Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I just signed up for EVGAs line queue thing. When should I expect to be able to purchase my card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Next year at the earliest. Not even joking.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I just signed up for EVGAs line queue thing. When should I expect to be able to purchase my card?

Depends on the model. If it was a non-Ultra, the most likely outcome is "never". They aren't in production, and won't be until demand dies down which doesn't seem likely.

If it is an Ultra, the 3080 FTW3 line has moved has moved about 4 days since launch in September, the 3070 FTW3 Ultra has moved about 2 weeks since its launch in October.

At those rates, the answer is also likely "never" because you will have moved on or bought something else by the time your slot comes up.

e: in EVGAs defense, I have gotten 4 notifications. bought 1, gave 1 to a goon, and let 2 expire because i didnt want to deal with selling them. But the only people the queue is really gonna work for is weirdos like me who got lucky and pressed notify on every sku before they announced the plan in the first place.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 6, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Dallas Microcenter looks to be having drops on Monday and Friday, so naturally, today there were 10+ waiting in line at 9:50 A.M. :chanpop:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Rookie rear end numbers

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I bought a GT 210 and signed up for the warranty and also the Step-Up, I picked the 3060 Ti but that's probably the most popular card with the 3080. Are people getting upgrades this way, just wait a few months? Buying the 10 year warranty for $20 sounds too good to be true.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

strangehamster posted:

I bought a GT 210 and signed up for the warranty and also the Step-Up, I picked the 3060 Ti but that's probably the most popular card with the 3080. Are people getting upgrades this way, just wait a few months? Buying the 10 year warranty for $20 sounds too good to be true.

For the 3060ti step up line, "a few months" will likely mean 1 year.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah didn’t somebody in this thread recently say that they signed up for the 3090 Step Up in April and already got their Step 2 email? I feel like they mentioned signing up in late April.

But some of the other step up lines? Holy cow. I was lucky that I signed up for the 3080 on release day, but even then it took about six months to get my Step 2 email.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

So really I should have bought four cards, then entered each queue. My mistake. I wonder if the new Ti cards will be allowed as step-ups in the next 90 days.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I should clarify that I was talking about Evga’s notify queue not the Step-Up program. No idea where the Step-Up program is, but it seems to be getting more stock than the notify queue.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The 3090 is reportedly the easiest (""""easiest"""") card to get, both in store and from the various queues. It's just too ridiculous for most people and I assume the payoff timescale doesn't make it worthwhile for the bitcoin assholes.

I signed up for the 3080 XC3 less than 24 hours after they put the notify button on the page, a month before they decided to use the notifications as a queue thing, and then they decided to not even manufacture the XC3 model. lomarf.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I signed up for the 3080 XC3 less than 24 hours after they put the notify button on the page, a month before they decided to use the notifications as a queue thing, and then they decided to not even manufacture the XC3 model. lomarf.

I remember a 3080 review that concluded with something like, "the 3080 FTW3 ULTRA is a great card, but at $810 it's overpriced and we know 99% of you are not going to use that 450W vbios, so just wait for the cheaper XC3 model if you want an EVGA card"

September 2020 was so long ago :allears:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
EVGA is definitely selling/making 3080 XC3s, I got the XC3 ultra via their notify system. They even knocked it down to the original price it was going for when I joined the queue.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

One of the discord's reported a bunch of bots opening up sign-ups this week.

One is like $150 a month with Autocheckout and a *$600* 'set up' fee.

So pretty much need to scalp a card or two for it to balance out.

I have a key to this one now. It's a $600 one-time setup fee and then $99/month or $249/three months after that. I... haven't decided what to do with it yet.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

mutata posted:

I have a key to this one now. It's a $600 one-time setup fee and then $99/month or $249/three months after that. I... haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Get the three month subscription and open an SA Mart thread?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

EVGA is definitely selling/making 3080 XC3s, I got the XC3 ultra via their notify system. They even knocked it down to the original price it was going for when I joined the queue.

There are three XC3 models, and they of course have only been selling the most expensive one of those. There's only like a 20 dollar difference but the people who picked either of the two lower-end versions are out of luck. According to the reddit spreadsheet one of them hasn't been shipped since December 21st, and the other has not shipped a single unit at all.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 6, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

strangehamster posted:

Get the three month subscription and open an SA Mart thread?

Certainly an option! I think they let in a bunch of folks today, though, and now I'm concerned actual successful checkouts will be rarer. That's a pretty big overhead to make back with simple tips. You almost have to go full rear end in a top hat scalper just to break even.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I feel like this is exactly the path every grift takes. First you make the money by doing the thing, then you make the money by teaching someone else to do the thing when it's not worth your time anymore.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Alucard posted:

I feel like this is exactly the path every grift takes. First you make the money by doing the thing, then you make the money by teaching someone else to do the thing when it's not worth your time anymore.

Pretty much. It pays to be extremely wary of anyone that wants to share their secret of how to make money easily. If I found a money tree out in the woods I'm sure as poo poo not telling people where it is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alucard posted:

i talked about this awhile back and i still think it's more or less true.

CoolCab posted:

i think mining is making a non-trivial chunk of demand don't get me wrong and particular cards were hit super hard (i want to say the 3060ti was a sweet spot for mining but i don't know enough to understand why) but i suspect the 30 launch would have been a total clusterfuck even had bitcoin remained a sparkle in satoshi nakamoto's eye. pandemic means demand for pc equipment has never been higher and has disrupted supply in various direct and indirect ways. honestly i suspect automated purchasing towards speculation is the particular new technological hotness that is driving this social ill.

CoolCab posted:

it is being democratized, i have heard that is the new innovation. bots are a bespoke artisanal service you rent or subscribe to - techniques developed for buying high end sneakers eventually gets applied to anything where there's a potential to gouge. bot maker gets a sizeable subscription fee without taking on any of the risk and lots of little guy mom and pop style scalper operations crop up to turn a few thousand bucks into a few thousand more.

like, it's a good hustle in a post stimulus environment - lots of money sloshing around, lots of people are willing to take the risk for the reward of a good old fashioned gouge that people will be willing to, begrudgingly, afford. hell of an economic incentive for the programmers to build better bots - probably something of an arms race going on.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mutata posted:

reverse engineer it and find out where their proxies are and if they appear illegal or part of a botnet, report 'em

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is ATR Stonks...gone?

I can't find a link anywhere or the dude's youtube.

NVM I'm dumb. Nerdspeak kept coming up when I googled it, but clearly that wasn't what I wanted :downs:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the point of getting a 3090 instead of a 3080? What's the purpose of the RAM increase?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the point of getting a 3090 instead of a 3080? What's the purpose of the RAM increase?

You get the fastest video card on the market for double the cost of the second fastest video card on the market.

For gaming it doesn't make sense at all, but I'm sure there's some niche situation where it's actually necessary

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's good for AI stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

The "point" of getting the 3090 is that when you take into account scalped prices, the scalping-percentage of a 3090 is lower than the scalping-percentage of a 3080, such that you're getting more bang-for-the-buck (as opposed to this NOT being true if you were buying the cards at MSRP)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's slightly easier to be able to put in your cart and you don't want to deal with eBay.

I guess for ML and people who do a lot of GPU-accelerated video production content it's pretty good for how much VRAM you get but yeah for gaming it is a horrendous value.

Still glad I bought one in November though, better than dealing with the mess it is now

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shipon posted:

Still glad I bought one in November though, better than dealing with the mess it is now

Absolutely, I got one a while back, and a friend needs to upgrade now. I knew it was bad, but this is insane.

The discord looks to be averaging about one 3080 drop a day.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Like I'd think with all that RAM the 3090 would be much less impacted by resolution bumps than the 3080.

Bondematt posted:

The discord looks to be averaging about one 3080 drop a day.

I assume the odds of me actually getting a 3080 when it drops on the discord, even if I act quickly, is essentially zero?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Like I'd think with all that RAM the 3090 would be much less impacted by resolution bumps than the 3080.

I assume the odds of me actually getting a 3080 when it drops on the discord, even if I act quickly, is essentially zero?

Even at 4k with all the raytracing on, Cyberpunk 2077 uses like 9 GB of VRAM. It is bumping up rather close and I'm sure at 4k with all the bells and whistles on pretty soon it'll be an issue but anything below that still has a ways to go.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I sold a 1070ti for 3500 NOK. My second pc is now back to using 290x (nostalgic) but it just has to drive ham radio programs now. Cant wait to bubble bobble burst so i can swim in gfx cards.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
This thread feels like hunting Varsoon the undying or jboots or some poo poo.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

punk rebel ecks posted:

I signed up 2 days after they went live on the 3080 back in September. I was able to get a card myself through Best Buy before my queue spot hit. When it did finally hit back in February I gave my spot to a friend.

Which card did you queue for?

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 7, 2021

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wet_goods posted:

This thread feels like hunting Varsoon the undying or jboots or some poo poo.

gently caress Drelzna, man. I know there are worse camps, but that was the only one I ever participated in. Hell I camped Fishbone Earrings on three chars and all three combined was about 10 minutes (the first two camps years apart the guy was 1) up when I got there, and 2) dropped on the kill!).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

I signed up 2 days after they went live on the 3080 back in September. I was able to get a card myself through Best Buy before my queue spot hit. When it did finally hit back in February I gave my spot to a friend.

Which card did you queue for?

Three of the 3080s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

punk rebel ecks posted:

3080s go for 3090 prices (if you can get one) so why not?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

punk rebel ecks posted:

Correct. I dont know the situation now, but a few months back all the bots picked off the cards before you could get it into your cart.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Bondematt posted:

Correct. I dont know the situation now, but a few months back all the bots picked off the cards before you could get it into your cart.

The bots are picking off cards just as quick if not quicker.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

slidebite posted:

3080s go for 3090 prices (if you can get one) so why not?

This is basically why I'm just going to ask for/buy the 3090 if I get offered one when I head into the EVGA step-up in the next week.

I've been in the queue for a 3080, any 3080, there for over six months, and it'll probably be another six, at least, before I do otherwise, and I live in Canada, and don't have access to any of the under the table/"flexible" ways of getting one.

This RX550 RED DRAGON POWER COLOR I had to buy to get my new PC running, which I had to build to replace my old one when it suddenly died, graphics card and all, in march, just...isn't cutting it.

So yeah, even after buying a mouse I didn't need to get into the EVGA Elite program for the 3080ti, when it sells out immediately and the queue to sign up for one forms 4 to 6 months long in 30 seconds, if I can buy a 3090 first, then gently caress it. I'll buy one, and pay off the extra cost for the half/full year I'll have a modern GPU rather than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

punk rebel ecks posted:

TBH, none of that really matters right now. Whichever card you can get without paying the 2x-3x resale tax is the right answer.