Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

no ones posted You Cant Do That On Television yet

once we finish reminiscing about LEXX thats it, thats all the good canadian content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

lmao defund the CBC forever and always

What would our failure of a provincial government do without Gunga Din here carrying all the water

we really, really died on the "kids can't get covid" hill

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Guigui posted:

Does anyone recall a show on TV Ontario - it had a boot, a woman's shoe, an elderly grandma puppet, and this monster-like puppet called "thing" (which used to give me horrible nightmares). It found a video on youtube long ago but lost the link. I want to see that monster puppet again. I think it was filmed in the 1970's and was on TV before Today's Special and Fables of the green forest. (Had the same kind of creepy vibe to it as "Read all about it).

Readalong?

Edit: Maybe this will bring back some traumatic memories for you.

https://youtu.be/WeJCAZ21kGQ

Also this is some creepy poo poo that would set off so many conspiracy loon parents today.

https://youtu.be/fnYQ8sdfpoc

Normy has issued a correction as of 15:55 on May 9, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Does stuff filmed in BC count as cancon cause if so the X-Files, Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica were rad.

Any sci-fi show that uses SFU as an alien planet is ok in my book.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

BGrifter posted:

Does stuff filmed in BC count as cancon cause if so the X-Files, Stargate SG-1 and Battlestar Galactica were rad.

Gotta be produced by a Canadian film company so Beachcombers is it.

edit: But actually I just watched a couple Odyssey episodes on YouTube and was surprised to (re?)discover it was filmed in BC.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

BGrifter posted:

I'm actually re-watching Stargate right now, and I love how the alien planets are one of the following:

Forest in BC
Quarry in BC
Set built in a warehouse in BC
Some old factory or military base in BC

They do occasionally go wild and film in some sand dunes, and I don't think there are any of those within a drive of Vancouver.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
The best dunes around are on the central coast of Oregon - their main claim to fame is having inspired the book Dune.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm actually re-watching Stargate right now, and I love how the alien planets are one of the following:

Forest in BC
Quarry in BC
Set built in a warehouse in BC
Some old factory or military base in BC

They do occasionally go wild and film in some sand dunes, and I don't think there are any of those within a drive of Vancouver.

My favorite is the planet that was the sulphur piles at Burrard Inlet in North Van.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Yeeee ha Manitoba is announcing school restrictions (?) At 1:30 today
On a Sunday
On mother's Day.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

BGrifter posted:

this was annoying when I was going to sfu. I remember they took over the whole school filming the keanu reeves day the earth stood still and kept running classes normally. I was trying to write a term paper in my room in residence and they were just hovering military helicopters around for a few hours. there was truly no limit on how disruptive a film shoot could be as long as the school was getting paid.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

The cargo bay in Battlestar Galactica was the car loading dock on the BC Ferries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cash crab posted:

we really, really died on the "kids can't get covid" hill

cash crab i am pleasantly surprised to see you here also you're right

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

The cargo bay in Battlestar Galactica was the car loading dock on the BC Ferries.

Haha, I never noticed that's a Five there with Adama

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Entorwellian posted:

The cargo bay in Battlestar Galactica

That's actually the Colonial One's cargo bay. :smug:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mister Speaker posted:

That's actually the Colonial One's cargo bay. :smug:

You shouldn't feel proud to know that fact.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

You shouldn't feel proud to know that fact.

gently caress you, the BSG reboot was a great show and nerds are sexy

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
BSG was awesome until the last half of the last season when the plot kinda went all sideways anime crack fantasy style.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
BSG was good and still worth a regular rewatch, just skip the bad episodes that get increasingly common as you go along

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Yeeee ha Manitoba is announcing school restrictions (?) At 1:30 today
On a Sunday
On mother's Day.

Summer vacation has been cancelled, we tried our best to avoid this but all of the lazy overpaid teachers are to blame.
- MB Conservatives probably

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Manitoba is 531 today! Wooo going for those all time high scores!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

ColdBlooded posted:

Summer vacation has been cancelled, we tried our best to avoid this but all of the lazy overpaid teachers are to blame.

It will get to the point they will execute the teachers saying they are the cause of covid. Plus added benefit of dumber kids-more conservative voters!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Manitoba is 531 today! Wooo going for those all time high scores!

it occurs to me that daily new covid case count updates have the exact same energy as olympic medal count updates

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BSG is good until the saga of fat lee ends

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Terror Sweat posted:

BSG is good until the saga of fat lee ends

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

BSG was awesome until the last half of the last season when the plot kinda went all sideways anime crack fantasy style.

no even that part is good

look, just accept it's not hard sci-fi and lean into starbuck being an angel who plays the piano with her dead father to find the musical coordinates to our earth

it's told well as long as you just don't get caught up on the idea it's got to be specifically a particular kind of show. 99% of the plot has answers, the only part that doesn't is answered by the Cult of David or whatever it's called.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ColdBlooded posted:

It's not kids being packed into confined unventilated spaces with rotating groups of dozens of their age peers daily that's sickening them and their parents, it's all the hanging out in small groups they do after school so we've made that illegal. You people need to start taking this thing seriously! :mad:

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It's not kids being packed into confined unventilated spaces with rotating groups of dozens of their age peers daily that's sickening them and their parents, it's all the hanging out in small groups they do after school so we've made that illegal. You people need to start taking this thing seriously! :mad:

Sounds like more CHURCH is in order

EDIT: So not too much shitposting by me: I have a friend who last year thought COVID was no big deal, then the goalposts moved to that this was a fear based thing by governments, then the goalposts moved to masks don't do anything, then the goalposts moved to the vaccines are horrible and poisonous and now...now he has a rifle and is getting it all sighted and perfect, practicing target shooting and survival poo poo because the government is going to be overthrown. I don't have the heart to tell him not only is that not going to happen, if it did he would be on the wrong side of history and strung up with the rest. I love having to keep an eye on him now for the day when I have to tip the RCMP that he's about to shoot peop--oh wait, he's white, that won't help.

CrcleSqreSanchz has issued a correction as of 20:08 on May 9, 2021

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
They say that BSG could have only existing in a post-911 world, which is true, because of the advances in computer graphics technology

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Sounds like more CHURCH is in order

EDIT: So not too much shitposting by me: I have a friend who last year thought COVID was no big deal, then the goalposts moved to that this was a fear based thing by governments, then the goalposts moved to masks don't do anything, then the goalposts moved to the vaccines are horrible and poisonous and now...now he has a rifle and is getting it all sighted and perfect, practicing target shooting and survival poo poo because the government is going to be overthrown. I don't have the heart to tell him not only is that not going to happen, if it did he would be on the wrong side of history and strung up with the rest. I love having to keep an eye on him now for the day when I have to tip the RCMP that he's about to shoot peop--oh wait, he's white, that won't help.

They canceled all the firearms classes, where'd he get his license during covid?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Varies by provincial restrictions and the CFO, there have been occasional firearm safety classes run depending on the stage of restrictions with limited class sizes. I know in Alberta there have been some limited CFSC classes done. I saw a photo of a CFSC class done during Covid, (normally about 20 people max I think per instructor in normal times) this one had I think 8 people all masked up.

Someone could have done the classes before Covid, and just recently got a license due to the backlog delay/slowdown at the CFO and Registrars office in issuing licenses.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Entorwellian posted:

That's hilarious.

I just realized I haven't been on a Ferry in a really long time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Could also be an illegal gun with no firearms licence.

I mean, if youre convinced youre gonna overthrow a tyrannical government with a rifle I doubt youre particularly concerned with getting all the paperwork right.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Oh he has had it for years. Used to do the "sport" where you run around with a pistol and shoot targets and poo poo.
He just let that hobby of rifle and gun ownership go away for a few years. Now it's back baby! He does jogs with his rifle and survival backpack to get used to it.
I wonder what happens in five years when nothing happens according to his timeframe...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Oh he has had it for years. Used to do the "sport" where you run around with a pistol and shoot targets and poo poo.
He just let that hobby of rifle and gun ownership go away for a few years. Now it's back baby! He does jogs with his rifle and survival backpack to get used to it.
I wonder what happens in five years when nothing happens according to his timeframe...

He'll move the timeframe.

Qanons didn't mind when The Day didn't come a dozen times, they just moved it and got more fanatical.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The loving isolationist gun nuts are always what get me about preppers.

If you want to survive an apocalypse be useful and chill. Create a network of mutual aid before poo poo goes down then leverage that network when poo poo goes down. Its like society/survival 101.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

apatheticman posted:

The loving isolationist gun nuts are always what get me about preppers.

If you want to survive an apocalypse be useful and chill. Create a network of mutual aid before poo poo goes down then leverage that network when poo poo goes down. Its like society/survival 101.

Its pretty funny. The hardcore right-wing preppers die in the first month because they broke their ankle and/or got an infection and/or diarrhea'd too hard. Meanwhile the "snowflakes" they hate would be building little communities and thriving. Just look at the aid stations that were set up during the bigger protests in the US.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I love it when zombie apocalypse shows have a survivalist Ive been training for this my whole life type who instantly gets torn to pieces by zombies while all the teachers and accountants survive.

its very satisfying entertainment.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

BGrifter posted:

I love it when zombie apocalypse shows have a survivalist Ive been training for this my whole life type who instantly gets torn to pieces by zombies while all the teachers and accountants survive.

its very satisfying entertainment.

I'm still waiting for the zombie movie where a bunch of renfaire nerds with armour and spears clear out entire cities and are instrumental to rebuilding.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've booked my appointment for getting the vaccine in Manitoba. Our system isn't as much of a chucklefuck of clusterfucks as it is in Ontario, right? I can go to my appointment and actually expect to get the shot?

End of May, but I can't complain, I'm at least getting a shot finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Congrats to everybody for getting their shots.

How have side effects been for those who had them already? For me, I had a fever and body aches and a bit of a headache for like 6 hours later in the day after I had the AZ vaccine.