Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warmachine posted:

I had that issue in my Ncase, but the solution ended up being just not attempting to take the shortest run in each situation. I have three runs of 16/10 running parallel over the top of the GPU for instance. My tightest run was from the GPU to my bottom radiator, which is basically a 90 degree turn with a 2 inch radius I think? I'm worried slightly about it being a lot of sideways pressure on the fittings potentially causing a leak somewhere down the line, but the alternative is even more Rube Goldberg-style tubing runs.

Got any pics? Always interested to see how others have gone about their builds and steal ideas for future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Theophany posted:

Got any pics? Always interested to see how others have gone about their builds and steal ideas for future!

Should have some soon (tm). I'm doing some custom cable work that includes replacing pump and fan wires, so I'll make sure to get some "finished" pics.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
I recently finished my PC project. I love ZMT and have zero regrets about skipping hard tubing. I really liked the optimus cpu block as well, so smooth.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

sarr posted:

I recently finished my PC project. I love ZMT and have zero regrets about skipping hard tubing. I really liked the optimus cpu block as well, so smooth.

Looks rad as hell, love the aesthetic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there any ITX cases with or supporting distribution blocks?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

sarr posted:

O11 … Dynamic?

The pump on that distro is a DDC type right?

I like the way this build came out, congrats.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's the O11 XL. The pump is actually a D5. This is the distro plate I'm using: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

sarr posted:

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's the O11 XL. The pump is actually a D5. This is the distro plate I'm using: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

I'm definitely getting that non-XL version of that. I finally convinced myself that its worth the $300, now to wait until June when my card gives me 5% back on it

Edit: Wait poo poo performance-pcs is having a mothers day sale and I can get 10% off gently caress

Edit 2: Ok what is the flow pattern? Like what flows into what?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 7, 2021

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Collateral Damage posted:

I think the o11 mini has one, but it’s a huge itx case.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh hey I can't use that front distro. I have a normal O11, and that plate means I can't use a bottom 360 radiator. I might be able to Dremel part of the PCIe slots out to fit but I'd rather not

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I know this isn't a custom loop question but hopefully it qualifies: I have an NZXT Kraken AiO (or whatever one was illegal to sell in the US in 2016 due to patent issues) on a 6700K and at ~5yrs old I'll occasionally hear swishing noises from the pump. At what point should I be concerned about the loop drying out?

I also have an AiO on the 1070 and, while I managed to wedge them in together and not need two thumb screws that would have rendered them incompatible, I don't see myself doing this again on anything less than a full tower. The problem is that the GPU cooler is integrated to the card, so if that dies I'm not looking forward to hunting down a GPU during a global chip shortage (THANKS COINERS).

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It goes: lower rad in/out => gpu in/out => cpu in/out => top rad in/out (and then back down again to lower rad).

I wanted to do both rad connections in the front of the case for minimum amount of ZMT visible, but the bottom rad was too thick..

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm definitely getting that non-XL version of that. I finally convinced myself that its worth the $300, now to wait until June when my card gives me 5% back on it

Edit: Wait poo poo performance-pcs is having a mothers day sale and I can get 10% off gently caress

The non-XL version of the distro plate uses a DDC pump and some people get ultra lovely about "D5 or die" for whatever reason, just FYI. I had one and it worked great, but prepare yourself for random internet weirdos getting obssessively angry about your pump choice*.

* a choice made by a company who knows watercooling far better than rando internet keyboard warriors

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

drat that distro block is cool as. I wish something like that existed for the NR200, maybe replace the right side panel or something. Let others see the mess of cables I stuffed back there!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Looking to water cool my new build. I understand fluid systems and how to get proper seals due to work experience. Material choice not so much.

Specs:

• EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
  • Ryzen 5800x
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-E motherboard
  • Fractal Design Define R6 case (Glass panel)
  • Currently a Seasonic Focus GX 850, but will probably need to upgrade.

I need help deciding who to get parts from as well as material choice. I plan on doing soft tubing to start and may try hard tubing later in the future. I'm thinking 2 radiators, one on front, one on top. Going Reservoir > pump > components > top rad > front rad > Reservoir. Is that an optimal flowpath?

What should I be looking for in components?

Can I get away with 2x 280mm radiators for those parts, or will I need 2x 360mm radiators?

Should both radiators be in a push setup or would pull be ok for the top mounted radiator?

Should I try to mount my reservoir as high as possible to keep the radiators full with a pump at the bottom?

Are there any dyes that won't settle out in the fins of the waterblocks and eventually foul or clog the heat exchange surfaces?

Is it worth getting an active backplate for the 3090 if I might do mining on the side?

Are there any PCIE 4.0 riser cables you recommend to vertically mount my GPU?

The Define R6 has mounting holes and vertical slots built in. It just needs a standard right angle bracket and mounting offsets. But I should be able to leave the other PCIE slots free for mounting other smaller cards. Just unsure of the riser cables out there and which one would be suitable for the 3090.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Optimal flowpath is keeping tubing runs as short and straight as possible, loop order really doesn't matter in any practical sense as the loop will eventually equalise as heat is spread around.

2x 280s will be enough. If the top mounted radiator is exhausting air then pull is probably fine as you're working with physics, i.e. heat rises. Your main consideration should be good static pressure fans, beyond that push vs pull is really an aesthetic choice.

As long as you have a decent enough pump (D5) I would argue reservoir mounting height doesn't matter. A D5 has enough head pressure and flow to push air out of a loop without issue. Definitely give thought to putting a drain port/T line at the lowest point of your loop though, it'll make your life so much easier when it comes to drain it for maintenance or to add/remove components.

For dyes, I'd avoid anything solid/pastel coloured and double avoid any of that weird flow effect crap. EK's don't seem to gunk up blocks, but they definitely stain them and tubes. The more 'watery' coloured fluids don't seem to be quite as bad, but expect discoloration over time.

This is the PCIe 4.0 riser I have and it works absolutely fine, not a single issue with it. I've seen people having problems with PCIe 3.0 risers on PCIe 4.0 boards, but issues with them seem to be completely random.

The above is based on my experience and I'm sure there are other posters with vastly more experience than me!

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

What you are describing is my build but with newer components. I'm running 9700k/2080ti.
Comments in quote below.

MonkeyFit posted:

Is that an optimal flowpath? Yes

Can I get away with 2x 280mm radiators for those parts, or will I need 2x 360mm radiators?
If I had to do it over again I'd probably put a 360 on top. it can get pretty crowded at the top/front if you go dual 360's in the r6. Leaving a 280 on the front allows you to mount it a little lower. Went thicker on the front to a 45.

Should both radiators be in a push setup or would pull be ok for the top mounted radiator?
I experimented with a bunch of different configs. Best results came from having both rads pulling intake with the rear fan exhausting.

Should I try to mount my reservoir as high as possible to keep the radiators full with a pump at the bottom?
As long as the pump is below the res it doesn't matter. Totally agree with Theophany about drain valve placement.

Are there any dyes that won't settle out in the fins of the waterblocks and eventually foul or clog the heat exchange surfaces?
If you don't want to change out coolant every couple months stick with clear :can:

Is it worth getting an active backplate for the 3090 if I might do mining on the side?
I would

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just upgraded my CPU, replaced the block and refilled my loop for the first time in 2-4 years. This time I went res -> CPU -> pump -> rad; before it was res -> pump -> rad -> CPU, but I want to be sure that any contamination can settle in the res, the CPU block had accumulated a bit over the years.

I also think its time to replace my res - I have an ancient aquacooling aluminium tube res that what is likely copper blooms growing in it. I know you shouldn't mix copper and aluminum but its been working for 15 years... Case is quite cramped already though. Another reason to replace it is it uses 1/8" fittings, so my tubing is a mix of sizes depending on the age of the components.

I also may replace my pump - I'm still using the classic aquarium Eheim with 240V AC plug, I'm sure there are better choices available nowadays. (Edit: Looked around a bit. Watercooling stuff has gotten expensive!)

Maybe I'll copy that. What company makes that rad and bracket?

Ika fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 16, 2021

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Turns out the brainworms are still alive and well, just dropped stupid money on EK RAM waterblocks. Pics to follow.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Theophany posted:

Turns out the brainworms are still alive and well, just dropped stupid money on EK RAM waterblocks. Pics to follow.

Stupid and pointless doesn't preclude them from being fun to play with. Looking forward to seeing this boondoggle.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

There aren't many afaik, but there is the bolt by digital storm. I'm not sure exactly how they ran that, but it's all liquid cooled and custom runs, includes the gpu. They also had another as well, the spark but it never went to retail.

I'm looking for a basic 120mm aio that will fit in the silverstone sg13, so just one fan. Any thread suggestions? I'd prefer blingless so no rgb

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Broken Machine posted:

There aren't many afaik, but there is the bolt by digital storm. I'm not sure exactly how they ran that, but it's all liquid cooled and custom runs, includes the gpu. They also had another as well, the spark but it never went to retail.

I'm looking for a basic 120mm aio that will fit in the silverstone sg13, so just one fan. Any thread suggestions? I'd prefer blingless so no rgb

Why even use a 120mm aio, a decent big enough CPU cooler should be better, cheaper and make less noise. If the cooler is a little to wide or so just cut it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

AutismVaccine posted:

Why even use a 120mm aio, a decent big enough CPU cooler should be better, cheaper and make less noise. If the cooler is a little to wide or so just cut it.

I just like it aesthetically for the build, it fits w/ the rest of what I have planned. Plus with a big cooler and lower voltage chip it should be quiet, regardless of which it's in another room entirely. Think I'll probably just get a Liquid Freezer II 120, although I don't like the fan that's near the socket it seems unnecessary. I'd like something like that but a bit plainer, can't seem to find anything so I thought I would ask as long as I was answering Collateral Damage's question anyways

Is that ok with u

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warmachine posted:

Stupid and pointless doesn't preclude them from being fun to play with. Looking forward to seeing this boondoggle.

Turns out heatspreaders they put on RAM these days loving suck to take off. I miss the old days where it was two clips instead of literal glue that needs to be cooked off :v:

Unscrew the buggers

Get the hairdryer all fired up

Boom, some nekkid RAM. The backside has no chips on it, just some utterly horrible adhesive and I did burn my fingers quite a few times getting the drat things off. The very pretty EKWB heatspreaders are now on but I've got to drive for like 4 hours tomorrow and I'm two glasses of Jim Beam deep so there's no way in heck I'm draining my loop and seeing if I've shagged this RAM in the process. :v:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Broken Machine posted:

I just like it aesthetically for the build, it fits w/ the rest of what I have planned. Plus with a big cooler and lower voltage chip it should be quiet, regardless of which it's in another room entirely. Think I'll probably just get a Liquid Freezer II 120, although I don't like the fan that's near the socket it seems unnecessary. I'd like something like that but a bit plainer, can't seem to find anything so I thought I would ask as long as I was answering Collateral Damage's question anyways

Is that ok with u

I don’t think the freezer ii fits with an atx psu from what I remember, so just a heads maybe. I really like my ek aio 240, so maybe check out the 120. They have a better cold plate compared to asetek. Corsair h80 works as well

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 21, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Canna Happy posted:

I don’t think the freezer ii fits with an atx psu from what I remember, so just a heads maybe. I really like my ek aio 240, so maybe check out the 120. They have a better cold plate compared to asetek. Corsair h80 works as well

Thanks Canna; I looked a bit more myself and I think I'm going with the Asetek 550LC, which is solid + I like how it looks. It's just a 40w chip so it's not super critical to have the best performance. I'll keep that ek in mind for the future though, cheers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Theophany posted:

Turns out heatspreaders they put on RAM these days loving suck to take off. I miss the old days where it was two clips instead of literal glue that needs to be cooked off :v:

Unscrew the buggers

Boom, some nekkid RAM. The backside has no chips on it, just some utterly horrible adhesive and I did burn my fingers quite a few times getting the drat things off. The very pretty EKWB heatspreaders are now on but I've got to drive for like 4 hours tomorrow and I'm two glasses of Jim Beam deep so there's no way in heck I'm draining my loop and seeing if I've shagged this RAM in the process. :v:

The stealth MVP of my build has to be the $20 heat gun I picked up at Ace. I used it to delid my processor and after a minute or two under the gun the delid tool took it off like butter. But yeah, in general, I hate dealing with heat-based adhesive.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Theophany posted:

Unscrew the buggers

My favorite way of seeing them removed:

https://youtu.be/nvRv-8qY-CE

Passburger
May 4, 2013
WIP but I'm still happy with the way the copper pipes turned out, at least since I had 0 experience tube bending. Next will be braided cables and some tidier cable management.

Would have used a GPU in different colour if I could afford one, or even added it to the loop, but buying a water block for this version of a 1070 is a waste of money.

Passburger fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 28, 2021

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
that's rad as hell. great job!

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Thanks man, I appreciate it!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Whats the smallest reservoir that isn't just tubing with a T in it?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there a good place to sell of my water parts? Thinking hardware swap on reddit, but there's probably something better.

Moving to air in a SFF, if I don't go full laptop+eGPU. Parts are about a year old. Not worth holding onto the water-cooling parts for the after.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Is there a good place to sell of my water parts? Thinking hardware swap on reddit, but there's probably something better.

Moving to air in a SFF, if I don't go full laptop+eGPU. Parts are about a year old. Not worth holding onto the water-cooling parts for the after.

Post a list here and if anyone’s interested make an sa mart thread?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Might as well. I'll get a list together. It's EK components. D-RGB res/D5 pump, D-RGB AMD waterblock, and a bunch of misc fittings mostly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Whats the smallest reservoir that isn't just tubing with a T in it?

There are a few, depending on how liberal you are with your definition of "reservoir."

Barrow has a pump and res combo, or if you want to go for the ultimate in space efficiency (at the expense of having a "res" that's probably like...30ml?) they also have a combo pump / CPU block / res. I actually have that one, because I got brain worms and decided to build in a Evolv Shift. It works surprisingly well (other than the lighting needing special hardware that's not natively compatible with anything else), except something in my setup is slow leaking fluid to the point I have to top it up every few weeks. I actually suspect it's the tubing itself being ever so slightly permeable and basically evaporating a little off as it runs.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Might as well. I'll get a list together. It's EK components. D-RGB res/D5 pump, D-RGB AMD waterblock, and a bunch of misc fittings mostly.

I might be interested. I'm just waiting for EK to put out an active backplate for the EVGA 3090 before I watercool, which they have confirmed they're working on. But I could get some parts earlier if it's a good deal.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
And some time in the last 2 weeks, EKWB finally put up preorders for an active backplate for the FTW3 3080/3090. I just preordered the front and back blocks for my GPU. I might end up watercooling sooner than I expected.

MonkeyFit fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 31, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So who has the best radiators? It looks like I can get away with a 45mm thick rad on the front and maybe a 30mm up top in a define R6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MonkeyFit posted:

So who has the best radiators? It looks like I can get away with a 45mm thick rad on the front and maybe a 30mm up top in a define R6.

I'm an absolute whore for EKWB, but I don't think they make any crossflow radiators which is mildly irritating when you need some flexibility with your tube runs.