Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well my 30 year old son and I are going to try No Man's Sky for Mother's day. Has anyone had any experience with their multiplayer (as in co op) mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Actual followup/review for Aven Colony. TLDR: there is nothing here, certainly not $30 of game.
Played through the second of the "campaign" missions, at which point all of the content is unlocked and I reasonably feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer... and what it has to offer isn't good. Resource balance is completely out of whack and there's no production caps besides "oops you filled your storage", population mechanics are poorly implemented and lack in terms of growth (spamming immigration hubs is the only way to even remotely keep up and takes a chunk of workers themselves, at one point I had close to 15% of the colony just working in those hubs). Only thing that ever threatened me remotely was the winter food growth impact, and only because I used normal farms heavily to deal with the whole "shortage of workers in every aspect". Even then I was never in danger. No interesting choices for research, trade never worthwhile outside of story requests (yes, the only thing I can trade is my limited and very important building material for pittances of food or luxury goods, how about my 30k food in storage?), not really any choices in general. And wow, the writing.
Gotta give it a hard pass.

On a much lighter note: if playing Anno, which one? 1800?

Yeah I got Aven for "free*" via Humble and...was still disappointed. It was, as you said, incredibly empty. Very pretty, I give their graphics designer(s) an A+, everything else was...at best a solid: "Meh".

As said for Annos:

If you play them at all play 1404/2070 first because there's so much QoL that going back to them unless you have nostalgia for them. They're kinda equivalent too: one's 15th century trading with/building up oriental cities, one's near future with building underwater factories (and slightly better UI) so if you play one, just grab the one who's theme appeals to you more.

2205 was definitely...an attempt. I enjoyed it but it plays way differently than any other Anno previously. It's sadly kinda soul-less (all the buildings look depressingly similar and there's very little cosmetic stuff so you end up with massive metropolisis...metropoli) of skyscrapers the exact same heights with very little actually good looking material to make parks out of. Basically a hefty "It's Good But..."

1800 is a return to the form of 1404/2070 but with a hefty doses of the mechanics from 2205 that were good implemented and further refined. 1800 is a game you can get utterly lost in several times over even before you start lumping on the DLCs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Another firm "meh" for Aven. It's the sort of game I should love, but after a while I realized I was bored and had been bored for hours. No personality. I don't care about the tiny people, and the 'city' is dull.\

If you could combine Aven, a finished game, with something like Spacebase DF9 which had loads of personality but was as shallow as a puddle, you could have a great game.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Well my 30 year old son and I are going to try No Man's Sky for Mother's day. Has anyone had any experience with their multiplayer (as in co op) mode?

I played it with a friend who really like No Man's Sky, but we didn't play it for long.

I liked the idea of procedurally generated content, but it was kind of weird that the seven unique lifeforms on that planet all happen to spawn within a KM of my random landing spot on every planet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Re: No Man’s - I haven’t played it in a very long time now but I always leave it installed because it’s a fantastic game when I hit that burnout of “I don’t want to play anything I have installed right now.” I can just pop in and kick back with a controller and have a chill time flying around scooping rocks or whatever.

What does bug me, and maybe some patches in the past year or two have at least helped this, is how much they keep random generation on rails. It’s not the only game to fall into this trap, either. Anytime we get procedural maps or things it feels like they chop off the ability for the generator to do anything outside the absolute center of a bell curve. Give me a planet that’s drat near impossible to land on because it’s just broken and craggy. Let it screw up and generate floating land masses that look weird. Let it generate weird ultra flat planets that have patches of hyper dense trees.

Everything in no man’s sky feels like more or less a few styles of height/terrain with a flavor biome that’s the same everytime just plopped on it and then a color filter for the sky. It’s fine but it could be so much cooler. All soap boxing aside, it’s not something that makes the game *bad,* it just could make the game so much *better* imo, and I think a lot of folks would probably hate it if procgen was truly off the rails.

I think you’ll have fun. I last “really” played it when coop was pretty new and there wasn’t the hub station for players, but it was still really fun to poke around your friends base and fly ships and stuff together. Maybe a bit simple at times but that simplicity is what keeps it installed for me, since I never feel overwhelmed jumping back in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

explosivo posted:

Workers and Resources is fantastic but still pretty
Anyone try out this new update for "Final Upgrade"? Been keeping an eye on this one for a while but I haven't heard much talk about it.

I tried it again the other night. It has some QoL stuff but it's still got the same basic design flaw as a lot of other sandbox type games. It desperately wants to be more than the sum of its parts, but it just has no solid idea of how to get there when the prime mover is always you. There are other games like X which don't completely eliminate this; you're always a special person in a large universe, but there's other forces at work which are, at the least, doing their own thing. With Final Upgrade, it's still just you doing you for a Very Long Time. There's a point where it makes more sense to NOT allow players to customize too deeply; aside from the tenancy to min max, there's no mechanical reason to not just make a giant Borg cube in every place.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

2205 was definitely...an attempt. I enjoyed it but it plays way differently than any other Anno previously. It's sadly kinda soul-less (all the buildings look depressingly similar and there's very little cosmetic stuff so you end up with massive metropolisis...metropoli) of skyscrapers the exact same heights with very little actually good looking material to make parks out of. Basically a hefty "It's Good But..."

I fuckin love the 2205 Anno. Closest this series came to being a chill idle incremental clicker. The 4 different zones all require extremely different galaxy brains to wrap around, but nothing is really threatened, it just makes number go up slower.

I went back in Stellaris for a bit. The 3.0 Dick update made game different, but same. Not as wildly different as 1.0 to 2.0, but like a refined rebalance of 2.0 with some mechanics bolted on and micro reduced (but never gone forever).

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

LeFishy posted:

editx4: I bought Mashinky and it seems kicking rad. It really is just a nice calm train set game (on the lower difficulties at least). Still very very interested in Workers & Resources though.

Mashinky was a good choice imo. WnR is great, and further along than Voxels, but I think it's still a bit rough so it's up to you whether you want to wait for a more finished product. I had fun with it but I'm gonna let it bake awhile before revisiting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

The 3.0 Dick update

The what now

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Volmarias posted:

The what now

probably named after philip k dick

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

KirbyKhan posted:

I fuckin love the 2205 Anno. Closest this series came to being a chill idle incremental clicker. The 4 different zones all require extremely different galaxy brains to wrap around, but nothing is really threatened, it just makes number go up slower.

I went back in Stellaris for a bit. The 3.0 Dick update made game different, but same. Not as wildly different as 1.0 to 2.0, but like a refined rebalance of 2.0 with some mechanics bolted on and micro reduced (but never gone forever).

Oh yeah Anno 2205 is an excellent "Number Go Up" game and the mechanics of the different zone types were always super awesome. It was just massively different feel to both its predecessors and successor. Also as you expand those 4 different types of zones becomes something like 20 actual zones to bounce between.

2205 is like having one of those browser city builder games as a AAA city builder title. 1800 is generally described as a "Plate Spinning Simulator" (though you can always turn off AIs if you want more chill).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Foo Diddley posted:

probably named after philip k dick

Yeah, the updates are all named after SF authors, I think the last one was Butler. Paradox have been very straight-faced about this one being Dick and that's made it way funnier to me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"The Philip K. Dick Update" is extremely different from "The Dick Update"...

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Volmarias posted:

"The Philip K. Dick Update" is extremely different from "The Dick Update"...
We aren't the ones that named it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

We aren't the ones that named it.

I know. It's not your fault. It's still not good.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Volmarias posted:

I know. It's not your fault. It's still good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's nothing wrong with Dick. The number 1 issue with Dick is that the population growth comes too slow, testing out the 3.0.3 experimental hotfox sometime soon.

Also loaded up KOTOR 2 which is not a management game but the inventory management in it is shockingly similar to Cyberpunk.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

There's nothing wrong with Dick. The number 1 issue with Dick is that the population growth comes too slow, testing out the 3.0.3 experimental hotfox sometime soon.

Also loaded up KOTOR 2 which is not a management game but the inventory management in it is shockingly similar to Cyberpunk.

To be clear, the number one issue with Dick is that it doesn't grow large quickly enough?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Volmarias posted:

To be clear, the number one issue with Dick is that it doesn't grow large quickly enough?

Yes

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

No idea how well known this game is but just wanted to give a shout out to Wilmot's Warehouse as a super cute little puzzle/management game.

Sort boxes with pictures ranging from clearly an elephant to random abstract shapes, based on categories that you'll invent on the fly, into freeform warehouse shapes (optimising for quick access) that will probably go through several evolutions before you finish it up. Kept me very content for a good few days.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chadzok posted:

No idea how well known this game is but just wanted to give a shout out to Wilmot's Warehouse as a super cute little puzzle/management game.

Sort boxes with pictures ranging from clearly an elephant to random abstract shapes, based on categories that you'll invent on the fly, into freeform warehouse shapes (optimising for quick access) that will probably go through several evolutions before you finish it up. Kept me very content for a good few days.

Hearty agreement from me. It's lovely. It seems like maybe it would get stressful but it somehow doesn't, it's just very nice. And every few rounds you get a round with no time limit to re-organise your poo poo and get exasperated with yourself for ever putting rainbows with 'multicoloured things' when clearly they should be with 'weather phenomena' which is next to, but not the same as, 'winter stuff'.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
I'm looking for recommendations for a football manager game.

On a scale where Super casual mobile game is 1, and Football Manager is 10, I'm looking for a 6 or 7 in terms of complexity.

My favourite so far is USM2

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone tried out Nebuchadnezzar? I heard the first big patch actually did wonders for it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

iSurrender posted:

On a scale where Super casual mobile game is 1, and Football Manager is 10, I'm looking for a 6 or 7 in terms of complexity.

There's not much out there that's decent, honestly. FM Touch might be your best bet - or just delegating away some of the elements in the full FM. All the other football manager games seem to have mixed to negative reviews. There's Football, Tactics & Glory, which people seem to like, but I found unbearably grindy - and it's more of a tactics game with very little management.

If you're ok with an online game, Derby Manager is the best I've found, and I would say it hits the sweet spot complexity wise.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Anyone able to turn a profit in Farming Manager Simulator 2021?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grevlek posted:

Colonel "Colonel Sanders" Failure seems to be doing ok with his chicken empire on YouTube so far

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

iSurrender posted:

Football, Tactics and Glory perhaps?

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Azhais posted:

Colonel "Colonel Sanders" Failure seems to be doing ok with his chicken empire on YouTube so far

idk so far this game feels like propaganda from the American Grower's Association

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Grevlek posted:

Presumably Cleversan software.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://freebies.indiegala.com/airport-madness-world-edition

Airport Madness being given away by Indie Gala

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I got Aven for "free*" via Humble and...was still disappointed. It was, as you said, incredibly empty. Very pretty, I give their graphics designer(s) an A+, everything else was...at best a solid: "Meh".

As said for Annos:

If you play them at all play 1404/2070 first because there's so much QoL that going back to them unless you have nostalgia for them. They're kinda equivalent too: one's 15th century trading with/building up oriental cities, one's near future with building underwater factories (and slightly better UI) so if you play one, just grab the one who's theme appeals to you more.

1800 is a return to the form of 1404/2070 but with a hefty doses of the mechanics from 2205 that were good implemented and further refined. 1800 is a game you can get utterly lost in several times over even before you start lumping on the DLCs.

Anno 1602 is also on GOG, and honestly I love it uniquely as well. I think a lot of games kind of lost something between the AoE2 era and War3 era - not that modern games are bad, and I've played every entry in the Anno series to death, but I still fire up 1602 occasionally just to make a nice little map

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Okay, I put about 10 hours or so into Farm Manager 2021. 6.5~7 out of 10.

It's got all of the things you want in a simulation, but none of the polish. My problem trying to keep my farm afloat, was because I was trying to only harvest crops. You absolutely have to implement some sort of industrial chain in order to make it past your first year. You will want to have some sort of animal ranch, and then buy the food for them at first. The difference in yield between 1 of 5 food stuffs, and 2 or more food stuffs is great, so try and provide at least 3 of the 5 food types to the animals.

Starting a sandbox, I would pick 1 animal to specialize in, and the cow is the easiest one to start. You can hit all 5 of it's food requirements using 4 fields, although I would hold off on oats since you have to have a combine to harvest it, the other 3 fields you can harvest using only a tractor.

This game suffers from something that is a big *annui inducing issue* of mine in these games, you get to a 'steady state condition' and mash speed up until something happens. There were very few interesting choices for me while my fields were planting, other than selling my animal products. Without my animal chain I wouldn't have clicked on anything for minutes at a time, and I guess I would have gone bankrupt too. While it provided the only interaction I had with the game, it would have been better served with an auto-sell feature.

*edit - apparently there is an auto-buy/sell. it was not mentioned in the tutorial. this does not change my overall opinion of the game

It's not quite the farm RTS/Grand Strategy/Management game I had hoped for. I will probably give it another go if there are updates in a year or so, but it isn't an Early Access game so this is probably all that were gonna get out of this game.

Grevlek fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 11, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There is an autosell feature. The trade tab on the window where you buy and sell. You can use it to auto buy animal feed and stuff too.

Also if the economy is similar to the first game crops is a trap option. Berries, fruit and animal products is where it's at.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 11, 2021

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

This game is coming out in a few days and looks pretty cool:

Before We Leave is a non-violent city building game set in a cozy corner of the universe. Nurture your Peeps and their surroundings while rebuilding and rediscovering civilisation. Settle new lands and planets while avoiding hungry Space Whales.
"Rediscover what was lost and nurture your reborn civilisation in Before We Leave, a non-violent city building game set in a cozy corner of the universe. Grow, gather and manage resources to help your settlements thrive, and share goods between the hexagonal lands and planets around you. Relax and expand the fabric of your growing societies and create a solar system of happy planets at your own pace. Not everything will go your way, though - use your wits and research solutions to overcome the challenges that your ancestors once faced."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073910/Before_We_Leave/

Anyone heard anything about it?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Stormgale posted:

This game is coming out in a few days and looks pretty cool:

Before We Leave is a non-violent city building game set in a cozy corner of the universe. Nurture your Peeps and their surroundings while rebuilding and rediscovering civilisation. Settle new lands and planets while avoiding hungry Space Whales.
"Rediscover what was lost and nurture your reborn civilisation in Before We Leave, a non-violent city building game set in a cozy corner of the universe. Grow, gather and manage resources to help your settlements thrive, and share goods between the hexagonal lands and planets around you. Relax and expand the fabric of your growing societies and create a solar system of happy planets at your own pace. Not everything will go your way, though - use your wits and research solutions to overcome the challenges that your ancestors once faced."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073910/Before_We_Leave/

It's been out on the Epic Store for a while now. It's a plate-spinner like the Anno series games, matched with some tile matching in placement.

You have different islands with different resources, and you have to set up different production chains on those islands and establish logistics to share goods. The map is made of hexagons, and most tiles you place can have bonuses or maluses depending upon where you place them and what they're adjacent to (for example, lumberjacks are okay next to one forest, but get a bonus to internal storage if next to three forests).

The problem is, it's a little closer to the original Anno games in terms of how much information it gives you on what you're doing - i.e., not a lot. Are you making enough food? Stare at the overall food indicator and see if it's generally ticking up or generally ticking down and make your best guess! In addition, most of the things you have to build up are industries which add misery and pollution to the planet, so there was an overall sense to me that everything I was doing was just making things worse for everyone, which is not exactly an enticement to keep playing. I never got into space - I found trying to manage three islands too much of a chore and too depressing.

I may try it again and see if it's any better these days. I know they added in some patches to make some of the logistics faster and easier to deal with.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

iSurrender posted:

Seconding football tactics & glory if you also like turn based tactics. It's a really good game, but difficult to recommend because it's an unique combination of genres.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is "no place like home" on steam?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is "no place like home" on steam?

Currently, it feels like a jankier, grinder version of My Time at Portia. I spent around an hour disassembling junk heaps and planting some potatoes, and then turned it off.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Stormgale posted:

Before We Leave
Inoffensive but just lacks something. As skeleton warrior said you just have to kind of guess at the numbers but lacks a certain complexity that'd make solving the production lines rewarding. After awhile you get tired of managing islands to ferry things around to get 1% closer to your goals and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was thinking recently, how is dwarf fortress doing? I played it probably a decade ago, did it disappear under a pile of feature bloat and bad UI, did it get any better? Is this a good time to take another look at it? So many games are compared to it but no one talks about the game itself.