Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Abongination posted:

Magpies are super smart. My wifes crazy aunt has fed the ones around here a kg of premium mince every day for like 10 years.

Because of that, they are super friendly and no one gets swooped during nesting season.

Magpies have successfully extracted protection money and now live like a rentier class on your wife's aunt is what I'm getting from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Magpies have successfully extracted protection money and now live like a rentier class on your wife's aunt is what I'm getting from this.

Abongination posted:

Magpies are super smart.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Maybe we have about twice as many lovely fast food restaurants that we, as a society, actually need

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Thanatosian posted:

Aren't Australian magpies like... Violently aggressive?

No.
They're fiercely territorial (i.e. they keep other magpies out of their patch), and when they have chicks in the nest (and only then), a small portion of the males decide cyclists (and certain individual pedestrians) are a threat.

Abongination posted:

Magpies are super smart. My wifes crazy aunt has fed the ones around here a kg of premium mince every day for like 10 years.

Because of that, they are super friendly and no one gets swooped during nesting season.

Please tell your wife's lovely aunt to not feed them mince unless it's combined with insectivore mix or some other nutrient supplement. Mince causes them to lose calcium and seriously fucks up developing chicks if their parents feed it to them.
There is a good book on this subject called Feeding The Birds At Your Table

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

GotLag posted:

No.
They're fiercely territorial (i.e. they keep other magpies out of their patch), and when they have chicks in the nest (and only then), a small portion of the males decide cyclists (and certain individual pedestrians) are a threat.

Please tell your wife's lovely aunt to not feed them mince unless it's combined with insectivore mix or some other nutrient supplement. Mince causes them to lose calcium and seriously fucks up developing chicks if their parents feed it to them.
There is a good book on this subject called Feeding The Birds At Your Table

do you mean "The Birds at My Table: Why We Feed Wild Birds and Why It Matters - Jones Darryl"? If so, I might read it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They never said their aunt wasn't trying to eradicate all magpies.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They never said their aunt wasn't trying to eradicate all magpies.

It's the Lysine contingency all over again

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Piell posted:

Lol at this tweet further down.

https://twitter.com/SabrinaNC9/status/1390014017389965320

"We asked if they would pay a living wage and they said no"

loving Target pays $15 an hour but let me work for Chud And Sons for $12 instead

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

loving Target pays $15 an hour but let me work for Chud And Sons for $12 instead

Target also sucks rear end and $15 is not enough to work there and keep your sanity.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think the real issue is in the past 20 year rents have doubled, which is the primary expense of low wage workers, but wages have far from doubled.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
wow really? you know, you might have a point

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

lawns are bad, but without them we might live in a world where Rand Paul hadn’t gotten the poo poo kicked out of him while mowing one.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

mycomancy posted:

I'd rather take a drink from the WASP CUP

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Mukulu posted:

Target also sucks rear end and $15 is not enough to work there and keep your sanity.

It would take 6 figures and 8-hour work weeks to make any retail job tolerable

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proust Malone posted:

lawns are bad, but without them we might live in a world where Rand Paul hadn’t gotten the poo poo kicked out of him while mowing one.

I like to think his neighbor would have punched him eventually, the mower was just a variable. Could've happened over something equally dumb, like parking in front of his house or leaving christmas lights up into March.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

starkebn posted:

do you mean "The Birds at My Table: Why We Feed Wild Birds and Why It Matters - Jones Darryl"? If so, I might read it.

No, I specifically mean the book "Feeding the Birds at Your Table" by the same guy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

It would take 6 figures and 8-hour work weeks to make any retail job tolerable

16 hour work week and 5 figures, but you can punch five customers per day and it rolls over

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

16 hour work week and 5 figures, but you can punch five customers per day and it rolls over

I think if you could punch one customer a day the number of customers requiring punching would decrease over time. But definitely 10/day to jumpstart the program.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

I think if you could punch one customer a day the number of customers requiring punching would decrease over time. But definitely 10/day to jumpstart the program.

I would prefer an overwatch system, where customer interactions are recorded, and employees can file reports against bad customers. Then a jury of volunteers reviews the footage, and if a guilty verdict is passed, the customer receives a notification to report to the local PD to receive their punch, with medical staff nearby.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My wife feeds the stray cats in this public park near where we live (there's like 5 or 6 of em' that live in the bushes) and there's a crow that's always there and she'll give it some seeds or something too and it's learned her face as crows do and will fly over and hop up on a bush near her and honk now. Birds are neat.

Also she recently built a bunch of small cat-sized tents around the food area cuz a crew came in and trimmed the bushes back so there's a lot less shelter from the weather. The cats seem to appreciate it, though one of them was occupied by a large duck instead last time she checked apparently.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Wouldn’t that violate the lease??? Is it like condos so it’s possible he owns his unit or a straight up apartment complex where it’s all owned by the same person

CRUSTY MINGE explained the layout pretty well. These are all rental units, though. The owners are a husband and wife team that live out of state. I couldn't imagine they'd really give a poo poo about a guy laying down turf. They don't seem to give a poo poo about anything except making sure rent is on time.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

My wife feeds the stray cats in this public park near where we live (there's like 5 or 6 of em' that live in the bushes) and there's a crow that's always there and she'll give it some seeds or something too and it's learned her face as crows do and will fly over and hop up on a bush near her and honk now. Birds are neat.

Also she recently built a bunch of small cat-sized tents around the food area cuz a crew came in and trimmed the bushes back so there's a lot less shelter from the weather. The cats seem to appreciate it, though one of them was occupied by a large duck instead last time she checked apparently.

yeah hi i'm going to need pics of the cat tents and also cats, thanks
i will also accept a duck-in-tent

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

CRUSTY MINGE explained the layout pretty well. These are all rental units, though. The owners are a husband and wife team that live out of state. I couldn't imagine they'd really give a poo poo about a guy laying down turf. They don't seem to give a poo poo about anything except making sure rent is on time.

Christ that's mind boggling. I can't imagine how broken you have to be to spend time and money improving a rental unit. poo poo, when my parents visited me a couple years ago my step-dad replaced a washer that made the kitchen sink make a squeaky noise, probably twenty-five cents in parts and the twenty minute trip to Fred Meyer was all it cost, and it still made me feel like I was getting cheated

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

inferis posted:

https://twitter.com/SabrinaNC9/status/1390009290619068425

when and where did this bizarre phrasing become standardized?

since like a century+ ago, says the recent citations need ep135: The “Labor Shortage” Ruse: How Capital Invents Staffing Crises to Bust Unions and Depress Wages

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

oh gently caress, i forgot my new-ish neighbor is slavishly devoted to his lawn. i saw him bring terf in, which makes sense here in NH as we have super sandy soil. big, lush, green lawns are tough to come by, even though we don't often lack water. he's out there every weekend with a trowel putting down pavers around his lawn

this lawn guy laying terf down? we live in an apartment complex, though it is townhouse style. his lawn is maybe 30' x 40'. so he has paid god knows how much money and spent who knows how many hours landscaping someone else's property. lawn guys are weirder than most perverts because most perverts don't make us watch their degeneracy

Lawn fertilizer seems like a good use for TERFs. yes, I understand what turf is and I don't mean to shame you for dumb spelling poo poo.

Crow birds like magpies are crazy smart. Not just do they know to stay on the right side of white lines in the road (and ignore traffic safely), they can solve some crazy riddles that scientists invent, including ones that require cooperation across several birds. Flying dinosaurs are awesome. Unless they're pigeons.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

kaschei posted:

you know you'd have that one co-worker who will open up the shop at 10 AM, use his punch by 10:30 and then complain about he needs more until close

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Christ that's mind boggling. I can't imagine how broken you have to be to spend time and money improving a rental unit. poo poo, when my parents visited me a couple years ago my step-dad replaced a washer that made the kitchen sink make a squeaky noise, probably twenty-five cents in parts and the twenty minute trip to Fred Meyer was all it cost, and it still made me feel like I was getting cheated

I let mine know that a light fixture in my place was busted and they marked it as fixed and moved on with their day. I only did it because gently caress you there's a paper trail that I tried to tell you about this and you didn't give a gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah hi i'm going to need pics of the cat tents and also cats, thanks
i will also accept a duck-in-tent

I'll ask her to get some pictures next time.

To tie it back into this thread, our roommate was like "make sure the cops don't see you doing that, putting up tents in a park is a crime I'm pretty sure" and I'm like "no that's only a crime if you do it to help homeless people" :sigh:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

there's this big 750 unit housing development proposed for a very fancy neighborhood in SF (not far from nancy pelosi's home lol)

lets see what the developers are proposing to make it acceptable to the fancy folks:

As is often the case in SF, the small affordable component is only available to senior citizens (young folks are too rowdy and dangerous, might impact property values), and i would bet that it's also going to be at the upper range of "affordable", meaning for people making like 80%-120% of the median area income...which means it isn't actually affordable lol (and units in that income range make up like 80% of all "affordable" housing built in SF in the past few years). It's more affordable than market rate, but still expensive enough to keep the filthy poors out, while the city then gets to claim that it built affordable housing.

its an area that's well served by public transit, but there's a 1:1 parking to unit ratio. 754 units and 754 parking spaces, which im pretty sure goes against city policy, and is way more parking than is in projects in less fancy parts of the city. The fancy folks need all their cars.

also they decided that instead of building planters boxes and an extra apartment building, they will build a big lawn, and they're also deciding not to plant a bunch of trees, to preserve views from the lawn

lol

:abuela:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

As I sit here hating my job I realize they my customer cut multiple departments on their end and added their work to me

We don't even bill them extra for it. So I get to do more work and they pay the same rate

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

As I sit here hating my job I realize they my customer cut multiple departments on their end and added their work to me

We don't even bill them extra for it. So I get to do more work and they pay the same rate

That implies you had the capacity to do more work before, but chose not to. This is theft.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

Len posted:

Your boss doesn't have to work any harder. What's the problem??

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

Your boss doesn't have to work any harder. What's the problem??

I mean yeah but you'd think they would take the chance to make more money. They don't pay it out so it literally goes into their hoard.

No bonus, no 401k matching, this is just money they could have but don't

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

:whitewater:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Programming is inherently reactionary and rots ur brain

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rah! posted:

its an area that's well served by public transit, but there's a 1:1 parking to unit ratio.

That is a ludicrous amount of parking for any city let alone SF.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

That is a ludicrous amount of parking for any city let alone SF.

Well, you need a sports car, a business car, a wife car and two kids cars, at the very least. That's 5 cars needed per unit.

ban cars for people transport in cities. special exception for people in wheelchairs

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Salary is an integer.:thejoke:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Salary is an integer.:thejoke:

Eh it could have decimals if you wanna be weird about it, but you'd never use a floating point type for it you'd use an exact algorithmic numeric class like BigDecimal so you don't get rounding errors. Cuz otherwise you might inadvertently steal a few cents from a rich person, and they will probably literally execute you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

But what if we implemented floating point, and squirreled away those fractions of a cent into our own pockets, inadvertently getting unexpectedly rich in the process? That would be a great premise for a sci-fi novel. Much more believable than this crypto nonsense. I also wonder what cryptographers think about their name being subsumed by the beast.