Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mike Rowe was also a classically trained opera singer.

That motherfucker is very, VERY far removed from the kinda bullshit he spews. He's never had to work his way from poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So we are basically t minus from super cool liberal dem and Republican lobbyists coming together to propose lifetime employment contracts for food and housing guarantees

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Absolutely not, feudalism 2.0 would imply a two-sided deal which included some degree of noblesse oblige

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

So we are basically t minus from super cool liberal dem and Republican lobbyists coming together to propose lifetime employment contracts for food and housing guarantees

Millennials are always bitching that boomers had it easy because they could walk out of their high school and into a job at the local factory that would guarantee them everything they needed to live. That's all we're trying to give them today! Also, you can accept payment in the form of company scrip and get a discount in using that payment at the company store!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bulletsponge13 posted:

Mike Rowe was also a classically trained opera singer.

That motherfucker is very, VERY far removed from the kinda bullshit he spews. He's never had to work his way from poverty.

This gets glossed over so much on the contemporary Mike Rowe narratives. The dude is part of the classically-trained actor pipeline. He learned to sing and dance, did various stage productions, got on TV doing QVC poo poo, and THEN got a tv show where he used his dainty hands to cosplay a rugged blue-collar American.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Considering a large portion of the US has terminal brain poisoning and believes working 3 poverty level jobs at once is a noble endeavor and they'll be rewarded in Heaven I'm not too hopeful we get much progress on worker solidarity :(

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

Absolutely not, feudalism 2.0 would imply a two-sided deal which included some degree of noblesse oblige

I think cyberpunk has it pretty spot on. We'll get all the exploitation of feudalism and when it comes time to hold up what could loosely have been considered their end of the bargain the new nobles will dispose of the dysfunctional cog in their machine and order a replacement part.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

I think that would require someone (Politicians and billionaires, not the working masses) to acknowledge food and housing are things people have a right to.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Luckily we've got a time proven method of dealing with nobles. :guillotine:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bengy81 posted:

I think that would require someone (Politicians and billionaires, not the working masses) to acknowledge food and housing are things people have a right to.

If it forces people to work for piss poor wages then they will absolutely make that concession.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

-Attacks against merchant marine engineers. They already have it hard enough, the poor ginger bears.

But they paint minions fan art on everything

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

boop the snoot posted:

If it forces people to work for piss poor wages then they will absolutely make that concession.

But that would cost more than just giving piss poor wages and telling people to be grateful they got anything. Literally how I was taught to view jobs growing up

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had similar lovely views when I was younger, because I was raised with the belief that good work ethic and determination will make you a millionaire.

It might. But you are starting 10 seconds behind the fastest sprinter in the 100 meter sprint.

What changed me was the Army. I watched dudes who should be rewarded, who should be having incredible success and early promotions, never get gently caress all besides a certificate for working 3- 23hr days in a row. That whole organization is "predicated" on pushing the best people forward, and instead I saw shitbags who knew who to talk to get ahead by playing politics.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

But that would cost more than just giving piss poor wages and telling people to be grateful they got anything. Literally how I was taught to view jobs growing up

Preach. Holy poo poo the first time I wandered into the BFC negotiation thread was a brain breaker, you mean you're not supposed to counter the first offer with 5% less and a beej for the hiring manager?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bulletsponge13 posted:

I had similar lovely views when I was younger, because I was raised with the belief that good work ethic and determination will make you a millionaire.

We called this “the American dream” when I was growing up and it might be one of the most effective pieces of propaganda ever created.

Maybe it was relevant before boomers pulled the ladder up though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Covid failing to deliver on it's promise of being the boomer remover and taking out all the cool silents instead is the greatest tragedy of the 21st century

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If we did a better job of being lied to this wouldn't be an issue also you're young enough to recover from setbacks - ancient boomer proverb

bengy81
May 8, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

Covid failing to deliver on it's promise of being the boomer remover and taking out all the cool silents instead is the greatest tragedy of the 21st century

RIP John Prine

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just got a notification on my phone that we have achieved the earliest named tropical storm on record

So the summer is probably going to be fun.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"stop whining"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bulletsponge13 posted:

It might. But you are starting 10 seconds behind the fastest sprinter in the 100 meter sprint.

What changed me was the Army. I watched dudes who should be rewarded, who should be having incredible success and early promotions, never get gently caress all besides a certificate for working 3- 23hr days in a row. That whole organization is "predicated" on pushing the best people forward, and instead I saw shitbags who knew who to talk to get ahead by playing politics.

If I was famous for some reason I'd write an essay or Op/Ed about how I am the American Dream personified and it needs to die.

My parents were poor as poo poo, I went to a doctor maybe 3x my entire life before going to college (where I had some meager student insurance). We lived in coastal Louisiana and I never had air conditioning, cable or a telephone again until I went to college. We mostly just lived trying to keep the power on (about 90% of the time) and keep the water connected. My brother and I hunted and fished for a fair bit of our food growing up and I worked (without income) for my dads automotive shop from the age of 11, often alone because he was constantly sick and could barely keep business open. My parents could have easily gotten government assistance but were completely brain poisoned about welfare and "didn't want a handout" so I had a couple of fractures heal up funny on their own and superglued a lot of cuts that should have had stitches, one sending me to the ER narrowly avoiding sepsis.

As things got worse I threw myself into school (most of my friends in similar situations chose drugs instead) to stay out of the house as much as possible because it was miserable and abusive. I was good at school and athletics and managed to get a full tuition scholarship to a college in Louisiana. I had to work summers and holidays in the oilfield to get enough money to pay for food and housing during the academic year and the tiniest unplanned thing could lead to being completely broke for months trying to scrape money together etc. Because I was there on a scholarship, and broke, I didn't gently caress around in college as much as I would have liked, but it kept me focused on being a good student so I wouldn't have to go back home again. At the end of college I flipped a coin and chose grad school in Oklahoma instead of Marine OCS.

From there I went through grad school and did well and got a good job for a while then went back for a doctorate and kept kinda moving onwards and upwards. Now I'm an about to be tenured college professor which is a somewhat hard job to get and I could be viewed as pretty successful. (I feel like I am and am lucky and happy).

I can think of about 50 different points where one minor misstep would have sent me back to working in the oilfield for pittance wages just toiling for 80+ hours per week. I fully believe that my story does not happen if I am anything but a white male. Because I took a moderately rough path I was alongside multitudes doing the same. I saw how each of them failed or washed out. I can say with certainty it never really had to do with choices they made and almost always because of circumstances beyond their control. Even I was about to live out of my car and become homeless because of an emergency dental visit and would have probably had my whole success derailed if not for a friend who loaned me $3000 literally one week before I was going to be evicted.

I've watched a hundred people better than me, smarter, more attractive, more charismatic, more gifted, better work ethics etc all ground to dust because of a misstep or chance. Hard work is necessary, but hard work doesn't mean poo poo when any random event can undo a lifetime of it in a second.

gently caress the American Dream.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

Florida would be the worst state in the union if it weren't for the competition from the other states

Florida's beaches should be partitioned off as a national park, leave the rest for the gators.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Edit : dp

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

That Works posted:

If I was famous for some reason I'd write an essay or Op/Ed about how I am the American Dream personified and it needs to die.

My parents were poor as poo poo, I went to a doctor maybe 3x my entire life before going to college (where I had some meager student insurance). We lived in coastal Louisiana and I never had air conditioning, cable or a telephone again until I went to college. We mostly just lived trying to keep the power on (about 90% of the time) and keep the water connected. My brother and I hunted and fished for a fair bit of our food growing up and I worked (without income) for my dads automotive shop from the age of 11, often alone because he was constantly sick and could barely keep business open. My parents could have easily gotten government assistance but were completely brain poisoned about welfare and "didn't want a handout" so I had a couple of fractures heal up funny on their own and superglued a lot of cuts that should have had stitches, one sending me to the ER narrowly avoiding sepsis.

As things got worse I threw myself into school (most of my friends in similar situations chose drugs instead) to stay out of the house as much as possible because it was miserable and abusive. I was good at school and athletics and managed to get a full tuition scholarship to a college in Louisiana. I had to work summers and holidays in the oilfield to get enough money to pay for food and housing during the academic year and the tiniest unplanned thing could lead to being completely broke for months trying to scrape money together etc. Because I was there on a scholarship, and broke, I didn't gently caress around in college as much as I would have liked, but it kept me focused on being a good student so I wouldn't have to go back home again. At the end of college I flipped a coin and chose grad school in Oklahoma instead of Marine OCS.

From there I went through grad school and did well and got a good job for a while then went back for a doctorate and kept kinda moving onwards and upwards. Now I'm an about to be tenured college professor which is a somewhat hard job to get and I could be viewed as pretty successful. (I feel like I am and am lucky and happy).

I can think of about 50 different points where one minor misstep would have sent me back to working in the oilfield for pittance wages just toiling for 80+ hours per week. I fully believe that my story does not happen if I am anything but a white male. Because I took a moderately rough path I was alongside multitudes doing the same. I saw how each of them failed or washed out. I can say with certainty it never really had to do with choices they made and almost always because of circumstances beyond their control. Even I was about to live out of my car and become homeless because of an emergency dental visit and would have probably had my whole success derailed if not for a friend who loaned me $3000 literally one week before I was going to be evicted.

I've watched a hundred people better than me, smarter, more attractive, more charismatic, more gifted, better work ethics etc all ground to dust because of a misstep or chance. Hard work is necessary, but hard work doesn't mean poo poo when any random event can undo a lifetime of it in a second.

very well said

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In a rare occurrence of non-poo poo news on the German Covid front, we've now managed to ramp up to an average of 850k doses administered per day during the work week (vaccination centers plus GPs), while the vaccination centers are pulling around 300k doses per day by themselves on the weekends.
We're up to 34 million folks that have received at least one dose, with 7.5 million of those having received both doses.

Still rookie numbers, but I'm doing my best to stay positive over here.

What dampens my optimism a bit is that the second the 7-day rolling average of new infections per 100k pop drops below 100, the "emergency lockdown" regulations go out of effect. Mind you, that is still far from the whole "OPEN 'ER UP" strategy, because masks are still mandatory, and testing before service / registration before service is still mandatory depending on the service, but beer gardens opening in the Munich area this coming Tuesday, even under "strict regulation" seems like a bad idea to me.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

That Works posted:

This is how J.D. Vance should’ve turned out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RFC2324 posted:

"stop whining"

*can be heard whining in any venue long before eyes are laid upon them*

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Seriously that dude is a loving class traitor (if such a thing can exist?)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bengy81 posted:

woop woop
that's the sound of the police

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Knives Amilli posted:

very well said

:unsmith:

Thanks yall.

I am just living constantly low-key infuriated that people who have gone through this and come out good can look back and see it any other way than "well poo poo I got lucky, this shouldn't be this terrible" instead of what we have now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My step dad essentially rescued me and my mother out of poverty and now she’s a die hard chud who thinks she shouldn’t have to help anyone and it’s probably one of the most frustrating evolutions of personality in my entire family.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bengy81 posted:

Obviously yes. Why wouldn't it exist lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

As long as there's more than one class, there will always be bootlickers trying to poo poo all over the common folk in order to ascend.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kazinsal posted:

As long as there's more than one class, there will always be bootlickers trying to poo poo all over the common folk in order to ascend.

Gotta lick that boot with the dream that you'll one day wear it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The US is a nation full of people who if offered 100 an hour and their coworkers 120 or 15 an hour and their coworkers 10 would stop and seriously think about what deal to take. Hatred, stupidity and malice is our greatest homegrown commodity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

maffew buildings posted:

The US is a nation full of people who if offered 100 an hour and their coworkers 120 or 15 an hour and their coworkers 10 would stop and seriously think about what deal to take. Hatred, stupidity and malice is our greatest homegrown commodity.

Supposedly* someone did a study to this effect and the results were about what you'd expect lol

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Supposedly* someone did a study to this effect and the results were about what you'd expect lol

I think it was something like "would you accept $5 if I gave your neighbour $10" and people said no because gently caress their neighbours, and I believe they did it by nationality as well, with Americans being the outliers.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've went into detail here and there all the poo poo I've been through, and what I go through with injuries and whatnot-

If you told me that everyone in America could have what I do now- a decent quality of life, stable sources of food/shelter, and loving healthcare- I would do it 2 or 3 times over again, because it's what our citizens deserve.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are tons of reciprocity studies in Sociology, and they typically turn out good in individuals, to the point where sociologist thought it was a universal norm among humans. Then they went out of the bubble of academia and saw that racism is a very real thing, and will turn things on their head really quick.

Also their minds were blown when the went down to Peru and tried it with some outlying indigenous peoples and it was a crap shoot on how they’d respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've went into detail here and there all the poo poo I've been through, and what I go through with injuries and whatnot-

If you told me that everyone in America could have what I do now- a decent quality of life, stable sources of food/shelter, and loving healthcare- I would do it 2 or 3 times over again, because it's what our citizens deserve.

These people think that everyone lives at at least a middle class level, and anyone who doesn’t is just lazy.

It’s a mindset completely disconnected from reality.