Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I'm sorry but nothing compared to krogan vanguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm specifically talking about the Asari Justicar being better than the Asari Adept though.

Everybody already knows the Asari Justicar is better than Adept though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh.

Good.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Amppelix posted:

i was thinking about the black widow but that was for the future, i'm not using any of those right now. i have a vintage heatsink'd widow (which feels deliciously cheesy, by the way, even though i don't think it's actually OP at all)

Huh, somehow I'd never developed the BW. Anyway, just did and it checks out, the skills raise it to 4/5 shots as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouSJJJb3uo
There's a devs react to an ME1 speedrun that came out yesterday.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tenacious J posted:

As someone who has only played 1-2 total of all ME games put together, but is really looking forward to the Legendary edition and carefully and deliberately playing through while aspiring to 100% all of it - what character build will be the most rewarding? Any other tips to maximize fun/good times?

Play as a vanguard. Always be charging. Easily the most fun class in 2 and 3.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Is there any way to change classes in the later games if you bring your save file through? Like can I be an adept in 1, an infiltrator in 2, and a vanguard in 3 but still have my choices carry through?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Is there any way to change classes in the later games if you bring your save file through? Like can I be an adept in 1, an infiltrator in 2, and a vanguard in 3 but still have my choices carry through?

You're given a chance to change your class between games when you import a save.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Did anyone else who pre-ordered on the Xbox store get an email from Microsoft saying the date has changed to 13th May (one day early)?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

StarBegotten posted:

Did anyone else who pre-ordered on the Xbox store get an email from Microsoft saying the date has changed to 13th May (one day early)?

I saw some posts on Reddit about it but I didn't get one and the release date in the store is still the 14th.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

I saw some posts on Reddit about it but I didn't get one and the release date in the store is still the 14th.

Its odd. I am from the UK, I wonder if its region dependant and/or a mistake?

Well, the Xbox it getting turned on Thursday morning to see what happens!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StarBegotten posted:

The release stuff is a whole loving mess right how nobody seems sure about. PC looks to be midnight local, but console has changed twice in the last week or so.

People on Reddit are saying 3pm GMT Friday on Xbox, 3am GMT (so late Thursday for NA) for Playstation. But they could also be dumb and reading clocks wrong.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

1-2 kind of justifies the “yeah we threw a biotic amp in you” kind of class change, but it’s kind of funny in story if you go from like Adept to a non biotic class

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There's no preorder goodies right? I'm trying to decide where to buy it on PC. Greenmangaming has it for $52 I think but for Origin only. Otherwise its just a choice between giving your money to Gabe or EA I guess.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Is renegade fine for a first playthrough or is it kinda a goofy way to play through the game? Does it ruin character specific stories or anything?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

1-2 kind of justifies the “yeah we threw a biotic amp in you” kind of class change, but it’s kind of funny in story if you go from like Adept to a non biotic class

It would be funny to go like Adept, Engineer, Soldier

Of course by ME3 even Soldier is a Space Wizard

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Generally Paragon/Renegade are the "gently caress the rules I have charisma" buttons that you press to avoid facing bad consequences for your decisions. They don't really pop up much when talking with your squadmates, you just chose whether or not to be an rear end in a top hat to them directly. Since Renegade has to be a valid path through all 3 games, it won't be quite as satisfying as full Paragon but it's not going to make the game radically worse.

I would say for first playthrough it's a bit much because there's a lot of space racism involved, which isn't really impactful when you don't know much about the setting. I would generally recommend Paragon first, then Renegade, then maybe a FailShep run.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobjr posted:

I guess it'd just be the opposite: "Sorry your biotic amp fell out when you got killed in space and we couldn't find it and also couldn't just make another one for you".

Actually one thing I've always found kind of odd in all the ME games is how they make a big deal out human biotics being unusual but never, ever acknowledge that Shepard is one if you are playing as an Adept/Vanguard/Sentinel.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the important thing to do is take every Renegade interuppt the series presents from 2 onwards.
You're working too hard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Caesar Saladin posted:

Is renegade fine for a first playthrough or is it kinda a goofy way to play through the game? Does it ruin character specific stories or anything?

One problem with Renegade that runs throughout the entire series is that it can often be unpredictable whether your response will be cool badass or pointlessly cruel for no reason. For a first playthrough it's more fun to just take whatever dialogue choice feels right in the moment than trying to game it in any one direction.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, renegade works fine for a first playthrough. You can be a Loose Cannon who Gets The Job Done and just not pick the obvious space racism/Cerberus is good options, you still get enough points for all the major renegade checks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd consider editing yourself max paragon/ renegade points in ME1, once those tools are available for the remaster.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Paragon is a single coherent character concept, Renegade tends to be more doing the opposite of Paragon regardless of whether it makes sense

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah unfortunately the issue with Renegade is that it's a couple of different character concepts smushed into one which all fall under the general umbrella of "rear end in a top hat" but entirely different flavours of it and it's not totally clear which one you're going to be with any given response. Like it's entirely reasonable to believe Shepard is an "ends justify the means" type without being a space racist, but unfortunately both of these are on the Renegade end of the spectrum.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah unfortunately the issue with Renegade is that it's a couple of different character concepts smushed into one which all fall under the general umbrella of "rear end in a top hat" but entirely different flavours of it and it's not totally clear which one you're going to be with any given response. Like it's entirely reasonable to believe Shepard is an "ends justify the means" type without being a space racist, but unfortunately both of these are on the Renegade end of the spectrum.

Yeah, absolutely. It's a weird melange of "rebel anti-hero who cuts through the red tape" and "actually, just a horrendous monster" and you don't typically know which option is gonna be which. Paragon is just "hero" which is a pretty easy concept to keep consistent in a space adventure story.

There are definitely a couple of dialogue options in ME1 where the Renegade dialogue choice is described as like, "I don't trust him" and then you click it and Shepard goes, "you can never trust a turian" like the world's most bigoted action figure.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
You can make a perfectly consistent Mostly-Renegade character, maybe 80%. You never go Full Renegade, that's the key.

P.S. I am considering being a crazy person and going for full achievements in a single run - has anyone done a level 1 insanity build? I've beaten insanity a couple of times but I was always at least level 50 when I did so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I thought insanity was locked until you'd done one playthrough, or have they changed that

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

DourCricket posted:

You can make a perfectly consistent Mostly-Renegade character, maybe 80%. You never go Full Renegade, that's the key.

P.S. I am considering being a crazy person and going for full achievements in a single run - has anyone done a level 1 insanity build? I've beaten insanity a couple of times but I was always at least level 50 when I did so.

Can you even reach max level in one playthrough of the first game? They may have rebalanced the XP but thinking about all the weapon kill challenges and companion challenges seems like it'd spill over into at least two.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought insanity was locked until you'd done one playthrough, or have they changed that

They have - everything is unlocked from the start.

Wolfsheim posted:

Can you even reach max level in one playthrough of the first game? They may have rebalanced the XP but thinking about all the weapon kill challenges and companion challenges seems like it'd spill over into at least two.

Yeah we don't know how the rebalanced XP will shake out, but there doesn't seem to be a max level achievement. 'Kills' are now across all 3 games (easy peasy) and the companions are only 'complete 5 missions' with them. This may be a hurdle - if they only count main missions then it will be impossible to get all 6, if they count basically any 5 missions then it will be pretty easy to get as well. There are also 'use x power 25 times' achievements but one of the devs has said on reddit that ordering a squadmate to use that power will also count now meaning that with swapping around companions for their particular achievements will also make that doable.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Well now my xbox is downloading a 20gb file for this. Which is odd as I thought the install was about 80gb?

Day one patch maybe?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DourCricket posted:

They have - everything is unlocked from the start.

Yeah we don't know how the rebalanced XP will shake out, but there doesn't seem to be a max level achievement. 'Kills' are now across all 3 games (easy peasy) and the companions are only 'complete 5 missions' with them. This may be a hurdle - if they only count main missions then it will be impossible to get all 6, if they count basically any 5 missions then it will be pretty easy to get as well. There are also 'use x power 25 times' achievements but one of the devs has said on reddit that ordering a squadmate to use that power will also count now meaning that with swapping around companions for their particular achievements will also make that doable.

I mean.... your best bet is gonna be to use a lot of biotics and try keep the enemy off their feet as much as possible.... but it is gonna be an absolutely grueling slog. Doable? Maybe. But you will hate the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the important thing to do is take every Renegade interuppt the series presents from 2 onwards.
You're working too hard

I know it probably hurts my Paragon rating and maybe locks me out of some full paragon dialogue options or whatever but being a paragon in conversations but taking renegade interrupts with enemies is the most satisfying thing. It makes me feel like I'm playing Arnold in an action movie.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Does anyone know if this will have mod support? Are there even any worthwhile mods to consider now that the games will have improved graphics/gameplay?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not out of the box with old stuff, but it's still UE3.

Many modders will port their stuff for sure.

bagrada posted:

There's no preorder goodies right? I'm trying to decide where to buy it on PC. Greenmangaming has it for $52 I think but for Origin only. Otherwise its just a choice between giving your money to Gabe or EA I guess.

Not for PC.

Bestbuy has a steelbook and Gamestop has a poster but only the console versions are available in physical format.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think Renegade probably works best first because once you've gotten to know and like the characters, it's harder to be such a dickhole to them.

StarBegotten posted:

Well now my xbox is downloading a 20gb file for this. Which is odd as I thought the install was about 80gb?

Day one patch maybe?

Probably, because the actual preload only goes up Wednesday.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ginette Reno posted:

I know it probably hurts my Paragon rating and maybe locks me out of some full paragon dialogue options or whatever but being a paragon in conversations but taking renegade interrupts with enemies is the most satisfying thing. It makes me feel like I'm playing Arnold in an action movie.

The paragon and renegade scales are completely separate from each other so the only way this hurts your paragon score is if you take a renegade interrupt that locks you out of a paragon action

All games with a morality system should do this btw because being a paragade loving owns

Some days the unimpeachable hero of the galaxy is in a bad mood, and you happen to be standing in front of a large glass window several thousand meters above sea level between said hero and where he/she needs to be. It happens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not in 2. They're actively fighting each other in 2. 2's system is "Of all the opportunities your current progress in the game has made available to you (even ones you haven't taken yet but can at the moment), what percentage did you pick that were Paragon/Renegade?". That brackets part means that when you set foot in a new hub (say the first time you land on Illium) your score takes a fall because all these new opportunities for points have appeared that you haven't taken yet.

It really only matters for Jack/Miranda though. You can end up triggering that kind of early and if you don't have enough to settle it on the spot recovering the one you disagree with needs a very high percentage of Paragon or Renegade.

You can still take the Renegade interrupts and have enough Paragon left over for that, but you need to be thorough and if you did a few too many Renegade dialogue options or even neutral ones you might not pull it off.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 10, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Aw what, I don't remember them fighting each other in 2. Lame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah in 2 it's an opportunity based system. It's actually a 3 way fight between Renegade vs Paragon vs Neutral responses when you had the option of Renegade vs Paragon. With a run-in by 'opportunities that exist but you haven't yet taken' holding a steel chair.

In 1 and 3 they're just bars, and 3 goes a step further and works off a generalized reputation score raised by any response for most things.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 10, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it's possible to reach level 60 in a single playthrough of ME1 and I might have even done it, but it requires you to do things like exit the Mako to kill every Thresher Maw and Geth Prime on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One of the changes they announced for LE is that you no longer get diminished experience for Mako kills, so unless they did an EXP rebalance to accommodate for that hitting level 60 shouldn't be too painful.