Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

It will always be insane to me that they recorded the chopped up classics specifically for Drakengard, I thought it was a way to save costs by sampling public domain recordings at first but no, they spent more on this than your regular PS2 "keyboardist with a rack module" OST would require

Little King's Story did a similar thing with using public domain classical music for its soundtrack. I remember one of the levels using Rhapsody in Blue as its BGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kitfox88 posted:

There was a ring you could give to someone to cap out their relationship IIRC

Wasn't that only in the rerelease, as a direct response to the shopkeeper issue?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

Wasn't that only in the rerelease, as a direct response to the shopkeeper issue?

The rerelease had the item to lower affection. The promise ring (or whatever it was called) was always there.

At least i think, it's been awhile

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

I believe the ring was always there, but they dramatically reduced the amount of relationship points you would get for talking to the blacksmith and the inn keeper. Before this I remember having to occasionally flash my sword at the inn keeper to make sure his affection didn't raise too high.

Wait that didn't come out right...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Little King's Story did a similar thing with using public domain classical music for its soundtrack. I remember one of the levels using Rhapsody in Blue as its BGM.

Civilizations V and VI give each civ a public domain song tied to that nation as its theme. They go for some pretty deep cuts for some, too--V gives ancient civs like Egypt and Carthage songs that were actual archaeological discoveries.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I went out of my way to ensure my true love was the horrifying little jester man. No regrets

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Simply Simon posted:

I emulated Drakengard recently because I was also curious but it really is just rear end to play. Super boring combat with zero depth, still frustrating because it's so clunky and you get stunlocked a lot, and you know if you want the true story, this'll be your life for the next 50 unchanging hours.

Only the flying missions are okay but they're not great either. Do not play Drakengard.

As someone who all but 100 percented Drakengard back when it was new, it absolutely is. I fell in love with its nihilistic weapon stories and how every new scenario inverted the expectation that things would get better. When you get ending A, you think "Oh this must be bad end, I'll keep playing and eventually I'll save the day like a regular fantasy hero" and then every end after it is worse than that by orders of magnitude. It was hilarious.

But it is entirely rear end to play, there is no doubt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I apologize for the literally unsharable screenshot but the most stern bird is too cute

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1388921177217769474?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

I apologize for the literally unsharable screenshot but the most stern bird is too cute

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1388921177217769474?s=19

Somebody's askin' for a pesterin' :getin:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

As someone who all but 100 percented Drakengard back when it was new, it absolutely is. I fell in love with its nihilistic weapon stories and how every new scenario inverted the expectation that things would get better. When you get ending A, you think "Oh this must be bad end, I'll keep playing and eventually I'll save the day like a regular fantasy hero" and then every end after it is worse than that by orders of magnitude. It was hilarious.

But it is entirely rear end to play, there is no doubt.

No game has ever hated children as much as the original Drakengard and I'm including it's sequels and spinoffs/sequels/whatever you want to call Nier. And that's one of it's selling points.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Dragon's Dogma, and that happened to me. There was a ring you could give to someone to cap out their relationship IIRC but if you had multiples capped they'd just yank who you talked to last, which was usually my One True Love, Feste.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Don Gato posted:

No game has ever hated children as much as the original Drakengard and I'm including it's sequels and spinoffs/sequels/whatever you want to call Nier. And that's one of it's selling points.

FIFA arguably does if you include real children

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

VILLAGE SPOILERS: I feel like Beneviento's section could be in the Dragging This Game Down thread if not for the big fetus monster Jesus Christ...

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh I am loving honored at this change in thread title. :getin:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I bought Disco Elysium, and in my beginning stumbles last night I injured myself turning on the lights, then later attempted to skip out on my bill flipping double birds, crashed into a lady in a wheelchair, and died of a heart attack because I hadn't realized I only had two hit points.

I'm also The Sorry Cop and a communist.

I'm speechless.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RoboRodent posted:

I bought Disco Elysium, and in my beginning stumbles last night I injured myself turning on the lights, then later attempted to skip out on my bill flipping double birds, crashed into a lady in a wheelchair, and died of a heart attack because I hadn't realized I only had two hit points.

I'm also The Sorry Cop and a communist.

I'm speechless.

Sounds like you’re playing it correctly

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Is is the best game, and I want to grab people I know who don't play it because the name is weird and the story sounds vaguely boring by the shoulders and go "my communard have u heard about the pale".

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RoboRodent posted:

I bought Disco Elysium, and in my beginning stumbles last night I injured myself turning on the lights, then later attempted to skip out on my bill flipping double birds, crashed into a lady in a wheelchair, and died of a heart attack

Aw dang, didn't get a chance to play the game huh

Edit: Rip

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If you have a mission waypoint active in WD: Legion, the top parcel delivery task available in the world will have as its target the drop-off point closest to your objective. If the distance is below a kilometer, you have to deliver the package without breaking it, if it's above, you just need to evade the authorities.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't care if the Binding of Isaac's sense of humor is juvenile, it makes me laugh like a crazy man and thus it makes the game for me personally

https://clips.twitch.tv/PhilanthropicPatientLapwingOptimizePrime-7XC8HtcsuITgWF5w

edit: Another for your consideration

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineDreamyCougarTriHard-pO-TU22gGcv26Hlq

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:41 on May 11, 2021

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
RE8 makes it very clear which loot is for selling, and which loot can be combined with other loot for much greater profit.

A very small detail but I greatly appreciate it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

moosecow333 posted:

RE8 makes it very clear which loot is for selling, and which loot can be combined with other loot for much greater profit.

A very small detail but I greatly appreciate it.

Having an entire different page for "stuff to sell or combine later" is a great move.

Even if it didn't stop apparently everyone in the world from selling meat to the merchant despite it not being under that tab.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bussamove posted:

Having an entire different page for "stuff to sell or combine later" is a great move.

Even if it didn't stop apparently everyone in the world from selling meat to the merchant despite it not being under that tab.

Well I mean when you're actually vending everything is in one window, so I can see that being a thing. And he pays good money for meat and you can easily get more meat than you need.

I tried selling fish to the duke to see if that unlocked the cooking minigame, unaware that I just needed to visit a house and come back. I ended up short getting all the upgrades exactly the number of fish that I sold as part of this test, because I did not reload an earlier save.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Not me, there's still unsold meat sitting in Ethan's briefcase to this very day :c00lbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Moons of Madness, a sci-fi horror game. I'm very amused that for once in a horror game, if you get the good ending, the nuclear missile failsafe built by the amoral megacorp actually works. Not against the contingency it was *intended* for, but still.

The authorization code to launch the nuke also sums up the game pretty well: "Mars sucks."

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That game was short but good as hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

packetmantis posted:

That game was short but good as hell.

Yeah, solid little sci-fi horror game. For those who haven't heard of it, the premise of Moons of Madness is that you're the chief engineer in the first manned colony on Mars when things, naturally, start to go horribly wrong.

No combat, just a few parts where you have to hide and run from monsters. The emphasis is more on puzzle solving and exploration.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Paper Mario: Origami King there's a quick travel system where you fax yourself to other locations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

In Paper Mario: Origami King there's a quick travel system where you fax yourself to other locations.

This just means Mario dies each time and is reprinted.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Nah it's more like SOMA.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Nah it's more like SOMA.

Yeah if Simon was fed into a shredder every time he copied.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I mean that is entirely reasonable considering how the game treats Bob-ombs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Yeah if Simon was fed into a shredder every time he copied.

That would actually be more humane.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Morpheus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRozarc1kSo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I like how Aloy remarks on little things here and there in Horizon: Zero Dawn. She doesn't do it all the time, and there's a surprising amount of variation, so it feels less like a "ITEM ACQUIRED" notification and more like "Aloy's happy she has pork chops and healing weeds."

It also makes sense she'd talk to herself a lot because she spent most of her life almost entirely isolated. Her caretaker Rost was a caring enough person, but he wasn't very talkative.

Also, gently caress ELON MUSK TED FARO

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Also, gently caress ELON MUSK TED FARO

:hmmyes:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

oh man they based a game on my favorite home movie

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It’s basically the plot of the prestige. Will the original Mario pop out on the other side? Or is he the one who is just crumpled up and discarded after the fax is complete?

Every time Mario fast travels he is haunted by this thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Swapper was an underrated gem and still towards the top of the list when people are asking for recommendations for puzzle games. I should reinstall and play through it again since it's been long enough since the last time that I'll have forgotten all the puzzles.