Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
my post was extending empathy for a bad opinion because i understand where it came from, not offering it a springboard, thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

2 hours means you are finding it too hard.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Bernie aside, this is one of my favorite rooms in the game. I know atmospheric storytelling or whatever has become kind of a joke, but there's just so much of it in the game and this is one of the prime examples. Here is the Queen's pleasure garden, where the bug aristocracy may relax and safely ponder the savage wilderness outside the glass. Other favorite rooms:

The top dome of the Soul Sanctum: Ornately furnished, where noble Bugs of Science can sip their brandy (or whatever rich bugs drink) and observe their experiments being tortured

The room in the Abyss above the "lake" where you find the Void Tendrils journal entry: Like above, another place clearly designed to demonstrate the hubris of the King / Hallownest, where they've literally carved a hole into the Void to build a laboratory to study it

I was just looking through a map to look at these rooms and noticed something I never noticed before about the White Palace: in the rest of the game, the Soul Totems look like the Big Ancient Bugs (like the one that holds Shade Soul and the one in the background where you get Quick Slash) but in the WP they look like the King.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, I've been planning on getting a new custom title for a while, just never gotten around to it and now that I've made someone mad enough to buy me an insulting one, I figure I should get around to getting my own.

I don't know where better to ask, but is anyone good at making avatar gifs? I would really dig one of the first few frames of this video, centred on the Knight so it's just the nail-drawing animation

If not, does anyone know a better thread to ask in?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's official, Hollow Knight is art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zMlGyFb8ew

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished Hollow Knight just now. :toot: Next to Super Metroid, and Castlevania: SOTN, this is in my top 3 favorite metroidvania's. Such an amazing game from beginning to end.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I said come in! posted:

I finished Hollow Knight just now.

hmmm... did you though?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

b_d posted:

hmmm... did you though?

There are some things I can still do. It's not like playing the game more is an issue though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I said come in! posted:

I finished Hollow Knight just now. :toot: Next to Super Metroid, and Castlevania: SOTN, this is in my top 3 favorite metroidvania's. Such an amazing game from beginning to end.

Did you get through the White Palace?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If you don't have the weathered mask have you even really played HK?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
What am I missing about the Third Trial in the arena? I just can't make it through the no heal section...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

What am I missing about the Third Trial in the arena? I just can't make it through the no heal section...

No shame in leaving and coming back with better gear, Trial of the Fool is no joke and is end-game content even though you can get to it much earlier than that. Hiveblood can be helpful during long stints where you're unable to heal, that way you can just focus on dodging and let the extra health come naturally. There's also quite a bit of bouncing, so something that extends nail range is useful. Quick Slash is also a pro-tier charm for the sheer amount of damage it lets you dump out. This is also a good place to learn how to use spells more effectively, killing an enemy is better than healing yourself from the damage that it would deal

Joke response: the trick is to :gitgudhorn:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Just keep in mind that it is maybe the tenth hardest thing in the game, at most.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's only because of Godhome and its stupid dick-punch segments for masochists. The trial of the Fool (and particularly the extended air section) is legitimately hard and probably the hardest combat related thing that will be asked of the player for a normal 100% playthrough.

I eventually got through it (and in good enough shape to finish the boss fight afterwards) by using the summoner build. Also a lot of it is knowing how to one-shot the bastard triple-spitters, iirc they go down to a single nail art or fireball.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Practice. And long nail / mark of honor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Its entirely optional and meant to be challenging, don't feel bad

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I did pretty much Everything in the game up to that point before I could finally beat it including the first for trials

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Only pre-godhome things I haven’t beaten are NKG and fool’s. Don’t feel like I’m missing out

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

morestuff posted:

Only pre-godhome things I haven’t beaten are NKG and fool’s. Don’t feel like I’m missing out

You're absolutely missing out on NKG

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Spoilers: it’s like regular Grimm but harder

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's also the best boss fight in the entire game.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Disrespecting my sisters of battle greatly right now...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

I gave up on NGK after a few tries because it seemed impossible but going back months later and beating him after learning how to play the fight was probably the high point of the game for me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Alxprit posted:

Disrespecting my sisters of battle greatly right now...

:hmmyes:

Sisters of Battle is incredible. NKG can have second place.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Just keep in mind that it is maybe the tenth hardest thing in the game, at most.

Radiant AR
Radiant Markoth
The entire Pantheon of Hallownest
Uhhhh... Pre-nerf Radiant Collector?
(e: I forgot Radiant Oblobbles, those two will gently caress you up)

Idk I think the no-floor section of the trial of fools is one of the most punishing things in the game. It's pretty unique in how you have to fight, you can't heal, and having to go through half the trial to reach it and dealing with a brand new boss after it makes it especially painful. Some things are initially more punishing but they're easier to learn, share common skills with the rest of the game & are more predictable in general.

The best advice is to use Great Slashes (& Nailmaster charm to charge faster) and Abyssal Shrieks to oneshot primal aspids before they can mess you up.

Darox fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

:hmmyes:

Sisters of Battle is incredible. NKG can have second place.

Sisters of battle was great but it’s much easier than NKG. Probably more fun but NKG was more satisfying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The top three are NKG, Pure Vessel, Sisters of Battle in that order.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The only bad thing about NKG is that the Godmaster version doesn't share the amazing music of the Grimm Troupe version.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Best bosses are obviously Flukemarm and Markoth (Radiant)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Best fights:

1) Sisters of Battle
2) Pure Vessel
3) Nightmare King Grimm
4) Sly
5) Grey Prince Zote

Honorable Mention:
Radiant Markoth

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

your list makes sense up to 4. after that you’re trolling me

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GPZ rules. Now let me go admire my golden statue some more.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

RCarr posted:

Sisters of battle was great but it’s much easier than NKG. Probably more fun but NKG was more satisfying.

See you said best boss, not hardest boss. While beating NKG feels great when you do it, I hate how perfect you have to be in order to do it. Hollow Knight is a hard game, for sure, but that's on an entirely different level, and the game knows that. Mantis Lords/Sisters in general are more fun because I think they're the perfect level of difficulty, feeling more like a game than a test.

Also I think PV is more fun and more fair than NKG anyway despite them being on similar levels of difficulty. So I wouldn't even rank NKG all that high to begin with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I agree I don't think NKG is one of my favorites. It ends up formulaic because his moveset is too rigid and the fight is loooong. I like Lost Kin, PV, Mantis Lords/SoB, Sly, and Radiance more. I can't be objective about GPZ.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

NKG is really easy if you're using the right charms, he's an absolute pushover. He's absolutely nowhere near PV who has more unpredictable attack timings and much much fewer windows for healing. You can heal from 1 mask back to full twice during NKG's fight with ease, getting heals from anything other than a stagger on PV is dicey. Even if he's trivial once mastered NKG still has the absolute best fight presentation and mastering his fight is very satisfying, he's a great boss.

Nothing is as easy as the Enraged Crystal Miner though, the easiest boss and easier than regular world enemies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Pure Vessel is the best fight in the game, I will not be taking questions at this time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

GPZ has the ideal level of unpredictability. NKG ultimately becomes boring because he telegraphs all his attacks and only does one at a time with a generous gap in between. Once you learn what to do in response to each telegraph he’s done. PV is better in that his attacks chain in interesting ways (eg he’ll chain in a slash combo to a jump or attack while his explosive orbs are still going), but is still pretty predictable. On the other have True Radiance sucks because it has too little predictability; some attacks are trivial to dodge, others are much harder, sometimes it will teleport on top of you for free hits, sometimes it will constantly jump away from you. GPZ gets the balance right between having avoidable attacks that come out unpredictably in interesting patterns. Here ends the thesis.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This supports my general thesis of difficulty and task response feedback.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Quoting myself from three years ago:

Inferior Third Season posted:

The most important thing is to plan out when to use your magic and when to build it. You should always heal to full when the opportunity presents itself. Basically, kill everything except one of these in each wave, and top your health off before killing it and moving on:

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Shielded_Fool - just dash to the other side of the arena and heal as much as you want

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Petra - stay on the ground, hop over the disc thing when it's thrown, and heal as soon as you're clear; you can only get in one mask per disc

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Obble - just stay away from being directly on a diagonal from it

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Loodle - hard to explain exactly how to do it without risk, but it can be done with a little practice

It's also possible to heal against aspids and other flying creatures just by quickly ascending or descending, so long as you have a platform.

Don't forget about Abyss Shriek when fighting the magicians.

The hardest section is obviously the one with only walls and floor spikes. My best advice is to get used to using the slash nail art while sliding on the wall. It's more manageable than trying a lot of mid-air acrobatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I came back to the game after a long break, and had a rough time trying to jump back in. My last save before stopping was the bench inside the Black Egg, just about to fight the Hollow Knight.
I spent some time visiting spots around the map, trying to get my combat skills and timing back. I came back to the Black Egg, and rolled in. My charm loadout was Joni's Blessing, Hiveblood, and Unbreakable Heart. This gave me an obscene amount of health, and allowed me to just tank a lot of hits during the battle. Took about 6 attempts, but I took him out, and got my first ending.
I have no idea where to go next, but I'll keep poking around for a while.