Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

He took Reliant Energy money? gently caress, exempt him for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People had to be specifically on a plan that sells at the adjustable wholesale rate

Griddy, the company that was handling most of it, also went under

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

indigi posted:

blowback from who?

The people who have been defending him so far, I suppose.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My understanding of Griddy is that you could basically day-trade who your electricity provider was to try to save $1 a day or something, I can't imagine how that ever could have gone badly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There were apparently some caps that kicked in once the price reached a certain level until officials intervened to remove the caps and let the price go up even more. Then after like 12 hours the caps were supposed to return and instead it stayed unregulated for three days

e: Then you had a bunch of shitheads talking about how it worked the way it was supposed to and that charging over $9 per kWH is meant to incentivize plant owners to produce more electricity

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 29, 2021

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

skaboomizzy posted:

My understanding of Griddy is that you could basically day-trade who your electricity provider was to try to save $1 a day or something, I can't imagine how that ever could have gone badly.

This is a hilarious, only in Texas idea.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1387910206970081282?s=20

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Intruder posted:

There were apparently some caps that kicked in once the price reached a certain level until officials intervened to remove the caps and let the price go up even more. Then after like 12 hours the caps were supposed to return and instead it stayed unregulated for three days

e: Then you had a bunch of shitheads talking about how it worked the way it was supposed to and that charging over $9 per kWH is meant to incentivize plant owners to produce more electricity

Turned out a bunch of techbros and one percenters were on Griddy, and when they complained to their golf buddies in Austin ERCOT cancelled all of Griddy's contracts, put their customers on TXU (whom after the blackout paid ERCOT to become the provider of last resort), and forced Griddy to file Chapter 7 and write off their accounts receivable. All Griddy customers were let off the hook.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Intruder posted:

Another failure of texan initiative. Sounds like they don't deserve a free market

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grip it and rip it posted:

Another failure of texan initiative. Sounds like they don't deserve a free market

This would have all been prevented if Texas didn't have its own independent grid

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1388306412372176899

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

probably didn't need to draft a qb that spends so much time on the trainer's table.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
LOL it is hilarious how the ESPN crew will not only not even mention Deshaun Watson's name, they won't even mention his situation or even his existence

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

LOL it is hilarious how the ESPN crew will not only not even mention Deshaun Watson's name, they won't even mention his situation or even his existence

FWIW, the NFL Network crew did mention Watson several times and talk about the whole situation in Houston for a couple of minutes. They definitely referred to the “legal troubles” or something like that several times.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1388311358534475778

On-brand flailing job here

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They have no capital to trade for anyone established. It’s either a mid round rookie or some dude off the street at this point.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They have no capital to trade for anyone established. It’s either a mid round rookie or some dude off the street at this point.

Tank with Tyrod

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Tank with Tyrod

Oh Christ I forgot they had Tyrod. Yeah just go with him

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The NFL Network guys just talked about it again. When the pick was first announced a bit ago, Rich Eisen asked "What is up with that?" like 15 times and was wondering what the hell the Texans are doing. Now, to sum up the most recent discussion, he basically pointed out that the Texans really haven't addressed any of the Watson stuff, be it his original trade request or the legal stuff, and they acknowledged Watson could wind up "suspended, or worse" and everyone there pretty much just agreed. Felt more directed towards the FO.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They’d be much better off just taking the best player on the board every round, since they need help at every position anyway. They’re not going to be good for years at this point regardless, reaching for a QB now is putting the cart before the horse.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Eisen addressing it even that much feels.....substantial. He cashes an NFL paycheck.

edit: even Rappaport talking about it in round about terms on NFL network.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 1, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1388309378361708548

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Take out those last two words and I'm good with that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1388584701607260167?s=20

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Watson had several career ending endings. Sorry sorry I’m trying to be better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I expect the Texans to give him the full-body release

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

What if Watson wanted to be traded out of the Houston Texans because he exhausted all the Instagram masseuses and wanted a new hunting ground?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hizawk posted:

What if Watson wanted to be traded out of the Houston Texans because he exhausted all the Instagram masseuses and wanted a new hunting ground?

He flew in a number of them from other states.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I saw a Rich Eisen clip on youtube this weekend talking about a potential trade again, Eagles or Dolphins mentioned. Maybe it's time for some fan action like in the premier league.

Intruder posted:

Pah, if they truly believed in the market the monopoly plant owners would just be allowed to start charging that today and see what anyone can do about it.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Long one from Kalyn Kahler on Defector:

https://defector.com/what-licensed-massage-therapists-and-former-nfl-players-have-to-say-about-deshaun-watson/

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Man it would be cool if some of these anonymous players would put their names to their statements. I get there's pressure and all for them to stay quiet but we keep hearing from guys to the tune of "all these women are lying gold diggers" with their names attached.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man it would be cool if some of these anonymous players would put their names to their statements. I get there's pressure and all for them to stay quiet but we keep hearing from guys to the tune of "all these women are lying gold diggers" with their names attached.

I mean that one retired player I had never heard of tweeted "That's crazy, I had 5 masseuses over my whole 8 year career" and within hours the tweet was deleted. I feel like the NFL is doing a lot of behind the scenes work to kill this story as much as they can. With the draft and the Rodgers drama, this has really fallen off, and I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL did nothing about this until Watson tried to report to the Texans, which doesn't seem likely at all.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think Watson reports. At this point no other team wants to touch him, it's not like before the story broke where he could go almost anywhere

I hope he does anyway, the league's hand needs to be forced

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I think Watson reports. At this point no other team wants to touch him, it's not like before the story broke where he could go almost anywhere

I had almost managed to forget what a mess all of this is aside from the Deshaun stuff. I was thinking why would he not show up unless they tell him not to before I realized he had real reasons to stay away.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Watson showing up to the first day of training camp like George Costanza coming back to the office after the weekend he quit.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I would be shocked if Watson shows up before the regular season starts. It costs him next to nothing to skip all the pre-season stuff. It's holding out during the regular season which is going to be expensive. And the Texans using their first pick in the draft on a QB seems to show that in the long run they know that Watson isn't going to be around.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Watson goes he’s probably mandated by the league to speak to the media.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I had almost managed to forget what a mess all of this is aside from the Deshaun stuff. I was thinking why would he not show up unless they tell him not to before I realized he had real reasons to stay away.

drat, you're right I totally forgot he wanted out in the middle of all this.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Sports radio is pretty much the lowest common denominator to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Watson goes he’s probably mandated by the league to speak to the media.

You know what, I bet the league would be happy to give him an out on that note.

(It’s going to be a moot point though, one way or another)