Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One random comment about reputation as well: there's no benefit for having an exceptionally high reputation, so you should consider it as a resource to be spent. If a part of town particularly likes you, feel free to see that as license to loot a few homes or harvest some organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think having time pass in managing your stash is in service of keeping the tension high. the game is about having an overwhelming amount of things you need to do and not enough time. managing your stash is one of those things. it incentivizes you to take care of your stash efficiently just like you need to plan your route efficiently. throwing stuff into there haphazardly instead of storing things according to a plan is faster when storing stuff but you pay a debt when you need to see if you have any springs or whatever

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Verviticus posted:

well then explain why time doesnt pass when youre trying to figure out the optimal way to fleece children out of their medicine

time actually does pass when you're in the barter screen (but not in dialog)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 3, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Shear Modulus posted:

time actually does pass when you're in the barter screen (but not in dialog)

i was sure this was untrue, so i checked and it does not pass in the barter screen

Arrhythmia posted:

Man waits for no time?

yah

Shear Modulus posted:

i think having time pass in managing your stash is in service of keeping the tension high. the game is about having an overwhelming amount of things you need to do and not enough time. managing your stash is one of those things. it incentivizes you to take care of your stash efficiently just like you need to plan your route efficiently. throwing stuff into there haphazardly instead of storing things according to a plan is faster when storing stuff but you pay a debt when you need to see if you have any springs or whatever

then the inventory system should be designed for even a tiny bit of expediency but it really isnt. im not saying looting a corpse should be time-free, just the singular stash in the hideout

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't mind time passing in stash exactly, but it did mean I would sort my inventory very deliberately with everything I wanted to stash in the upper left part, then if I had a bunch of stuff to move I'd even swap to mouse and keyboard just to unload.

There are a few non-children's stashes and I'd be curious to see a map of 'em. Do they refresh every day too? Or do they fill up over time or something? There's one beside the house across from the clothing shop near Lara's for instance. All the ones I found we cabinets beside houses and tucked away in corners.

I got a twirine map marker on the organ buyer's house in both playthroughs that never cleared. Is there a stash there too, or was the game just telling me it was a point of interest in case I missed the conversation earlier?

Another trading tip: The girl in Notkin's place has a great deal on fingernails, she sells them for 2 and they're 6 everywhere else. I bought her out every day because fingernails aren't just fast travel currency: they're coffee currency too.

My first playthrough here I ended as I'd guess most do, with (end spoilers from here) horrible failure just about everywhere especially after the plague cheats. I only had 3 cures so I went for Capella, Khan and Grace. First two because they seemed like the important core for any sort of rebirth of the town, Grace to deal with the giant pile of corpses left over from basically everyone else dying. There were other survivors due to good rolls but basically all the adults died and I was vaguely happy anyone made it through at all.

My SECOND playthrough I went in armed with metagame knowledge and hosed the drat plague up. Every single in-game moment was spent sprinting between trash cans and townspeople to trade garbage up and I was sitting pretty by day 7 with like 15K money and piles of resources. Lost Bad Grief early because I was worried about my schmowder supply, but I had two on me at the time and risked the roll -- he died on his first infected night with a like 1/10 chance. Still feel bad about that, but I have no one to blame but my own selfish self.

By the time day 10 rolled around I was still doing great. 5 Panaceas and 7 Schmowders meant I could blaze around town curing just about everyone, but I still didn't plan totally right for the way the kid economy just goes away so by late in the day I was quite low on food and HP and a lot of my clothing was busted. Aglaya calls you in towards the end of the day and at that point I had done everything I could cure wise (the elder Kains were still infected but oh well) so I thought... well, gently caress it! Yeah, let's skip town. I did what I could, the orders will go through to bust up the 'hedron. Let's gently caress right off.

I don't know why I thought there was a chance of a happy ending here, but her fate was still shocking. Then to cap it off since I was completely exhausted with no lemons or coffee I had to walk alllll the way back to town watching the last few pixels of HP vanish moment by moment. Tried to walk a straight line. Didn't even detour for herbs along the riverbank. Moment by moment, life slipping away.

I died of exhaustion at the bottom of the hideout stairs. Then up comes smug director rear end in a top hat and I just stared at him for a while then quit out.

I could reload and re-do the last day to get all the end conversations with the people that I managed to save this time, but know what? I'm not gonna do it. I tried to escape my fate and I died like I deserved. :xcom: but Pathologic 2.

man do I hope they can get the other two runs finished.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 3, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
another cool trick later in the game is if you can get aggro from someone you can sprint somewhere and block to get your stamina up faster than if you had to wait normally

edit: that twyrine marker might be for the npc that gets “evicted” later?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

anyone catch that sticky turns the tumblr toy to face away from him in the hideout after he mentions seeing one of those creatures? can't remember if that was explicitly pointed out or not, cool bit of Lore tho.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Verviticus posted:

Hot tips and tricks

Thanks Verviticus and everyone else! I don't think I've broken the game like you but I'm definitely in a much better position. Have done better with my second playthrough but still run into obstacles and challenges which is satisfying. I was pulling in so many chisels from bins that I decided to sell or barter my entire stock at one point knowing I'd collect more soon enough, big mistake. I think I overdid it on hoarding immunity boosters early on and should have spent some of those resources on other things. Have run into a few unfortunate circumstances where the game just suddenly crashes and I haven't saved in a few in-game hours. I hosed up the Stakh questline somehow and failed to see it through last run, I think I chose the wrong options speaking to Bad Grief or spoke to him in the wrong location, I recall getting him to mention Stakh being a neighbour and I believe the marker appeared for one night but was gone afterward, thought I had time since wasn't scheduled to die for at least a couple more days...

Has anyone given the Marble's Nest DLC a go? I don't think I will mostly because I'll just be frustrated that I only get a sliver of the Bachelor's story. Might be tempted if I think the additional support will ensure a full Bachelor and/or Changeling story...

I'd be interested in attempts to amp the difficulty up and think some of Verv's suggestions are good. I'd be curious to see if a no sleep run is possible.

Some random questions and thoughts:
- Does reputation get affected based on the # of organs I remove in an autopsy or just the autopsy overall? For example if I'm trying to maintain a certain level of durability on my instrument I may remove an organ or two then check it, wondering if going back in for more organs is a greater rep hit.
- In terms of optimal stamina use is it best to get it to the point where the stamina wording turns red then let it fill up to full assuming you'll use it up before your next standing interaction? My current approach is roughly this and then hydrate when thirst gets a 1/4 full
- I think I've probably been too tentative about robbing houses and touching things in infected districts
- Are you able to pull bad guys to different areas and if so will the reputation affect the original area or one where they die? I'm curious about this in particular with respect to areas that don't have rep like the warehouses where I was able to slaughter and harvest Barely's gang without consequence

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Marble Nest is good. It's more of a side story vignette than a real part of the bachelor story. I don't think the eventual bachelor story will look a lot like it when/if it comes out.

I don't think kiting enemies to other districts will work well since you'd have to go through a militia checkpoint and they'd engage them

Robbing houses in infected districts is good for loot if you have time. You need to watch out for plague clouds and you need gloves to not get a bunch of immunity loss when you open containers. i liked looting houses in burned districts more since you don't have to worry about plague. i think the loot in containers is worse but you can find hostile robbers in burned houses and kill them and take their stuff too

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

no sleep run is trivial/actually easier but you need to sleep to dream so if you allow yourself 15 mins a night then yeah. as it is the time you spend sleeping actually has greater resource value than the beans you need to eat to reduce exhaustion by the same amount

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Marble Nest is good. It's more of a side story vignette than a real part of the bachelor story. I don't think the eventual bachelor story will look a lot like it when/if it comes out.

I don't think kiting enemies to other districts will work well since you'd have to go through a militia checkpoint and they'd engage them

Robbing houses in infected districts is good for loot if you have time. You need to watch out for plague clouds and you need gloves to not get a bunch of immunity loss when you open containers. i liked looting houses in burned districts more since you don't have to worry about plague. i think the loot in containers is worse but you can find hostile robbers in burned houses and kill them and take their stuff too

you can actually avoid most of the damage by only looting containers that are not themselves infected. the infected ones have lesions on them but the uninfected ones do not hurt you at all

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Local man chews coffee beans and sucks on lemons for 12 days straight, saves absolutely everyone

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd be great if the bachelor has to actually brew coffee instead of just slamming a fistful of beans and washing it down with organ juice

Haruspex life is pretty hosed up

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/peachy_dani/status/1358491080652693512

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I finished my second run through Pathologic 2. I died once, saved everyone except Big Vlad and Stakh, decided to blow up the Polyhedron. I'm curious what the other endings are and how failing to save a character affects things but don't think I have the patience to go back and run through them. I am curious about how things went if I was able to keep Stakh alive longer. Are there any other big threads that are worth looking at?

Can't recommend the game enough even with the inopportune crashing to desktop. I didn't notice the same performance issue with stuttering my second go around which is strange. It definitely is in my top 5 and might even compete with Disco Elysium, though I think the final cut will likely set it apart.

Levin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 9, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

theodor bastard are really good, listen to them

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Corte posted:

So I finished my second run through Pathologic 2. I died once, saved everyone except Big Vlad and Stakh, decided to blow up the Polyhedron. I'm curious what the other endings are and how failing to save character affects things but don't think I have the patience to go back and run through them. I am curious about how things went if I was able to keep Stakh alive longer. Are there any other big threads that are worth looking at?

Can't recommend the game enough even with the inopportune crashing to desktop. I didn't notice the same performance issue with stuttering my second go around which is strange. It definitely is in my top 5 and might even compete with Disco Elysium, though I think the final cut will likely set it apart.

Rubin doesn't give many more events depending on when he died, other than talking him out of leaving with the army in one of the final days. That said, if you keep Rubin, Grief and Lara alive you get an achievement and they talk about how life is going to be now that the old gang has been reunited.

And yeah, Theodor Bastard owns. Also learned about them from this game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I bought Pathologic 2 for a friend of mine that's a veteran of Souls games and horror games. He's no stranger to adversity in video games, but the experience of day 1 still bowled him over despite me coaching him about the uniquely oppressive atmosphere and gameplay he was going to experience. He was stunned at how anxious and tense he was even though few conventionally "scary" things had happened. Between the town's strange layout, the alien local cultures, and the unforgiving mechanics of survival, he was constantly out of his comfort zone. He'll need time to digest what he experienced and return to Pathologic 2 later, but he was intrigued by what happened. We both agreed it might not be something he can finish. Still, it will definitely be worth his time to experience more of it.

Pathologic really is special. I am normally not drawn to games like this, but there's precious few video games that can create and maintain these kinds of feelings without it being a pointless exercise in poor game design or nonconstructive sadism.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I played through the Bachelor and Haruspex in Pathologic last year and I really need to find time to replay Two again. Feel like I messed up so much stuff on my first attempt.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mizuti posted:

I bought Pathologic 2 for a friend of mine that's a veteran of Souls games and horror games. He's no stranger to adversity in video games, but the experience of day 1 still bowled him over despite me coaching him about the uniquely oppressive atmosphere and gameplay he was going to experience. He was stunned at how anxious and tense he was even though few conventionally "scary" things had happened. Between the town's strange layout, the alien local cultures, and the unforgiving mechanics of survival, he was constantly out of his comfort zone. He'll need time to digest what he experienced and return to Pathologic 2 later, but he was intrigued by what happened. We both agreed it might not be something he can finish. Still, it will definitely be worth his time to experience more of it.

Pathologic really is special. I am normally not drawn to games like this, but there's precious few video games that can create and maintain these kinds of feelings without it being a pointless exercise in poor game design or nonconstructive sadism.
I don't know what it says about me, someone who collapses in tears at the slightest adversity or obstacle in real life, that I just become immediately determined to break games like this. I immediately suspected that Pathologic's difficulty was more in mindset/smoke and mirrors than any serious mechanical challenge so I started running around YOLOing it and beating the poo poo out of people to great success, similar to how in This War of Mine I gambled on how alcohol production seemed really profitable, double downed on it and by the end of the game I was operating a moonshine shack and all of my dudes lived in comfort and luxury

This is not at all to say that I'm super good at video games, just that something about the oppressive, struggle-to-get-by atmosphere makes my brain go into overtime trying to work out how to undermine it lol

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
That's one of factors that makes Pathologic so remarkable. There are video-gamey systems under the surface that can be unearthed and exploited. But between the obfuscation of mechanics, implied and real penalties for failure, and limited time, players are strongly discouraged from pulling at the threads and making the immersion unravel.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

day 1 in p2 is uh, maybe a little hostile, but really isnt that tense yet. all of the mechanisms that create it arent really firing yet

Mizuti posted:

I bought Pathologic 2 for a friend of mine that's a veteran of Souls games and horror games. He's no stranger to adversity in video games, but the experience of day 1 still bowled him over despite me coaching him about the uniquely oppressive atmosphere and gameplay he was going to experience.

i feel like you might have done him a disservice here

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mizuti posted:

That's one of factors that makes Pathologic so remarkable. There are video-gamey systems under the surface that can be unearthed and exploited. But between the obfuscation of mechanics, implied and real penalties for failure, and limited time, players are strongly discouraged from pulling at the threads and making the immersion unravel.
It's funny because I generally avoid pulling those threads in games unless it becomes very clear that the game doesn't want me to, then my contrarian side kicks in

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I was surprised at how much he was affected by day 1 gameplay, which is before most of the challenge and spooky stuff begins. We discovered he is made deeply uncomfortable by the Tragedians, which is doing some of the heavy lifting on making the game oppressive :ssh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mizuti posted:

I was surprised at how much he was affected by day 1 gameplay, which is before most of the challenge and spooky stuff begins. We discovered he is made deeply uncomfortable by the Tragedians, which is doing some of the heavy lifting on making the game oppressive :ssh:

He's not going to like Day 3 lol

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the tragedians are just there to be your friend and help out!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i mean the executors are terrifying throughout but the tragedians are pretty spooky in the opening dream sequence

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
At least Tragedians don't move from the spot in this game. I'm curious, what prompted them to do that weird walk cycle in Pathologic 1? I've seen some footage of it but never got the context.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mizuti posted:

At least Tragedians don't move from the spot in this game. I'm curious, what prompted them to do that weird walk cycle in Pathologic 1? I've seen some footage of it but never got the context.

You're leading him out of an infected district in exchange for a key.

Yes that is the entire context. No it doesn't make any sense but to unnerve the player.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

in one of the comments on this video, the Ice Pick Lodge account says we will be getting some new info on the next campaign later this year. probably won't see that until 2022 still but hey, news sounds good as heck. gimme some news. let me obsess about some news for 18 months until there's more Pathologic 2 to play.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*looks outside* On second thought, I've had enough pathologic 2.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

any tips for a new player for the first few days. I'm assuming I should basically be swindling every child I can as fast as possible?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

any tips for a new player for the first few days. I'm assuming I should basically be swindling every child I can as fast as possible?

A surprising amount of very good advice is given in the load screen tips. "Even absurd garbage is useful to someone", "nuts can be eaten but shouldn't".

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah. Kids love nuts and nuts are compareably cheap. Also there is a sneak button the game doesn't tell you about.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

whats the best food source? straight from the grocer?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would say trading with townspeople is the best, the stores can help in a pinch but aren't really sustainable as the main source over the course of the game. Steppe folk tend to have much more food than the other types if memory serves

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imo it's good to buy food when you can but it's of course common to be short on cash whereas trading with townspeople is always economical. Also it's important to figure out which food items are the best value for how much they cost and the inventory space they take up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I've been avoiding killing anyone, is there any actual benefit to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If they're a mugger they have good loot and the town will think better of you. If they're just a schlub, no.