Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

DorianGravy posted:

When I'm taking pictures of fast birds flying in front of water, the camera often focuses on the water, so I'll have to read up on how to deal with that.

I read about a technique that initially sounded pointless, but some experienced guys swear by it, so I just began exploring it myself on my last outing. "Bump focusing." The problem solved is that when you start tracking a bird, when it's still far away and a long time from taking the shot, the shakiness of your hand means that the focus point is off the bird a significant amount of the time. Which means if you're holding the shutter button half-pressed (or BBF'ing for those so inclined) continuously, then you're liable to grab focus on the background.

So you only focus once every few seconds, when you know you have it nailed dead center. Then release, and let it fly out of focus (but not for too long), focus again when it's nailed, release, and keep repeating until it's so close that you can't possibly fall off. Then obviously focus continuously until you take the shot/burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

it's not often you go out shooting landscapes and end up getting bird pics as a bonus

DSCF2440 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF2435 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got my Tamron Gen1 150-600 back from repair, took it out shooting a bit today at a local park.

Hummingbird by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Robin- by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Osprey

Mallard

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

vessbot posted:

Osprey

Mallard

Why do Osprey always look like they just got up after a hard night drinking?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Last day of sun for bit here

Reed Warbler by Aves Lux, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

VelociBacon posted:

Got my Tamron Gen1 150-600 back from repair, took it out shooting a bit today at a local park.

Hummingbird by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Robin- by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

That second one is an eastern towhee (or rufous-sided, depending on the age of the book).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

jarlywarly posted:

Last day of sun for bit here

Reed Warbler by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Very nice.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

That second one is an eastern towhee (or rufous-sided, depending on the age of the book).

Oh yeah I exported that as "Robin?" and I guess the question mark became a hyphen at some point in the file handling. I don't know birds at all, but I'll remember that one for next time!

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

VelociBacon posted:

Oh yeah I exported that as "Robin?" and I guess the question mark became a hyphen at some point in the file handling. I don't know birds at all, but I'll remember that one for next time!

They can be kind of reclusive/evasive. You got a nice shot!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Phone pics, phone postin'

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

Towhees are kind of freaky looking

Edit:

tk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 9, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Had a good shorebird day yesterday! All with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary, all at 600mm.

Willet

Dunlin

Sanderling

Piping plover

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Common Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow-headed Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is that grackle blinking or is its eye just weird?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

my cat is norris posted:

Is that grackle blinking or is its eye just weird?

blinking, they have a very cool looking nictitating membrane, here's a couple older pics Ive taken of them like that

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
here's a grackle winking at me outside my bedroom window last month

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The membrane makes them look so devilish...

Great shots, though, everyone! I love grackles.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

my cat is norris posted:

The membrane makes them look so devilish...

My thoughts precisely -- I had one of those creepy blinking grackle shots a couple months ago and my immediate thought was to color grade it to be maximally creepy. Now it's topical!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 12, 2021

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Experiments with my R6 + 400/5.6 + 1.4x TC (I rented the TC). Overall it works pretty well, but not necessarily better than my Tamron 150-600. Autofocus seemed about as fast if it locked on, but if it missed, it seemed to take longer to get back on track. Obviously the 150-600 has other advantages too like closer minimum focus distance, IS, and option to go wider. That said, the 400 is almost 2lbs lighter and much easier to travel with so I'm trying to justify keeping the 400/5.6.

I also tried the 2x TC and it was noticeably slower. With this combo, I don't think I'd want it for walk-around shooting.

Still getting used to my camera so most of these are at absurd ISOs

Wildcat GHO 40014-1485 on Flickr

Wildcat Scrub Jay 40014-1423 on Flickr

Wildcat Junco 40014-1443 on Flickr

Wildcat Junco B&W 40014-1602 by on Flickr

this one isn't that great, but it's the first time I've really tried to push the shadow recovery on this camera. In post this is +2EV and shadows +100.
Wildcat Ash-throated 40014-1469 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Experiments with my R6 + 400/5.6 + 1.4x TC (I rented the TC). Overall it works pretty well, but not necessarily better than my Tamron 150-600. Autofocus seemed about as fast if it locked on, but if it missed, it seemed to take longer to get back on track. Obviously the 150-600 has other advantages too like closer minimum focus distance, IS, and option to go wider. That said, the 400 is almost 2lbs lighter and much easier to travel with so I'm trying to justify keeping the 400/5.6.

I also tried the 2x TC and it was noticeably slower. With this combo, I don't think I'd want it for walk-around shooting.

Still getting used to my camera so most of these are at absurd ISOs

Wildcat GHO 40014-1485 on Flickr

Wildcat Scrub Jay 40014-1423 on Flickr

Wildcat Junco 40014-1443 on Flickr

Wildcat Junco B&W 40014-1602 by on Flickr

this one isn't that great, but it's the first time I've really tried to push the shadow recovery on this camera. In post this is +2EV and shadows +100.
Wildcat Ash-throated 40014-1469 on Flickr

Jealous of the owl, but still love the Jay picture more.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Jealous of the owl, but still love the Jay picture more.

Thanks! This one was from a different day with the 150-600.

Gyuto Townsends Warbler-1370 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Thanks! This one was from a different day with the 150-600.

Gyuto Townsends Warbler-1370 on Flickr

Love the colors.

On the opposite of the color scale, I'm training an American Crow I see 4 afternoons a week. I go put a bit of food on the fence post every day. He's come to expect it, and soon I'm gonna get him closer. Or, he's training me and getting food every day.

Crow with French Fry by B. B., on Flickr

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

torgeaux posted:

Love the colors.

On the opposite of the color scale, I'm training an American Crow I see 4 afternoons a week. I go put a bit of food on the fence post every day. He's come to expect it, and soon I'm gonna get him closer. Or, he's training me and getting food every day.

Crow with French Fry by B. B., on Flickr

Be careful - crows can actually raise a bit of hell if they expect food from you and you stop.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

fawning deference posted:

Be careful - crows can actually raise a bit of hell if they expect food from you and you stop.

I volunteer at my son's school, and he's at my crosswalk. So, insulated from his reprisal. But, I plan on keeping scraps in the car so I can hit him every day.

edit:
Found a whole family of Red Crossbills feeding. Male, female, juvenile:

Whole Family Red Crossbills by B. B., on Flickr

And, of course, the Stellar's Jays are out in force.

Stellar in the Pine by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 14, 2021

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
White egret. First bird shot with my new 7D Mk II. Happy birthday to me!

Osprey

Duckies!!

Geese

Cormorant

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
birbs

runaway pancake fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 22, 2022

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

I dunno if they were trying to gently caress or fight, but the picture is lovely!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Merlin Pattern says more Cooper's/Sharp-shinned hawk, wing shape says more prairie falcon?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 16, 2021

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vessbot posted:

Pattern says more Cooper's/Sharp-shinned hawk, wing shape says more prairie falcon?

Big Merlin? Awesome capture!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Clark's Nutcracker. I see this guy about once a year.

Weird Color Pattern by B. B., on Flickr

And a nice color contrast for the Stellar's Jay.

Stellar in the Aspen by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

And a nice color contrast for the Stellar's Jay.

Stellar in the Aspen by B. B., on Flickr

Love this.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Big Merlin? Awesome capture!

Thank you! And that definitely seems to match. Also I could have sworn that one of the uncropped ones from the series had 4 or 5 of the tree swallow's friends in the frame, but not so. Well it was cool too see a raptor with an air to air kill, but I felt bad for the cute victim.

But not to worry, they're making more

Takeoff

Screamer

American goldfinch Wilson's warbler

Black-capped chickadee Can I get an ID help? Whatbird says Harris's sparrow, but I'm not fully convinced

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 16, 2021

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

vessbot posted:

Wilson's warbler

Can I get an ID help? Whatbird says Harris's sparrow, but I'm not fully convinced

These are an American Goldfinch and a Black-Capped or Carolina Chickadee, will on where you are, but I’m guessing Black-Capped based on the amount of white on the wings.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

EPICAC posted:

These are an American Goldfinch

Thanks for the correction!
I went back to my "other" picture of it that shows it more clearly, and it turns out it's two separate birds! :doh: And this one seems to be an actual Wilson's warbler with the much finer stripes on the wings

quote:

and a Black-Capped or Carolina Chickadee, will on where you are, but I’m guessing Black-Capped based on the amount of white on the wings.

Minnesota, which also points to black-capped.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 16, 2021

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Spring migration is in full swing, I had 15 species of warbler this morning. These Ovenbird shots are the only ones worth sharing since everything else was in the tops of trees.

Ovenbird

Ovenbird

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Butterflies count as birds because they fly right?

Monarch by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

EPICAC posted:

These are an American Goldfinch and a Black-Capped or Carolina Chickadee, will on where you are, but I’m guessing Black-Capped based on the amount of white on the wings.

Speaking of, went down to a family's backyard and sat near a birdbath under a cedar tree where a lot of chickadees nest.

Chickadee by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Chickadees by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Gooses gone wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lots of birds fighting today

Battlebirds by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr