  • Post
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2026 ALDS: Mariners vs Astros

(none of these games were very exciting; if anyone wants highlights of one let me know)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2026 ALCS: Mariners vs Yankees

HA. Yankees. That's where Trammell ended up.

Game 1 Highlights

SALVYYYYYYYYYYYYY

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2026 World Series: Mariners vs Dodgers

Game 1 Highlights

JACK loving LEITER, goddamn

Marginally ironic that the three series MVPs had somewhat or very disappointing regular seasons: Kaden Moeller, Drew Bowser, and Josh Lowe.

Leiter...probably should've been World Series MVP. 16 IP, 6 hits, 1 HR, 1.12 ERA....

Oh well.

PARADE TIME!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We head back to our office still covered with confetti and beer from the victory parade. We're a little bit tipsy -- euphoric, but tipsy.

We check our news feed. As expected, there's a bloodletting of baseball management across the league. GMs in Philly, Cleveland, and Atlanta are all out. Three (relatively) wealthy teams, one of which (Atlanta) is still loaded with talent, all of whom simply...underperformed.

And then there was this:

Maybe it was the beer and champagne. Maybe it was feeling like we'd done all we could in Seattle, and needed a new challenge. Maybe it was just straight masochism.

Whatever it was, we go into our Outlook, and begin crafting an email.

code:
From: A.Goon@mariners.com
To: John.Fisher@athletics.com
Subject: GM Opening

Mr. Fisher,

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We can still be friends, Seattle. It's just business, you know? We had a lot of great times, but the heart wants what it wants.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Nothing is more fun in ootp than taking an absolute garbage fire of a team and minor league system and turning it into a powerhouse over a few seasons. The game is probably a bit too "easy" but its such a consistently enjoyable gameplay loop that I don't really care.

e: that said the AI does seem a lot better in 22 in building consistently good teams. In 20 and 21 they'd often end up bogged down in giant contracts to terrible players and its obviously better at handling it now.

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 6, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

e: that said the AI does seem a lot better in 22 in building consistently good teams. In 20 and 21 they'd often end up bogged down in giant contracts to terrible players and its obviously better at handling it now.

Noticed the same -- they're relentless about not letting go of quality prospects unless they get something comparable in return, and trading away contracts is much harder also.

That being said the Yankees and Dodgers payrolls are lol and they're not shy about using their financial clout.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Goin' to California, are we? Ain't been there since '85. 1885, that is. Had a run-in with Buford "Mad Dog" Tannen out there and never went back. Well, kid, where you go, I go. I'm all in.

I'm in too, I guess. Going to work for the A's seem a bit like a movie to you?

And so, we head for the coast.

John Fisher hoodwinked us. Not two days after putting pen to paper as the new GM of the Oakland A's, Fisher -- who was a lenient if somewhat miserly owner -- sold his stake in the team to the Bay Area's most famous 104 year old billionaire:

Charles Montgomery Burns made his money in the energy game. Looking to relive fun times as a young man when he served as a water-getter for the indy ballclub Zephyrs, Mr. Burns knows little about modern baseball and even less about modern business. He's here to win though: he's as demanding and interfering as Steinbrenner, but as miserly as Bob Nutting. In short, he expects us to win, and win big, with no resources. It should be noted though,once upon a time, Mr. Burns assembled possibly the greatest team ever, though they never actually played a competitive game together.

Fortunately, as he's over 100 years old, he might die soon and hand off ownership to his son Larry. Larry also knows absolutely nothing about baseball; he's just here to make some cash and drink some cocktails.

Mr. Burns' assistant meets us at the bus station. We cram into the back of his Geo and ride to the corporate offices. Inside we go...and then back outside. To what appears to be some sort of toolshed.

"Here's your new office! Let me know if you need anything!"

I call a chair with a headrest.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Eeeeeeeeexcellent

Remember also that Burns rapidly disassembled the best baseball team ever partly with his mismanagement. Here's hoping the personality you gave him makes him have capricious and bizarre demands.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We have a serious mess to sort through here. First, here's a data dump for our new team:

TEAM SALARIES (was too big to get a screenshot of)

What a loving gong show. We have a handful of possible MLB-caliber prospects, a horde of AAAA guys, a coaching staff that appears completely incompetent, and next to no money.

Alright.

Well, the good news:
- We only have 2 long-term contracts, and one of those (Olson) is up after next season
- We have a BRAND NEW BALLPARK!

Jack London Park was built down on the old waterfront, and was immediately lauded as one of the most beautiful ballparks ever constructed. It is, however, among the smallest in baseball -- only 34,598 at full capacity. Park factors are mostly neutral, with a slight advantage to righty power bats.

From where I sit, the first two steps have to be setting our roster strategy and getting the coaching team together.

You all know the drill by now. I know we just did this, but situations change. Vote down below.

As for the coaching team, here's our possibilities should we choose to fire any or all of them.

Manager

Donnie Sadler developed an outstanding reputation for getting the best out of players of all types while developing their tools; he's the hot AAA manager right now. He plays a conventional game.

Joe Maddon is still hanging around; he's 72 years old now but his credentials are immaculate. He loves the sabermetric game.

Joe Borowski is a tactical manager who tends to get the most out of pitchers and is well-loved by his players.

Jayce Tingler is a smallball disciple who just got let go by the Padres. He did well with the Dads, but...probably not as well as he could have considering how loaded they were (3 playoffs in 6 years, no pennants).

Hitting Coach

Jose Canseco. Yes, that Jose Canseco. He's not a joke either - he did a great job with the Mets the last 5 seasons.

Jorge Cantu. He's coming out of the Braves minor leagues and was responsible for developing a lot of their current superbats.

Pitching Coach

Johnny Shuttlesworth is a young gun at only 37, unproven, but data-driven and very smart.

Pat Hentgen did the best he could in Coors. He's well-regarded but his track record isn't great. Then again, he was in Coors, and had nothing to work with.

VOTE

Manager:
1. Sadler
2. Maddon
3. Borowski
4. Tingler
5. Retain Oscar Ramirez

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco
2. Cantu
3. Retain Ruben Tejada

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth
2. Hentgen
3. Retain Scott Emerson

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects
2. Trash Heap Players
3. Veteran Trades
4. Free Agents

Roster Strategy
1. Tank hard this year and next year.
2. Tank hard this year.
3. Push this year.

Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics
2. Smallball
3. Tactics

General Priorities
1. Hitting
2. Pitching

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Contact
3. Eye
4. Defense
5. Speed

Pitcher priorities:
1. Velocity
2. Control
3. Movement

1. Starters
2. Relievers

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

Eeeeeeeeexcellent

Remember also that Burns rapidly disassembled the best baseball team ever partly with his mismanagement. Here's hoping the personality you gave him makes him have capricious and bizarre demands.

l should work with that picture...

edit - that's a bit better

He demands we extend the tattered remains of Noah Syndergaard, who hasn't pitched more than 40 innings in a season since 2021 and whose had no fewer than 4 major arm/shoulder injuries.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 6, 2021

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Manager:
1. Sadler

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco

Pitching Coach:
2. Hentgen

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year.

Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics

General Priorities
2. Pitching

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact
5. Speed

Pitcher priorities:
3. Movement

1. Starters

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bewbies posted:

He demands we extend the tattered remains of Noah Syndergaard, who hasn't pitched more than 40 innings in a season since 2021 and whose had no fewer than 4 major arm/shoulder injuries.

Excellent.

I also noted that our goal for next year is "Don't suck completely."

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
VOTE

Manager:
1. Sadler

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco

Pitching Coach:
2. Hentgen

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
2. Trash Heap Players

Roster Strategy
3. Push this year.
Look at not tanking this way, you ain't gonna win, so may as well learn which of your guys can win. This is a vote to experiment. You lock onto anything, you push it hard.

Team Strategy
3. Tactics

General Priorities
1. Hitting

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
3. Eye
1. Power

Pitcher priorities:
1. Velocity

1. Starters

Edit
Oh, that interference is exactly what I was aiming for. Splendid.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd note that one of our goals is to improve the rep of our manager, so sticking with our current guy is unwise since what Monty wants, Monty gets.

VOTE

Manager:
2. Maddon - Seems like his type of thing, tbh.

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco - I demand the finest steroids for our players in the land.

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth - We're gonna need to eek out every advantage we can.

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects - Next year is going to suck, but we'll get a couple rounds of high draft picks!

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year. - We don't really have a choice, we're gonna have to try not to lose 100 games this coming year. We can get ourselves set up to make a run at .500 in year two, though.

Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics - Matches the inclinations of Maddon and Shuttlesworth.

General Priorities
1. Hitting - Specifically, beefy boys bombing blimp-scrapers to the bay and beyond.

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Contact

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control - Walks are poison.
&
1. Starters - unless we want to go full bore 15 pitchers on the roster using openers for everything.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

habeasdorkus posted:

[...]

Not an empty quote because I'm going to say I'm interested to see what we do going completely opposite our Seattle strat.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One more voting question on an issue that eluded me:

Josh Gibson is the A's top prospect but doesn't appear as such on the list because they called him up for no good reason last year. We'd put in place a rule that we couldn't trade for or draft any LEGENDS OF BASEBALL that we put in the game, but us switching teams and having a LEGEND OF BASEBALL in the org was not discussed.

Unfortunately, it looks like the A's did a number on Gibson's development, and he now projects more like a decent big league catcher than an all-time great.

Anyway, do we:

1) Trade him away, probably for an A-/B+ prospect
2) Keep him and hope for the best.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bewbies posted:

One more voting question on an issue that eluded me:

Josh Gibson is the A's top prospect but doesn't appear as such on the list because they called him up for no good reason last year. We'd put in place a rule that we couldn't trade for or draft any LEGENDS OF BASEBALL that we put in the game, but us switching teams and having a LEGEND OF BASEBALL in the org was not discussed.

Unfortunately, it looks like the A's did a number on Gibson's development, and he now projects more like a decent big league catcher than an all-time great.

Anyway, do we:

1) Trade him away, probably for an A-/B+ prospect
2) Keep him and hope for the best.

2) Keep him - and do whatever we can to try and fix him.

Also, he got into 9 games... what did they do? Call him up from like high-A and leave him on the bench all season?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Trade him

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
VOTE

Manager:
2. Maddon
Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco - Beefy Boys

Pitching Coach:
1. Shuttlesworth

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year.
Team Strategy
1. Sabermetrics - gently caress it, moneyball these A's

General Priorities
1. Hitting - Big hits everywhere

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
1. Power
2. Eye

Pitcher priorities:
2. Velocity
1. Starters

Keep Gibson, let us have these small mercies.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

bewbies posted:

VOTE

Manager:
1. Sadler

Hitting Coach:
1. Canseco

Pitching Coach:
2. Hentgen

Roster Strategy

Player acquisition
1. Build through prospects

Roster Strategy
2. Tank hard this year.

Team Strategy
3. Tactics

General Priorities
1. Hitting

Hitter Priorities (pick 2)
2. Contact
3. Eye

Pitcher priorities:
2. Control
3. Movement

1. Starters

Also, keep Gibson and see if he can be fixed.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training
February 25, 2027

Looks like we're going to be taking a much more offensive-oriented approach in Oakland, while focusing on starting pitching and building prospects from the ground up!

Pete and Pete take their respective places as Assistant GM and Scouting Director.

We sign Donnie Sadler as our new skipper, Jose Canseco to juice coach our hitters, and Pat Hentgen to coach the pitchers. Note: I accidentally signed Hentgen to coach our AAA team and he accepted, so that saves us some money I guess. He then got promoted. Anyway.

I'll spare everyone the gory details of our arbitration era; suffice it to say, of 18 eligible players, we extended contracts to only 4: Hudson Head, Reggie Crawford, Alfonso Rivas, and Tyler Soderstrom. We also offered a 1 year deals to Michal McGreevy and Livan Soto. Everyone else from that abortion of a ball club last year is on their way out the door.

Note: an astonishing number of those guys were acquired via waivers. This ballclub is in BAD shape.

Matt Olson won another gold glove at 1B; Bennie and Bobbie claimed another couple of their own.

Bobby Bats and J-Rod win silver sluggers. The A's...do not have any silver sluggers.

Leiter wins Cy Young. J-Rod wins MVP over Kelenic. Marson wins manager of the Year. Hell of a season in Seattle.

That leaves just one big question:

WHERE DOES ALL THIS LEAVE US??

Catcher, we actually have kind of an embarrassment of riches. Sean Murphy is easily our best player, and Tyler Soderstrom one of our best prospects. Jesus Galiz is close behind; he's not got the bat of Soderstrom but is an elite defender. And then, we have Josh Gibson. He may not wind up being a HOME RUN KING, but he's got a solid bat and huge arm, and still projects as an above average ML hitter.

1B: Reggie Crawford is a former blue chipper who is now a bat-only 1B/DH. He hasn't come close to reaching his potential yet, but I can see a 400 OBP with 35-40 dingers if he puts it together. Matt Olson is overpaid but has a tremendous 1B glove and hits lots of dingers.

2B: Livan Soto is a glove-only guy. Replacement level. Anthony Vople is AAAA at best.

SS: Basically just two AAAA guys, at best.

3B: Jordan Thompson is a glove only 3B. Which, not what you want at 3B.

In the OF: Hudson Head, Alfonso Rivas, and Bryan Buelvas are all roughly replacement-level COFs. Tatum Marsh is an all-glove CF who might hit some home runs as he fills out. Everyone else is AAA at best.

SPs: Julio Gonzalez has 2/3 potential but isn't there yet. Jack Perkins and Brady Tygart might be #3 guys, eventually. Everyone else is AAA at best.

RPs. Angel Felipe isn't embarassing. Everyone else is.

Holy poo poo, what a mess.

Look, from where I sit, this is an exercise in damage control. Like, as in the ship already sunk, and most of the lifeboats also sank, and we're trying to keep the remaining crew from being eaten by sharks. We only won 47 games last season for gently caress's sake.

First, we should probably move some of our catcher assets to plug some other holes. Sean Murphy is actually tradeable - he's a top 5 MLB catcher on a solid contract, but we have plenty of youngsters behind him, and his salary isn't helping us do much of anything right now anyway. We swap him for Nasim Nunez; a glove-only SS. But, what a glove - he's won a couple gold gloves, actually. He's in the last year of TC and is making about $10m.

Second, we actually have a bite on Matt Olson. The Yankees (of course) will take him off our hands for a minor leaguer. It leaves a hole at 1B, but clears salary and completely empties our books for next season. We don't NEED to trade Olson, but we could potentially find an easy backfill at 1B for him that has more long-term potential and save $22 mil in the process.

Trading away the last two A's of the MONEYBALL era tanks fan interest, but it was already pretty bad. Mr. Burns is thrilled we saved almost $40 million in salary.

As we're planning to more-or-less tank this season, we won't go after any marquee free agents. We'll fill some holes later in free agency and, of course, scour Rule 5.

Rule 5 is productive, relatively speaking. We snag:

Leody Taveras, a decent CF glove who was actually 1.5 WAR for the Rangers last year; Christopher Soriano, a lefty reliever, Sam Bello, who throws very hard, and Wilny Moron, who throws even harder.

We're the only team that takes anyone in Rule 5.

Shortly after the Rule 5 draft, Charles Montgomery Burns...dies. Larry Burns takes over ownership of the club. He's much less a tightwad than his dad, but just as interested in meddling in the team:

We go into the spring with some huge holes to fill. Pete...?

Alright kid; we have a bad team and not much time. This spring, we're going to concentrate on finding corner infielders...because, let's face it: ours suck.

For possibilities at 1B, we have the following. None cost more than a B prospect, and all are pre-arb or earlier.

Tyler Locklear. Right hand power bat should play well in our park, along with a solid 1B glove. Will strike out quite a bit.

Coby Mayo is more of an OBP guy, but could be worth 30 dingers if he gets hot.

Colton Cowser is an absolute OBP monster who can also play COF competently but he'll struggle to hit 20+ dingers.

And at 3B, we have:

Gunnar Henderson has a middling 3B glove, but he has a nice power bat.

Gabriel Rodriguez is a solid glove/bat combo with a good record in the minors.

Luke Napolitano has a potentially fantastic bat and can play both 2B and 3B, but below average glove at both.

Any of these kids look good to you? Let me know and we'll bring them in for the spring.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also I just looked: Pedro Uribe's line (the knuckleballer from the last draft) in rookie ball: 7.1 IP, 24 hits, 17 ER, 4.23 WHIP.

Small sample size, but that knuckleball may not be knuckling enough....

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

bewbies posted:

Also I just looked: Pedro Uribe's line (the knuckleballer from the last draft) in rookie ball: 7.1 IP, 24 hits, 17 ER, 4.23 WHIP.

Small sample size, but that knuckleball may not be knuckling enough....

Open up the editor and put that knuckleball to 250

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Locklear and Henderson

Bash bros mk. 2

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
"The call me Gunnaaaaaar!"
"And I'm Ty."

They gonna bash it out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

Locklear and Henderson

Bash bros mk. 2

YUP.

Rest in Piss Chuck Burns.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day 2027

Spring training goes -- uh -- alright. No serious injuries, aside from Jordan Hicks who was trying to make the ballclub as an invitee. He can still hit triple digits but holy hell that injury history.

We went 6-22, so..."alright" is relative.

We trade for Tyler Locklear and Gunnar Henderson, using a throw-in (kid named John Behn) from the Locklear trade to snag Henderson in true OAKLAND A'S fashion.

We bring in RHP Chris Hanley (2.0/5.0) for a nothing prospect. He's a pure reliever with one good pitch (fastball) and one pitch that needs work (slider) but Pete thinks he can be great in one-inning increments.

We bring in another young reliever, Connor Hegen (2.5/4.0) who is kind of small but has a killer curveball.

Josh Gibson has a nice spring; he might still be on a star pathway. We'll send him down and make SURE he gets a lot of playing time behind the dish -- he did still hit 371/406/661 in high A last year, so reports of his demise may have been...premature. Even Pete has to admit he jumped the gun.

Alfonso Rivas doesn't make the club somehow. Rather than expose him on waivers, we trade him for RP prospect Mike Taylor, a fastball/curveball guy still at least a year out from the bigs.

Tyler Locklear has a nice spring and makes the starting lineup; Gunnar Henderson can't beat out incumbent Jordan Thompson which...is not a great look there, Pete.

Sadler also goes with Jesus Galiz over Tyler Soderstrom; it may be worth looking at trading Soderstrom later in the year as well as he's too good to be a backup.

Reggie Crawford also loses his full time DH gig, which is a baaaaaad look. He may be trade bait later in the year.

Opening Day Roster

1. Leody Tavaras, LF
2. Livan Soto, 2B
3. Tyler Locklear, 1B
4. Hudson Head, DH
5. Brayan Buelvas, RF
6. Nasim Nunez, SS
7. Jesus Galiz, C
8. Jordan Thompson, 3B
9. Tatum Marsh, CF

Tyler Soderstrom, C
Reggie Crawford, 1B/DH
Anthony Volpe, IF
Gunnar Henderson, IF/OF

Julio Gonzalez
Ross Carver
Jack Perkins
Jack Leftwich
Brady Tygart

Connor Hegan (CL)
Michael McGreevy
Deivi Dias (L)
Christopher Soriano (L)
Wilny Moron
Sam Bello
Angel Felipe

We are predicted to win 64 games.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 7, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Being in the same division as our previous juggernaut is gonna be rough, but they're gonna run out of budget soon. We sure didn't make things easy for our replacement.

Gonna have to watch the waivers like crazy till we get some development.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

quote:

Josh Gibson has a nice spring; he might still be on a star pathway. We'll send him down and make SURE he gets a lot of playing time behind the dish -- he did still hit 371/406/661 in high A last year, so reports of his demise may have been...premature. Even Pete has to admit he jumped the gun.

:unsmigghh:

Yeah, this is a season Bewbies is gonna end up playing in 3 day increments to check the waiver wire constantly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2027 MLB Draft

Usually Pete and Pete handle our drafting needs as it'd take forever to go through as a group, but being as we have -- for the first time ever in one of these LPs -- the FIRST OVERALL PICK, and since that pick is probably going to be pretty important in the rebuilding of this franchise, I thought we'd do it as a group.

As I see it kid, there's really four possibilities for the number one pick.

3B Aiden Harris. A 20 year old college 3B. Huge, huge power potential. Good contact hitter down the line, high OBP numbers. Elite hands and arm; projects as a plus-plus 3B glove or elite COF. ML-ready this season or next.

SP Tommy Coressel. 22 year old college senior. Triple digit heat and four solid pitches. A bit on the small side, but an inning-eater. Clear ace potential, floor is 2/3 starter. Ready this year or next.

CF Chris Berry. Elite OBP producer, solid -- potentially plus -- glove in CF. Good but not great power. Absolutely destroys righty pitching, struggles vs lefties. SB monster in college; can put up 20 SB in the majors.

SS Chris Groce. High school SS. Extremely projectable bat - will be an elite power/contact combo with a decent number of walks. Defense is inconsistent but very projectable -- at a minimum, looks a plus 3B, might make it up to plus SS. Raw, 3-4 years ETA at a minimum.

Those are the options, kid. What do you think?

VOTE

1. Harris
2. Coressell
3. Berry
4. Groce

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't think we can go wrong with Harris or Coressell, but finding a stud starting pitcher is probably going to be a lot harder than a good 3B so I'm leaning towards Coressell.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm going for Coressell.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Coressell

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Any but Berry.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Phwoar, Aiden. Projects to Plus contact, Plus Discipline, and Plus Plus Power. His range ain't great, but he's got the softest hands around and a howitzer arm. He'd stick at 3B for a while and have a shot at 50 dingers in a season. All while being a year and a half younger than Berry. Literally my only concern would be his tendency to get frustrated when facing adversity. Because every player struggles at some point coming up, and thus far in his life he hasn't. And that's not something to overlook, the joint-best Baseball Movie's plot is driven by a dude with a million dollar arm and a 5 cent head. But still. That power.

Tommy Corresel... I can see it. I don't love his stuff/movement/control all topping out at merely plus, and strikes me as the type of guy who might top out at a #3 starter. But if he actually ends up with 4 plus pitches to go with the physical tools then he could be very good for a few years until his arm blows out. He's cerebral, too. If that translates to the mound he'll make extremely good use of his pitches. I wouldn't call slightly above average stamina an "innings-eater" tho.

Chris Berry is already pretty developed, I don't think he's going to be a CF at the big league level. Even as a RF, though, he should be pretty good. He'd already be a solid contributor if his hit tool gets to plus, but he simply doesn't swing at bad pitches. I can see a regular .400 OBP from this kid through his mid-late 20s, to go with 20-30 dingers and 15-20 steals. I also like that he focuses on the essentials. Nothing is more essential than "see the ball, hit the ball."

Groce appears to have reached high school fully formed, his stats are identical across all four seasons. Stats at that level are literally pointless, but I'd still like to have seen some improvement between ages 15-18. I also don't think he'll stick at SS, he'd either slide over to 2B or 3B. 2B would be a waste of his plus plus arm, 3B would be a waste of the wonderment that is his pivot on the double play. The other thing about high schoolers is that they're harder to project than college players, just because they're so much younger. If his approach at the plate improves and he gets to Plus discipline he's going to be an all star. If his eye ends up grading out Minus, he's going to struggle to produce even with Plus contact and power. If ol' Monty were still alive I'd argue strongly against, because we'd be risking getting canned before he develops. With Failson Burns, we'd be able to see if he made good.

I think we should go with Aiden Harris. Good 3B are extremely hard to find.

e: Also, we can call him the "Bashbino"

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 7, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also voting for Harris

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2027 All Star Break

League News

Don't look now, but the Baltimore Orioles, Miami Red Wings, and Colorado Rockies are all in first place!

Mike Trout's late career resurgence nets him another Home Run Derby Title. He basically can't field anymore, but man can he hit the ball. He may challenge the home run record when all is said and done.

Matt Olson leads the league in home runs. Lol, fine.

Kelenic does what Kelenic does; looks on pace for another MVP.

Usaburo SINNER Konishi locks in as the best reliever in the bigs.

Team News

On June 15th, we were in 2nd place and 7 games over .500.

Then...the wheels fell off.

Leody Tavares out for the year with a broken ankle.

Ross Carver out for months, also with an ankle.

And finally, one of our best relievers, Angel Felipe, blows his arm out so badly his career is over.

Oh, and Chris Hanley, one of the young relievers we just traded for, blows his UCL and is out for a calendar year. "Durable" my rear end.

We sign Felix Lopez as a 16 year old international. He plays CF now, but projects as a decent COF glove. The exciting thing about this kid is he looks like a drat clone of Giancarlo Stanton, but is said to be far more durable. 6'6" tower of right handed hitting power, this one. He won't be around the big club for many years, but he's an exciting one to get into the pool.

Draft pundits (and Pete) had Aiden Harris as the top pick in this draft; we surprise them all by taking Tommy Coressel to be our Ace of the Future!

In the 2nd, we snag an great power/speed combo in Nate Jackson.

In the 3rd, we get hard throwing reliever Joe Getts.

Julio Gonzalez is one of baseball's best pitchers in the first half.

We ride a good bullpen and great defense to the 2nd best runs-allowed in baseball. The difference in ERA and FIP maybe....telling, however.

We meet Coressel's bonus demand; he enters the list as the #2 overall prospect. Not too shabby...now let us all pray that his arm does not fall off.

VOTE

The only real question mark we have right now is Tyler Soderstrom. He's too good to be a backup, but Sadler won't play him full time because his defense is spotty. There's a lot of interest around the league in him, and Gibson is coming up probably next season.

Should we trade away a good young catcher? Normally that'd be a terrible idea, but a lot of teams will overpay and we have an immediate backfill.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 7, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Are there any good glove, cheap shortstops who can OPS over .600? Because, uh, that seems like a position of need right now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Are there any good glove, cheap shortstops who can OPS over .600? Because, uh, that seems like a position of need right now.

WHY WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN

These other GMs cling to young shortstops with good gloves like a bad case of herpes; after a lot of searching, Pete comes up with Jordan Medellin (2.5/3.0) as a potential option. He has an elite glove at 2B and SS (not Benny great, but potential gold glover if he played in a different league) and could potentially OPS above 700. He's also a switch hitter and a great clubhouse presence.

Best of all, he's available for Soderstrom plus a nothing prospect.

Pull the trigger on this kid?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3