Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Wardens use frost because nobody else does and they needed a third tree.

Leveling a healer is chill as hell, no different from a dps. Most classes have very few morphs you’d need to change, and you’re still building spell power and magicka for the most part. All the really gritty specialization kicks in at cp160 with specific gear sets and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

ASenileAnimal posted:

are the dual wield weapons worth having to fight the annoying minotaur boss over and over? i was planning to get them for my stam sorc.

No. Honestly none of the arena DW weapons (Maelstrom, DSA, BRP, or here in Vate) are worth using outside of a few very specific circumstances. the 2H Maul is decent for PVP, and the destro stave is cancer for PVP. I have used the resto in a few HM DLC dungeons to try it out, and it is not bad. The bow and S & B are just decon fodder.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

a pale ghost posted:

I have a hard time moving around and using abilities at the same time, anyone have advice for that? Makes PvP a nightmare

Pretty much just practice if you aren’t used to games like WoW or Diablo.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

DoriDori240 posted:

No. Honestly none of the arena DW weapons (Maelstrom, DSA, BRP, or here in Vate) are worth using outside of a few very specific circumstances. the 2H Maul is decent for PVP, and the destro stave is cancer for PVP. I have used the resto in a few HM DLC dungeons to try it out, and it is not bad. The bow and S & B are just decon fodder.

thanks! i ran it twice and got the resto and fire staff but i kinda dont want to repeat the more annoying parts of the dungeon over and over for something i wont use.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a pale ghost posted:

Why do wardens use frost magic? Doesn't really seem to fit the nature theme

I have a hard time moving around and using abilities at the same time, anyone have advice for that? Makes PvP a nightmare

Also what's it like to level a healer?

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Wardens use frost because nobody else does and they needed a third tree.

Leveling a healer is chill as hell, no different from a dps. Most classes have very few morphs you’d need to change, and you’re still building spell power and magicka for the most part. All the really gritty specialization kicks in at cp160 with specific gear sets and poo poo

The lore/design justification is that the warden is supposed to be slightly Solstheim-themed, for whatever it's worth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

a pale ghost posted:

Also what's it like to level a healer?

Instant queue for dungeons is really nice. You also don't really have to do any actual healing, no one ever takes any real damage.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Took a long break since greymoor, I never even got to that campaign, was still backfilling previous ones

so with that in mind, how's blackwood looking? good enough to come back and not play it??

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I just bought a second outfit slot and learned it's just for that character. Feel kind of ripped off

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

I just bought a second outfit slot and learned it's just for that character. Feel kind of ripped off
Yeah, pretty ridiculous. You can ask for your crowns back and explain that it wasn't clear in the store description.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

are vet dungeon enemies supposed to have tons of hp or is my damage crappy? im using a magplar and running julianos/mothers sorrow/iiambris and my damage is around 3.4k with 64% crit. i usually open with burning spear, blockade, and a mystic orb while alternating jabs and light attacks and on bosses ill throw in purifying light.

i dont do many vet dungeons so im not sure if the group should be burning through trash mobs as fast as on normal.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

My skill points reset and I'm deciding whether or not to go PvE or PvP spec. Is all PvP teams of three against each other? Because I really don't enjoy that at all.

Can you spec for one or the other and do well at both?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The other PVP are not 3v3v3. Cyrodiil is a big open world fort assault. I haven't played it much so I don't know much about what the actual PVP is like (other than reading people complain about lag and ball groups) but what little I've seen feels very different from battlegrounds. The other is Imperial city which is street or dungeon fights against whoever shows up, with AI enemies and bosses interspersed all over. Sometimes you're 1V1 against someone you find, sometimes you join a group and roll over those you find, sometimes a group rolls over you, sometimes there are bigger group battles. As a primarily PvE player I've only experienced it during events and find it kinda frustrating, but I can see how it could be fun.

You can spec for both though unless you're trying to be the very best at one or the other, and while the skill reset cost can be kinda steep, the morph reset cost isn't, so as long as you have enough skill points to get the base skills for everything and only switch morphs on a respec then you'll be fine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The other PVP are not 3v3v3. Cyrodiil is a big open world fort assault. I haven't played it much so I don't know much about what the actual PVP is like (other than reading people complain about lag and ball groups) but what little I've seen feels very different from battlegrounds. The other is Imperial city which is street or dungeon fights against whoever shows up, with AI enemies and bosses interspersed all over. Sometimes you're 1V1 against someone you find, sometimes you join a group and roll over those you find, sometimes a group rolls over you, sometimes there are bigger group battles. As a primarily PvE player I've only experienced it during events and find it kinda frustrating, but I can see how it could be fun.

You can spec for both though unless you're trying to be the very best at one or the other, and while the skill reset cost can be kinda steep, the morph reset cost isn't, so as long as you have enough skill points to get the base skills for everything and only switch morphs on a respec then you'll be fine.

To add to this:

Morphs also retain their rank after a swap.

So you can have skill A, morph it to B and rank it up to max, remorph it to C and max it, and then just switch between the two morphs (at a shrine) for a little bit of gold whenever you need to.

It's not ideal, but it could be way worse.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ASenileAnimal posted:

are vet dungeon enemies supposed to have tons of hp or is my damage crappy? im using a magplar and running julianos/mothers sorrow/iiambris and my damage is around 3.4k with 64% crit. i usually open with burning spear, blockade, and a mystic orb while alternating jabs and light attacks and on bosses ill throw in purifying light.

i dont do many vet dungeons so im not sure if the group should be burning through trash mobs as fast as on normal.

They are generally much tougher, yeah.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ASenileAnimal posted:

trying to kill vateshran hollows final boss on normal and its frustrating as hell. i keep getting it down to sliver of health and then it does that gently caress you aoe oneshot. any strategies for a magplar? its taking forever to kill the things in the portals so she ends up regenning so much health.

edit: beat it right after complaining about it. works every time lol.

I can't even get past Magma Queen. Wounding and Grotto were no problem but all those adds and AoEs on her is just too much.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

I can't even get past Magma Queen. Wounding and Grotto were no problem but all those adds and AoEs on her is just too much.

the lifesteal from templar jabs helped me survive alot of stuff i probably shouldnt have. i havent tried it on vet though and i kinda dont want to

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

super sweet best pal posted:

To be honest, I don't even know the mechanics for the Magma Queen. It is just a straight burn while cleaving the adds in my experience (on vet, I have never done it on normal). This is not a humble brag or anything like that. I can understand it being difficult on stam classes which do not have nearly as much cleave as mag classes do (but, again, it was a straight burn on a stamblade too). If your damage is low, you can always focus the big adds when they spawn and leave your dots on the queen.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Gonna get into this game with my girlfriend and another friend. Any tips/info on playing on Xbox? It sounds like we’ll be missing out on a bunch of useful add-ons, which is unfortunate, but Xbox is the only common gaming platform among us. I’m thinking about playing a tank (argonian dk) to keep the group safe and reading a few horror stories about how high community expectations are from tanks, let alone from a new player tank.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cretin90 posted:

I’m thinking about playing a tank (argonian dk) to keep the group safe and reading a few horror stories about how high community expectations are from tanks, let alone from a new player tank.
"Community expectations" in this game seems very dependent on the subcommunity. Assuming the Xbox community is similar to PC, PUG expectations are pretty forgiving and there are a wide variety of guilds who I assume all have different expectations. As long as you're making an effort and willing to listen you'll be fine. Tanks have the quickest dungeon finder queues so I don't think people can be too picky for PUGs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It likely won't matter for standard dungeons anyway as long as you make some effort to keep your taunt up. Veteran and trials might be a different matter but you can worry about that if and when you get to that.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah outside of try hard content you can do whatever as whomever. If you’re taunting and blocking you are already in the top half of all tanks and your healer will be pleased.

Make a cool character you enjoy. Anyone who prioritizes numbers over your fun isn’t worth your trouble.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’m excited for the 60fps PS5 patch

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I played this for a bit during the early pandemic last year on PS4 and liked it well enough but ultimately quit on Ps4 because there were no plugins, the servers were garbage and there was constant texture pop in. How true are either of those last two things on PC?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How much does doing the light attack animation cancel thing increase your dps? I don't think I'm big on the idea of constantly slamming M1 forever

e: Plugged in a controller. This feels better for spamming this crap

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 9, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh now I'm remembering that thing too. Maybe there were other reasons I stopped playing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I played this for a bit during the early pandemic last year on PS4 and liked it well enough but ultimately quit on Ps4 because there were no plugins, the servers were garbage and there was constant texture pop in. How true are either of those last two things on PC?

They've had trouble sometimes during events, but it seems better now. Never had issues with textures.

I do have problems with the launcher needing to be forcibly closed and the game messing with Windows DPI settings, though, but that's a minor irritation and might be a problem on my end.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

They came out with a performance patch last summer that helped a LOT with performance. Still no mods though.

Not sure what you mean by "servers were garbage", but they have been stable and available. The people on them are still typical MMO people, but what are you going to do.

Oh now I'm remembering that thing too. Maybe there were other reasons I stopped playing.

You don't have to do that at all unless you are doing try-hard endgame Trials. If anyone berates you, just laugh at them. They've revamped the Champion Points system that increased the power of sub-maxed out characters considerably.

Robo Reagan posted:

How much does doing the light attack animation cancel thing increase your dps? I don't think I'm big on the idea of constantly slamming M1 forever

e: Plugged in a controller. This feels better for spamming this crap

See above. It helps quite a bit, but it's completely optional. You do just fine without it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The servers were crap on PS4. Lots and lots of lag. Anytime the camera zoomed in on a character it would take 2-5 seconds for the textures to load. IIRC the whole spellweaving (?) thing was about a 40% boost to DPS at the cost of severe RSI and was really tedious. I would have hoped they'd have just done away with it completely by now.

What is Greymoor like? I quit right before it came out.

E: Oh my important question: Do people talk to each other and socialize IN THE GAME on PC servers. Not in discord or in twitch rooms. In the actual game using channels provided by the game. All MMOs are lovely single players games. I tried out WoW recently and ended up spending at least 90% of my time in the world alone which was an extremely depressing and frustrating experience for an MMO.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 9, 2021

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

The servers were crap on PS4. Lots and lots of lag. Anytime the camera zoomed in on a character it would take 2-5 seconds for the textures to load. IIRC the whole spellweaving (?) thing was about a 40% boost to DPS at the cost of severe RSI and was really tedious. I would have hoped they'd have just done away with it completely by now.

What is Greymoor like? I quit right before it came out.

E: Oh my important question: Do people talk to each other and socialize IN THE GAME on PC servers. Not in discord or in twitch rooms. In the actual game using channels provided by the game. All MMOs are lovely single players games. I tried out WoW recently and ended up spending at least 90% of my time in the world alone which was an extremely depressing and frustrating experience for an MMO.

I've never seen a problem like that on PC servers. I've had texture popin rarely and mostly in a couple specific spots, so it was probably a client glitch and I haven't seen anything like it in months.

I don't do much PVP (just did some PVP dailies in Imperial City for cosmetics and rounded up the zone skill points), but I hear there are server performance issues in the bigger outdoor zone with huge group PVP.

Greymoor is decent overall. The first part is Western Skyrim, which isn't much to look at, being a bunch of tundra, but it's pretty dense with quests and stuff to do. You also go underground, which is a nice change in scenery, and it continues to be packed with stuff to do. The second half (The Reach) is a bit of a letdown, and really feels to me like it suffered from them having to change how they produce content due to COVID and a shift to WFH. Outside the main quest of the zone, the side areas just feel pretty barren, and the overworld and underground added feel smaller and lacking in the same density as the first part. Compared to Elsweyr where Southern Elsweyr was a completely new region and similarly packed with stuff, The Reach just feels like it was cut down a lot and reusing a lot more assets. Overall, Greymoor feels like 70% of an expansion with most of the best stuff front-loaded. The Antiquities system is kind of fun, though, because it essentially adds a couple minigames to serve as an excuse to go do older content again.

In game chat is a little light but present, mostly in specific zones where people tend to mill around for crafting and LFG, like Craglorn and Vvardenfell.

Poe fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 9, 2021

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

There's an ini setting that fixes texture pop-in; that used to be an issue when I first started playing on PC and it turned out to be a super easy fix.

SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "-3"

I don't know if PS4 has any options to mess with the settings like that, but it works like a charm on PC. It might cause a FPS drop if you use a super high draw distance setting, but with a half-decent gaming computer I didn't notice a drop.

As far as the community goes on ESO, I have always found other players to be generally friendly and helpful, but I also don't mess with a lot of endgame stuff. I mostly just enjoy casually running through single-player quests anyway. But for example, a couple years ago I was running a delve and another player was on the same quest so we ran it together, started chatting, and we actually became friends. We still chat sometimes on Steam. That sort of thing didn't happen every day, of course, but I also never had a really negative experience.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I was watching a video guide and light attack weaving accounted for something like 25-30% of damage a character does. It’s stupid, feels awful, and the game is designed around it being part of combat at this point unfortunately. I wish this game’s combat didn’t feel like rear end because the rest of the game is really cool.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks for the replies. It doesn't really sound like there's as much player interaction as I'd like and frankly I think looking for the mmorpg experience I had in 2000s is just going to lead to disappointment.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ESO is a single player ES game that happens to be multiplayer

(and a pretty good one)

light attack weaving isn't remotely necessary, especially with how jacked characters are now after the CP revamp - go look up some solo/grind builds on youtube, plenty of those can clown 90% of the game solo, this'll be even more true after companions are added

I think it's great as a chill ES experience, it looks beautiful and runs great on PC ime, grab a controller, comfy couch, go to town

As far as socializing, you really need to join an active guild, the goon one is dead as a post, I'm in one with usually dozens of people on and daily/weekly activities - twitch and discord have killed mp chat everywhere for the most part it feels like, but if you're in a guild that's healthy you won't really care

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
IMO the whole point of an MMO is to interact with other players as much as possible. To make friends and enemies and have emergent experienced based on those interactions. From what I can tell that is just not available anymore. Best case scenario you're grinding alone while chatting on discord and occasionally you might do a dungeon or with some anonymous people you got partied with through a group finder and you'll likely never speak to any of them again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I pretty much only play ESO with the dungeon finder. 90% of my play time is with other players. There's lots of player interaction if you want that, but what I really like about ESO is that it doesn't try to force your hand in one very specific direction. You have a ton of freedom in how you want to play the game, and I really like that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Normally I see the opposite all over the place, people complaining that they're forced to play with others in *their* elder scrolls game.

Also yeah, weaving isn't required if your goal is to just wander around doing random stuff and questing. It's mainly used to squeeze out that last 1% from your builds.

As far as performance goes, lol.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scyantific posted:

Normally I see the opposite all over the place, people complaining that they're forced to play with others in *their* elder scrolls game.

Also yeah, weaving isn't required if your goal is to just wander around doing random stuff and questing. It's mainly used to squeeze out that last 1% from your builds.

As far as performance goes, lol.

Oh, that's good. I heard it was closer to 15-25% of your dps but that was older threads and I guess before the champ system rebalance

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh, that's good. I heard it was closer to 15-25% of your dps but that was older threads and I guess before the champ system rebalance
What percent of your dps it is depends on what your dps is to start with and what sets you're using. Also whether "not doing it" means weaving inefficiently or not weaving at all. You should definitely make some attempt to weave on most builds. I think the optimal way to weave is supposed to be doing one ability and one light attack every second, and some abilities have a cast time which makes the weaving tricky. If you're only using abilities or only attacks then your dps is going to be much lower than with weaving but if you only weave every 1.5 seconds instead of 1, or do a few abilities without a light attack in between then that's not a big deal.

There are also heavy attack based builds which aren't meta but can be decent for most content and are much easier to execute. Heavy attacks launch when fully charged so you can just hold down the mouse button, and you can click an ability during the heavy attack and it'll auto queue to go off right after the heavy attack.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I use an MMO mouse and found weaving to be significantly easier when I bound basic attack to "e" instead of left mouse click - that way I wasn't trying to use my abilities and attack with the same hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Maybe I'm stupid and am missing something really obvious, but is there a Goon guild on xbox? The Discord seems very quiet.