Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just for the record: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_Nine_Publishing

quote:

Plan Nine Publishing was a small press book publisher known for publishing webcomics in printed form. The first series published, and perhaps its most famous, was Kevin and Kell.

Founded 1996, defunct 2008 apparently; the list of stuff it published is a whole trip down the memory lane to the early 'aughts.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 2/11-13/43

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Hwurmp posted:

it means

s-e-x

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

As Hwurmp says, it means sex.

I assumed it was something like that, but wasn't sure if I was making it more risque than it actually was.

Anyway, here's the second comic Allison posted, also from 2018:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I really like Phoebe! Usually it’s a solid chuckle every time, but this one got a full snort.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I misread a word here.

Let's... just leave it at that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The_Other posted:

I assumed it was something like that, but wasn't sure if I was making it more risque than it actually was.

Anyway, here's the second comic Allison posted, also from 2018:

just add one word and it makes it really uh kinky for squares

"down"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jucika is too wholesome.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Sep 16, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 26-27, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gnoman posted:

The only really decent Mary Worth storyline was the one where her stalker died.

B Kliban

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Happy Mother's Day! Call your mom (or dad, or whoever, if you want to).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 28, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 28, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 28, 1989)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set prepares to commit cybercrime.

Working Daze certainly is how human beings talk.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is doing one of these again.

Cul De Sac has a heartfelt reunion.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

:stare: Wow.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

I wasn't a fan of Macanudo when I was posting it but I do love Liniers' art.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (August 8, 1992)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Run, Drew. loving run, real fast, and don't look back.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Ashlee, have you considered getting a dog? They can provide companionship.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You and me both, Mary.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mikl posted:

Yup, every alarm klaxon is blaring as red lights strobe frenetically

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This comic's dedication to complete and utter mundanity is really something!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gotta admit, while I like the various Allison comics, I do find it confusing to have multiple of them running in the thread simultaneously with the same characters. It's pretty hard for me to keep track of them.

Bad Machinery is easy to pick out since that's reruns of something I'm familiar with, but the 2-3 others just kind of bleed into eachother for me.
(How many are currently running? Bad Machinery + the one with the people working at a.. magazine? + the Lottie one? There was also a time travel one? Is the one where Shelley just got kidnapped a different one with Lottie? )

Moomin and the Golden Tail

Aka: Moomin notices his hair is starting to thin and has a midlife crisis.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

SubNat posted:

Gotta admit, while I like the various Allison comics, I do find it confusing to have multiple of them running in the thread simultaneously with the same characters. It's pretty hard for me to keep track of them.

Bad Machinery is easy to pick out since that's reruns of something I'm familiar with, but the 2-3 others just kind of bleed into eachother for me.
(How many are currently running? Bad Machinery + the one with the people working at a.. magazine? + the Lottie one? There was also a time travel one? Is the one where Shelley just got kidnapped a different one with Lottie? )

I'm posting Bobbins on the weekends, which is basically a modernised take on the original strip that started it all. I believe Allison initially planned for the OG Bobbins to be a newspaper strip. It's basically a slice of life looking at Shelley, Tim, Ryan & Amy.

Destroy History was the time travel one, which basically took place in the 3-year gap between Scary Go Round and the start of Bad Machinery. Circus Windows and Author Unknown? are set in the present of the Bobbinsverse. Lottie's investigating Shelley's disappearance because they've been friends since the Scary Go Round days.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

ukonvasara posted:

This comic's dedication to complete and utter mundanity Buck is really something!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (August 8, 1992)

After all the family drama and misery, this strip is a breath of fresh air. More like this, please, Mämmilä.

Mikl posted:

I'm already steeling myself for this to end with the two being together, and for Ashlee's awfulness to go completely unaddressed.

SubNat posted:

Are we back to Tove Jansson writing the comic? Either I'm bad at being able to tell who wrote it via the dialogue, or the other writer has been getting better at emulating Jansson's style.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SubNat posted:

... Hot strawberry juice?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (August 8, 1992)

The bastards, shutting down and ruining all the good scrapyards, replacing them with places you can't even take stuff home from.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

SubNat posted:

This is even funnier bc contextually Moomin is still a kid???

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

amigolupus posted:

After all the family drama and misery, this strip is a breath of fresh air. More like this, please, Mämmilä.

It's always worth remembering that Mämmilä was originally a biweekly comic in a current affairs magazine, and basically most things happening in it intentionally reflect the various trends and happenings in the Finnish society at the era. Ie. the various industrial turnovers reflect the 'structural change' of late 80s, the Punk Cave storyline reflected the popularity of punk rock and the housing preservation movement in late 70s, Mukku's arrival reflects the arrival of Somali refugees etc.

With that in mind, what we're already seeing, and going to be seeing increasingly from here on, is this period of Finnish history. It's not going to be getting lighter in a while.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Maybe I'm just extraordinarily dumb but I find all the Allison comics extremely hard to follow -- maybe if I read them all together as a block. :(

Scary Gary

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Dustin has a liberal arts degree. It's in English, not Spanish, sure, but I assure you. Dude has heard the phrase "que sera sera" before.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Are we back to Tove Jansson writing the comic? Either I'm bad at being able to tell who wrote it via the dialogue, or the other writer has been getting better at emulating Jansson's style.

Ye, this is the last written by Tove story, and was originally supposed to be the last one she drew as well. But things happened and she ended up staying around to draw a couple more stories before Lars took over drawing them as well.

Zereth posted:

... Hot strawberry juice?

I mean, hot strawberry juice is pretty delicious. Scandinavia has a couple warm and cool variants of red fruit soups either as their own thing, or as a sauce to oatmeal, rice-cream, ice cream, etc.

Juice in this context is kinda like a drink syrup? It was super common to preserve fruits and berries by condensing them down to a drink concentrate which you mix with water when drinking.
They're called 'saft' here in norway, which translates directly as juice, like in 'meat juices' for example. But is separate from 'fruit juice', which is rarely sold in concentrate form here.
I guess berry cordial might be the most applicable term, though I'm not familiar with it myself.

Hot berry juices like blackcurrant juice/toddy is delicious and pretty common as a drink when you've got a cold, or on a hiking trip etc. As a kid whenever I was sick I'd usually get handed a big mug of hot water mixed up with saft, as opposed to tea.
My grandma used to make a great one from currants and blackcurrants she'd harvest from her gardens.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm posting Bobbins on the weekends, which is basically a modernised take on the original strip that started it all. I believe Allison initially planned for the OG Bobbins to be a newspaper strip. It's basically a slice of life looking at Shelley, Tim, Ryan & Amy.

Destroy History was the time travel one, which basically took place in the 3-year gap between Scary Go Round and the start of Bad Machinery. Circus Windows and Author Unknown? are set in the present of the Bobbinsverse. Lottie's investigating Shelley's disappearance because they've been friends since the Scary Go Round days.

Alright, thanks for clearing it up a bit for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Dustin has a liberal arts degree. It's in English, not Spanish, sure, but I assure you. Dude has heard the phrase "que sera sera" before.
Excuse me I think you'll find a liberal arts degree is superfluous faff and forever marks you as a drain on society in every regard, and that you should instead be, say, a lawyer, or else a radio host.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

SubNat posted:

I mean, hot strawberry juice is pretty delicious. Scandinavia has a couple warm and cool variants of red fruit soups either as their own thing, or as a sauce to oatmeal, rice-cream, ice cream, etc.

Juice in this context is kinda like a drink syrup? It was super common to preserve fruits and berries by condensing them down to a drink concentrate which you mix with water when drinking.
They're called 'saft' here in norway, which translates directly as juice, like in 'meat juices' for example. But is separate from 'fruit juice', which is rarely sold in concentrate form here.
I guess berry cordial might be the most applicable term, though I'm not familiar with it myself.

Hot berry juices like blackcurrant juice/toddy is delicious and pretty common as a drink when you've got a cold, or on a hiking trip etc. As a kid whenever I was sick I'd usually get handed a big mug of hot water mixed up with saft, as opposed to tea.
My grandma used to make a great one from currants and blackcurrants she'd harvest from her gardens.

I think it's more commonly called squash in places like the UK, but it's not really something we do here in the US anymore (if we ever did, I'm not sure). Typically the only fruit you can get as a concentrate is orange and it's frozen in a can. Other fruit juices we can buy commercially are already ready to drink and the variety is usually grape, apple, grapefruit, or orange, or cranberry. Some of these might have other flavors mixed in.

Guess it comes down to marketing and what was profitable to do. Which is a long way to say yeah, strawberry juice sounds weird to this American, lol.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

SubNat posted:

Alright, thanks for clearing it up a bit for me.

A big part of the charm of John Allison's comics was that you could read all of his older work on his various websites and see his style change and the characters grow over the years. When new stuff came out, you were invested in all of the characters and knew all of the backstory and in-universe references.

Now, with most of his older stuff memory holed, paywalled, or hidden in out of print collections, I don't know how people are supposed to get into his stuff without threads like this filled with people willing to explain everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Excuse me I think you'll find a liberal arts degree is superfluous faff and forever marks you as a drain on society in every regard, and that you should instead be, say, a lawyer, or else a radio host.

But Dustin is still the mouthpiece for "saying a thing in Spanish bad, quoting a politician I agree with good!" I guess that's why he's allowed to live there. Or that whole being a human punching bag for Ed's bullying.