Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Cooking-soda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr. Fix It posted:

does it really make sense to compare per capita numbers? individual contribution to carbon dioxide release is rather uneven. if you want to own the US and Europe it'd be better to point out that the many of products produced via all that carbon output are exported and consumed by those wealthy countries.

Per capita numbers are just a rough measure but I think they're better than total numbers. It would be a bit weird going on about how little greenhouse emissions New Zealand produces compared to China when our per capita emissions are so much higher. I don't really care to own anyone I just thought that one fellow posting a raw number comparison between China and USA was missing the wood for the trees.
You're right that China's greenhouse emission output is largely due to all that manufacturing though.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Cooking-soda?

Yes, please expand on this idea.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Vesi posted:

you can still create social pressure to forget things, eventually noone will care about the truth other than dissidents and some history nerds

One of my Chinese teachers was at Tiananmen Square during the July 4 incident and she said that in the days afterwards, other Beijingers were literally denying anything happened even though she had been running from a tank 70 hours before that. A few other teachers I've had have also expressed similar sentiments but hers really stuck out to me because of how fast people were willing to memory hole it.

Giggle Goose posted:

You ever had a beer chicken? It's like that but with Pepsi. Honestly I think Coke works better in those circumstances, Pepsi is too loving sweet for me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Weka posted:

Per capita numbers are just a rough measure but I think they're better than total numbers. It would be a bit weird going on about how little greenhouse emissions New Zealand produces compared to China when our per capita emissions are so much higher. I don't really care to own anyone I just thought that one fellow posting a raw number comparison between China and USA was missing the wood for the trees.
You're right that China's greenhouse emission output is largely due to all that manufacturing though.

Total numbers are what hits the earths atmosphere however. It doesn't matter what New Zealands Per capita numbers are for 5 million people when there's 1.3 billion people in China. Total emissions is what matters to the world, and most of those emissions come from the US, China and India. China at least has announced reduction plans, if they commit to them they will do their part. It's India who is really behind on responding to climate change.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well, and the US who could actually do something about climate change without significantly impacting most of its citizens.

However I seriously doubt any of those three nations will take action until a major shift forced their hand. China and US and India and China racing into a Cold War will not be likely to make any of those countries decide to be more responsible.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Contrary to popular belief, the US has been lowering emissions. US per capita emissions have been pushed down roughly 25% over the last 20 years with total emission down about 20% and a prevailing downward trend.
There's a lot of work left and a ways still needed to go but it's on the right track with every year below that 0 line representing an improvement.

China on that same time scale has increased per capita emissions almost 300% and total emissions by about the same. India's emissions are still growing but are currently dwarfed by China. Obviously it's unfair to say that they shouldn't be increasing when their average citizen is so drat poor relative to US standards of living but it's still a worrying trend and the prevalence of rolling out new Coal generation in China instead of cleaner alternatives is a major contribution.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Giggle Goose posted:

I assume for Cola Chicken? Which I'd never heard of until an Asian friend of mine made it and it was an amazing marinade for wings.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

hakimashou posted:

It’s been a while but I think it was more popular than Pepsi by a lot. It’s popular.

In Chinese it’s called CAN MOUTH CAN HAPPY and it’s signature color is red so it had a significant leg up there I think.

It's also diffused into the culture the same way it has in parts of America. A lot of people use "Ke Le" as shorthand for soda just like with "coke".

Cola's amazing in chili as well

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 7, 2021

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

E: nvm

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 7, 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It was this thread that was talking about China's general failures at team vs individual sports right?

FROSTBITTEN: CHINA FACING OLYMPIC ICE HOCKEY EXPULSION

quote:

In news that has not previously been reported, China Sports Insider can exclusively reveal that the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) has threatened to kick the Chinese team out of its own Olympic ice hockey tournament on home soil in Beijing if China doesn’t get its act together quickly, according to multiple sources. Furthermore, the situation is so dire that the IIHF has offered to waive its own eligibility requirements to allow China to bolster its own team through foreign-born recruits.

When the men’s draw was made in April 2020, China, as the lowest-ranked 12th seed, was placed in a group with Canada (#1), USA (#6) and Germany (#7). Germany might sound beatable to outsiders, but they won the silver medal in Pyeongchang four years ago, when NHL players didn’t take part. Then, last summer, as part of the NHL’s negotiations to “Return To Play” following the COVID-enforced break, the NHL provisionally signed off on allowing its players to take part at Beijing 2022. Those details still need to be finalized between the IOC, the IIHF and the NHL, but things are moving in the right direction and it appears as if the absolute best players in the world from Canada and the US will be lining up against Team China.

I cannot stress enough quite how disastrous this could be for China if Connor McDavid and his merry band of NHL All-Stars face the current Chinese Olympic ice hockey squad, which is currently training up in Shenyang. One hockey executive spoke of an impending “slaughter”. A coach who has first-hand experience with the Chinese squad told me he thought the scores against Canada and the US could be in the region of 100-0.

The article also mentions that - surprise! - "political infighting [is] hindering recruitment process for players". :monocle:

edit: to be fair the article says that part of the problem is that China's hockey talent, such as it is, is largely still too young for the Olympics since they haven't really made a push in hockey until fairly recently.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 7, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

As a Canadian, I would pay serious money to see that in person. I only got to watch Sweden beat Belarus during the 2010 Olympics. :belarus:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

This is super interesting ty for sharing

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

McGavin posted:

As a Canadian, I would pay serious money to see that in person
... assuming the MSS doesn't disappear everyone from our squad. It's good to know that the Chinese squad would probably still lose against a boycott.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

Yeah, I learned that George Soros is both communist and anti-communist at the same time.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Must have missed that part

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Total numbers are what hits the earths atmosphere however. It doesn't matter what New Zealands Per capita numbers are for 5 million people when there's 1.3 billion people in China. Total emissions is what matters to the world, and most of those emissions come from the US, China and India. China at least has announced reduction plans, if they commit to them they will do their part. It's India who is really behind on responding to climate change.

Well if they’ve said the words about it I guess that’s that lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

The junk collector posted:

Contrary to popular belief, the US has been lowering emissions. US per capita emissions have been pushed down roughly 25% over the last 20 years with total emission down about 20% and a prevailing downward trend.
There's a lot of work left and a ways still needed to go but it's on the right track with every year below that 0 line representing an improvement.

China on that same time scale has increased per capita emissions almost 300% and total emissions by about the same. India's emissions are still growing but are currently dwarfed by China. Obviously it's unfair to say that they shouldn't be increasing when their average citizen is so drat poor relative to US standards of living but it's still a worrying trend and the prevalence of rolling out new Coal generation in China instead of cleaner alternatives is a major contribution.

This is more damning but I guess consumption based stats are more important, so I looked them up. America's emissions are 8% higher than on a production basis and China's are 14% lower. That's a lot smaller a difference than I expected.
https://ourworldindata.org/consumption-based-co2 is my source.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm not sure what would be worse for a Chinese hockey team: getting destroyed by an almost certainly extremely strong Team USA, or annihilated by a lapdog state like Canada. Maybe they'd just pretend it never happened in the first place.

But I also don't know how wise it would be to let elite athletes of any stripe go to an event in China where the government has outright stated that they are perfectly happy to take foreign hostages to try and force other governments to do what they want.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 8, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

100% worse if they're annihilated by Canada. Just to be safe though, no Michaels should be allowed to play on the Canadian Olympic hockey team.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I will also pay money to see China play ice hockey and get literally 100 to 0'd

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Porfiriato posted:

It was this thread that was talking about China's general failures at team vs individual sports right?

FROSTBITTEN: CHINA FACING OLYMPIC ICE HOCKEY EXPULSION

lol

“If the Canadians had two players and no goalie, they would still win – comfortably,”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
are you allowed to fight in nation state competition hockey?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

bob dobbs is dead posted:

are you allowed to fight in nation state competition hockey?

instead of just a 5 minute penalty they throw you out of the game and the next one, so it doesn't happen much

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 8, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

instead of just a 5 minute penalty they throw you out of the game and the next one, so it doesn't happen much

That’s incredibly lame.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

paul_soccer12 posted:

I greatly appreciate the Grayzone's coverage of America's efforts to impose regime change on Saudi Arabia

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Fearless posted:

I'm not sure what would be worse for a Chinese hockey team: getting destroyed by an almost certainly extremely strong Team USA, or annihilated by a lapdog state like Canada. Maybe they'd just pretend it never happened in the first place.

But I also don't know how wise it would be to let elite athletes of any stripe go to an event in China where the government has outright stated that they are perfectly happy to take foreign hostages to try and force other governments to do what they want.

they can straight brought out the referees team and win this poo poo, sportsmanship isn't quite a thing over there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Even if China bought the referees they would still be destroyed. The gulf between good countries and bad ones in hockey is immense.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1390713496917069825

"China loves peace and doesn't pick fights, but if anyone gets in the way of our upcoming invasion of Taiwan-"

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

je1 healthcare posted:

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1390713496917069825

"China loves peace and doesn't pick fights, but if anyone gets in the way of our upcoming invasion of Taiwan-"

Australia has a military alliance with America. Given the current state of the world, breaking the alliance would be unthinkable.

As for retaliatory strikes, what are they going to aim for? There's nothing worth bombing in Australia.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

trying to pick a fight with Australia and Vietnam at the same time, two countries that are famously easy to invade and occupy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dongsturm posted:

As for retaliatory strikes, what are they going to aim for? There's nothing worth bombing in Australia.

Eh, there's shipyards and major airfields in Australia that could be of strategic use in a Pacific conflict. Darwin might eat a few spare cruise missiles, for instance.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Eh, there's shipyards and major airfields in Australia that could be of strategic use in a Pacific conflict. Darwin might eat a few spare cruise missiles, for instance.

eh, Darwin won't be missed. First by a missile, then by the rest of the country.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Isn’t Darwin like Alabama but for Bogans?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Isn’t Darwin like Alabama but for Bogans?
proof its namesake's theory needs tweaking

Weka
May 5, 2019

Some Chinese company has a 99 year lease on port Darwin.

Edit: China must take into account the possibility of accidentally bombing the emus and starting a second front it cannot hope to win.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
can't imagine how a sino-emu war would turn out

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
The last time China declared war on a bird 30 million Chinese died before China surrendered.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The junk collector posted:

The last time China declared war on a bird 30 million Chinese died before China surrendered.
:pusheen: