Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm a big fan of the Byzantine Empire, they are my main income source via blackmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chatrapati posted:

I didn't know that actually. In my mind the Byzantine Empire was just a collection of bickering strongmen, which is why they fell. I should probably read up some simple history. I've never played in that particular region in either game. I still don't like the way they eat their way through the world though.

It was that for a short time following the defeat at Manzikert. Once Alexis restored control they were pretty stable. They had civil wars but so did everyone

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chatrapati posted:

I didn't know that actually. In my mind the Byzantine Empire was just a collection of bickering strongmen, which is why they fell. I should probably read up some simple history. I've never played in that particular region in either game. I still don't like the way they eat their way through the world though.

My strong period on them is the run up to the first Crusade, so it's possible this really doesn't apply to the post-Manzikert period (certainly not the civil war immediately following), but that's not an accurate picture at all. If you want a book recommendation, I highly endorse Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood.

The key thing for the Roman Empire is that it was not a series of bickering strongmen at all, at least until 1204, it's very different from the feudal aristocracies of Western Europe. What you do see are rebellions by army officers and the armies they lead. Every Emperor usually had to face down at least one. The mood of the city was also fantastically important, Emperors could lose their legitimacy completely if the population really turned on them.

E: oh and yea them consuming the map is a huge problem. As a stop gap I made Holy War require a land connection, and oh man does it ever help.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 8, 2021

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PittTheElder posted:

My strong period on them is the run up to the first Crusade, so it's possible this really doesn't apply to the post-Manzikert period (certainly not the civil war immediately following), but that's not an accurate picture at all. If you want a book recommendation, I highly endorse Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood.

The key thing for the Roman Empire is that it was not a series of bickering strongmen at all, at least until 1204, it's very different from the feudal aristocracies of Western Europe. What you do see are rebellions by army officers and the armies they lead. Every Emperor usually had to face down at least one. The mood of the city was also fantastically important, Emperors could lose their legitimacy completely if the population really turned on them.

E: oh and yea them consuming the map is a huge problem. As a stop gap I made Holy War require a land connection, and oh man does it ever help.

Ok, so the Roman Empire wasn't a series of bickering strongmen, but we were talking about the Byzantine Empire. What were they like? :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

More than a century after going clan I'm just starting to make enough money to afford to raise my entire army without going broke. Spent decades raising just enough not to start losing money and then stopping them from gathering. Spent the first decade or so just going horribly broke anytime I had to fight a war.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Baller Time posted:

I'm a big fan of the Byzantine Empire, they are my main income source via blackmail

Seriously. Golden Obligations + Fabricate Hook and a good Spymaster hanging out in their court and it's basically an infinite money cheat code.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How do u go from tribal to other governments

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

verbal enema posted:

get 5 or 10 development in your capital, have your culture unlock 8 or 9 tribal techs and be part of an reformed religion (specifically Islamic if you want clan)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

verbal enema posted:

From easiest to hardest

1) have at least 5 development in your capital
2) have absolute tribal authority
3) have a reform faith (either convert to one or reform your faith, generally speaking all Christian and Muslim faiths start reformed and the rest aren’t)
4) get the majority of tribal innovations. I think the latest patch made it 80%?

Muslim faith cultures go from Tribal -> Clan, the rest go Tribal -> Feudal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I swear when i reformed the religion Kru starts with in 867 and dont remember it changing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ok how do you get development as a tribe

i got most everything else figured out

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

verbal enema posted:

raid feudals and when the raid event pops up you can steal development from them. It has a higher chance of firing if you pick up the Viking trait

it’s also a task your steward can do but that’s the slow way

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Raskolnikov38 posted:

raid feudals and when the raid event pops up you can steal development from them

ah well being in Africa i didn't have that option so that makes sense! Well i did but i wanted to not expand too fast

ah well time to do that run again!! gently caress yes!!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

it also fires if the raided province has 15 or more development regardless if its feudal or not. but most 15 development provinces are in areas that start feudal

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

verbal enema posted:

The easiest way is to move to somewhere better, most tribal starting locations are poor garbage areas.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

binge crotching posted:

The easiest way is to move to somewhere better, most tribal starting locations are poor garbage areas.

but then i would have left our ancestral home :c

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I finally installed this game last night, started up the tutorial and figured I'd play a couple hours before going to sleep. When I looked up, six hours had passed and it was almost dawn. I put a thousand hours into CK2, I really should have known better.

Is there any way to see your ruler's opinion of others? It was a bit of a struggle to find the Find Character menu, but no dice there, just their opinion of me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This game is like Caves of Qud in where i love every aspect of it but i can just go fart around in a shooter.

But when it catches you it catches you.

I just want to leave work and go smoke and play CK3! gently caress!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Ok, so the Roman Empire wasn't a series of bickering strongmen, but we were talking about the Byzantine Empire. What were they like? :colbert:

:crossarms: Look buddy you can be wrong all you want but don't go bringing me into it.

FreudianSlippers posted:

More than a century after going clan I'm just starting to make enough money to afford to raise my entire army

Don't do that.

Also :lol: I knew Clan sucked but I didn't realize it was that bad. If it's that bad for a player no wonder Clan AI's are so helpless in the late game

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

verbal enema posted:

THANK YOU. I too hate the idea of picking a challenging or different start and then just packing up and moving somewhere else.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what game from paradox has Attila The Hun?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

verbal enema posted:

what game from paradox has Attila The Hun?

I don't think any do, he predates crusader kings, his kids didn't do a hell of a lot, and there's no real genealogy to speak of to trace him. He's also later than the timeline of imperium universalis so I don't think there's a modded version either

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Azhais posted:

I don't think any do, he predates crusader kings, his kids didn't do a hell of a lot, and there's no real genealogy to speak of to trace him. He's also later than the timeline of imperium universalis so I don't think there's a modded version either

drat guess ill just play that insanely badass AoK campaign again

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Azhais posted:

There's a mod for CK2 that lets you play as one of Atilla's offspring. He's a OPM somewhere near Crimea.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Azhais posted:

When The World Stopped Making Sense just barely post-dates his death, I think, there might be a Hunnic rump state floating around in that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

verbal enema posted:

drat guess ill just play that insanely badass AoK campaign again

There's also Total War Attila which is one of the best TW games. Very moody and atmospheric.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Counterpoint: I've never done a Viking run, nor have I ever done a North Africa run, so why not combine the two? Now I also can't wait to get done with work so I can raid it up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Moon Slayer posted:

Counterpoint: I've never done a Viking run, nor have I ever done a North Africa run, so why not combine the two? Now I also can't wait to get done with work so I can raid it up.

yeah how does that go? Just varengian adventure the ivory coast?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm hearing sounds of the ocean even after closing the game.

Not complaining it's very calming but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to happen.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not complaining it's very calming but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to happen.

You're probably sitting too close to a sea shell

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

it stopped suddenly.

mods are asleep posting tall Burgundy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Giving me big EUIV on launch feelings

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

So a playable republic mod came out recently. Anyone given it a shot yet? Seems relatively full featured.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Same happens to me. I think the game doesn't close as cleanly as it should, sometimes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Managed to win a crusade for Jerusalem by raising about a 1000 men and sending them to siege an English holding in the Netherlands. This caused the entire Crusader army to turn their boats around and land somewhere to slog across central Europe to get to me. By then I had already occupied it and although their doomstack easily cut through my levies they took so long getting back the war had already ticked up to 100% for the defenders without a single crusader ever stepping foot in the holy land.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's very annoying when they lose the duchy they named after, because the new kingdom will not only be next to the duchy with the same name and crest (minus the crown on top), but they will be exactly the same color.

How. How. How has Paradox still not implemented either an option to recolor states, or made it so they're a random color, or made it so it picks a color not used by any neighboring country?!?!

I want this more than any expansion or additional content.

changing country colours still breaks achievements wtf Paradox

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I wish this game had a "wait, what just happened?" button.

I started as Alfred the Great and a few failsons later while I'm trying to gobble up the rest of England I suddenly inherit most of northern Spain. I've been marrying a few daughters to various members of the King of Asturias' dynasty to secure them as allies against the Norse/Scots/Irish/welsh.

It's not therefore crazy that somewhere down the line my latest King had a claim but it would be nice to see exactly how the dominos fell such that Harold II, king of England, Wales and now Spain achieved his latest crown seemingly by accident.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you open the title you inherited there is a Title History button, which should reveal enough to figure it out.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Managed to win a crusade for Jerusalem by raising about a 1000 men and sending them to siege an English holding in the Netherlands. This caused the entire Crusader army to turn their boats around and land somewhere to slog across central Europe to get to me. By then I had already occupied it and although their doomstack easily cut through my levies they took so long getting back the war had already ticked up to 100% for the defenders without a single crusader ever stepping foot in the holy land.

Lol glorious

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

yeah how does that go? Just varengian adventure the ivory coast?

I've only done a test run but that's pretty much the plan, except I was looking for at Fes. Problem is North Africa is just outside of range so it requires a layover in Wales or Ireland first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I wish this game had a "wait, what just happened?" button.

I started as Alfred the Great and a few failsons later while I'm trying to gobble up the rest of England I suddenly inherit most of northern Spain. I've been marrying a few daughters to various members of the King of Asturias' dynasty to secure them as allies against the Norse/Scots/Irish/welsh.

It's not therefore crazy that somewhere down the line my latest King had a claim but it would be nice to see exactly how the dominos fell such that Harold II, king of England, Wales and now Spain achieved his latest crown seemingly by accident.

Someone likely nominated you or your spouse. Or your spouse was high enough in line that when the title holder died they inherited. I assume the latter is what happened.