Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Zil posted:

Green dad, best dad.

From now on, I proclaim today to be Green Day.

Edit gently caress: this snype is is bad and I feel bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The only tipping I like is the tips I leave the doctor at my weekly circumcision

Wolverine is Canadian.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Byzantine posted:

Wolverine is Canadian.

Sadly the ssme tipping bullshit happens in Canada too

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

"This is a perfectly legal thrill. Trust me."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Stexils posted:

if there was a peloton treadmill big enough to hold an f35 which of them would kill the pilot first?

The static charge generated by wheel on treadmill belt would ignite the leaking fuel, so the answer is 'both'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'll see you that and raise you

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dabir posted:

I'll see you that and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569EQ_uvwlY

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

rydiafan posted:

As with The Boys, the worst of the comic poo poo gets filtered out in the show.

Holy poo poo I got the first TPB of that bc it looked cool and yiiikes yeah thanks but no thanks

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Uh, the show is already extremely hosed up, how is the comic that much worse?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Son of Rodney posted:

Uh, the show is already extremely hosed up, how is the comic that much worse?
Garth Ennis' entire career is built on the back of him doing edgelord stuff-- trust me no matter how bad you think the adaptations are he's done a lot worse on the printed page. Preacher, Hitman, Punisher, The Boys, Crossed.

He's actually solid at storytelling and concept, which is why his stuff endures and gets picked for adaptation, but he always made his bones on shock value. Like every artist who goes for shock value for every "oh that's hosed up but I get it" there's a dozen "I get it but that's hosed up."

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man Preacher was turbodumb. Still bought the entire run tho lmao.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

aphid_licker posted:

Man Preacher was turbodumb. Still bought the entire run tho lmao.
I blame Alan Moore.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Garth Ennis knows how to make.characters with reasonable depth and pathos

Then shits on it with south park level grotesquery

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reading Preacher at an inopportune time of your life, like the mid-90s when you're in college and will do anything to avoid homework, and letting it influence you into a minor career in indie comics, will set you on a path to ruin

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mind the walrus posted:

Garth Ennis' entire career is built on the back of him doing edgelord stuff-- trust me no matter how bad you think the adaptations are he's done a lot worse on the printed page. Preacher, Hitman, Punisher, The Boys, Crossed.

He's actually solid at storytelling and concept, which is why his stuff endures and gets picked for adaptation, but he always made his bones on shock value. Like every artist who goes for shock value for every "oh that's hosed up but I get it" there's a dozen "I get it but that's hosed up."
Did he put a guy who butt-fucks for justice (without consent) in The Boys, or did he stop doing that after Preacher and, uh, Hitman?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nessus posted:

Did he put a guy who butt-fucks for justice (without consent) in The Boys, or did he stop doing that after Preacher and, uh, Hitman?

The team's super powered English bulldog fills that role in The Boys.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

I'm honestly more familiar with everything he did except The Boys, but I do recall he had some Santa Claus hero with an 18-inch dick.

But uh no, he didn't stop doing that sort of thing. Crossed is the "Oops all Edgelord" variant of his work. It's about a world where zombies take over, but the virus doesn't make you crave flesh it makes you one of the Reavers from Firefly. Literally the very first issue features a two-page graphic spread of (content warning: EXTREME sexual violence) :nms: three people graphically and explicitly on-panel being simultaneously anal-raped and disemboweled/flayed; one of them is an infant. :nms:

The weirdest part is that he really is just barely good enough at story construction that if you can stomach it, the story actually isn't the worst zombie fiction I've ever read. I'd certainly read it again over World War Z.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Crossed has a weird history where it all was a bet. Ennis and Warren Ellis got stuck in a hotel after a con when the storm got too bad for the ferry to sail so they stayed up all night drinking and bullshitting. They made a contest to see who could write the more hosed up zombie story. Ennis won since he went straight to the hosed up scenarios while Ellis went more for a structured story. Crossed end up being super successful too while Black Gas was just a wet fart.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

The weirdest part is that he really is just barely good enough at story construction that if you can stomach it, the story actually isn't the worst zombie fiction I've ever read. I'd certainly read it again over World War Z.

this is possibly the lowest bar ever

the vast majority of zombie stories are written by people who seem to just kind of hate humanity in general. like they think that the instant central authority collapses everyone will turn into a petty little self centered rear end in a top hat. even within the ultimate libertarian fantasy libertarian societies immediately fall apart

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crossed is honestly the rare exception where I feel that misanthropic fantasy works, because the Zombies don't degrade beyond whatever mutilations they do to themselves, and they don't need other flesh to survive. They're all just The Joker with a limited vocabulary. The infection is also droplet-based, so it spreads insanely fast and pretty much any zombie in a position to wreak havoc with infrastructure does so immediately.

Like yeah society still wouldn't fall apart as fast as it depicts because people are crafty and understand how to preserve systems pretty instinctively when you get right down to it, but for all the Edgelord faults I'll honestly stand by and say that Crossed sells its premise a lot better than it has any right to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That's something I really hate about modern comics. How goddamned Edgy the Joker has become. Like culminating in whatever bullshit Leto was pulling.

Like I get it he's a serial killer and yeah chaotic but gently caress me, it's just like a he's an over-the-top torture-murder tornado.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“French vanilla” isn’t just a fancy kind of vanilla. The difference is that it contains eggs.

Who wants eggs in their candle? Stefan Molyneaux?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bunnyofdoom posted:

That's something I really hate about modern comics. How goddamned Edgy the Joker has become. Like culminating in whatever bullshit Leto was pulling.

Like I get it he's a serial killer and yeah chaotic but gently caress me, it's just like a he's an over-the-top torture-murder tornado.

That was always there in the background though, at least since the introduction of Harley Quinn. It isn't like he met some crazy lady in asylum and they fell in love.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Any story concept or setting Ennis comes up with should immediately be wrestled away from him to stop him loving it up with juvenile poo poo.

Also Joker and Harley Quinn are both way, way overdone at the moment.

:comicbookopinions:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

That was always there in the background though, at least since the introduction of Harley Quinn. It isn't like he met some crazy lady in asylum and they fell in love.

I mean last I heard he didn't fuckin' murder-torture-rape-weliveinasociety her into loving him

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

Dabir posted:

I mean last I heard he didn't fuckin' murder-torture-rape-weliveinasociety her into loving him

iirc she was his psychiatrist

which means she's a medical doctor and everything

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

pseudorandom posted:

From now on, I proclaim today to be Green Day.

Edit gently caress: this snype is is bad and I feel bad

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

spookykid posted:

Amazon Prime, and it's more on the level of almost a visual novel in animation quality, but is completely redeemed by the voice acting and them cutting out the worst of Kirkman's weirdness.

Skybound farmed the action scnese work out to Japanese and Korean animation studios and it really shows. I was super shocked when the first big... scene that I don't want to spoil kicked off, because up until then it was extremely unimpressive.

The show overall takes a while to pick up, but the grody superhero street brawls are pretty solid, from the end of the first episode on.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

This is the Midwest content that I am here for.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

drat now I cant wait for the state fair

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you'll do this until the one time you hit a paint chip just right and it lodges itself an eighth of an inch deep under your fingernail.

"first ever" eh

oh honey

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

BonHair posted:

Why is she holding a pregnancy test?

MISTAKES
INTO
MIRACLES

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This reminds me of this radio ad for the Australian Navy, which went like

"If you can tell the difference between this: *sonar ping noise*, and this: *identical sonar ping noise*, we want to hire you".

Needless to say, I did not join the Navy.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hodgepodge posted:

iirc she was his psychiatrist

which means she's a medical doctor and everything

One of the better bits I saw in the (generally rather decent) DC animated movies was Joker making a crack about "Nurse Harley" and her going all gently caress you I didn't go to medical school to be called that. And it was even one of the ones where they were still a couple.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Charge your phone.