Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
SA Forums> Games> Free games (actually just another thread about epic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tunicate posted:

why did you doxx me??!

MODS?!?!

hunter2 bitch!!!!!

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

On the topic of password manager:

I've been using password safe forever. It's just a program to maintain the encrypted file though, so you need to make sure you're keeping backups or copies on multiple devices, which is a small pain when you add something. Could always use Google Drive or OneDrive as backup/sync too, but I don't bother.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I use keepass with a yubikey and keep my database on dropbox and google drive.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I assume two-factor alone is foolproof enough if no one got my phone?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Nyaa posted:

Depends on the system, 2FA can sometimes be circumvented. There was a thing a few years ago with Apple where their iCloud poo poo had 2FA circumvented and a bunch of people had their computers locked remotely by ransomers.

Using a strong and unique password is always good even if you have 2FA

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Nyaa posted:

You can get around some forms of two-factor with clever social engineering, but no one's going to bother putting in the effort to steal gaming accounts.

That kind of thing is reserved for idiots with hundreds of thousands in crypto, or celebrities

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SMS 2FA is pretty busted, at least in the US

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber

TOTP (the type where you scan a QR code into an app like google authenticator) is much stronger

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Vadun posted:

You can get around some forms of two-factor with clever social engineering, but no one's going to bother putting in the effort to steal gaming accounts.

You haven't been reading the Steam thread have you

Multiple goons have gotten their accounts hijacked over the past idk maybe six months or so because they used their 2FA on a fake Steam page, which then uses that information to immediately log in on the account

Veib fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 7, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

repiv posted:

TOTP (the type where you scan a QR code into an app like google authenticator) is much stronger
Yeah, I put mine on the Authenticator app.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

repiv posted:

SMS 2FA is pretty busted, at least in the US

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber

Which pisses me off when some account requires me to give them my phone number so they can send codes when I already have a separate 2FA set up. That just encourages someone who wants my account to spoof my sim card.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

The newest Indiegala Freebie is Slash It:

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256676686/movie480.webm?t=1482011203

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Veib posted:

You haven't been reading the Steam thread have you

Multiple goons have gotten their accounts hijacked over the past idk maybe six months or so because they used their 2FA on a fake Steam page, which then uses that information to immediately log in on the account

lmao

Also LastPass works just fine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just use my existing password and keep adding exclamation points to the end

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Also LastPass works just fine.

lastpass has fallen out of favour due to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

they also keep removing features from the free tier

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I use the one built into google chrome.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I was mostly fine keeping on with LastPass but completely neutering the free tier did me in. Completely useless.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The whole point of a password manager is to keep you safe from giant corporations who moronically fail at basic encryption / security practices and end up leaking your login info.

I wouldn't trust a password manager that sends all your data to live on one particular corporation's servers where you just have to hope that they're not one of the stupid ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

So use KeePass or bitwarden with locally stored files if that's your prerogative

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i do

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My strategy is having such a low credit rating that stealing my identity isn't worth the effort.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Skwirl posted:

My strategy is having such a low credit rating that stealing my identity isn't worth the effort.

This is also my tactic. Super convenient.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nyaa posted:

people can pay like $14 to get access to your texts, so don't make any enemies keen on your game accounts

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

repiv posted:

lastpass has fallen out of favour due to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LastPass#Security_issues

they also keep removing features from the free tier

Hey I'm super dumb and have lasspass, what's a good alternative to it with the same level of integration and ease? Paying for a service isn't the end of the world either.

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Hey I'm super dumb and have lasspass, what's a good alternative to it with the same level of integration and ease? Paying for a service isn't the end of the world either.

Bitwarden.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

1) Get Bitwarden

2) Don’t self host it because lmao it’s not 2003

3) Turn on two factor authentication with Google Authenticator and NOT a text to your phone because lmao it’s not 2013

Secure passwords is done

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looks like the epic thing was a false alarm but on the bright side we got to learn about security :unsmith:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

1) Get Bitwarden

2) Don’t self host it because lmao it’s not 2003

3) Turn on two factor authentication with Google Authenticator and NOT a text to your phone because lmao it’s not 2013

Secure passwords is done

Self hosting is fine if you don’t want to rely on Bitwarden to host or if it’s ever compromised. Heck it’s easier than ever to self host now and is a good learning experience.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

By self host you mean just putting the password file onto Dropbox or something? That doesn’t seem too bad.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Social Animal posted:

By self host you mean just putting the password file onto Dropbox or something? That doesn’t seem too bad.

No, it means running it off your own server.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Social Animal posted:

no its much nerdier than that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cage-free egghead posted:

Self hosting is fine if you don’t want to rely on Bitwarden to host or if it’s ever compromised. Heck it’s easier than ever to self host now and is a good learning experience.

No it’s much worse and your jank home Linux box is much more likely to get compromised than the Bitwarden cloud service with a literal team of security people looking after it

Their cloud hosted version is still free. Don’t self host it unless you’ve run out of space in your neckbeard to store post it’s with your passwords on them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will fight any and all dissenting opinions on this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I use a piece of paper and a pencil. If a hacker breaks into my study, he's free to log on to my MySpace.

E: actually it's a notebook.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I use a piece of paper and a pencil. If a hacker breaks into my study, he's free to log on to my MySpace.

I’m in ur room rearranging ur top 8

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I also use a notebook but it's in my back pocket at all times so if somebody wants to steal my internet identity they have to touch my butt and also leaf through pages of notes that smell like my farts to do it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

3D Megadoodoo posted:

after about the second hour of looking up passwords in my notebook and trying to determine whether my lovely handwriting says
"aAbF';Dn-jd|,2CGw>|8smwec8n(\v^v" or
"aAbF';Dn-jdl,2CGw>I8smwec8n(\v^v",
i would just go back to using insecure passwords
and god forbid having to manually type poo poo like that into a phone keyboard if I ever want to log in somewhere on mobile

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My office made strict passwords so now management just has us all keep the password under our keyboard

It used to just be Terminal1 for everyone

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Goons first got me to buy a bidet and now they are trying to make me get a password manager. What's next? Flossing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Len posted:

My office made strict passwords so now management just has us all keep the password under our keyboard

It used to just be Terminal1 for everyone

staples of a good immersive sim