Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
startupland is the law of small numbers. both thr best and the worst places to work are there cuz theres no over-overlord demanding consistency and sometimes getting it. applies for most domains, even cash payment can be high for the unicorns trying to be tech majors or really well funded smaller deals altho ofc there are fewer of those

ive even worked for peeps who successfully got stability and marginally less craziness. altho its like 90% craziness out there, thats the most reliable thing to happen

no single startup experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

startups are just small businesses with all the pros and cons amplified by venture capital

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Bad form doesn't get you paid.

go get paid
Currently in the process of securing payment!

For fun here are some numbers. Gave up on NYC after several months of fruitless searching and started looking elsewhere, starting in Denver. I had plans to also look in Boston starting out but only applied to small handful of jobs there.

Denver:
First application April 15th
First offer May 3rd

59 Applications
20 Recruiter followups
15 First stage / tech screens
4 Final round interviews (3 completed 1 pending)
2 Offers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lots of startups aren't in California or VC-backed. You just hear mostly about those because of how this thread is oriented.

In addition to the variability by organization that bob dobbs is dead mentioned, you're also going to see a lot of variation over the lifetime of a single organization. Being the first non-founder hire is very different from being employee #50 and that's very different from being employee #100. And even if the company isn't growing in size, things change over time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lots of startups arent in california, but there are more viable startups in sf soma than in entire continents and almost every country in the world

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 5, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Steve Jorbs posted:

I've had some final round interviews the past week and received two verbal offers from Company A and B. I just got an official offer letter from Company B to join the 6-figgie fuckhead club for the first time and it will be a 45% raise over what I currently make :toot:

I've been in communication with both parties letting them know I had offers with each. My feelings right now are that I would prefer Company A, if only slightly. I've let A know I received the official offer from B with explicit compensation details spelled out. Would it be bad form to share the actual offer letter from B with A if they request?

if it were me I wouldn't have told them what the other offer was, let alone give them a copy. same reason as you don't say a number in the first place. you don't know if company A was going to come in way higher than even company B and you may have just shot yourself in the foot

it'd be worth bringing it up only if company A came in a bit under B and you wanted additional leverage to seal the deal. this is what i did with my current job. my current employer came in a bit below another company and I told them they were my preferred job and that if they could beat the other company on salary i'd accept the offer immediately. they hemmed and hawed a bit but came back to me after a few hours with an offer above what the other company was offering

don't beat yourself up over it tho. a 45% raise is a 45% raise

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if it were me I wouldn't have told them what the other offer was, let alone give them a copy. same reason as you don't say a number in the first place. you don't know if company A was going to come in way higher than even company B and you may have just shot yourself in the foot

it'd be worth bringing it up only if company A came in a bit under B and you wanted additional leverage to seal the deal. this is what i did with my current job. my current employer came in a bit below another company and I told them they were my preferred job and that if they could beat the other company on salary i'd accept the offer immediately. they hemmed and hawed a bit but came back to me after a few hours with an offer above what the other company was offering

don't beat yourself up over it tho. a 45% raise is a 45% raise
I forgot to mention in my description that Company A gave me a verbal offer first then B. I let B know what A offered at which point they gave me an official offer significantly above A. I’m waiting to hear back on A’s counter right now.

Both jobs listed the salary range up front which I only agreed was acceptable to negotiate within. I didn’t anchor to an exact number from the start.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Steve Jorbs posted:

I forgot to mention in my description that Company A gave me a verbal offer first then B. I let B know what A offered at which point they gave me an official offer significantly above A. I’m waiting to hear back on A’s counter right now.

Both jobs listed the salary range up front which I only agreed was acceptable to negotiate within. I didn’t anchor to an exact number from the start.

ah gotcha. yeah if you haven't verbally agreed to any of these offers then you played it basically perfectly. well done

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ah gotcha. yeah if you haven't verbally agreed to any of these offers then you played it basically perfectly. well done
Ha thanks. I’m getting a bit of a rush from being in this position of desirability with them. Change of pace from my normal reserved nerd demeanor.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm not surprised to hear the answer be overwhelmingly "it depends."

The Fool posted:

startups are just small businesses with all the pros and cons amplified by venture capital
This is a pretty interesting take that I hadn't really considered. I guess my personality type is that I have an entrepreneurial spirit without the entrepreneurial stomach. So I love the idea of being part of building something but don't necessarily want to bet the farm on it all. So small business seems like a good fit, but yeah, how much I can stomach for that amplified risk is something I'll have to figure out. Something to think about I guess.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"small business that intends to become an absolute unit business in like 5 years"

so thats why vc is so related to it, cuz it helps a lot to have some peeps shove 3 million bucks at you if you wanna do that (then 20 million, then 100, then 250...)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

shoeberto posted:

Not really an interviewing question per se but I'm spending a lot of time reflecting on my career and have sort of a general question. How bad is it to actually work for a startup? What are the pros and cons?

My perception is that everything is always on fire because you have to make good on the VC and position yourself to be acquired, so the company is always burning you out, in the hopes of a big payola. Is that accurate? Has anyone had experience to the contrary?

My current job is for a small company with a stable revenue stream, and I feel like we're building legitimately cool stuff, but from a strategic level it feels like we're kinda rudderless. Like there isn't really a coherent vision or direction at a leadership level, especially not to expand our customer base. Which would be fine but we keep getting these insane projects where I crunch for like 2-3 months at a time because of whatever constraints the management has dreamed up. And like, I could handle that if I felt like I was working towards some big payday, new customer, whatever. But it's been almost 7 years, and though I've gotten healthy raises, I just don't feel like there's been... much of anything happening on the business side. Just the same customers from a decade ago renewing. And I love love love my team but most of the time I find the company owners to be a huge pain in the rear end, for a variety of reasons, and there's not really any ways to insulate myself from their crazy whims. It honestly kinda feels like the employees are doing more to implement a stable direction than the leadership.

I'm looking at other opportunities and trying to figure out what I really want. Either stability and consistency, even if it's not exciting, or the potential for a big fuckin payday if I'm gonna be doing this crazy hair-on-fire crunch poo poo. But like how bad can it actually get if you really go after those VC exit strategy bux?

I would agree with the other folk that startups tend to be pretty different but you can do a little due diligence and see if the owners are serial startupers or have more investment in it than that. A bunch of startups are run by MBA's who dream of having a business first and then try to work out the idea and the rest are people with an actual idea trying to make it work. You really want to be in the latter not the former.

Along with that, for me you need to balance figgies vs time you're working. I won't work more than 40 hrs a week which doesn't work for a lot of startups. Like figgies can buy you back some time, hire a cleaner, get your messages delivered etc but ultimately I just don't want to spend more of my time working.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Aramoro posted:

Along with that, for me you need to balance figgies vs time you're working. I won't work more than 40 hrs a week which doesn't work for a lot of startups. Like figgies can buy you back some time, hire a cleaner, get your messages delivered etc but ultimately I just don't want to spend more of my time working.
Honestly I don't really want to sacrifice more of my time, but I'm already crunching every six months it seems due to poor planning and scope creep, so I wonder why not get more cash for it? But if it's like consistent 60 hour weeks that's a non starter. I dunno man. Grass is always greener.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

shoeberto posted:

Not really an interviewing question per se but I'm spending a lot of time reflecting on my career and have sort of a general question. How bad is it to actually work for a startup? What are the pros and cons?

My perception is that everything is always on fire because you have to make good on the VC and position yourself to be acquired, so the company is always burning you out, in the hopes of a big payola. Is that accurate? Has anyone had experience to the contrary?

My current job is for a small company with a stable revenue stream, and I feel like we're building legitimately cool stuff, but from a strategic level it feels like we're kinda rudderless. Like there isn't really a coherent vision or direction at a leadership level, especially not to expand our customer base. Which would be fine but we keep getting these insane projects where I crunch for like 2-3 months at a time because of whatever constraints the management has dreamed up. And like, I could handle that if I felt like I was working towards some big payday, new customer, whatever. But it's been almost 7 years, and though I've gotten healthy raises, I just don't feel like there's been... much of anything happening on the business side. Just the same customers from a decade ago renewing. And I love love love my team but most of the time I find the company owners to be a huge pain in the rear end, for a variety of reasons, and there's not really any ways to insulate myself from their crazy whims. It honestly kinda feels like the employees are doing more to implement a stable direction than the leadership.

I'm looking at other opportunities and trying to figure out what I really want. Either stability and consistency, even if it's not exciting, or the potential for a big fuckin payday if I'm gonna be doing this crazy hair-on-fire crunch poo poo. But like how bad can it actually get if you really go after those VC exit strategy bux?

I started a startup that is no in CA, 10 employees, went through YC, and is pre Series A so take those factors into account. I'm gonna present from an employees point of view.

Pros:
- If its small what you do actually matters
- Extremely small chance but maybe it has a favorable exit. A friend of mine worked for a startup for 2 years and made them write his number of shares in an email after they terminated him a couple years ago. They recently IPO'd. He sold his stock and working is basically optional if he manages his money well.
- Working at a big company is soul sucking

Cons:
- There's literally every kind of risk. My cofounder and I never had direct reports before starting this company. It seems like youre in the "high managem,ent risk" company.
- Working at a small company can be soul sucking.
- Often the pay is below average but if they just raised a round and you can negotiate worth a poo poo maybe not.

EDIT: I am v tired and this post wasnt that helpful. If I can answer any "managing or interviewing at a seed stage startup" questions though, please ask.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 6, 2021

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I also have literally just joined onto a seed stage startup.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

buttchugging adderall posted:

I also have literally just joined onto a seed stage startup.

goodbye and good luck

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

CarForumPoster posted:

I started a startup

quote:

I'm gonna present from an employees point of view.
Lol

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

yea honestly I reread me writing that and realized my post was trash

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

awesome how i still get that performance anxiety chest flutter feeling even on a loving zoom interview.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

awesome how i still get that performance anxiety chest flutter feeling even on a loving zoom interview.

it’s even worse for me over zoom

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm getting very tired of working at my current job, and just signed my lease renewal so i'm going to start looking for a new job sometime next year. I'm an absolute dullard and am bad at the whiteboarding/coding interview questions so I think a year gives me a good amount of time to prepare.

I was thinking about going through my old copies of cracking the code, and chris sedgewick's algorithms book for starters. Is that a good way to prep? If not what would be a better way? Is there anything else you all would recommend?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

leetcode. you might get lucky and have a problem pulled directly from there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm getting very tired of working at my current job, and just signed my lease renewal so i'm going to start looking for a new job sometime next year. I'm an absolute dullard and am bad at the whiteboarding/coding interview questions so I think a year gives me a good amount of time to prepare.

I was thinking about going through my old copies of cracking the code, and chris sedgewick's algorithms book for starters. Is that a good way to prep? If not what would be a better way? Is there anything else you all would recommend?

generally it would be better to apply more places and spend less time studying for an interview that you haven’t been offered yet (and thus don’t know whether it’s a waste of time)

you also might learn your resume is poo poo when your phone interview rate is <2%

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

leetcode. you might get lucky and have a problem pulled directly from there.

I forgot about leetcode, thanks!

CarForumPoster posted:

generally it would be better to apply more places and spend less time studying for an interview that you haven’t been offered yet (and thus don’t know whether it’s a waste of time)

you also might learn your resume is poo poo when your phone interview rate is <2%

Last time I was job searching I heard back pretty immediately from several companies. I generally make it past the phone interview and fumble around during the whiteboarding portions of the interview. I feel like I know most of the stuff being asked, it's just that my nerves get the best of me and I think that having a good foundation for algorithm based questions will help me out there.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you're targeting a FAANG, start doing leetcode exercises. In a few months maybe you can try to get those dollas

If you don't want to jump through bullshit hoops, practice your interview skills instead. Also do a few toy projects and put them on your Github.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Last time I was job searching I heard back pretty immediately from several companies. I generally make it past the phone interview and fumble around during the whiteboarding portions of the interview. I feel like I know most of the stuff being asked, it's just that my nerves get the best of me and I think that having a good foundation for algorithm based questions will help me out there.

you might feel special but usual yields from resume->phone is like 40% for peeps who dont have a dog poo poo resume and phone->job is more like 5-20%

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ahh thats useful data then. Best of luck!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you might feel special but usual yields from resume->phone is like 40% for peeps who dont have a dog poo poo resume and phone->job is more like 5-20%

CarForumPoster posted:

Ahh thats useful data then. Best of luck!

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that my resume is prefect or anything, it definitely needs to be redone. I have been thinking about my shortcomings in interviews for a while now, and almost everytime I feel like that portion always ends up my weakest area.

I hope I didn't sound like I was discounting or ignoring your advice as that was not my intention. I do really appreciate the advice.

Poopernickel posted:

If you're targeting a FAANG, start doing leetcode exercises. In a few months maybe you can try to get those dollas

If you don't want to jump through bullshit hoops, practice your interview skills instead. Also do a few toy projects and put them on your Github.

Cool, sounds like leetcode might be the way to go. Thanks!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I think you might overestimate what qualifies as "not poo poo" statistically by comparison to raw # of applicants. If "not poo poo" means easy to read + an eng/CS degree from an ABET accredited school + experience + a GitHub w/commented code yea 40% might be right.

I did the math on an entry level python req for the BFC Resume thread as there was some discussion about entry level programming jobs and what degree they held.

CarForumPoster posted:

I was very curious what the breakdown was since the advice I am leaning toward with strawberrymoose with coding is that he'd better have some good projects to show off because he's gonna have a tough go at coding jobs.

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers. Bold are the ones I interviewed or I at least wrote some favorable notes on. Ugrad means they're currently in undergrad, otherwise they'd graduated. The places in parenthesis are where their undergrad was from.

TLDR: I had 91 applicants. 43 got more than 15 seconds of me looking at their application. I phone interviewed or strongly considered 18 applicants. Hired 1 applicant.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I hope I didn't sound like I was discounting or ignoring your advice as that was not my intention. I do really appreciate the advice.

I wasnt being sarcastic. If you have a good conversion rate on applications you shouldn't optimize your resume. I actually wish you the best.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 7, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
43 not poo poo -> 18 phone interviews is 42%

50% of resumes being worthless is often a lowball. often an excruciating lowball lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CarForumPoster posted:

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

out of curiosity, was there a non-obvious reason for this or were you just that set on only hiring people who give away their labor in their free time

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also, cmu stanford berkeley dont require abet and PE cert is a joke in putertouchin land

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raminasi posted:

out of curiosity, was there a non-obvious reason for this or were you just that set on only hiring people who give away their labor in their free time

Would you hire an artist without a portfolio?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

raminasi posted:

This reply only applies to SW Engineer w/less than 5 yrs full-time experience.

Two years ago I started out assuming I wasn't a good judge of resumes, so I'd phone interview a TON of people and if they were even kinda okay, I'd let them tell me a time where they have 48 hours to complete a practical coding test. We mostly build and deploy web apps in Python. I've given a decent number of people the same coding test. The test doesn't prescribe how to do it but gives clear shalls that essentially require a web app to hit a no-authentication-required REST API and returns the data in a sortable table. If you've deployed 2 or 3 Flask/Django apps to Heroku or AWS before, this project can be done in 2 hours.

Sadly, I do not find a strong correlation between good practical test outcome and resume quality, so I continue to phone interview people with meh resumes. Hence the large interview list I posted above.

I want to believe I am a good phone interviewer but of the people who do decent on the resume AND decent on the phone interview, the project quality still isn't great.

When I look at their GitHub and I look at the code they submitted to me, that is a better predictor than phone interviews of the quality of practical project I will get. Thus, to save both of us time, I require and review GitHubs before a phone interview.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

lol if you think I have any desire to write code if I don't get paid for it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

This reply only applies to SW Engineer w/less than 5 yrs full-time experience.

Two years ago I started out assuming I wasn't a good judge of resumes, so I'd phone interview a TON of people and if they were even kinda okay, I'd let them tell me a time where they have 48 hours to complete a practical coding test. We mostly build and deploy web apps in Python. I've given a decent number of people the same coding test. The test doesn't prescribe how to do it but gives clear shalls that essentially require a web app to hit a no-authentication-required REST API and returns the data in a sortable table. If you've deployed 2 or 3 Flask/Django apps to Heroku or AWS before, this project can be done in 2 hours.

Sadly, I do not find a strong correlation between good practical test outcome and resume quality, so I continue to phone interview people with meh resumes. Hence the large interview list I posted above.

I want to believe I am a good phone interviewer but of the people who do decent on the resume AND decent on the phone interview, the project quality still isn't great.

When I look at their GitHub and I look at the code they submitted to me, that is a better predictor than phone interviews of the quality of practical project I will get. Thus, to save both of us time, I require and review GitHubs before a phone interview.

i read gh poo poo all the time but you have to recognize in yourself that this gh reading poo poo makes you a fuckin weirdo and 99% of the other resumes gettin sent out are sent to recruiters who cant fizzbuzz and wouldnt know good code if you hit them in the head w it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

I require and review GitHubs before a phone interview.

ah, the old "people with lives/families/non-computer hobbies need not apply"

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
the interviewing thread should be one way, interviewers need not post

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

requiring a portfolio selects against candidates that are in life situations that don’t lend themselves to a lot of work-outside-of-work free time but could otherwise be excellent employees

it’s a reasonable alternative if they’re unable to demonstrate other experience in some way, but 5 years feels like a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Fool posted:

requiring a portfolio selects against candidates that are in life situations that don’t lend themselves to a lot of work-outside-of-work free time but could otherwise be excellent employees

it’s a reasonable alternative if they’re unable to demonstrate other experience in some way, but 5 years feels like a bit much

Agreed, I can kind of see it for an entry level employee but lol if you're doing that to someone who already has touched computers for money.

I posted about this in the terrible programming thread but after I started touching computers for money I could no longer program for fun or as a hobby,