Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I'm getting a patronizing talking to about blue no matter who right now

God, gently caress that crowd so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
so, with this betrayal in mind, did anything good come out of this lege

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I'm getting a patronizing talking to about blue no matter who right now, but he has done so much damage to his own party and the answer in the Dem party seems to be that there shouldn't be any efforts to rein in members of their own party who actively screw up important committees. I get 100% party alignment in votes doesn't always make sense, but he goes out of his way to move Republican culture war issues purely to hurt his own party.

He represents the fifth loving ward, it's the safest D seat in Texas, there's gotta be someone who lives there who can not be a giant piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1390712373837766656

https://twitter.com/tlangford/status/1390727544245157889

Reports are that the color of Sid's face is approaching "Smoke on the Water" levels of deep purple.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bingo!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

zoux posted:

He represents the fifth loving ward, it's the safest D seat in Texas, there's gotta be someone who lives there who can not be a giant piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat

despite his continual hate boner for Houston ISD, Houston Chronicle Editorial board endorsed him in 2020.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I'm getting a patronizing talking to about blue no matter who right now, but he has done so much damage to his own party and the answer in the Dem party seems to be that there shouldn't be any efforts to rein in members of their own party who actively screw up important committees. I get 100% party alignment in votes doesn't always make sense, but he goes out of his way to move Republican culture war issues purely to hurt his own party.

that move was so horrific you can tell people you're getting calls from constituents saying that unless he's booted from the caucus we may as well chuck the whole party in the trash. what's the point

is kier starmer chairman of the txdems

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I would love to hear more about Canales fist fight.

Yeah Dutton has always been kinda stinky. If Dr. Allen has to take you down you know you've done it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Agree that Dutton should be expelled from the caucus after this. Anyone have any idea on how likely it is to happen?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

i say swears online posted:

Labour just got murdered in UK council elections, too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Labour just got murdered in UK council elections, too
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1390685349341548547

just say this with a McConaughey drawl

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

that move was so horrific you can tell people you're getting calls from constituents saying that unless he's booted from the caucus we may as well chuck the whole party in the trash. what's the point

Nah man this is a problem specific to a single member who has a personality disorder. I can still remember him and Dawnna Dukes arguing against the house rules because they wanted to ban smoking in member offices and they smoked so they fought it tooth and nail for like 2 hours.

Spacebump posted:

Agree that Dutton should be expelled from the caucus after this. Anyone have any idea on how likely it is to happen?

Oh, zero. He's been in that seat for 30 years and after that much time he probably has his whole districts political machine wrapped up, I say they should primary him but they may not be able to, no matter what he does.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it feels like if he has zero chance of losing his seat for this horrifically bigoted and cruel act of petty revenge then it is indeed a bigger issue than him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

it feels like if he has zero chance of losing his seat for this horrifically bigoted and cruel act of petty revenge then it is indeed a bigger issue than him

yeah those two paragraphs above are entirely contradictory

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What's his beef with Houston ISD anyway? Did he get heckled by students at a "meet your state rep" event or something?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The issue is that he can easily convince his constituency that he was nobly fighting for a bill to fix their schools, and they'll believe and trust what he says. Honestly, I don't know how much of an issue trans kids is in inner-city Houston, maybe it's a big one, but the bottom line is that the trans sports bill, while mean spirited, cruel and unnecessary, isn't going to change a goddamn thing because it's just codifying what's been a UIL rule for 3 years - it's more about sending a message to trans kids and their parents they aren't welcome here, of course. But that damage is done, it was done when the bill passed the Senate, or even had hearings. It's not a hard sell back home that "oh any trans kids are suffering much more under HISDs mismanagement than they are under a bill that just makes a rule a law.

Before Captain monkey comes in here to call me a centrist, Dutton absolutely should be expelled and primaried, he sucks rear end, but I'm just explaining why it'll be real hard to remove a 18-term rep from the seat he's held since 1984. and why that isn't indicative of a general failure - in this specific instance - of the state dems

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

The issue is that he can easily convince his constituency that he was nobly fighting for a bill to fix their schools, and they'll believe and trust what he says. Honestly, I don't know how much of an issue trans kids is in inner-city Houston, maybe it's a big one, but the bottom line is that the trans sports bill, while mean spirited, cruel and unnecessary, isn't going to change a goddamn thing because it's just codifying what's been a UIL rule for 3 years - it's more about sending a message to trans kids and their parents they aren't welcome here, of course. But that damage is done, it was done when the bill passed the Senate, or even had hearings. It's not a hard sell back home that "oh any trans kids are suffering much more under HISDs mismanagement than they are under a bill that just makes a rule a law.

Before Captain monkey comes in here to call me a centrist, Dutton absolutely should be expelled and primaried, he sucks rear end, but I'm just explaining why it'll be real hard to remove a 18-term rep from the seat he's held since 1984. and why that isn't indicative of a general failure - in this specific instance - of the state dems

if a party can't punish someone supporting outright hate then the party is endorsing that hate, if he's that deep entrenched then the party should remove him, if they won't they're supporting him, it's very simple math.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

if a party can't punish someone supporting outright hate then the party is endorsing that hate, if he's that deep entrenched then the party should remove him, if they won't they're supporting him, it's very simple math.

This is hyperreductive maximalism and I simply don't ascribe to it. Sorry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

This is hyperreductive maximalism and I simply don't ascribe to it. Sorry.

we both know how solid blue his district is, literally any generic, nobody, dem could get his spot in a heartbeat. What can you ascribe to the party refusing to punish one of their own actively reviving a cruel and bigoted bill just to swing his dick around other than agreement that trans lives are worth less?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Does Labour have a Wendy Davis equivalent

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's called 'all of the Labour Party' yes

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

I've never called you a centrist for accurate observations of situations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Person I'm dating decided to flip off motorcycle guy last month and then we kept encountering him for the next two hours and he kept screaming at us every time. Dunno what he was saying but he sure took it personally.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

parachuting into a constituency that isn't yours is much much more common in the UK. they also have tiny baby districts so it's more acceptable

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh, zero. He's been in that seat for 30 years and after that much time he probably has his whole districts political machine wrapped up, I say they should primary him but they may not be able to, no matter what he does.

He only won his primary run-off by 400 votes, and he was driven into that runoff by a fake candidate winning third. I don't know how long memories last for members or constituents, but the LGBTQ advocates already disliked him for a lovely anti-trans bill he joint authored last session and are filled with rage now. We'll see if it carries into next year. I would agree he's exceptionally bad, but also the Democrats in Texas don't seem to have any mechanism for reining in their legislators. Republicans would censure for way less than that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

He only won his primary run-off by 400 votes, and he was driven into that runoff by a fake candidate winning third. I don't know how long memories last for members or constituents, but the LGBTQ advocates already disliked him for a lovely anti-trans bill he joint authored last session and are filled with rage now. We'll see if it carries into next year. I would agree he's exceptionally bad, but also the Democrats in Texas don't seem to have any mechanism for reining in their legislators. Republicans would censure for way less than that.

Oh right I forgot about the fake candidate thing lol. Well, I hope they get rid of him, he sucks and he's sucked forever. But pushing that bill through for retaliation against his own caucus...I haven't ever heard of anything like that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
He knows the trans issue won't hurt him. In a primary in the 5th ward and Kashmere where the constituency is black churches, a candidate running against him saying he passed bills targeting trans people won't get very far

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

Nah man this is a problem specific to a single member who has a personality disorder. I can still remember him and Dawnna Dukes arguing against the house rules because they wanted to ban smoking in member offices and they smoked so they fought it tooth and nail for like 2 hours.

If someone halfassed decent tries to primary him there's gonna be a flood of extremely legitimate concern trolling punditry about how this is dangerous to the party and we need to play it safe. Maybe talk about how the district is too black to care about LGBT issues so clearly they're gonna let a Republican win.

You know, the same thing we get in every election ever.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
He was primaried in 2020 by Jerry Davis, a former City Council member from the same area (so a decent candidate with name recognition and the ability and know how to run a campaign) who took him to a runoff and lost by 400 votes.

None of that stuff you just said happened.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

liz cheney looking at txdems with envy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

We saw a chair roll off a truck on I-20 (I think) coming back from SA. Just minutes after I thought "Hm, I should leave extra daylight between me and this sketchy looking packing job". It's nice to have your instincts pay off occasionally

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Allen West is going to challenge Greg Abbott to a push up contest in the primary, isn't he?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend joined the air force at 34 so he could do this in kuwait

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

So does the USAF issue fursuits or is he going to have to get one made

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look at the picture man, it's a bad dragon in their locker.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How upset was he that he didn't get a Japan posting?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why doesn’t it say “saving lives and dragons”?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Today Dutton threatened to kill every Democrat bill on Local and Consent. He didn’t end up doing poo poo, but everyone was pissed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/ToureDeTrap/status/1391071042878251020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

You forgot "4-car train of used vehicles heading south of the border to be sold".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I normally put one normal size flour tortilla and a squeeze of lime on mine yeah.