Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Smythe posted:

reminds me a lot of how in epic MUD Materia Magica if you prestiged into the Archon class Archon Hunters would phase out of nowhere all the time to gently caress you up. that mud was badass

Yeah looking up the write-up of the original plan made me sad because I would've absolutely loved it. Definitely superior to the grinding poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

FF14 is a hotbar game from what I remember.

Camelot Unchained might've been fun but then they got all into dumb poo poo like voxel building towers. Might as well just play the private Warhammer server.

Yeah the devs tried to bite off more than they could chew with that game. All anyone wanted was a next-gen Dark Age of Camelot.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
LoTRo nailed the world but drat if they haven't botched the execution of every system they put into that game. And it's 14 years old. When I last played seriously, the level cap was 95 or something. Now it's 130. That's ridiculous.

Leveling mechanics in these games were always BS. Fortunately, I think devs are starting to see that scaled content and rewards actually work better. The theme park is more fun when all the lands and rides are open to you from the start.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Truga posted:

i am still amazed that ashes looked a lot more like a quick money grab than star citizen early on and now they seem to be wrapping up their core game development and releasing some playable poo poo soon lmao

How the gently caress is Star Citizen not out yet?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

We'll have actual interstellar space travel before Star Citizen is out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Assuming the game isn't a scam, it's just a historic level of incompetence and mismanagement. Star Citizen is still in very early pre-alpha, and the single player story driven spiritual sequel to Wing Commander was canceled. This game started development in 2011. Early Access for years I can maybe overlook if the core game that was available right now, was very playable, but it's not at all. The entire game is broken, nothing works correctly, and the server stability is really bad even though less than 100 people are always playing it at any given time.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

See this is where you're all mistaken – Star Citizen is out. It's current state is all it will ever be. Why go to the trouble to make an full video game when you can just release a new ship every once in awhile and sell the thing for $3000 a pop to a bunch of sweaty nerds?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

the single player story driven spiritual sequel to Wing Commander was canceled

really? lmao

I haven’t followed SC news in years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kedo posted:

See this is where you're all mistaken – Star Citizen is out. It's current state is all it will ever be. Why go to the trouble to make an full video game when you can just release a new ship every once in awhile and sell the thing for $3000 a pop to a bunch of sweaty nerds?

Basically it's this. The game will be version 1.0 complete when the money dries up from the whales that keep pumping money into this with the belief that it will eventually be their dream game. It won't at all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen is still in very early pre-alpha, and the single player story driven spiritual sequel to Wing Commander was canceled.

That was like the main reason people were initially hyped for it. Lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

That was like the main reason people were initially hyped for it. Lol.

Haha yep, I was as well. The original pitch was a Wing Commander story driven game, with a big cast of well known actors. It sounded awesome on paper, but as time went on, it became more and more obvious that Chris Roberts was a fraud. His previous game, Freelancer, almost sent him to prison because he was stealing money from Microsoft. They gave him a deal to either leave the project, or they would pursue criminal charges against him. The whole thing was a mess, even though that game ended up being extremely good.

Roberts isnt even working on Star Citizen anymore. He actually quietly left the project in 2018 to do small indie movies and TV. Late last year he reared his head for the first time in 2+ years to whine at everyone on the official forums to stop being mean to him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I gave them money when the thing was first announced, on the theory that when I was a younger man I got a lot of enjoyment out of Roberts' games and perhaps didn't pay for all of them. In the years since, I have gotten zero percent of the game-play value but one million percent of the entertainment value I could have expected from that investment.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Some day Jason Schreier is going to write his magnum opus on Star Citizen.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I’m not seeing where SQ42 was cancelled, I saw a beta was cancelled but not the full game. Not that it really matters if they make it official since it is never getting finished anyway, but l’d think if they actually cancelled it there would be some legal issues with refunds.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

1stGear posted:

Some day Jason Schreier is going to write his magnum opus on Star Citizen.

And it will be just three letters on a white page: L O L

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

quote:

The game was initially announced by Chris Roberts in 1999, and following many production schedule mishaps and a buyout of Digital Anvil by Microsoft, it was eventually released in March 2003.

4 years doesn't sound like a huge deal for a big game these days but in the late 90s was completely insane. quake -> q2 -> q3a was 1996 -> 1997 -> 1999 lmao. even longass games like final fantasy took 2-3 years max

if i knew all i know about freelancer what i learned from the star citizen threads i wouldn't have backed or maybe only backed at the superbasic tier. at least i got my money back lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's not actually out

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
basically you get all these famous old devs who were mad people made them stay under budget and then give them kickstarter bucks

they are not capable of delivering anything because they cant manage scope creep

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

eonwe posted:

they are not capable of delivering anything because they cant manage scope creep

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That uhhh elyon game is I guess open for some people, does anyone like it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kickstarter definitely is a mixed bag but I'd rather live in this Kickstarter world where devs get a chance and choose their scope than one where they cannot.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
The nice thing about kickstarter is that I will never fund any of the games and they'll still get funded. If they ever come out and are any good I can buy them then and it's not loss for me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

eonwe posted:

basically you get all these famous old devs who were mad people made them stay under budget and then give them kickstarter bucks

anyone who knew anything about wing commander 2 was dumb as hell for giving chris roberts money and if they didn't research him well enough to know about wing commander 2, they were even dumber

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Do you like grinding for days in a KMMO and upgrading gear just like in BDO with a similar cash shop? It’s going to be B2P too which is hilarious to me considering how lovely the store will be.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hy_C posted:

Do you like grinding for days in a KMMO and upgrading gear just like in BDO with a similar cash shop? It’s going to be B2P too which is hilarious to me considering how lovely the store will be.

There will never be a good MMO again. They are all massively multiplayer full or part time job depending on how sweaty you are. Gotta have those hooks to keep people playing. Eternal expansions games were a mistake.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fried Sushi posted:

I’m not seeing where SQ42 was cancelled, I saw a beta was cancelled but not the full game. Not that it really matters if they make it official since it is never getting finished anyway, but l’d think if they actually cancelled it there would be some legal issues with refunds.

It hasn't been cancelled, just subject to infinite delays.
The original tag line for the game was 'Answer the call - 2016' :laugh:
It was promised to be released into beta in Q3 2020 but again, didn't

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

Elyon: Infinite Realms is a bland kmmo. Did you ever play Tera and remember the questing expereince there? It's kind of like that but more modern. Still boring. Can't bring myself to keep playing it.

Source: Myself, with CBT access.

It's the same pie filling we've seen before with a fresh crust. I mean if someone comes along who has never played an MMO before in their life then perhaps that person will enjoy it. Could be thats their target market. Whether it exists in sufficient quantity is the question.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's a money laundering operation. There's basically nothing about its financials that make any kind of sense, even assuming a miraculous drip feed of new people with too little sense and too much money.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
People multi-box in all MMOs but I've never seen one where the company takes advantage of this and writes a client that is explicitly built for supporting boxing.

Seems a bit of no-brainer to make it easier for people to give you more money each month.

Fast character swapping like managing a party in a single-player rpg - something along those lines.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Granado Espada had the player control three characters at the same time. You could build a little party out of healers and rangers or whatever. You could also set characters to automatic. I only played a couple of hours but some zones were full of teams with a healer and rangers, all AFK on automatic, practically botting. Also I just checked and the game's still going somehow, ha

http://www.granadoespada.com/page/main.php

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I played the elyon game. They let you make a kpop orc which I liked. I also liked that the build system has like 300 skills, but you can only equip like 6 or 7 of them at a time, and then there are skill modifiers like diablo runes you can apply to them, but they change the way they work a lot. So like I'm a dps/healer class and the main resource builder can be runed into healing instead of damage. Or like a lot of skills can be runed into CC's or PBAOEs or whatever to make different types of builds. You can also change your skills, runes, etc. anytime you're out of combat for free. So it seems like there's a lot of build construction which I like.

However, you get the points for assigning runes by equipping runestones and you can only level up runestones iwth this insanely constrained currency. And out of the 4 runes each skill has, you get the first two right off the bat, the third one you get by clearing out all the quests in an area or killing world bosses, and the fourth one by buying it with like 100 of a resource where you get one by doing a daily quest. The third and fourth rune are clearly way stronger (although they lend themself to one build or another so I'm sure you'll end up using some weaker ones to fill out a build).

The leveling is a weird greased chute. There's a story but there's like maybe 2 or 3 story quests per level on the far outside, and about half of those are introducing you to poo poo you've unlocked, like you hit 36 and get player housing, so we have 1 or 2 quests that advance the story and then a long chain that's a player housing tutorial. And then between levels there will be like a bunch of area quests where you just accept all of them from a single menu, then spend 10-20 min hitting the END key so your guy goes to the next green diamond, kill green diamond guys, press END again to go to the next green diamond. Maybe TERA was like that, idk, I've done BDO and Archeage and both of them had incredibly detailed and obnoxious dialogue-filled leveling experience, so this seems somewhat restrained by comparison. I'm not sure if I like it better or not.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

30.5 Days posted:

then spend 10-20 min hitting the END key so your guy goes to the next green diamond, kill green diamond guys, press END again to go to the next green diamond.

Wait, so it auto-battles like some loving mobile RPG?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

1stGear posted:

Wait, so it auto-battles like some loving mobile RPG?

No, it just autotravels to your next objective

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Roberts isnt even working on Star Citizen anymore. He actually quietly left the project in 2018 to do small indie movies and TV. Late last year he reared his head for the first time in 2+ years to whine at everyone on the official forums to stop being mean to him.

This isn't true, Roberts is still very much collecting a pay check from Star Citizen. The mix up with him making indie movies was actually another guy named Chris Roberts but not our boy.

SQ42 will likely get pushed out the door in some horribly broken state because Star Citizen has been taking outside investor money for awhile now and they will at some point want a return. Star Citizen the MMO game and what die hard backers actually care about will never be completed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so this swords of legend online thing that's coming to steam, is it good or nah?

the only thing i can find about it is some guy making a review of the chinese version 2 years ago while knowing zero chinese

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I’ve been following it and it looks good to me so far. The combat looks really good, PvE endgame but has active PvP as well, not P2W, western publisher’s been very transparent about the cash shop and has addressed a number of issues and concerns in discord and via livestreams. They’re doing another livestream this Thursday to show off some dungeon content. Apparently the game is very popular in China.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i'm tempted to break my "don't play a mmo until it's been alive and well received for a year" habit because it looks so good

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I preordered :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Going to buy it once it launches on Steam. It should tie me over until New World launches and then I can be disappointed in two MMOs back to back within a 1 month period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like a fun MMO for a little bit. Don't know if I would play it long term but I'm def gonna pick it up