Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Solumin posted:

I feel like "megafactory" no longer captures the true scale of what you're building. I love it, it's terrifying.

Yottafactory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Hellafactory

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Looking for tips on setting up Oil Factories and Chemical Plants. I'm on my second map, and i have figured out everything perfectly up to this point, I'm unfamiliar with this next stage of production. Any tips? My oil factory/ Chem plant setup looks like a nightmare

Also, i can unlock building robots now, but i havent been able to build them quite just yet. This sounds like a new dimension

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 11, 2021

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I just figured out robots and oh now I've completely deconstructed my base to lay down perfectly connected logistics squares with my roboports to be able to rapidly spring a blueprinted base back to life. On to purple science and starting my trains and uranium mine. My current base consists of a bunch of stacked robot ports, a massive solar field , and ny original oil station because its still going strong cracking oil, which was a fun thing to discover.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fargin Icehole posted:

Looking for tips on setting up Oil Factories and Chemical Plants. I'm on my second map, and i have figured out everything perfectly up to this point, I'm unfamiliar with this next stage of production. Any tips? My oil factory/ Chem plant setup looks like a nightmare

Also, i can unlock building robots now, but i havent been able to build them quite just yet. This sounds like a new dimension

From my experience as a new player as well:

Due to how inputs/outputs for oil refineries and chemical plants tend to go for most recipes, you're generally not going to be able to avoid snarled tangles of pipework. Just make sure to use underground piping as much as possible both so you can navigate your pipe forest on foot if need be and also because underground pipe connections don't try to immediately connect to an adjacent pipe, meaning it won't prevent you from placing it due to "cannot mix fluids in same pipe network" issues.

Just make sure you've got lots of open space to set up your refineries and chemical plants in, and don't place them immediately next to each other, try to leave at least one or two tiles space between each building so you can finagle awkward pipe connections if necessary.

Oh and cram accumulators (battery buildings) amidst the awkward nooks of the pipe forests whenever possible if you're using a lot of solar, since you're probably going to need quite a lot of them eventually anyways.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh and cram accumulators (battery buildings) amidst the awkward nooks of the pipe forests whenever possible if you're using a lot of solar, since you're probably going to need quite a lot of them eventually anyways.

OCD me screamed "Noooooo!" so loudly at this I'm pretty sure I woke up the neighbors. :v:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
hey i've got a 2x2 square here but no rooms for inputs or outputs, what can I put here?

a light?
a power pole?
a pump?

or an accumulator?

space efficiency dawg

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah I'm redoing my chemical area, I think I've gone overboard with storage tanks, so I need to go out scouting for more oil resources located and trained in.

What am I using the chemicals for? Why, filling more storage tanks, of course.

Time to load up the tank with more shells and go hunting.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Freaksaus posted:

Don't hesitate to add a ton of QOL mods, stuff like bigger inventory is almost required because of the sheer amount of different buildings and intermediates you're going to be dealing with. You are 100% going to need something like FNEI, but I'm sure you're familiar with those types of mods since you've already done B&A.

Also, if you decide to actually start this, I'd love to see some progress pics, py is such a fascinating modpack for me and every py base that I've seen looks completely different from the rest.

Trip report: Eaten by Biters. :angel: Will try again in the future.

Edit: Trying again, but feeling like I'm missing something: In order to get Red Science up and running, I need glass. To get glass, I need to melt quartz, and the Glassworks building that does that says it needs 600 steam/sec. I've got almost 20 boilers feeding steam into it and its little number is hovering around 200? This is making a huge amount of pollution and It Stinks and They Hate It. Also, I have no means of storing this steam at all until I research the tanks, which requires Red Science. This feels very incremental and painful!

Edit2: Okay, so Steam is 165C, and the Glassworks needs fluid/gas with a fuel value that is between 10 and 100C. I don't see anything I can make that has those values?

Edit3: COAL GAS BABY :science:

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 12, 2021

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
tjost is once again selling tiny circuits: https://shop.tsjo.st/green-factory-must-grow-circuit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thank you!!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ok sending 5 spidertrons armed with normal and explosive rockets is a bit of overkill but now i don't think biters will ever detect my pollution footprint as my death swarm patrols in growing perimeters

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

XkyRauh posted:

Trip report: Eaten by Biters. :angel: Will try again in the future.

Edit: Trying again, but feeling like I'm missing something: In order to get Red Science up and running, I need glass. To get glass, I need to melt quartz, and the Glassworks building that does that says it needs 600 steam/sec. I've got almost 20 boilers feeding steam into it and its little number is hovering around 200? This is making a huge amount of pollution and It Stinks and They Hate It. Also, I have no means of storing this steam at all until I research the tanks, which requires Red Science. This feels very incremental and painful!

Edit2: Okay, so Steam is 165C, and the Glassworks needs fluid/gas with a fuel value that is between 10 and 100C. I don't see anything I can make that has those values?

Edit3: COAL GAS BABY :science:

I strongly recommend turning off biters entirely for Pyanodons. Disable pollution, too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Anyone have a good text guide for LTN? The guide on the forums is beyond bare-bones, and videos don't work as well for me.

(And if you don't have a good text one, then a very good video is welcome.)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
This post helped me a great deal : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3629545&pagenumber=540&perpage=40#post500650626

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Solumin posted:

Anyone have a good text guide for LTN? The guide on the forums is beyond bare-bones, and videos don't work as well for me.

(And if you don't have a good text one, then a very good video is welcome.)

Aside from the link that FnF gave, the easiest way for me to conceptualize it is that LTN always wants Requester Stations to have a signal level that is greater than or equal to 0. So you use your Constant Combinators to set a negative value of whatever resource (Iron Plates, Green Circuits, Rocket Fuel) to negative at those Requester Stations, and LTN tries to find a Supply Station with a positive number to fulfill that request. :)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
What's the saturation point for logistics robots? There is no way my 5000 logistics robots are being used completely. Do i just not have enough request chests going?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I haven't dived into the backend maths of it, but for sustained requests (like smelting) it's a matter of how many roboports are between the request and its destination. They are aware of the queue size for overserved roboports, but they don't go that far to recharge, which means you can have an infinitely long row of 2x1 roboports but they'll only go 2 or 3 roboports away if the middlemost one has a queue.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

What's the saturation point for logistics robots? There is no way my 5000 logistics robots are being used completely. Do i just not have enough request chests going?

It depends on many, many factors. There's no generic answer.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Are you having problems? If you mouse over a roboport you can see how many bots there are and how many are in use so its very easy to see if they are in fact being used. If they aren't but you are having throughput problems and have plenty of materials in the provider chests you probably need to increase the requested amounts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
haven't had much time to play lately, but I built the thing after making a massive much more streamlined new base on a separate "continent" I cleared out of biters, had oodles of every resource except...stone, the one resource that is absolutely everywhere else, but no, not a single deposit in the entire continent so I had to belt it in from elsewhere.

"whaddya mean crafting the silo doesn't just autowin the game? this poo poo is rigged"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

haven't had much time to play lately, but I built the thing after making a massive much more streamlined new base on a separate "continent" I cleared out of biters, had oodles of every resource except...stone, the one resource that is absolutely everywhere else, but no, not a single deposit in the entire continent so I had to belt it in from elsewhere.

"whaddya mean crafting the silo doesn't just autowin the game? this poo poo is rigged"

my very first sucessful game my defenses weren't adequate and i ended up in kind of a race against time where i had just barely enough resources to assemble a rocket before everything got overwhelmed by biters, and not enough firepower to expand. i managed to get the rocket launched while all my mines were either dry or under attack (and then learned that it's not a win unless you load a satellite first)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
in my run i put power reduction modules in all of my assemblers and diggers to reduce pollution until i could eliminate it entirely by switching to nuclear power. i never had to defend against attacks past about the 30% progress mark. i'm the ecofriendly strip miner :angel:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Bot saturation isn't as linear as most things in factorio, but also you very rarely ever see the upper limit.

Based on some rough testing for bot saturation where there are no longer enough charging slots for thoughtput:

At Robot Speed 1 Cargo Size 1 a 1x10 row of roboports can move just over 30 items per minute (1 red belt worth)the 45 tiles between them saturating at about 1800 logistics robots
Similarly a 6x10 row of roboports can move ~160 items per minute saturating around 4600 robots
Meanwhile a 1x40 row moves just under 1 red belt worth a distance of 165 tiles with 2900 robots

With Cargo Size 3 and Speed 5 (Capacity 4 @ 165% speed) that same 1x10 45 tile lane, you hit about 240 items per minute saturating charging around 750 robots

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

little munchkin posted:

my very first sucessful game my defenses weren't adequate and i ended up in kind of a race against time where i had just barely enough resources to assemble a rocket before everything got overwhelmed by biters, and not enough firepower to expand. i managed to get the rocket launched while all my mines were either dry or under attack (and then learned that it's not a win unless you load a satellite first)

Good news, in current version you don't need to load a satellite to score the win!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DRONES

concrete production has ramped up, and so I decree that the world shall now be GRAY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay, so what the hell caused this?

I was setting up mass concrete placement to make a big road from my main bases to my new ultimate base and suddenly all my drones decided to stop what they were doing and head to the northwest, slooooowly flying over a biter base on an island and dying by the hundreds.

edit: oh, it seems dismantling a roboport somehow caused all the drones that were doing things to cancel their instructions and go to recharge at another roboport, but instead of going to the one nearby, they flew across the ocean to recharge at one near a defensive barrier

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2021

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Did that separate the logistics connection? They’ll want to recharge at one in the same network.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't really have a logistics network that connects every base, just small ones in each separate base and at defensive structures.

and now they won't build any part of the highway altogether despite being connected and all that, I've got the whole highway planned out but they stopped constructing it entirely despite having all the drones and resources necessary.

edit: wait, they all of a sudden started constructing again out of nowhere?

edit: seems like there were so many build orders to place concrete that it took a long time to process it all, now they're all working normally. not sure what other explanation it could be.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 1, 2021

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Oh, yeah, the game will only process ~600 construction orders at once (I don’t think there’s a specification for which 600 it picks). If you queue up tiles that’s an easy way to blow past 600 and your robots will ignore stuff they could do because of it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I finally did it. A 100% efficient tileable reactor blueprint:

A 2x2 reactor square with full neighbor bonuses (e.g. four reactors that are part of a 2xN reactor row) will produce 640 MW, requiring 64 heat exchangers and 110 steam turbines.
By placing the first heat exchangers directly next to the reactor, you can fit a row of 2x16 heat exchangers and have them all receive enough heat to activate:

At this scale, you need 2 rows of pipes to get enough steam throughput, and there are pumps between the heat exchangers and the turbines to ensure good flow. It requires 4 water pumps as input, though theoretically you could share one of those pumps with a neighboring row. (Or 396,000 water/minute, if you like the barreling approach.)

The only drawback (to me) is you need blue underground belts to bring fuel cells to the reactors, because there's no way in hell you're fitting a roboport in here. But by the time you're building nuclear at this scale, blue belts are easy. It's also quite expensive (~350 underground pipes, ~480 regular pipes!) but not as bad as 640 MW of solar would be.

I can't take a picture of the whole thing because it is huge.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm surprised you're not getting bottlenecked on steam on the bottom row of the boilers - it looks like it's all squeezing through one tile of pipe at the end there?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Huh. That does look like it shouldn't work. I think the pumps keep the pressure so low in that one pump that it's not an issue, but I need to see what happens when the system is completely backed up with steam. I had it running at max production for 10 minutes without any hiccups so that pipe isn't an issue in practice.

Edit: Yeah, it seems fine? I think the pumps do a lot of work to keep that pipe empty, I see it at only 20% full when under full load.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it is done, I took a break for a while because of work and turns out I was only like 5 minutes away from finishing the game lol

here is a rar file of the save file from various dates over the course of a few months for those who want to witness my ineptitude on full display
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7u17ruf8pkhuoik/For+Real+This+Time+various+saves+over+time.rar/file

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 9, 2021

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Congrats!!

Now you can put down Factorio and play something else for a bit.

Or start over and see if you can do it faster.

Or perhaps it's time for mods.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I've known about Ctrl+clicking on the add stop button in a train order to add a temporary stop, but did everyone know that on the train order map you can Ctrl+click on any rail location to set it as a temporary destination?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Solumin posted:

Congrats!!

Now you can put down Factorio and play something else for a bit.

Or start over and see if you can do it faster.

Or perhaps it's time for mods.

Do you hear that?

That gentle sobbing?

That’s the sound of Bobs/Angels.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Congrats on your first launch, Captain Invictus! :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I kinda wanna continue on the existing map for a bit, then start a new one with much more dangerous biters. I assume past the rocket launch the only thing to do is repeatable techs, right? Nothing else opens up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

you can build a spidertron or ten, which is about on the same magnitude as the rocket in terms of research and production