 83 to 91 damage.

Of course when something walks right up on me and I shoot, I take bunch of damage, but that's why I have 20+ stimpaks all the time.

Grenades are great when you can post up in something like Mama Dulce's Feed the People or the Tea Time event and just unload the excess weight of grenades on ghouls or ants or whatever low level enemy. I wouldn't focus a build on them, though.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 6, 2021

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thrown grenades are absolutely terrible. theres been so many times ive tossed one right at an enemies feet and it does no damage at all. ive had the same problem with explosive weapons unless i use vats.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They are terrible in general, but that's why I like using them on ghouls and bugs. Explosive bullet guns have been fine for me, but results are better in vats. That auto combat rifle is my daily driver, a vanilla deathclaw might run me a magazine outside of vats with all my misses.

Except the bow. When I put an explosive frame on it, wouldn't hit poo poo in vats. Like, run AP out entirely and not hit any of a pile of enemies 10 meters out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ASenileAnimal posted:

thrown grenades are absolutely terrible. theres been so many times ive tossed one right at an enemies feet and it does no damage at all. ive had the same problem with explosive weapons unless i use vats.

The problem there is that they don't really do a sphere of damage per-se, but it's just based on LoS from the grenade itself, which can result in a small obstruction completely shielding someone even though it really wouldn't give them any protection.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Of course when something walks right up on me and I shoot, I take bunch of damage, but that's why I have 20+ stimpaks all the time.

Having a Vampiric Explosive Shotgun helps me with this. I can hurt myself with the explosion (but not by much thanks to Fireproof) but I heal the damage I dealt. I almost never use stims.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

On PC and I spawned on someone on my team just as a nuke hit (Colossal Problem area) and had no HUD other than the team list and couldn't bring up any menus. Alt-F4'd and now I get an error: "Failed to download config from title storage [4:10:1]".

Bunch of people on Reddit reported this and Bethesda is looking into it. Looks like something that happens when some servers go down.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ASenileAnimal posted:

lol I hurled three plasma grenades directly at the feet of three Supermutants in a random encounter who were obligingly bunched up; zero damage from all three - like I don't have any points in Demo but I was expecting at least a shaving off the health bars. I can only assume the grenade code is wonky at the best of times.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just stopped carrying grenades at all.

Mines on the other hand... always entertaining.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I want to be able to place more than two mines at a time. I want to plant a minefield around my lead mining machine.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I might reroll after getting pissed off a couple of months ago, is it viable at all to use pistols?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Not really? I mean, maybe the 10mm submachine gun, matching perks maxed, but I haven't touched a pistol in a long time.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I missed the Watoga arena. And Blood Eagles on speed are always good for a laugh.
:allears:

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

I might reroll after getting pissed off a couple of months ago, is it viable at all to use pistols?

Gauss and Crusader pistols aren't bad if you use VATS but getting a good one will be a main quest on it's own...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hawowanlawow posted:

Pistols/Revolvers tend to use cheap ammo and are good for picking off low-level threats and getting crits for your other guns to use against larger threats

Pistol + VATS + Concentrated Fire is nothing to sneeze at

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Sorry for the barrage of questions, I do try to look some of this stuff up but some of the info seems outdated.

Like I was trying to look up how to best use legendary scrip since I capped out and got pretty confused. Most people keep saying wait for a sale... or stay around 900 or so and as a new player it doesn't really make sense to me. I also see people saying only use it for the legendary mods, but only after you have a plan for the mod you want. I'm level 62 and also got 15k caps burning a hole in my pocket. Any plans I should be looking out for on the player vendors?

Think I'm going to try to solo launch a nuke tonight :black101:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When you finish the vault 79 stuff, you can spend 6k caps a week on 300 gold bullion. Then use that bullion to buy plans.

I'm working on the T65 set, it's taken me a few weeks to get half of it. An individual plan for a piece of armor is at least 1000 gold bullion. Helmet is 1250 or 1500, chest is equally expensive, arms/legs are 1000 apiece, not paired up. Mods are cheaper, but the base suit is like 7000 bullion.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

katkillad2 posted:

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I do try to look some of this stuff up but some of the info seems outdated.

Like I was trying to look up how to best use legendary scrip since I capped out and got pretty confused. Most people keep saying wait for a sale... or stay around 900 or so and as a new player it doesn't really make sense to me. I also see people saying only use it for the legendary mods, but only after you have a plan for the mod you want. I'm level 62 and also got 15k caps burning a hole in my pocket. Any plans I should be looking out for on the player vendors?

Think I'm going to try to solo launch a nuke tonight :black101:

use the scrip to roll a bunch of 3 star legendaries at the rusty pick and yell at your tv when theyre all bad. you can also probably grab some good legendaries off of player vendors with all those caps. ammo helps too.

i launched a nuke solo and it was...not fun. i did it but i burned through all of my stimpacks, ammo, and fusion cores. it was actually miserable enough that i never want to do it again. bring power armor and lots of cores because those turrents are bullshit.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

i launched a nuke solo and it was...not fun. i did it but i burned through all of my stimpacks, ammo, and fusion cores. it was actually miserable enough that i never want to do it again. bring power armor and lots of cores because those turrents are bullshit.
I went all in on anti-armor (Stabilized + Final Word in an X-01 set) for the one time I did it and it was not really as hard as I was expecting, even with the turrets. But I could see why many other builds wouldn't do as well, even ones that blow through most other content.

Basically just make sure you can kill robots as fast as possible. Troubleshooter guns are good too.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

or stay around 900 or so and as a new player it doesn't really

save the scrip at 900 for when you start to streak on the primary legendary effect. legendary drops in this game are actually pretty streaky, and so if you're starting to get a run on the primary effect you want, go spend that 900 you've been saving,. you never know, you may end up with 1 single ok weapon.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
in case you were wondering, yes spawns are broken, and yes, bethesda knows, and they are working on it as quickly as possible. the fix should be pushed out with the next update. oh, when is the next update you ask? no idea.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

i flunked out posted:

in case you were wondering, yes spawns are broken, and yes, bethesda knows, and they are working on it as quickly as possible. the fix should be pushed out with the next update. oh, when is the next update you ask? no idea.
Please elaborate. :allears:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

Please elaborate. :allears:

If you do something like Tea Time, no enemies could show up. Or like 4 or 5 for the whole event.

It's Free Treasury Notes. Boring though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's so much broken poo poo, lol, bethesda.

Please tell me microsoft is at least investing some of their minecraft bux into fixing this loving mess.

Apparently the solution to enemies not coming up (diamond markers on the ground) is to drop a nuke on the area. I had cop a squatter earlier, nothing there but diamonds, then someone nuked the immediate area while I was loving off elsewhere and finished the quest for me. I can't say I expected it, but I'll take the rewards just the same.

No enemies at tea time saves a decent chunk of ammo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

First time I did Tea Time it was ghouls, fair enough. Second time the enemies were a no-show, lots of 'Confused' emotes. Just did it again tonight and the enemies were 90% small ants, absolute murder to target properly if you don't VATS them and they will chew a pipe away in short order and you can barely see them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Seems like there's a damage exploit out there now as well. I dropped into Earle's chamber right after the cave opened and he almost immediately started the health recovery. His healthbar went down quickly. Shot him a couple of times but no loot.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Seems like there's a damage exploit out there now as well. I dropped into Earle's chamber right after the cave opened and he almost immediately started the health recovery. His healthbar went down quickly. Shot him a couple of times but no loot.

Probably just someone with a super buffed up Melee build.
Ever since Tyr and Captainoob one shot him people try to recreate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74dmH887hb4

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

ASenileAnimal posted:

I drop nukes for sport. :)

First time can be rough but it all comes down to perks or armor.

If you are in PA you want the Legendary Energy Absorption perk. Trivializes the silo as the majority of the bots, and the turrets, use lasers that trigger it and keep you alive and your core full. If you don't have that yet, any fast fire rate vampire weapon will keep you alive and save a ton of stimpacks.

If you are any other build, go stealth and just avoid combat. The Chinese Stealth Suit is perfect for silos but if you have the sneak perks slotted in any set of armor will do.

One thing most people don't seem to know about the silos is that once you've initiated the launch prep, go to a spot that allows for a good overview of the room, stay crouched and don't move. Movement triggers bot spawns. That way you usually have to deal with just one more Assaultron and a handful of bots you can just snipe from a distance.

And, yes, once you've done the whole thing as intended, feel free to just use photomode and skip most of the bullshit. I'd not drop a ton of nukes if I had to run that shitshow legit every single time...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what's the purpose of the thread title specifying that this is for both fallout games in general AND for fallout 76? why not just call it the fallout thread?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Sensenmann posted:

If you are any other build, go stealth and just avoid combat. The Chinese Stealth Suit is perfect for silos but if you have the sneak perks slotted in any set of armor will do.

The Chinese Stealth Suit, that mission to get that was incredible by the way, was the method I used with a bow and it was relatively painless. I died twice due to some Assaultron shennanigans but other than that wasn't bad. Was fun to do once, but I think I'll leave it for other players from now on

Had Final Word for the Scorchbeast Queen and even with the wrong build I was still doing ok'ish damage I think. Blew through 2k ammo though.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mantis42 posted:

what's the purpose of the thread title specifying that this is for both fallout games in general AND for fallout 76? why not just call it the fallout thread?

Because a while back, there were some confused people in the thread thinking it was for 76 exclusively.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No one ever discusses anything but 76 and any attempt to do so would be drowned out by 76 talk so separating them would really make sense.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

is there even a big demand for non-76 Fallout talk? this thread isn’t exactly flying with 76 talk, I’m sure it can accommodate anybody who wants to talk the other games

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
People post about all the other fallouts in here all the time. 76 just had a patch so its all the rage. This thread isnt nearly active enough for anything to get drowned out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And just encountered someone in the game with a .50 BMG that would fire the entire magazine at once. Killed the boss of a daily op in a half-second.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I saw a probably year old video last night about OP weapons and the bloodied .50 cal machine gun was apparently ridiculously OP. No idea if it was nerfed, first time I'd heard of it. Gonna look for one later today anyhow.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a dedicated New Vegas thread that's less active than this one, any other Fallout games would probably be inactive.

At some point I could make an effortpost about building a character for Fallout 4 Survival, if anyone cares.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tried a charging barrel on the Vamp Gatling Laser I picked up, this thing should be doing a lot more damage per shot to make up for the slower fire rate; I was expecting a laser Gatling Gun but I'm not feeling it at all.

Also lol I tried it out on some Snallygasters in the train yard near Watoga, standing on top of a carriage to keep safe and they keep hitting me with poison spit and I'm instantly healing it off What do I have a healing / anti-poison armor equipped!?

The Vampire bit of the gun duh

I just want to find someone with plans / a mod for a Speedy Gatling Gun reciever, I'll go back to ballistics I think.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 8, 2021

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I saw a probably year old video last night about OP weapons and the bloodied .50 cal machine gun was apparently ridiculously OP. No idea if it was nerfed, first time I'd heard of it. Gonna look for one later today anyhow.

It was probably the limb damage one and AFAIK the limb damage bug was fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Designing a character for Fallout 4 Survival.

To choose your character’s SPECIAL points, the most important thing is choosing the perks you’ll take, rather than the boost they give to your stats. The biggest exception is the health boost from Endurance, which is a valid reason to max it out. A Melee build will want maximum Strength, a no-luck build will want maximum Intelligence, and a VATS build will want high Agility.

Strength: 1, 3, 6, or 10

Strength points increase your melee damage by 10% each, so a high Strength is vital for a melee build. Strength isn’t necessary if you’re planning to play a Lone Wanderer character. Armorer (3 Strength) is necessary if you plan to craft better armor, Strong Back (6 Strength) is useful if you don’t like inventory management, and Rooted (9 Strength) is top tier for a VATS melee build.

Perception: 1 or 4 or 7

Perception increases your accuracy in VATS, but a VATS build should do most of its fighting at close range anyway. You can find the Perception bobblehead very early in the game, which lets you take Rifleman (2 Perception). Rifles are the best overall primary weapon in the game. Perception points are only needed for a couple of specialized builds – explosive or shotgun users. Explosive users should take Demolition Expert (5 Perception). Shotgun users should take Sniper and mount a scope on their shotgun – from level 13 on, a non-automatic shotgun will usually (but not always) knock down the target.

Endurance: 3 or 10
You need a lot of health to survive in Survival. Each point of Endurance gives you 5 points of HP, plus an extra .5 per level – this adds up quickly. The minimum you should ever take is 3, so you can take Life Giver (3 Endurance) to survive the early levels. Aquaboy (5 Endurance) gives you the option to avoid any tough fight by jumping into a river, and Solar Powered provides fantastic radiation healing at level 29 without getting tired or needing to find a doctor. The other Endurance perks are generally not worth much.

Charisma: 1 or 3 or 8

When designing your character, you should choose whether you’ll travel with a companion or simply use Dogmeat. Lone Wanderer (3 Charisma) is a top tier perk, but useless if you have a companion. If you want to make a high charisma build, it’s worthwhile to take Inspirational to make your companion more powerful, or you could simply have 1 Charisma and spend those points elsewhere.

Intelligence: 2 or 10

Intelligence increases your level up rate, and levelling up quickly in Survival is essential. Every character should either have 10 Intelligence, or the Idiot Savant perk (5 Luck). The Medic perk (2 Intelligence) is very useful, increasing your healing rate and total healing, Gun Nut (3 Intelligence) is useful for anyone who wants to improve their guns, Chemist (7 Intelligence) is a very useful perk for winners who do drugs, and Nerd Rage! (10 Intelligence) is a top tier perk for any Survival build because it can save your life in a crisis.

Agility: 3 or 7 or 9

Agility contains the top-tier Sneak perk (3 Agility). Stealth is great for killing tough enemies, and the immunity to traps is also great because many of them will kill you instantly on Survival mode. It also contains the Gunslinger (1 Agility) and Commando (2 Agility) perks - every build should choose a primary weapon to specialize in. A stealthy or sniper build can use Ninja (7 Agility) for increased sneak attack damage. Blitz (9 Agility) is extremely useful for a VATS melee build, although it can be difficult to invest enough points into Strength, Agility, and Luck in the early game.

Luck: 1 or 5 or 7

You can get by without Luck if your Intelligence is set to 10, but any other build should use the best perk in the game, Idiot Savant. A VATS guns build should take various critical hit perks including [Better Criticals[/b] (6 Luck), Critical Banker (7 Luck), and eventually Four Leaf Clover (9 Luck). Four Leaf Clover isn’t very useful until your second rank of Critical Banker, so it doesn’t have to be an early priority.

Essential Perks: Idiot Savant (5 Luck) or having 10 Intelligence
Lifegiver (3 Endurance) or having 10 Endurance

Top Tier Perks: Medic (2 Intelligence), Lone Wanderer (3 Charisma), Sneak (3 Agility), Nerd Rage! (10 Intelligence)

Weapon perks (choose one): Iron Fist (1 Strength), Big Leagues (2 Strength), Heavy Gunner (5 Strength), Rifleman (2 Perception), Gunslinger (1 Agility), Commando (2 Agility)

Convenient perks: Scrounger (2 Luck), Locksmith (4 Perception), Hacker (4 Intelligence), Strong Back (6 Strength), Local Leader (6 Charisma), Solar Powered II (10 Endurance, Level 29)

Powerful, build-specific perks: Demolition Expert (5 Perception), Chemist (7 Intelligence), Ninja (7 Agility), Sniper (8 Perception), Rooted (9 Strength), Blitz (9 Agility)

Crafting perks: Armorer (3 Strength), Gun Nut (3 Intelligence), Blacksmith (4 Strength, Melee only), Science! (6 Intelligence)