Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, it's this. There are ways for the feds to back out of a conditional offer, but they're highly constrained. "Disagree with their politics" doesn't work, and coming up with a pretext (especially in the context of a position like an immigration judge) is also not going to work.

It's a conditional offer. Why on earth is "we are not the same regime" not considered a fair reason? Especially when it is obvious that there are no required reasons that these people are better than any others who might be considered?

Alongside that I do have to look back at the whole "the ends never justify the means" and have to wonder if people think about things ending at all? If the means themselves justify themselves then nothing needs changing ever.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

It's a conditional offer. Why on earth is "we are not the same regime" not considered a fair reason? Especially when it is obvious that there are no required reasons that these people are better than any others who might be considered?

Alongside that I do have to look back at the whole "the ends never justify the means" and have to wonder if people think about things ending at all? If the means themselves justify themselves then nothing needs changing ever.

because the us specifically has a non political professional bureaucracy which has protections from at will firing to ensure there is a core of non political professionals at all time that can operate the routines of government. that’s literally just how it is.

nobody is saying the ends never justify the means - what we’re saying your end is “saving the US from a pending fascist takeover” the means are not “firing judges” it’s “jailing Republicans”

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Josef bugman posted:

It's a conditional offer. Why on earth is "we are not the same regime" not considered a fair reason?

Not replacing your civil service with each party swap is one of the things that reinforces rule of law, and distinguishes the united states from states on the edge of collapse. It's been a foundational aspect of federal government since the post-civil war reforms.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm not even thinking the other hundreds of immigration judges, I'm thinking housecleaning in, say, CBP and ICE. If there's longstanding, many-examples pattern of Biden firing federal employees because "hired by Trump" or "is Republican", and those being struck down? Then when Biden actually does have good reason to fire a batch of horrible people, there's a serious risk of the judges for the appeals / lawsuits going "lol pull the other one, the Biden admin's been fabricating reasons to fire people illegally over and over again, we're not going to take your word on this poo poo anymore". see: wilbur ross's fuckery with the census et al getting exploded

My presumption is that Garland would, at minimum, quite like to have more Garland hires and less Barr hires, and as such that if he could trivially fire / not-hire these people, he would. This dovetails with what little I've been able to find so far (and what Vox said) about conditional offers not being totally arbitrarily reversible.

Josef bugman posted:

because federal workforce protection laws are actually quite strong in the United States

i have absolutely no idea what they are like in the UK, but these folks are not being hired by Bojo to review French unauthorized immigrants, they're being hired by the Biden DOJ

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 10, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Not replacing your civil service with each party swap is one of the things that reinforces rule of law, and distinguishes the united states from states on the edge of collapse. It's been a foundational aspect of federal government since the post-civil war reforms.

Yep. Republicans kept complaining about "deep state" and this is what they meant: not some sort of grand conspiracy, but rather a professional, non-political bureaucratic corps that refused to go along with whatever bullshit Trump and GOP conjured out of thin air that month, insisted on doing everything by the book and knew exactly how to delay and stonewall things.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Reality Protester posted:

Trump fired the head of the fbi and faced 0 consequences, and the guy never got his job back. Trump also had the deputy director fired, and while a lawsuit got him his pension restored, never gave him his job back.

I think people, average people, care a lot less about judicial appointments than you think they do. If Biden is doing a good job, and has three and a half years left to continue to do a good job, there should be no problem in firing a bunch of trump holdovers from the most racist immigration system in history. He should be applauded for doing so, scrubbing the stain of trump off the federal government.

But he's not, because it's business as usual for Joe, and Joe hates the immigrants too.

He lost the presidency dude.

While the CIA and FBI are very incompetent, the intelligence community as a whole is a cresting wave that can sweep in or away any politician in this country. Including the president. When Nixon betrayed the intel community he felt it aswell.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

These folks are different to criminal judges from what I have been told, and sure you don't maybe want to change the entirety of the civil service each go round. But they are not even in the civil service yet. If they aren't even employed yet then they aren't employees, are they? For all that I am certainly extremely prone to binary thinking I can't help but think that "we can't get rid of the whole civil service each time!" doesn't really apply in this instance.

Owlspiracy posted:

because the us specifically has a non political professional bureaucracy which has protections from at will firing to ensure there is a core of non political professionals at all time that can operate the routines of government. that’s literally just how it is.

nobody is saying the ends never justify the means - what we’re saying your end is “saving the US from a pending fascist takeover” the means are not “firing judges” it’s “jailing Republicans”

But the prior regime, and anyone that follows in their footsteps, will get rid of them if there is a risk of them compromising the regimes goals. We saw this with the FBI director as an example. But as mentioned above these folks got a conditional offer a while back. They are not yet employees of the federal government, are they?

Also "that's just how it is" is the most circular blinkin' logic I have heard. You can't justify things on "well it's just like that" when the "like that" may well result in the harming of human beings.

Some people were. It's just odd to see.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

My presumption is that Garland would, at minimum, quite like to have more Garland hires and less Barr hires, and as such that if he could trivially fire / not-hire these people, he would. This dovetails with what little I've been able to find so far (and what Vox said) about conditional offers not being totally arbitrarily reversible.

This gives a large benefit of the doubt to people in positions of authority that they would do any more than the barest minimum and/or must have a good reasoning for doing as they do. I think this is a point of view I would disagree with on a purely personal level.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i have absolutely no idea what they are like in the UK, but these folks are not being hired by Bojo to review French unauthorized immigrants, they're being hired by the Biden DOJ

I mean surely the problem is that they are being hired before Biden had a DOJ.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 10, 2021

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Here is the most recent job posting for new immigration judges that I can find,
https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/job/immigration-judge-13

quote:

Suitability and Citizenship:  It is the policy of the Department to achieve a drug-free workplace and persons selected for employment will be required to pass a drug test which screens for illegal drug use prior to final appointment.  Employment is also contingent upon the completion and satisfactory adjudication of a background investigation. Congress generally prohibits agencies from employing non-citizens within the United States, except for a few narrow exceptions as set forth in the annual Appropriations Act (see, https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/non-citizens/). Pursuant to DOJ component policies, only U.S. citizens are eligible for employment with the Executive Office for Immigration Review, U.S. Trustee’s Offices, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Unless otherwise indicated in a particular job advertisement, qualifying non-U.S. citizens meeting immigration and appropriations law criteria may apply for employment with other DOJ organizations. However, please be advised that the appointment of non-U.S. citizens is extremely rare; such appointments would be possible only if necessary to accomplish the Department's mission and would be subject to strict security requirements. Applicants who hold dual citizenship in the U.S. and another country will be considered on a case-by-case basis. All DOJ employees are subject to a residency requirement. Candidates must have lived in the United States for at least three of the past five years. The three-year period is cumulative, not necessarily consecutive. Federal or military employees, or dependents of federal or military employees serving overseas, are excepted from this requirement. This is a Department security requirement which is waived only for extreme circumstances and handled on a case-by-case basis.

Seems like it would be very easy to say they failed their background investigation and let them go.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
trump was not, in fact, able to fire the entire federal government and replace it with card-carrying nazis

we can be reasonably confident that he wanted to

he made some - too much - headway in making conditions uncomfortable enough that a lot of people quit, and in refusing to hire more people, but he was not able to legally abolish the FDA, or replace HUD with people who would pay all of the money to Trump properties

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

trump was not, in fact, able to fire the entire federal government and replace it with card-carrying nazis

we can be reasonably confident that he wanted to

he made some - too much - headway in making conditions uncomfortable enough that a lot of people quit, and in refusing to hire more people, but he was not able to legally abolish the FDA, or replace HUD with people who would pay all of the money to Trump properties

I don't think Trump personally gave a single poo poo about the government as an organization and I'm going to need you to prove he did just like apparently that other guy had to 'back up' his claim that less white supremacists in charge of immigration is good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Did you know? trump decertified the Immigration Judges' union in november 2020. In theory they have very few protections right now.

I'm conflicted on whether they should take the opportunity to fire them. Unions are good, and cool, but these guys make well over 100k and are overseeing a genocide, so gently caress them.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think Trump personally gave a single poo poo about the government as an organization and I'm going to need you to prove he did just like apparently that other guy had to 'back up' his claim that less white supremacists in charge of immigration is good.

I saw nothing about Trump's personal respect for government as an organization in the comment you are replying to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

perhaps i gave a little too much credit to the "replace" side of the coin, but he certainly had a go at getting rid of as many employees as possible from departments he didn't like / didn't care about and not replacing them

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2020/11/trump-has-slashed-jobs-nearly-every-federal-agency-biden-promises-reversal/170203/

quote:

At the department level, the Biden team will have the steepest hole to climb out of at Education, which has seen a 15% decline in employees since late 2016. That is up from 11% about halfway through Trump’s term. Both State and Labor employ about 12% fewer workers than they did prior to Trump's presidency. State kept a hiring freeze in place for 16 months until Secretary Mike Pompeo ended it in 2018. While he and department officials said they had instituted plans to restore hiring, State has only seen its net reduction in civil service workers continue to grow. The State inspector general has said the hiring freeze’s impact was deep and widespread and would not be fully reversed until 2021, though the most up-to-date figures show the department is still trending in the wrong direction.

Agencies have used various methods to shed employees. The Environmental Protection Agency and Interior Department initially offered separation incentives to workers, though Congress has since blocked those efforts. Other agencies have relied on attrition. Some took a novel approach, seeking to incentivize employees to leave by relocating their offices. When the Agriculture Department moved two of its components—the Economic Research Service and the National Institute of Food and Agriculture—from Washington to Kansas City, then Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney said it was a “wonderful way” to get long-time career workers to quit.

Agriculture has seen a 7% workforce reduction under Trump, but at ERS and NIFA the attrition rates are 33% and 24%, respectively.

I think "the Trump administration would have directly fired people if it could legally get away with it" is a reasonable conclusion to draw.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

But the prior regime, and anyone that follows in their footsteps, will get rid of them if there is a risk of them compromising the regimes goals. We saw this with the FBI director as an example. But as mentioned above these folks got a conditional offer a while back. They are not yet employees of the federal government, are they?

Also "that's just how it is" is the most circular blinkin' logic I have heard. You can't justify things on "well it's just like that" when the "like that" may well result in the harming of human beings.

idk what you're talking about. the us has extremely strong civil servant protections to encourage a nonpolitical civil service and to specifically prevent an incoming president from cleaning house and hiring political allies. this is good in general for many reasons. the federal civil servant unions are perhaps the strongest unions in the us and are an excellent example of how a union should work and labor protection in practice - in the us federal employees enjoy excellent benefits, protection from unjust firings (they are not at will employees) and a great pension plan - because of the strength of their union. part of these protections include protecting employs who are offered positions from having their offer pulled without consequence - again, in general this is a good thing, because it protects workers. that this may protect some bad people in this specific instance is not evidence that unions are bad in general or that we should fundamentally change our federal civil servant class and the protections they enjoy.

also nobody is "justifying" anything. you once again do not understand the distinction between "is" and "ought".

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 10, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sarcastr0 posted:

I saw nothing about Trump's personal respect for government as an organization in the comment you are replying to.

you can not give a poo poo about something and not respect it. I don't give a poo poo about a lot of things I don't respect.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i don't know why this is somehow controversial, but having strong unions that protect their employees is generally a good thing. we can talk about specific instances where this can be bad (protecting bad judges) or is abused (police unions) but those instances do not mean that unions are bad in general. all of us would be extremely lucky & grateful to enjoy the benefits provided to federal employees by their unions and collective bargaining, including perhaps the best pension plans in the country, excellent health care, and extremely strong protections from firing.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Did you know? trump decertified the Immigration Judges' union in november 2020. In theory they have very few protections right now.

I'm conflicted on whether they should take the opportunity to fire them. Unions are good, and cool, but these guys make well over 100k and are overseeing a genocide, so gently caress them.

its kind of an interesting question. i personally don't feel police unions (a similar example) should be treated like other unions and you can maintain worker solidarity while wanting police unions to be disbanded.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Anyway, if there is in fact a legal way to non-hire these judges, my position on the topic will move from "whatever, fine" to "should have non-hired them but whatever". I am dubious of the ability of Garland/Biden to blow up the background review process, and whether it would be a good idea.

Even if not hiring them is feasible, I'm much more interested in the larger-scale remedies. Telling the FBI or whoever to deep six the security clearance review of hundreds of current immigration judges and thousands of CBP and ICE officers does not sound legally feasible to me. What does sound feasible is several reform proposals re Garland - many of which directly impact current immigration judges and these immigration judges. Indeed, even the somewhat clickbaity Hill article that started all this got into some of the big picture, once it moved away from "Biden is hiring Trump's judges - should we be angry, or furious? plz click 4 more".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

idk what you're talking about. the us has extremely strong civil servant protections to encourage a nonpolitical civil service and to specifically prevent an incoming president from cleaning house and hiring political allies. this is good in general for many reasons. the federal civil servant unions are perhaps the strongest unions in the us and are an excellent example of how a union should work and labor protection in practice - in the us federal employees enjoy excellent benefits, protection from unjust firings (they are not at will employees) and a great pension plan - because of the strength of their union. part of these protections include protecting employs who are offered positions from having their offer pulled without consequence - again, in general this is a good thing, because it protects workers. that this may protect some bad people in this specific instance is not evidence that unions are bad in general or that we should fundamentally change our federal civil servant class and the protections they enjoy.

also nobody is "justifying" anything. you once again do not understand the distinction between "is" and "ought".

In response to the bolded bit: The next governments apparatus: Will ignore per-existing legal reasons and come up with new ones to justify it's own power/ continuation of it's chosen ideals. It will do this and any attempt to appeal to prior norms will be ignored.

The creation of a nonpolitical civil service is great. However the fact that these particular individuals seem to be political appointments imply that there are some gaps, wouldn't you say? They have been sent the job offer but they aren't employed by the government yet, right? It's good that they enjoy those benefits. But it's clearly something that is very abusable by bad actors by just going "we will hire these people even if unqualified/ actively against humanity in general, because we have chosen to do this".

I don't think that the difference between "is" and "ought" should be as wide as folks appear to be okay with.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Anyway, if there is in fact a legal way to non-hire these judges, my position on the topic will move from "whatever, fine" to "should have non-hired them but whatever". I am dubious of the ability of Garland/Biden to blow up the background review process, and whether it would be a good idea.

I am unsure if this is apropos for this thread, and do feel free to ignore this, but why does legality matter to you? I know in theory that it prevents the powerful from acting as they wish towards the less powerful, but I am unsure that this happens.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 10, 2021

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Owlspiracy posted:

its kind of an interesting question. i personally don't feel police unions (a similar example) should be treated like other unions and you can maintain worker solidarity while wanting police unions to be disbanded.

Police unions do so much more than just advocate for their workers.

As for immigration judges, I could be wrong, but for most civil servants there are statutory safeguards to their employment above and beyond what a union can assure.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

In response to the bolded bit: The next governments apparatus: Will ignore per-existing legal reasons and come up with new ones to justify it's own power/ continuation of it's chosen ideals. It will do this and any attempt to appeal to prior norms will be ignored.

this just isn't true. it wasn't true under trump and hasn't been true under biden. why do you think this is happening? because trump fired the fbi director?

the distinction between "is" and "ought" is important because you asked why something is, and you were answered. that is a very different question on how things ought to be. they're just... different. i don't know how else to explain it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I am unsure if this is apropos for this thread, and do feel free to ignore this, but why does legality matter to you? I know in theory that it prevents the powerful from acting as they wish towards the less powerful, but I am unsure that this happens.

Because as i mentioned earlier, if they are fired, and they sue, and they're reinstated, that's one link in the "the Biden administration arbitrarily and illegally fires people and their fake reasons cannot be trusted" precedent chain. When horrible people are fired by the Biden administration, we want them to stay fired.

Firing horrible people for being Republicans, or being hired by Trump, may not keep them fired. If Biden makes a habit of that, he may well have difficulty firing horrible people for good and legal reasons.

also it would be mildly irritating to have to waste resources on the court case and then pay extra restitution to Trump hires, but that's not as important a policy matter

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 10, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

this just isn't true. it wasn't true under trump and hasn't been true under biden. why do you think this is happening? because trump fired the fbi director?

the distinction between "is" and "ought" is important because you asked why something is, and you were answered. that is a very different question on how things ought to be. they're just... different. i don't know how else to explain it.

You say this as if there is not now a concerted effort by the second largest political party to prevent democracy from being realised inside of the USA. I believe it is, on balance, very likely to happen. The next time the Republicans in their present set up win then the USA will continue to have elections, it's just that you will know the result about 4 days in advance.

I am asking about it because it's interesting. They are different but I feel like people focus on "is" to the exclusion of "ought". Like "Oh they can't fire them because of preexisting legal precedent" seems to rapidly shade into "they shouldn't fire them because to do so would mean politicising the process." I'd argue that the latter has already happened.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

because any functioning democratic system is premised on a shared belief in the rule of law. its literally the foundational precept to modern liberal democracies. there is no objective value or meaning to a shared legal code - it only has value if we collectively believe it has value. this collective belief is required for a functioning society.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

You say this as if there is not now a concerted effort by the second largest political party to prevent democracy from being realised inside of the USA. I believe it is, on balance, very likely to happen. The next time the Republicans in their present set up win then the USA will continue to have elections, it's just that you will know the result about 4 days in advance.

if you legitimately believe this you should not be advocating firing immigration judges, you should be advocating arresting republicans and stripping them of their civil liberties and their right to vote.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

And if they sue and they aren't? Is the harm that they could inflict worse than the harm they will inflict on some of the most vulnerable people in the modern world if left in post?

Owlspiracy posted:

because any functioning democratic system is premised on a shared belief in the rule of law. its literally the foundational precept to modern liberal democracies. there is no objective value or meaning to a shared legal code - it only has value if we collectively believe it has value. this collective belief is required for a functioning society.

"Modern liberal democracies" were founded after either the French Revolution or the American Revolutionary war. Both of which involved the violent overthrow of the legal authorities of their territories. I would heartily disagree with the idea that these nations foundational ideal was a belief in the "rule of law", considering this.

But it's also blatantly obvious that the law is usually applied so that the wealthier or stronger is defended by it whilst the poorer/weaker is exploited. It shouldn't be this way, but it is and therefore why bother to pretend it is different?

Owlspiracy posted:

if you legitimately believe this you should not be advocating firing immigration judges, you should be advocating arresting republicans and stripping them of their civil liberties and their right to vote.

Do you mean legislators or standard GOP voters? Because can you not see that happening? And to quote a silly meme: por que no los dos!

I'd advocate, very seriously that the GOP is a white supremacist organisation and, if it were smaller, would be on a watchlist.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 10, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

And if they sue and they aren't? Is the harm that they could inflict worse than the harm they will inflict on some of the most vulnerable people in the modern world if left in post?

"Modern liberal democracies" were founded after either the French Revolution or the American Revolutionary war. Both of which involved the violent overthrow of the legal authorities of their territories. I would heartily disagree with the idea that these nations foundational ideal was a belief in the "rule of law", considering this.

Do you mean legislators or standard GOP voters? Because can you not see that happening? And to quote a silly meme: por que no los dos!

I'd advocate, very seriously that the GOP is a white supremacist organisation and, if it were smaller, would be on a watchlist.

i mean this kindly: have you ever studied any intellectual history or political history?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

i mean this kindly: have you ever studied any intellectual history or political history?

Yes.

Or should I say: Yes? Had to study a lot of medieval and later history. From what I saw it was very much that the only thing preventing people with power doing harm isn't "the law" but something equally powerful able and willing to smash their face in if they try anything on. Be that concerns about other nobles, bad press abroad or etc.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 10, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Josef bugman posted:

From what I saw it was very much that the only thing preventing people with power doing harm isn't "the law" but something equally powerful able and willing to smash their face in if they try anything on. Be that concerns about other nobles, bad press abroad or etc.

Counterpoint that is extremely relevant to this thread/line of discussion: Trump was stopped from doing a long long list of harms by the US legal system.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Then my current assessment that non-hiring them is probably illegal is wrong, and my primary concern* about "just fire them for being trump hires lol" is invalid. I repeat yet again: if firing them is legal, my position moves from "whatever fine" to "should have fired them, but whatever". It would be a comparatively very small, but positive, action.

* - there's some chance repeated indecorous actions might impact Biden's reelection chances more negatively than positively, and it's conceivable that some norm erosions might in fact turn out to have been bad ideas. but for the same reasons i am more interested in the big picture and large-scale remedies to the immigration / immigration judge system, i don't really think the firing of seventeen immigration judges would be an earthshaking national scandal that dooms us to destruction in 2022 and 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

Counterpoint that is extremely relevant to this thread/line of discussion: Trump was stopped from doing a long long list of harms by the US legal system.

That's because Trump, fortunately, had not done the "simple" thing of requiring direct loyalty before promotion/protection. Creating lines of clear patronage (even if it's behind the figleaf of "rewarding good work") would have meant he'd have been able to get so much more evil poo poo done. Trump (as others have argued here) had a lot of power in the imperial presidency and, to be honest, if he hadn't been so content to remain as he was, he could have done even more damage.

Trump was only ever focussed on the now and the immediate. I am thinking that the GOP, as a collective body, has started to see that democracy is no longer enough for them to continue to hold power. When that comes into ever sharper focus the efforts to create full minority rule (as in the electorate percentile, not ethnic minority) will really kick in.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 10, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Seems like it would be very easy to say they failed their background investigation and let them go.

No, it does not make sense for the president to seize control of the federal employment background examination system and use it to replace employees with loyalists. This is seriously trying to sprint down the failed state process.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

No, it does not make sense for the president to seize control of the federal employment background examination system and use it to replace employees with loyalists. This is seriously trying to sprint down the failed state process.

Does the previous regimes appointment of loyalists through different means not already accelerate this?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Then my current assessment that non-hiring them is probably illegal is wrong, and my primary concern* about "just fire them for being trump hires lol" is invalid. I repeat yet again: if firing them is legal, my position moves from "whatever fine" to "should have fired them, but whatever". It would be a comparatively very small, but positive, action.

* - there's some chance repeated indecorous actions might impact Biden's reelection chances more negatively than positively, and it's conceivable that some norm erosions might in fact turn out to have been bad ideas. but for the same reasons i am more interested in the big picture and large-scale remedies to the immigration / immigration judge system, i don't really think the firing of seventeen immigration judges would be an earthshaking national scandal that dooms us to destruction in 2022 and 2024

Norm erosion/change is already well underway and has been since, I've seen it argued, everyone from Reagan to W. Bush. But this is the thing if they are not going to check and see, how will we know? Do you think that arguing over this will create any greater problem?

I am sorry if I am being rude. It's a bit late and I am trying to make sure I'm spelling everything out correctly, but I am really enjoying this!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2021

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Does the previous regimes appointment of loyalists through means of ignoring prior guidance not already accelerate this?

Immaterial. The goal is not to destroy the government. Using the actions of the trump administration (which did not include this form of abuse) does not some how justify new, worse abuses.

It is absurd that we are having to once again entertain this level of absurdity because someone posted ragebait from the Hill.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Josef bugman posted:

That's because Trump, fortunately, had not done the "simple" thing of requiring direct loyalty before promotion/protection. Creating lines of clear patronage (even if it's behind the figleaf of "rewarding good work") would have meant he'd have been able to get so much more evil poo poo done. Trump (as others have argued here) had a lot of power in the imperial presidency and, to be honest, if he hadn't been so content to remain as he was, he could have done even more damage.

Trump was only ever focussed on the now and the immediate. I am thinking that the GOP, as a collective body, has started to see that democracy is no longer enough for them to continue to hold power. When that comes into ever sharper focus the efforts to create full minority rule (as in the electorate percentile, not ethnic minority) will really kick in.

Norm erosion/change is already well underway and has been since, I've seen it argued, everyone from Reagan to W. Bush. But this is the thing if they are not going to check and see, how will we know? Do you think that arguing over this will create any greater problem?

I am sorry if I am being rude. It's a bit late and I am trying to make sure I'm spelling everything out correctly, but I am really enjoying this!

You're not being rude you're just very incorrect.

Trump appointed judges who he thought would be loyal and his cronies thought would be loyal, but in many cases Trump-appointed judges would rule against him.

Bill Barr was hired to be a political hatchet man and toady and to a large extent he was. But even Barr went against Trump on some major issues and eventually quit.

You were just informed about the US civil service. One of the main functions of those civil servants is to be apolitical and thus not subject to patronage networks as you describe. You could call those career civil servants the "deep state" if you want.

What on earth do you mean he was "content to remain as he was??" What about Donald John Trump made him "content" and limited him from doing more damage?

Frankly your first paragraph quoted above is so stupendously wrong it's kind of hard to approach.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 10, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

That norm assumes two parties generally working towards the betterment of the country, even when they disagree as to what that betterment may be. Your argument would be stronger if the administration stacking the deck wasn't a modern GOP administration.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'd personally disagree. Every system is breakable, all you need to do is apply enough force and what is the opposition going to do? How much of a protection is the bill of rights if your opponent has someone at their side willing to suspend it for use against you? They may well have done, but the next batch will not be half as likely to do so, for the simple reason that there will be no chance of anyone else winning.

Do you think that Civil services do not have patronage networks? Do you think that most of these folks are so removed from things that they can act "none politically"?

Because Trump is a deeply lazy person. He's also a vile human shitehawk, but he got what he wanted out of being president, he just wishes it'd lasted longer. Fame, people "taking him seriously" lots and lots of people being there and cheering. He did not want to change the basic structure of the state. There is no ideological drive to Trump, it's all reactive. Someone who is either more of a GOP apparatchik or someone really commited to the ideological fundamentals of Right-authoritarianism will not let such a small thing as "the law" get in the way.

It's fine, I'm sorry if I'm being daft.

Discendo Vox posted:

Immaterial. The goal is not to destroy the government. Using the actions of the trump administration (which did not include this form of abuse) does not some how justify new, worse abuses.

I am unsure of that. It matters a great deal because the GOP fundamentally do want to destroy the government. How is the appointment of people to your own agenda not worse than stopping those people doing harm?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 10, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I'd personally disagree. Every system is breakable, all you need to do is apply enough force and what is the opposition going to do? How much of a protection is the bill of rights if your opponent has someone at their side willing to suspend it for use against you? They may well have done, but the next batch will not be half as likely to do so, for the simple reason that there will be no chance of anyone else winning.

Do you think that Civil services do not have patronage networks? Do you think that most of these folks are so removed from things that they can act "none politically"?

Because Trump is a deeply lazy person. He's also a vile human shitehawk, but he got what he wanted out of being president, he just wishes it'd lasted longer. Fame, people "taking him seriously" lots and lots of people being there and cheering. He did not want to change the basic structure of the state. There is no ideological drive to Trump, it's all reactive. Someone who is either more of a GOP apparatchik or someone really commited to the ideological fundamentals of Right-authoritarianism will not let such a small thing as "the law" get in the way.

It's fine, I'm sorry if I'm being daft.

if you legitimately believe this you should start a thread about practical steps for biden to start rounding up and jailing republican voters because you have just described a scenario in which anything short of that will lead to a fascist dictatorship.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Josef bugman posted:

oh hey it's bugman writing dumb posts about things without knowing anything about them again!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-demands-loyalty-oath-from-job-seekers-who-criticized-him-during-election
https://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/03/donald-trump-loyalty-oaths-220416
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/08/trump-offered-kelly-fbi-head-if-he-pledged-loyalty-report.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/06/09/from-lincolns-era-to-trumps-the-paranoid-history-of-loyalty-oaths/

and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think it is a Good Thing that Trump wasn't able to fire all lower level federal employees and replace them with MAGA chuds. It is possible that we will have a Republican President at some point in the future, and they shouldn't be able to fire employees hired by the Biden administration. In order to maintain this precedent, we have to accept that Trump has caused lasting damage, and that it is not possible to undo all of it, just like it wasn't possible for Trump to undo all of Obama's accomplishments.