Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I vote aye.

Have we been able to make any decent waiver wire acquisitions?

e: And man, our payroll must be like $30m. Monty Burns is smiling up at us.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Yeah, do the deal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Do the deal.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Noo I wanted the Bashbino

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

I vote aye.

Have we been able to make any decent waiver wire acquisitions?

e: And man, our payroll must be like $30m. Monty Burns is smiling up at us.

Yes! Grayson Rodriguez, a solid RHP, just joined us from Boston. He...steps in as our #2 starter. lol

Our payroll with Grayson is $39 mil, which as you might expect, is last in the league. The Rays were behind us, but they recently traded for some expensive vets (Trevor Story and Pete Alonso) and so now we're back in "the lead" as it were.

Rays are pretty crazy -- they had close to $30 mil in excess budget, but STILL traded what looks like future Hall of Famer Wander Franco, even though he was only 25 and could've been signed for a reasonable shorter term extension and presumably contributed big time to whatever rebuild they wound up with.

RAYS

Also we did the deal for Medellin; he winds up platooning with Nunez and will probably have a shot at the starting job next season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2027 Postseason
74-88, .457. 4th Place, AL West

League News

The Rockies and Orioles win their divisions!

Jarred Kelenic has a season to remember.

Both Chris Sale and Gerrit Cole suffer career ending injuries in the fall.

The Mariners chose to resign...Kyle Lewis...instead of Kumar Rocker. He's set to hit the free agent market in the winter and will surely sign the biggest deal of all time.

Update: never mind, they got it done! and for not that much money either: 6/160.

Mariners and Yankees meet in the playoffs AGAIN. This time the Bronxers win, only to be SWEPT BY THE ORIOLES in the ALCS who were then ALMOST SWEPT BY THE CARDINALS in the series.

Team News

Well, we managed to be completely non-competitive, but also not secure a top draft pick (I think we'll be drafting between 8 and 10).

We sign Carson Kelly to a minor league deal, then promote him once we traded Soderstrom.

Some good news on the prospect front: both Tommy Coressel and Josh Gibson had solid campaigns; both got nice bumps from Pete as well. Coressel's fastball now rates as a big plus, and Gibson wrecked AAA through the fall. He's still raw behind the plate, but his batting numbers are getting mouthwatering: 331/398/558 over 171 PAs in AAA.

Julio Gonzalez puts together a really solid season for us. He's looking like a solid #2 type for the forseeable future.

Other bright spots are Leody Tavares, who refused to resign with us, and our defense; the best in the AL.

Jose Canseco retired after the season ended.

Larry Burns, when reminded he owns a baseball team and given a check for roughly $40 million for this season's profit, was heard to say "I own a baseball team? Hey hey, that's great! Now who wants to party??!?"

This offseason will be busy.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 8, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
We didn't even lose 90 games. That's pretty impressive.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We didn't tank hard enough y'all. Prospects don't just grow on trees.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

rickiep00h posted:

We didn't tank hard enough y'all. Prospects don't just grow on trees.

Once the game starts generating a fair number of players into the draft, a really good scout will generally guarantee you a strong player in the 1st round regardless. Top 10 won't get us the generational talent, but still probably a 3-4 WAR bat or glove who's only a year or two away from the majors.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

There's also the expected OOTP mechanic boost (though your players can tank in hilarious ways), and you can typically pick out the 45/50-esh player who with a boost across the board is going to turn into a major contributor.

For SP you want to focus on dudes who can throw hard with passable control and more than a couple of pitches (4+)

For position players usually high contact + good speed + glove. One of the weird vagueries of OOTP is you can have a player that the game rates as below replacement banging out 4.0 war seasons if they're built right.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since Tavares refused to resign I assume that means he re-signed on a pretty good deal for us? That's awesome!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

One of my favorite things about OOTP compared to Football Manager is that sometimes players can just randomly get really good out of nowhere. I had a player in a recent save who got drafted in the 21st round win MVP. Its rare but it can happen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2027-2028

Well, at least our owner was happy with how the season went!

Jesus Galiz won a gold glove at catcher! Good for him! Even more surprising, Jordan Thompson beat out Bobby Bats for GG at 3B!

Erik Rivers and SINNER went 1/2 in reliever of the year.

J-Rod won another Silver Slugger.

Wacky Jack won his fourth Cy Young. Julio Gonzalez finished second!

Kelenic won his fourth MVP.

We allow our manager to sign a new bench coach. He chooses Go Kuroki, a 5'2" Brazilian guy coming over from Minnesota. Owns.

Nothing too shocking in arbitration. We...decline to pay Nunez $14m+ for negative WAR play.

Roster Strategy

From where I sit, we have a huge decision to make here -- do we push for a wild card spot next season, or do we keep cycling through younger players looking for longer-term potential?

We have a small fortune in available budget: nearly $100 million. From where I sit, in order to meaningfully compete for a WC spot, we need, at a minimum:

- A quality 3B. It is great Thompson won a gold glove, but a 76 OPS+ ain't gonna cut it in this division. Gunnar Henderson looked alright in 184 PAs, but doesn't look like a long-term plus player.

- A quality 2-way outfielder. Hudson Head and Brayan Buelves exceeded all expectations last year, as did Tavares. Their defense is poor though, and between them they only hit 17 dingers. We need a COF with both a glove and a power bat.

- At least one quality SP -- assuming Coressel makes the big league rotation out of spring training. Coressel might struggle a bit with his command (his BB/9 last year was 4.2 in A+/AA) but the stuff is clearly there. If he isn't ready, then we'll need a 2/3 starter and a 3/4 starter at a minimum.

- At least one quality bullpen arm. Our pen was actually decent last year, but very top heavy -- and we lack that go-to high leverage guy.

So, if we're going to go in this year, we have some work to do. If we decide to hold off another season, I feel like we can more or less roll with our current roster, avoid any long-term entanglements, and set the stage for next season.

In addition to Coressel, we'll need to make a decision on Josh Gibson. He was brilliant last season in AAA, but is still VERY raw behind the plate, and his power numbers haven't really jumped out yet like we thought they would. Catcher is definitely not a position of need - we can just sign a veteran backup in the spring -- but if we're going to make a playoff push, we need his bat at full throttle.

First, we have an incredibly exciting free agent SP:

There's not much not to like about this guy, aside from having only 3 pitches. Durable, good leader, lefty, only 27...he'll command a huge contract (think in the vein of 8 years/240 mil). We can afford a huge contract, though. From where I sit, if we're gonna make a push next season, this guy is one of the keys to it.

Next, we have this guy:

"Captain Taiwan" indeed. He projects as an elite closer, and he's Dutch, and he's only 5'9". 3-4 years and $10m AAV should do it.

These guys together would really help solidify the pitching staff, but if we spend that money, we're locked in...no more tanking.

At 3B, there's a few good free agent vets out there -- Bregman and Gavin Lux -- and a lot of middling guys with breakout potential. Nolan Jones is probably my favorite -- he could hit 30 dingers with average defense for around $4 mil a year.

OF is rough aside from Riley Greene - he's a legit superstar, but will command $35m+ AAV. He's...basically Dodgers/Yankees fodder. The tattered remains of Aaron Judge are out there also...he's 35 and very injury-prone, but he also put up 4.4 WAR in 548 PAs last year and could be had on a short-term deal with some incentives built-in. I bet we could swing a 2 year/$20m AAV deal with a TO or two. To be honest, I'd like to see what a giant righty power bat could do in our park, but there's a decent chance he hurts himself in the spring and all that money goes to waste.

3B and OF we could also go dumpster-diving again. Pete kind of missed with his two guys last year (Locklear was alright I guess) but let's not let that dissuade us. We really don't have the player capital to go after any blue-chippers, so it'll be scouring the minors for us again.

We also need to hire a new hitting coach.

Ben Johnson is only 38, but has 7 years of minor league experience including the last 4 at Oklahoma City. He's regarded as an elite developer of young hitters and has an amazing track record.

Darrell Whitmore is a veteran coach who gets the most out of everyone, and has helped several guys remake their swing to big improvements at the plate.

VOTE

Do we try and compete this year?

1) YES. We can win 85 games! Maybe!
2) NOT YET. We'll get there, but there's no need to rush this thing. Let's lock in another year's worth of prospects and push next year.

Do we sign any big money free agents? 1 and maybe 2 are borderline mandatory if your first answer was "YES."
1) SLIDER
2) CAPTAIN TAIWAN
3) SOME VETERAN 3B
4) Aaron Judge, I guess?

or do we:

5) Dumpster Dive

and finally, hitting coach:
1)Johnson
2) Whitmore

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 9, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, and bad news: it turns out our tantalizing Dominican prospect Felix Lopez lied about his age, and no one (including us and Pete) thought to ask any questions when a 6'6", 215 lbs 16 year old showed up and started blasting the ball into orbit. He's actually...18.

This isn't the end of the world...he still projects really well and looks like a tremendous athlete. He was just an 18 year old playing with 16 year olds, and...it showed. This drops his projection to 3 stars and drops him out of the top 100 prospects (he was #6 overall) but he still has major league potential.

On the plus side, he'll be in rookie ball this season, so we'll get to see him a few years sooner!

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 8, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
VOTE

Do we try and compete this year?

2) NOT YET.
This isn't a vote to tank, per se, just, I don't see the opportunity with the assets available. I think locking ourselves into some of the only things we could grab could be too much risk for dubious reward. That said:

Do we sign any big money free agents? 1 and maybe 2 are borderline mandatory if your first answer was "YES."
2) CAPTAIN TAIWAN
Just looks really valuable. Two pitches, but they're two very good pitches.

or and do we:

5) Dumpster Dive
And this seems like it's worthwhile regardless.

and finally, hitting coach:
2) Whitmore
Seems to better suit our current needs; if I'm reading the updates correctly, we have guys that are sort of young, but should already be hitting better.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Ask pete if there are any tantalizing 3/4/5 SP's for cheap.

You can often find a solid middle of the rotation guy coming off a bad injury who's willing to sign a 3-4y/10m contract.

e: i ask because my take is probably to tank, but start to fill in the back-end of the rotation in order to push next season or the season following.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

One of my favorite things about OOTP compared to Football Manager is that sometimes players can just randomly get really good out of nowhere. I had a player in a recent save who got drafted in the 21st round win MVP. Its rare but it can happen.

Talent in OOTP often feels a little bit too deterministic, but I've appreciated that they've gotten better at both good players fading away and not living up to their potential and bad players suddenly hitting a AA renaissance.

The other thing is that good coaches will often give a boost across the board as your players climb the ladder (For those of you who don't know, OOTP rates most stats on a 0-250 basis. Good "mechanics" coaching will often bump up each major category by around ~10 points. This can turn a 5 dinger guy into a 15 dinger guy, for instance, so its a valuable boost.) and people who are just on the edge of viability "talent-wise" turn out to be really solid MLB players with good coaches.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

High Work Ethic and Intelligence are extremely valuable because it makes it much more likely that a top prospect will reach their potential and it makes it more likely that a middling prospect will get a big ratings boost.

If you're drafting a aways draft high work Ethic and Intelligence guys.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

High Work Ethic and Intelligence are extremely valuable because it makes it much more likely that a top prospect will reach their potential and it makes it more likely that a middling prospect will get a big ratings boost.

If you're drafting a aways draft high work Ethic and Intelligence guys.

I have no idea if there's a certain personality type (intelligent v high work ethic, etc.) that makes a pitcher more likely to pick up another pitch, but it feels like that would be the most valuable if there was a meaningful effect there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Not Yet, Dumpster Dive, and the first guy (Johnston?)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

rickiep00h posted:

Not Yet, Dumpster Dive, and the first guy (Johnston?)

Looks good to me..

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Spring Training 2028

We had a VERY busy spring. So, buckle up.

We decided to put off a serious push until next season. This means a lot of heavy lifting gathering prospects and pre-arb guys that will be useful to us in the 3-5 year time span. And so, off Pete went to the territories.

We got some decent deals this winter, kid.

Our HUGE TRADE and primary target was a kid named Gabe Briggs.

He fills a number of needs for us: outfield glove, RH power bat, team leader. He's also the #18 overall prospect, so bringing him over took a lot of doing.

We basically had to send the Nationals a ready-made outfield: Brayan Buelvas and Hudson Head (our two best remaining players, both 100% retained salary), solid SP prospect Tim Bacon, and former 7th overall pick Joe Rivelli. It was a lot to give up, but Briggs looks like a superstar in the making and should be ML-ready next season.

We did get them to throw in a talented young reliever in Jose Chambuco.

Up next, we dealt for passed-over veteran Hayden Leatherwood. See if you can guess what Pete liked in this guy:

Leatherwood has a plus-plus name tool as well; he's older, but should be a solid big leaguer for at least 4-5 more seasons. We also got a solid young COF bat in Ed Cardenas, in exchange for a nothing COF bat in Bobby Zmarzlak and middling pitching prospect Arturo Arreola.

This next trade broke my heart a bit, but it probably needed to happen.

KEN SHANK offers a plus name tool and huge right hand power/OBP combo. He's a 1B-only glove which reduces his value a lot, but the bat should be worth it -- he's done nothing but rake in the minors so far and also looks to be ML-ready next season.

This trade broke my heart because the Brewers demanded Bultossa Siwazuri as a part of the deal, which means we gave up a kid who will likely be Ethiopia's (presumably) first major league ballplayer. We did get them to throw in a young bullpen arm in Joel Harris, who we've been in love with since scouting him with the Mariners last season.

And then, a couple of pitcher deals. We were looking for pre-arbitration back-end starters who had 4 useful pitches and a decent injury history. We found a couple:

Ryan Johnson was an afterthought for the Tigers despite having triple digit heat and 4 solid pitches -- we snag him for B outfield prospect Ezequiel Guevara.

And finally, Wesley Scott has a killer slider and was more or less free.

In Rule 5, we snag Alexander Canario, who is nothing more than a plugin the COF for this season...probably.

We lose Jack Leftwich for the season in the spring; noo

Much to their irritation, we send down Josh Gibson and Tommy Corsessel; they're both probably ML-ready, but we're in no big hurry right now.

We sign veteran defensive wizard catcher Ali Sanchez to be our backup catcher for a season.

Opening Day Lineup

1. Jordan Medellin, SS
2. Hayden Leatherwood, LF
3. Tyler Locklear, 1B
4. Reggie Crawford, DH
5. Alexander Canario, RF
6. Livan Soto, 2B
7. Ali Sanchez, C
8. Tatum Mash, CF
9. Jordan Thompson, 3B

Jesus Galiz, C
Tommy Troy, 2B/SS
Gunnar Henderson, 1B/3B
Junior Perez, OF

1. Julio Gonzalez
2. Brady Tygart
3. Grayson Rodriguez
4. Ross Carver
5. Logan Gragg

Jack Perkins (CL)
Jose Chambuco
Brody Brecht
Connor Hegan
Ryan Johnson
Sam Bello
Wilny Moron
Christopher Soriano (L)

Our staff actually looks pretty solid, as does the top....4 of our order, and potentially our defense. Still some HUGE holes though. We're predicted to win 70 games, and I think we'll be drafting #8 overall.

The good news: our offseason wheeling and dealing landed us the #1 farm system, including Coressel (7), Briggs (18), Shank (54), SS Ramon Barcia (64), and SPs Joe Bradley (66) and Jeff Critz (78). Note that this does NOT include Josh Gibson.

Our payroll is #30 in the league by a mile. Even maxxing out our scouting and developmental budgets, we're still fully $50 mil under the bar. Mr. Burns must be loving it.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2028 MLB Draft
32-53, .376, 5th Place, AL West

Holy hell if we didn't have a fine spring: we were tied with the M's for first place in the division at the end of April, and above .500 until mid-May. By draft day we've been hit hard by injuries (including a season-ender for Connor Hegan) and slumps and find ourselves resting comfortably at the bottom of the AL...except for the Rays, who seem hell bent on being unbelievably bad (note: we're giving them a run for their money: going into the draft, we'd lost 8 in a row).

Real bad news: we get an update on Tommy Coressel from Pete, and he doesn't like what he sees: velo down to 96-98, potential down from 5.0 to 3.0, and drops to #105 on the prospects list. Ouch.

Better news: we land Luis "T-Bone" Salazar as our international signing. He's a plus-plus contact hitter with some good wheels; his glove isn't great though, and he projects as a COF or...maybe a DH? The contact hitting numbers made him worth it, hopefully he'll develop a bit defensively. He enters the system as the #42 overall.

This is a SP-heavy draft. Like, the first 7 picks were all pitchers.

We're drafting #8 overall.

Here are the contenders:

Edgard Clemente Jr. Solid all around bat, decent COF defense.

Ed Cornish. Very nice bat, potential plus power and a plus glove probably in right field. Very raw, however.

Ron Lichtenberger. Big time power potential and plus glove at 3B; very raw, especially for his age, and contact hitting is a concern.

Jon Taylor. Nicely polished COF power bat with a huge arm. Destroyed good college competition. Number 1 on the OOTP scouting board.

Sean Janitz. Excellent college arm; would like to see more polish at his age but the talent is outstanding.

VOTE

This has even more weight now that our #1 overall pick last year is not looking much like a franchise savior.

1. Clemente
2. Cornish
3. Lichtenberger
4. Taylor
5. Janitz

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

5. Janitz

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just noticed in the last two of those I had switched the scouting report over to the OOTP scout rather than our scout. if it's important to anyone to see Pete's report on either of those guys let me know and I will post them later.

there probably won't be a huge difference, but Pete tends to be a lot more stingy handing out stars to draft prospects than the generic scout, just in case that is significantly influencing anyone.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Taylor

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Janitz

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Let's not overthink this, Taylor

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Taylor

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That is a massive hit to potential, holy poo poo. This happened in my 2K file where one of the guys we drafted had 99 and by the time he left the team, I want to say his potential had dropped to about 79, and that's without me tweaking with potential on my file.

As much as I'd be tempted to do the whole smooth recovery thing, we don't want to be stuck in a loop of drafting the same position over and over again forever---I also sort of know how that goes.

Anyhow, Taylor both fits a need and seems to have fallen into our lap. Let's not get fancy.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Thordain posted:

Let's not overthink this, Taylor
This.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Def Taylor

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Another vote for Taylor!

If we decide to make a push next season, let's dangle Tommy Coressel at the rate he's developing. Maybe look into our minor league coaching staffs if we need to make some upgrades.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We take Jon "Corn" Taylor with the 8th overall pick, and offer him his bonus demand with the stipulation that he legally change his first name to "corn."

So, soon we'll see Corn "Corn" Taylor prowling right field in the Jack.

With our second pick we snag Greg Colarusso, a college pitcher who can touch 99 and has four useful pitches. He'll need some time to marinate but he has a lot of potential.

Kaden White is our 3rd rounder; he's only 17 and SUPER raw, but has a potentially plus OF glove along with a 70 contact and 55 power tool, so nice glove/bat combo to find that late.

As for Tommy Coressel, there's no shortage of interesting offers. Here's a few, mostly centering around 3B type prospects that are ML-ready or very attractive projections.

Troy Bell (3.0/4.0) is an absolute all-world 3B glove with a pretty solid bat alongside. He was a bit of a slow burn entering the league but his glove/power combo is elite, and he's ML-ready now. He could potentially covert to be a quality SS also -- his glove is that good. BA/OBP will be a shortcoming.

Mike Masibuwa (1.0/3.0) is an interesting case. He's very raw -- still in rookie ball -- but his bat projects to elite, and he has the defensive tools to be either a plus 3B or a plus OF -- in any position. He's the #100 overall prospect, which is very low for how he projects, but he's probably a solid 3 years out.

Juan Ordaz (1.5/3.5) is an elite power/contact bat and will be a decent defender at 3B. He won't walk much, but 30 HR/300 BA is within easy reach. He's 22 and still has plenty of development left to go though, especially his power.

Billy Beck (2.5/3.0) was sort of ruined by the Red Sox, but has looked great in a season and a half of ML time despite their screwing him around. He's a very good bat -- a 900 OPS is no exaggeration -- and a switch hitter, with about an average glove at 3B.

Note that all of these possibilities are Coressel PLUS a prospect of value.

VOTE

Do we want to cut bait on Coressel? He still projects as a solid 2/3 guy, but his trade value is probably a bit higher than his ability at this point. If we want to trade him, now is definitely the time. Or, we could hold onto him and see what happens -- he's probably about as good as he's going to get, and he's still an elite young arm.

1. Bell
2. Masibuwa
3. Ordaz
4. Beck
5. Send Pete out to scout some other position. SP and 2B are the only real holes we have in the organization other than the big one at 3B.
6. Keep him and see if he can turn it around.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 10, 2021

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Right now, 6, but see what changes in the off-season. Maybe he can still bounce back a bit? If not, we can see what we can get if we decide to make a step forward.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not feeling any of those right now. Might end up eating some trade value for keeping him this year, but probably better to see if we can turn him around a bit and fish around again in the offseason.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

1. Bell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
keep him, i don't think we're getting value off the trades and we shouldn't be unloading prospects of value imo

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offseason 2028-2019
66-96, .407, 37 games back, 5th Place, AL West

League News

Matt Olson challenges for another HR title. Fine.

Dan Quisenberry establishes himself as an elite...starter? Anyway, his legendary control finally exerts itself.

Mariners and Yankees play AGAIN in the playoffs. Mariners win this one. They go on to beat the Twins in the ALCS and the Cardinals in the WS. Benny the Jet wins the WS MVP.

Bennie and Bobbie win gold gloves, as expected.

SINNER Konishi wins Reliever of the Year after an absolutely dominant season.

Lou Marson wins Manager of the Year.

Wacky Jack wins ANOTHER Cy Young. Count them: 5.

J-Rod suffers a severe concussion -- his 3rd. His career may be ending soon, at age 27. :(

Team News

We hold onto Tommy Coressel.

Felix Lopez, despite his advanced age, destroys A-ball. Gabe Briggs and Ken Shanks all look ML-ready after outstanding minor league seasons.

Julio Gonzalez misses some time...always concerning. We call up Joe "LAWDOG" Bradley (#74 overall), a big right hander who has developed VERY nicely over the last 2 seasons.

LAW DOG

The Red Sox come sniffing around our solid SS prospect Ramon Barcia. After some hard negotiations, we finally land what looks like our potential long-term 3B -- Billy Beck by tossing in a couple of middling pitching prospects. Barcia is a good prospect, but we have a lot of decent looking young shortstops, and Beck is a very exciting young 3B. The only hangup here is he might play us out of a few draft pick spots.

We're destroyed by injuries late in the season. Leatherwood, Sanchez, and Marsh are all hurt in the same week in August; all are out for the season.

DISASTER. Julio Gonzalez's heroic UCL gives out. He's gone for 14 months. Just brutal.

September is just a mess. I don't even know who half these guys are. Fan interest stays steady though! As does attendance, for some reason.

Jesus Galiz wins another GG at catcher.

We finish with the 3rd worst record in baseball -- so, #3 pick next season! The Indians lose their last 7 consecutive games to "clinch" the "top" spot.

We see fan loyalty DROP down to "average."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

e: I'm sorry I can't hear the fan loyalty dropping because I'm too busy rolling around in my giant vault of money that they're giving me every year

Schnorkles fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 10, 2021