Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Grubsong the pity charm I just can't quit.

The Fog Canyon map 100% requires either Isma's Tear or Shade Cloak. . With Cornifer telling you he used a version of the former method. EDIT : Barring a weird glitchy trick that I'm not aware of.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Tylana posted:

The Fog Canyon map 100% requires either Isma's Tear or Shade Cloak. . With Cornifer telling you he used a version of the former method. EDIT : Barring a weird glitchy trick that I'm not aware of.

Yes, the any% speedrun route uses Crystal Heart to thread the needle between the acid and the low ceiling, and it's less a glitch and more a precise exploit that works on most of the areas that would usually require the former item. Neither of them are technically needed to beat the game, though they are still very recommended to pick up. The latter's especially useful for combat!

Edit: This is just for getting into the back of Fog Canyon, mind you. I dunno about getting to the map since as I recall it's high up in the room.

Other Edit: Nope, you can totally get up to the map with just the pogo and the dash! It's, again, kind of finicky.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 6, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

No Eyes is definitely the worst of the warrior dream fights. Not necessarily the hardest, just the one that's least fun to play. It's just awkward platforming, and if you don't rush through it she usually teleports away before you reach her, so more often than not you're just waiting for her to come near you.

Tylana posted:

I am reasonably sure you need the monarch wings too, once you're near him, although you might be able to get around it with some careful enemy pogoing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tenebrais posted:

I am reasonably sure you need the monarch wings too, once you're near him, although you might be able to get around it with some careful enemy pogoing.

I did some experimenting, and while I don't claim to be a master platformer, I wasn't able to get the enemies in the right place to pogo to the map. Monarch Wings are required to get to Conifer

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I hope we get that upgrade soon. I can see the path towards it. It's a weird path through the game but I'm all for seeing new weird paths!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Talking about platforming bosses in Mega Man just made me remember Gate from X6 which is a loving awful fight, especially after X5's change to no longer let X's buster shots go through walls.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't think you can get the Fog Canyon map right now, but that doesn't mean you can't poke around! It's pretty brave that they give you the ability to explore part of it early, if you're feeling up to it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 6, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You've been foiled by enough crumbly floors that you may want this spoiler: The upgrade to get through them is located in the City of Tears, through that unexplored room visible on your map near the City Storerooms. You may already have that upgrade from this recording session, though.

Ironically, you asked about No Eyes' phase two while she was in phase two. Yeah, she just summons more medusa heads.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like Tea's vain attempts to direct Nat to the Soul Sanctum. One of these days...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 6, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Nat not picking a colour and marking every shakey floor he finds is either hilarious or upsetting (within the context of a fun LP).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Tea's vain attempts to direct Nat to the Soul Sanctum. One of these days...

To be fair, I think you can get to the end of the game without ever picking up Desolate Dive. You don't even need to do a weird pogo trick.

Now if I were Tea, I'd be more anxious on getting Nat to collect the upgrade you get from defeating Dung Defender

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This impenetrable black energy preventing me from getting the map broke something in my brain, I've talked about it before. I was utterly convinced that TRUE progress was beyond and kept trying every new weapon, upgrade etc...

Btw, if you have a big unmoving target that teleports after being hit once...why not try you new Mega Buster on it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Simply Simon posted:

This impenetrable black energy preventing me from getting the map broke something in my brain, I've talked about it before. I was utterly convinced that TRUE progress was beyond and kept trying every new weapon, upgrade etc...

In fairness to you, the ability to pass the black barrier is required to get the secret ending. Just not that specific barrier.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Simply Simon posted:

Btw, if you have a big unmoving target that teleports after being hit once...why not try you new Mega Buster on it?

To be fair to Nat, it didn't vanish after being hit once. There were several times he got multiple attacks in a row at No Eyes, and several times when she vanished right as he was attacking.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really love the horror of No Eyes, even if the fight itself is lackluster and annoying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The whole being forced to choose between Grubsong and the Gathering Swarm charms make me think that this game should do what more recent Igvania's do these days, which is let you create whole character setups and switch between them at the drop of a hat. Also, the No Eyes fight is cool and oozes atmosphere, but mechanically, yeah, it does seem a bit blah. One of the things I disliked about Crash 4 besides the ridiculous level design and blatantly hiding crates was that boss fights felt less like a slugfest with the main enemy and more just a glorified endurance match of a level where you had to avoid enemies while the boss didn't do much of anything until you got permission to hit move onto the next stage of the fight.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

The whole being forced to choose between Grubsong and the Gathering Swarm charms make me think that this game should do what more recent Igvania's do these days, which is let you create whole character setups and switch between them at the drop of a hat. Also, the No Eyes fight is cool and oozes atmosphere, but mechanically, yeah, it does seem a bit blah. One of the things I disliked about Crash 4 besides the ridiculous level design and blatantly hiding crates was that boss fights felt less like a slugfest with the main enemy and more just a glorified endurance match of a level where you had to avoid enemies while the boss didn't do much of anything until you got permission to hit move onto the next stage of the fight.

I think utility powers should always be free once you get them. Since the main function of Gathering Swarm is to save you time when grinding for geo, it's really an anti-annoyance charm and doesn't change the outcome of fights. The main thing it does is make you hate the game less. There are mods that just make the compass charm and Gathering Swarm free.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The no eyes music is excellently creepy

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This was the first area I went to when I first got to the City of Tears lmao. Managed to get this boss in one try but it was, as you might guess, extremely harrowing! This whole little area has a a great sense of dread, I spent the whole time thinking "I shouldn't be here right now, right?".

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Congratulations, you beat Soul Master and got the floor-breaking power-up!

Now go back and do it again, but harder.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Soul Master is such a fun boss. And so cheeky. I love his fakeouts.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had a lot of trouble with Soul Master my first time through. It's silly because I find him very very easy nowadays, his stuff is mostly really predictable and there's long windows for healing if you know where to look for them. It's honestly a mite embarrassing, but I was still learning the game... but hey, that doesn't mean this isn't worth congratulating!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Watching you steamroll that fucker is deeply cathertic, he stonewalled me harder than anyone else I beat.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In this episode Nat forgets he can look down it seems. Also I thought the setting to show KS backer names was on by default.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I continue to be amazed at how quickly you're able to sight-read these (especially in contrast to, say, Megaman 11, how long did Torchman take?). It's a testament both to your skill and the developers' communication abilities, I think, and shows what the game is doing is perfectly fair. (Even if I fully suspect I'd be complaining how unfair some of these attacks are if I were getting destroyed by them.)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Masterfully done, Soul Master is one of the common roadblock bosses that people get stuck on.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Jeez, Nat, you're making this look easy!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I’m not sure what the most common route is but I fought Soul Master as soon as I got to the City of Tears which was fairly brutal. Not getting phased by the fakeout ending is mighty impressive.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Very impressive!

This one's for Tea: It looks like Nat has already bought the Elegant Key, but he walked up to the Elegant Door without getting close enough to realise that it was actually a door he could unlock. I'm guessing that without a hint it's going to be really hard for him to work out where to use it, which seems cruel given what's inside it and Nat's playstyle. Any chance of steering him back there?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro posted:

I continue to be amazed at how quickly you're able to sight-read these (especially in contrast to, say, Megaman 11, how long did Torchman take?). It's a testament both to your skill and the developers' communication abilities, I think, and shows what the game is doing is perfectly fair. (Even if I fully suspect I'd be complaining how unfair some of these attacks are if I were getting destroyed by them.)

In fairness to MM11, looking back at it, Torchman is just a much more difficult fight than this. Some of it is in the visual coding but largely it's because you're so much more durable in Hollow Knight than Mega Man is in 11.

I think a lot of how well I do is because of how aggressively I go for regeneration whenever I can as well as how much regeneration is possible because of how high my soul gain is. Even if I end up with a net 0 regen, I've still had that much more time to internalise the boss and its mechanics.

Watching back, on a lot of fights I'll teeter near 1/2 HP for a long time until I download the mechanics and end the fight firing hadokens because I've got the capacity.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Natural 20 posted:

In fairness to MM11, looking back at it, Torchman is just a much more difficult fight than this. Some of it is in the visual coding but largely it's because you're so much more durable in Hollow Knight than Mega Man is in 11.

I think a lot of how well I do is because of how aggressively I go for regeneration whenever I can as well as how much regeneration is possible because of how high my soul gain is. Even if I end up with a net 0 regen, I've still had that much more time to internalise the boss and its mechanics.

Watching back, on a lot of fights I'll teeter near 1/2 HP for a long time until I download the mechanics and end the fight firing hadokens because I've got the capacity.

I'd argue that the latter point about teetering near 1 HP to learn the mechanics--which is unquestionably true about how you play--is essentially the opposite of aggressively going for healing. Having watched a bunch of people play this for the first time, new players will almost always panic and try to heal in the shorter windows where there's just too little time to safely heal. You're much more willing to just focus on dodging and learning until you can identify when it's safe to heal, and then generally remain disciplined about healing only in those windows (not always, but who could expect perfection on your first try!). In that sense you're actually less aggressive about going for healing than most new players, which I think is a large part of your success.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Catching up from video 22, thinking about Nat's "leeway build": it's definitely a good build, and for a lot of fights like No Eyes it's one of the best builds possible. But it's not a game-breaking super-build, and there are fights where it makes sense to switch away from it. Two very general strategic considerations that should be safe for Nat to mouse over:

- The nail extension charms like mark of pride are great for fights like Hornet or No Eyes where you're going up against a small, highly-mobile target, and they're wonderful for pogoing. But they're a lot less useful in fights where you're going up against a large slow-moving target that's rarely vulnerable, or in fights where a lot of your damage is coming from spells.
- The healing-focused charms like baldur shell or grubsong are great for fights like No Eyes where it's relatively easy to back off and heal, but a lot less helpful for fights like Hornet where healing opportunities are few and far between.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Reveilled posted:

I'd argue that the latter point about teetering near 1 HP to learn the mechanics--which is unquestionably true about how you play--is essentially the opposite of aggressively going for healing. Having watched a bunch of people play this for the first time, new players will almost always panic and try to heal in the shorter windows where there's just too little time to safely heal. You're much more willing to just focus on dodging and learning until you can identify when it's safe to heal, and then generally remain disciplined about healing only in those windows (not always, but who could expect perfection on your first try!). In that sense you're actually less aggressive about going for healing than most new players, which I think is a large part of your success.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of LPers get wrecked in boss fights because they stand still trying to heal instead of getting out of the loving way.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled posted:

That's really interesting to me. I obviously haven't watched anyone else play this game so I have no context but I've really felt like I've been going for healing hard during fights.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like that the Soul Sanctum soundtrack has the same chord as the rest of the City Tears, just played on an organ to make it spooky.

That's actually another source of information about the lore. If you pay attention to the motifs, it can reveal connections that won't get revealed until much later in the game.

major spoiler My favorite example: compare the music playing during the Elegy of Hallownest in the intro with Hornet's theme.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm rewatching Nat's LP of Symphony of the Night and he and Tea get into a long conversation about signposts and being pointed towards upgrades, and how being able to annotate a map is important to Nat, and Tea mentions that he just bought Hollow Knight and you can do that in that game.

And now here we are watching as Nat utterly fails to note anything on his map. :allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've had a very tough time against many bosses initially, but Soul Master I did first try. He has a lot of very tough attacks especially on first glance, but he leaves you such big and obvious healing windows that I just never got hit often enough to outpace my healing. It was almost a breath of relief compared to previous fights where the windows were juuust not long enough (or rather, they weren't actual windows, I was just really hoping they were).

But that's ofc very, very personal - this doesn't mean that whoever did have issues was a big dumdum. It's always important to emphasize that, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I love Yorkshire Tea's increasing exasperation at Nat's ability to sight read and defeat bosses on the first attempt. :allears: