Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thank god we've got confirmation of a hot springs scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

glad to have confirmation that it is in fact a tales game writing-wise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the berseria one was pretty funny

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It was great especially the voice actors trying to impersonate each other

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

quote:

You wouldn’t deny me the chance to be a man, would you?

can't wait to see Shionne shadow box in Rowe's body

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder if they'll do a joke about Alphen's curse making him hangover-immune

Also that Rinwell comment confirms she's younger than 20

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 6, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started up Legendia again for the hell of it and it's just it's own weird thing, same as before. Did the staff of that game just all disperse after it was released or did they do anything else semi-together?

edit: it does not, however, look very good on my 4K TV, at least when connected through official component cables. There are bands of stretched pixels, like a bad attempt to shoehorn it into the wrong resolution. Does it run at an unusual resolution or anything for a PS2 game? Only a few other games look like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

isn't that the one that was made by tekken staff?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tales of Woe posted:

Beats me. The music is like nothing else I’ve heard before or since and the character designs are by the Samurai Champloo guy I guess. Combat is a throwback to the earliest Tales games.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Tales of Woe posted:

It was, yeah. They also had Go Shiina do the music instead of Sakuraba, so that's another reason it feels so different. Endorph did a really good breakdown of the fighting game mechanics that it has when compared to other Tales games of the same era, but I don't know how far back you'd have to go to find it. It received virtually no marketing and was directly competing with Abyss in the west as they came out really close together iirc, but it has a decent amount going for it if you ignore that they opted not to voice half of the game. :v:

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: it does not, however, look very good on my 4K TV, at least when connected through official component cables. There are bands of stretched pixels, like a bad attempt to shoehorn it into the wrong resolution. Does it run at an unusual resolution or anything for a PS2 game? Only a few other games look like that.

I think that the art style plays very strongly to the PS2's strengths and doesn't do well when being stretched any farther than like, 1080p? I know it emulates very nicely, since I've done that personally, but my screen is much smaller, I think.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 6, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ershalim posted:

I think that the art style plays very strongly to the PS2's strengths and doesn't do well when being stretched any farther than like, 1080p? I know it emulates very nicely, since I've done that personally, but my screen is much smaller, I think.
Nah it's nothing about its art style or my screen itself, something technical is going on. Look at how the bread is displayed, and the ク in Coolidge. No other game I've tried on this TV looks that bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Compare this with Tales of Destiny PS2. See how much more clean the text is? That’s how some PS2 games look but not others.

Incidentally I went looking for ToD Director's Cut and...drat, I wish I hadn't sold my copy all those years ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 6, 2021

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tales of Series: "The word “a*shole” appears in dialogue."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legendia was... sort of made by tekken devs but. its staff is honestly spread out to a lot of completely random people.

like its lead battle programmer directed, napple tale, for the sega dreamcast, and also worked as a programmer on stretch panic and wario world. its lead programmer worked on the klonoa games, its graphics engine programmer worked on ridge racer v and klonoa 2, its art director's only big prior credits are package design for a bunch of late 90s namco games. the ui designer's only credits are for a ps1 goemon game and Fisherman's Bait 2: Big 'Ol Bass.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Beats me. The music is like nothing else I’ve heard before or since and the character designs are by the Samurai Champloo guy I guess. Combat is a throwback to the earliest Tales games.

if you haven't played them yet, the first few mr. driller games have music from the same composer in a style that's closer to legendia than anything he's composed since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4giMWBWP9ZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDnkBq2HjjQ

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 6, 2021

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

legendia was... sort of made by tekken devs but. its staff is honestly spread out to a lot of completely random people.

like its lead battle programmer directed, napple tale, for the sega dreamcast, and also worked as a programmer on stretch panic and wario world. its lead programmer worked on the klonoa games, its graphics engine programmer worked on ridge racer v and klonoa 2, its art director's only big prior credits are package design for a bunch of late 90s namco games. the ui designer's only credits are for a ps1 goemon game and Fisherman's Bait 2: Big 'Ol Bass.

It's kind of funny looking at it now, I distinctly remember some marketing speak of it being made by "the soul calibur team" and other people remember a tekken line, but like there's maybe one person whose worked on either game as far as legendia battle designers go and both worked on graphics for those games.

way more overlap with ace combat, if anything

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Thank god we've got confirmation of a hot springs scene

There must always be a hotspring scene. Except Graces, where it's more of a community pool scene IIRC.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
why are people saying Rinwell's gonna be a traitor when Law's description is literally:

A young Dahnan man from Calaglia who works in Renan police force known as Bull's Eye. He confronts Alphen and his group when they arrive to Cyslodia.

He's literally working for the cops, he's obviously the traitor if there is one

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alvin gets an inexplicable cameo where all he does is meet the party and then betray them in under five minutes before never showing up again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

why are people saying Rinwell's gonna be a traitor when Law's description is literally:

A young Dahnan man from Calaglia who works in Renan police force known as Bull's Eye. He confronts Alphen and his group when they arrive to Cyslodia.

He's literally working for the cops, he's obviously the traitor if there is one
a 'traitor' usually isnt introduced as working for the group that he will be dramatically revealed to be working for later

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

a 'traitor' usually isnt introduced as working for the group that he will be dramatically revealed to be working for later

See that’s a true twist no one would expect

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
what if Law's only pretending to have betrayed Bull's Eye and is still spying on the party for them

Unrelated: ufotable doing the animation for Arise's anime cutscenes

Junpei fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
ufotable has been their go to animation studio for a while now.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is it wrong to read it as Tales of Arse in that picture?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

LostRook posted:

Is it wrong to read it as Tales of Arse in that picture?

Depends on if the game is better or worse than zestria

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Zestiria was some sort of production disaster and there's no reason to believe Tomizawa will let anything like that happen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the worst i can see is arise maybe having some kinda bland writing, even if it comes out kinda disappointing it'll probably be better on the whole than zestiria

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah it's probably going to be a complete game that implements all the features it set out to. I'll even go so far as to say that technically speaking, I think it's going to be good.

Whether it uses its setting well, writes characters with personhood, properly explores its themes, all of that? The game has 60 hours to flesh out and 60 hours to screw it up, and what we get told before release is nothing but jumping-off points. I prefer to be optimistic until the game proves itself to be bad.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I'll give Zestiria full credit for the update to Mystic Cage. If Arise has a cameo battle -- and it probably will -- I hope they do something like that with another older mystic to make it all flashy and cool. From the little snippets we've seen so far it's looking kinda like Berseria in tone, but that could easily change as we see more. A slightly darker feeling Eternia could be a drat good Tale.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
I am not feeling enthused about Arise but my somewhat pessimistic expectation of how it will turn out can be summed up as "blandly competent videogame". It would take an impressive feat of left field awfulness for it to turn out worse than Zestiria.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Beyond this thread and despite my earlier snark, I've mostly been avoiding direct info on it, I'm hoping it will play well and be fun to play through.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I've heard a lot about these games from various friends and goons over the years, and decided to take a shot when the sale put Berseria at like 8 bucks. Anything I should know or prepare myself for? Other than anime, obviously.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ShootaBoy posted:

I've heard a lot about these games from various friends and goons over the years, and decided to take a shot when the sale put Berseria at like 8 bucks. Anything I should know or prepare myself for? Other than anime, obviously.
Berseria has got to be the most accessible Tales game just because it totally abandoned the linear battle system.

I recommend playing as all of the characters at least a little bit, because they have a bunch of fun gimmicks even if you ultimately end up going back to Velvet with her wreck everything gimmick.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Groups of casters will be kind of annoying for the first part of the game, but you will have sweet, sweet revenge as you get to the midgame

Other than that just yeah, feel free to try playing as every character because they all play differently and they're all pretty fun minus like one or two

It's a fantastic game though so you'll have a great time

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think Shionne will learn heaviest towards being a long-ranged sniper, a healer, or a fire mage?

Obviously she's gonna be all three in some capacity but I wonder which will be her core focus and which will just be her side role

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
I think she'll be mostly long range offense with spell support. We know from some of the pre-release materials that she can heal other people and Alphen probably can't, but in the most recent tales games they've had it so everyone can heal to some extent or made it so that largely healing wasn't something that was super important to think about due to personal mechanics the characters had.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's no reason you can't have a bit of everything. Rutee and Illia, water casters with heals and weapon abilities, come to mind.

And again, Shionne has an additional gimmick in throwing bombs to augment her regular gun attacks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah like Xillia is the last game with a traditional actually powerful healer who can pretty much full heal the party with one spell in the endgame. all the aoe heals are really tiny now and i doubt they'd go back to how it was.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
All we have is really early game footage but we know that:

1. Shionne has First Aid and Recover
2. She can heal people out of battle as a sidequest thing
3. Her being able to heal is plot important

So I wouldn't be surprised if she was more in the Nurse/Healing Circle/Revitalize vein than the single-target one

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So hey, there's another Destiny script in the works! The translator for this one is a friend of mine and the team seems to have a handle on making a project work, so I'm inclined to recommend this one to keep an eye on.

Oh, and they're also releasing Destiny 2, if you want to experience the saga of a failson and his codependent time waifu fighting communism gone mad. (But none of that is in a good way.)

https://luminatales.net/2021/05/08/announcing-the-lumina-destiny-project/

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ah yeah there we go. Nice to see that ToD2 patch is real and seems good, and a proper ToDDC on top is great too.