Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Wow, if the rebate could push this to be way less than the ICE powered version, that would be huge!

EV RV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I really want one, haha.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Teslas read the road signs now and adjust accordingly to your presets.

This is one of those things where the statement isn't necessarily false, yet not at all reflecting actual reality. Tesla also reads the road signs wrong, reads signs where there are none and takes speed limit data from the map which in many cases is inaccurate. This is easy to observe in repeatable cases where a car driving on the highway under a bridge at 110 kph suddenly wants to brake to 50 kph, which happens to be the speed limit of the road on the crossing bridge and which is drawn above the highway on the map.

In most cases it works well, but if you live in a buggy map area you experience wrong speed changes on every drive.

I get this on the Leaf as well btw. There's a tunnel in Hardanger, Norway where the speed limit on the dash consistently reads 5 kph, even though it's 80 kph all the way. It doesn't change the set speed though.

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 7, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola posted:

This is one of those things where the statement isn't necessarily false, yet not at all reflecting actual reality. Tesla also reads the road signs wrong, reads signs where there are none and takes speed limit data from the map which in many cases is inaccurate. This is easy to observe in repeatable cases where a car driving on the highway under a bridge at 110 kph suddenly wants to brake to 50 kph, which happens to be the speed limit of the road on the crossing bridge and which is drawn above the highway on the map.

In most cases it works well, but if you live in a buggy map area you experience wrong speed changes on every drive.

I get this on the Leaf as well btw. There's a tunnel in Hardanger, Norway where the speed limit on the dash consistently reads 5 kph, even though it's 80 kph all the way. It doesn't change the set speed though.

All true, but with the caveat that it is a continuously improved system, unlike most of the legacy OEs where they ship it and then never touch the software again unless there’s a recall. When sign recognition came out (last year? 2019 maybe?) I had issues with the 70mph speed limit becoming 25 when passing under a few overpasses on my commute, and they went away a few months later with updates and haven’t been back. I do live in a major metro though, and not in the sticks.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

The EV6 has a dark green color, which is objectively the best car color. This is unrelated to my first car having been dark green.

Sometimes I miss my green grand prix. Looked just like this one.

bird with big dick posted:

Looks like the green isn’t going to be available with the GT though.

I'd rather have a green car than a faster, non-green car.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 7, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

This is absolutely true in my experience owning a Model 3 with HW V3. There's a few stretches of I-75 where It's a 70 MPH limit, and my car will decelerate down suddenly due to a 45 mph road being parallel to me. It's awful.

This isn't a sign issue, it's the car temporarily believing I teleported to a road parallel to me. Should be a simple fix.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This is absolutely true in my experience owning a Model 3 with HW V3. There's a few stretches of I-75 where It's a 70 MPH limit, and my car will decelerate down suddenly due to a 45 mph road being parallel to me. It's awful.

This isn't a sign issue, it's the car temporarily believing I teleported to a road parallel to me. Should be a simple fix.

Yeah it’s bad and means I rarely use autopilot. It’s honestly more stressful than just doing things the old fashioned way bc I never know when the car is gonna freak out and slam on the brakes, which has happened a few times

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I agreed with this right up until the last sentence.

Clearly you have never spent DAYS chasing down a bug that seems blinding obvious but is a complete nightmare to isolate. IN MY OWN drat CODE.

I mean in your code. I was talking about you, not me. I've never done this.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Narrator: it was not a simple fix

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Of course it's a simple fix, that's why the newest FSD is a complete rewrite. That's what you do when your still yet to work software is progressing as expected.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

heated game moment posted:

Yeah it’s bad and means I rarely use autopilot. It’s honestly more stressful than just doing things the old fashioned way bc I never know when the car is gonna freak out and slam on the brakes, which has happened a few times

At least it's repeatable so I just turn autopilot off when I get to those spots buy yeah, pretty irritating for it do drop by 25 mph instantly.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

I really want one, haha.

Commercial customers only :sigh:

How many kWh/day can a vantop solar array do? It'd be super sweet to drive out in middle of nowhere and leave with a full battery a week later, though I imagine the onboard charger would hate that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

cruft posted:

I agreed with this right up until the last sentence.

Clearly you have never spent DAYS chasing down a bug that seems blinding obvious but is a complete nightmare to isolate. IN MY OWN drat CODE.

I mean in your code. I was talking about you, not me. I've never done this.

Surely the machine learning supercomputer can solve this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Are you using the Nissan navigation?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Elviscat posted:

How many kWh/day can a vantop solar array do? It'd be super sweet to drive out in middle of nowhere and leave with a full battery a week later, though I imagine the onboard charger would hate that.

I think this would be entirely doable depending on how much energy you consume while camping, even 1kw added to the battery for 8 hours a day would add up over a week.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Elviscat posted:

I am an important #vanlife influencer and I need one for my business!

If you provide one free of charge, I will give a shoutout to my 47 followers!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Of course it's a simple fix, that's why the newest FSD is a complete rewrite. That's what you do when your still yet to work software is progressing as expected.

I heard the rewrite will even integrate data over time, though I doubt it has figured out object permanence :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Are you using the Nissan navigation?

Sometimes, I don't think that matters as you do get speed limit info without having an active route.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I guess a panel like that would be 250W. So if you get enough sun to equal 8 hours of max power, you'd get 2 kWh. More likely it would offset the inside LED lights and the 5G router so you don't lose too much while parked.

Why would the charger hate it?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Because solar panels have a highly variable output I'd just guess that the charger would get annoyed with doing a "I can provide this much power" handshake with the PV controller constantly and fault out.

That's not based on anything but a gut feeling tho.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
N-thing the bugs with Tesla autopilot. I have phantom braking issues that are outright dangerous if someone is tailgating me which forces me to turn AP off when someone is tailgating me. Is there a button on Tesla to tell the company that the AP just did something stupid and dangerous so their software can actually improve? If not, there really should be.

As an aside, I can't wait for EV6 to come out to replace my model 3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It isn't just a Telsa problem, the Kia system can activate unexpectedly too (at least it does in their current ICE models)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

Because solar panels have a highly variable output I'd just guess that the charger would get annoyed with doing a "I can provide this much power" handshake with the PV controller constantly and fault out.

Hyundai says the solar roof on the Ioniq 5 adds about 5-6km / day.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

lostleaf posted:

N-thing the bugs with Tesla autopilot. I have phantom braking issues that are outright dangerous if someone is tailgating me which forces me to turn AP off when someone is tailgating me. Is there a button on Tesla to tell the company that the AP just did something stupid and dangerous so their software can actually improve? If not, there really should be.

As an aside, I can't wait for EV6 to come out to replace my model 3.

You can file a bug report with voice command "bug report blabla". But I doubt it triggers a notification on Elon's phone.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrYenko posted:

All true, but with the caveat that it is a continuously improved system, unlike most of the legacy OEs where they ship it and then never touch the software again unless there’s a recall.

Yes you see, the system sucks and is broken but at least I have OTA updates. You do realize that lots of cars do OTA updates now right?

Also, the term “legacy” applied to any automaker other than Tesla is so grating. It reeks of Tesla stan-ing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

lostleaf posted:

Is there a button on Tesla to tell the company that the AP just did something stupid and dangerous so their software can actually improve? If not, there really should be.

Presumably they're collecting data around the time people turn off autopilot if they're collecting data from customer cars at all which I assume they are

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kronix posted:

Yes you see, the system sucks and is broken but at least I have OTA updates. You do realize that lots of cars do OTA updates now right?

Please name said vehicles because I'm not really aware any OEM doing OTA in the way Tesla are?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Please name said vehicles because I'm not really aware any OEM doing OTA in the way Tesla are?

The ID#, Mach E, F150, and XC40 do now, so basically models released this year. There are probably more that do in theory. Not sure about in practice.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kronix posted:

Also, the term “legacy” applied to any automaker other than Tesla is so grating. It reeks of Tesla stan-ing.

That and insisting on using the term "fossil cars" is super grating.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

The ID#, Mach E, F150, and XC40 do now, so basically models released this year. There are probably more that do in theory. Not sure about in practice.

So basically its not "a lot of cars" and even then not in the manner Tesla have been doing esp with handing out upgrades as their software tuning gets better, that wold be a more accurate statement?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Use a proper MPPT charge controller and this won't be an issue at all. I'll be happy to help further when I'm not phone posting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So basically its not "a lot of cars" and even then not in the manner Tesla have been doing esp with handing out upgrades as their software tuning gets better, that wold be a more accurate statement?

I wouldn’t call the fast and loose manner Tesla handles software updates and beta systems a good thing, tbh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I keep the car in Chill mode because I just never need that much torque. I'll turn it off when the passengers want a tiny roller coaster experience, but it's normally on.

Cruft Jr keeps her leaf in Eco mode, which is similar.

Yesterday I learned that two of my friends also keep their cars in Chill mode. Makes me wonder if this is a lot more common than I'd realized within the parents crowd.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the cruise control speed has actually gotten worse on their own Autopilot. It started out simple and worked fine, but after they added speed limit following I think something got lost. There's also the California syndrome of it being more and more accurate the closer you get to Palo Alto, so their engineers obviously think complaints from Europe are just user errors. A phenomenon applicable to all software development I guess.

I can't remember if the MobilEye AP1 had speed limit following or if it just displayed it. But I think the e-gimps do it correctly, if I have indeed understood it correctly. Realize the underlying data is imperfect so make the user have to confirm the change.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

My Volt gets occasional OTA updates. They're not common, but there have been a handful in the past couple of years.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interesting, Enyaq noticeably more efficient than ID.4 at 120 kph, even if it has 21" vs 20" and slightly cooler temps. Much closer at 90 kph, so that indicates better aero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHP1RNcXG50

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That was my point, it's mostly 2021 models that I can think of and I guess the Volt.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Correct, most companies don't force everyone on the road to be unwilling beta testers of buggy software

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Correct, most companies don't force everyone on the road to be unwilling beta testers of buggy software

Eh, in the EV world, yeah they kinda do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

cruft posted:

I keep the car in Chill mode because I just never need that much torque. I'll turn it off when the passengers want a tiny roller coaster experience, but it's normally on.

Cruft Jr keeps her leaf in Eco mode, which is similar.

Yesterday I learned that two of my friends also keep their cars in Chill mode. Makes me wonder if this is a lot more common than I'd realized within the parents crowd.

P100D X and Model 3 Perf both driven in Chill mode all the time in my household. Shredding tires off every light gets old after a while.