Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Who wants a little White Wolf history, re: Demon the Fallen?

lololololooooooolllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The RPG version of the Mars Climate Orbiter

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My koldun was screwing around with ley lines in his bid to control a caern and use it to make magically enhanced vitae (which he was successful in doing!) and in the process made contact with a Zmei. Of course his first thought (once he could use his brain again) was "hot drat, that would make an amazing base for The Greatest Vozhd Ever™!" So now we're on our way through the Kievan Rus to track this thing down and get me some parts, if I can't somehow blood bond this thing.

This is definitely a good idea that will have no repercussions. :tif:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can't see anything going wrong from trying to make a giant vampiric monster out of a satanic dragon

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I liked his post further down.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

Who wants a little White Wolf history, re: Demon the Fallen?

lololololooooooolllll

A similar thing happened to drafts I wrote at least twice--once in the other Demon, once in Hunter: the Vigil 1e.

In Demon: The Descent's Cover rules, there's a bit talking about "see the five questions on p. (whatever, I'm not digging out the book to look up the pagination) for guidance in determining what counts as a compromise based on your Cover identity." The page ref pointed back to some questions in the Cover rules themselves that concerned who knows or suspects something about your Cover identity, which led to a lot of people mistakenly assuming that, like, just playing the game (i.e. doing literally anything even remotely out-of-character for, say, a suburban dad was a compromise). When I wrote those rules, though, the intent was still to present the Integrity rules for human characters, albeit in abbreviated form, in the core rules chapter, and it was those questions the rules were supposed to point you to: basically, if an act would be a breaking point for the person you were pretending to be, it would be a compromise for you. But at some point late in development, the Integrity rules got cut for space, and instead of rewriting that bit of the Cover rules, whoever did the final development pass just stuck a page ref to the wrong thing in there.

In Hunter, I wrote most of the Endowments, including a gizmo for Task Force: Valkyrie called "The Bleeder," which used microwaves or some poo poo to cause vampires to violently expel blood, costing them Vitae. Again, at the time I wrote the draft, the various monsters were still using unique "fuel stats," albeit again very simplified--so I included a sidebar on how it could be field modified to make other monsters bleed their supernatural fuel stats, but not Willpower. But again, late in development that changed to "all monsters use Willpower to fuel their powers," and an over-rigorous use of find-and-replace left the final weapon causing Willpower damage (which incidentally made it much more powerful, since WP ratings are generally much lower than Vitae pools), which could be modified to affect Willpower or Willpower, but not Willpower.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For the folks who dig Vampire: The Eternal Struggle the new KS just launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vtes/vampire-the-eternal-struggle-unleashed?ref=ksr_email_user_watched_project_launched

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GimpInBlack posted:

In Demon: The Descent's Cover rules, there's a bit talking about "see the five questions on p. (whatever, I'm not digging out the book to look up the pagination) for guidance in determining what counts as a compromise based on your Cover identity." The page ref pointed back to some questions in the Cover rules themselves that concerned who knows or suspects something about your Cover identity, which led to a lot of people mistakenly assuming that, like, just playing the game (i.e. doing literally anything even remotely out-of-character for, say, a suburban dad was a compromise). When I wrote those rules, though, the intent was still to present the Integrity rules for human characters, albeit in abbreviated form, in the core rules chapter, and it was those questions the rules were supposed to point you to: basically, if an act would be a breaking point for the person you were pretending to be, it would be a compromise for you. But at some point late in development, the Integrity rules got cut for space, and instead of rewriting that bit of the Cover rules, whoever did the final development pass just stuck a page ref to the wrong thing in there.

Goddammit lol

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GimpInBlack posted:

In Hunter, I wrote most of the Endowments, including a gizmo for Task Force: Valkyrie called "The Bleeder," which used microwaves or some poo poo to cause vampires to violently expel blood, costing them Vitae. Again, at the time I wrote the draft, the various monsters were still using unique "fuel stats," albeit again very simplified--so I included a sidebar on how it could be field modified to make other monsters bleed their supernatural fuel stats, but not Willpower. But again, late in development that changed to "all monsters use Willpower to fuel their powers," and an over-rigorous use of find-and-replace left the final weapon causing Willpower damage (which incidentally made it much more powerful, since WP ratings are generally much lower than Vitae pools), which could be modified to affect Willpower or Willpower, but not Willpower.

I love the microwave willpower gun.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Just for context, this are the expansions created by the player's community as "printable expansions" during the time Vampire: The Eternal Struggle was dead and were made official by Black Chantry but never had an official physical release until now. Also they are gonna update a lot of the artwork because some were fan made and a bit bad.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Camrath posted:

Reluctant player.

Sorry about the old post, what if you gave them a mini-zoo to look after and placed that under regular violent threat. Claim the cairn is needed to act as a battery for some of the habitation, something. Otherwise, yeah, they're probably just loving with you.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kurieg posted:

I love the microwave willpower gun.

My favorite will always be the Goddamn BEES, but I also have a fondness for the blood microwave.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I can't see anything going wrong from trying to make a giant vampiric monster out of a satanic dragon

The Gang gets a Dragon.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

joylessdivision posted:

The Gang gets a Dragon.
It's Never Sunny in Prague

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

I was going to make that joke but with Transylvania but I couldn't remember where the game was actually set.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How does the Thin-blooded Alchemy work in V5? Do you have to get clan specific blood samples for different disciplines, or are the requirements kinda vague?

I'm starting to like the idea for a character of a Thin-Blooded Kiasyd/ Maeghar who started off as an alchemist and in modern times works remotely as a freelance chemist for Pharmaceutical companies/ Foundations.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 10, 2021

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TulliusCicero posted:

How does the Thin-blooded Alchemy work in V5? Do you have to get clan specific blood samples for different disciplines, or are the requirements kinda vague?

I'm starting to like the idea for a character of a Thin-Blooded Kiasyd/ Maeghar who started off as an alchemist and in modern times works remotely as a freelance chemist for Pharmaceutical companies/ Foundations.

Yeah that idea would definitely work.

Thin-bloods have 2 different systems going for learning disciplines.

First, feeding. When they feed, they pick 1 dot in a discipline associated with the victim's resonance, and a single 1-dot power. Stronger resonance gets a second dot and second power. It lasts until the next feeding or they reach Hunger 5, which at most might stretch for a few days but probably less than a night if active.

So if a thin-blood character is planning a sneaky scene, they can seek out melancholic blood first from a depressed grad student (intense resonance) and get Obfuscate 2, Silence of Death, and Cloak of Shadows. None of those powers take rouse checks to function, so the character could possibly keep them for a few nights of surveillance.

Then there's Alchemy. Classical potion brewing is a thing. You can counterfeit actual disciplines, at an Alchemy level 1 higher than the discipline level. So you could get Protean's feral claws via Alchemy 3. But these get learned like blood sorcery rituals, so it gets expensive in XP. No clan blood or vitae (besides your own) required. There are limits on how many potions you can carry (highest of wits/dex) and store in the haven. So a gangrel with claws can do it whenever they want (Hunger permitting), but an alchemist with it would probably would keep 1 dose 'just in case'.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yawgmoth posted:

I would no joke watch a series like this

ritorix posted:

Yeah that idea would definitely work.

Thin-bloods have 2 different systems going for learning disciplines.

First, feeding. When they feed, they pick 1 dot in a discipline associated with the victim's resonance, and a single 1-dot power. Stronger resonance gets a second dot and second power. It lasts until the next feeding or they reach Hunger 5, which at most might stretch for a few days but probably less than a night if active.

So if a thin-blood character is planning a sneaky scene, they can seek out melancholic blood first from a depressed grad student (intense resonance) and get Obfuscate 2, Silence of Death, and Cloak of Shadows. None of those powers take rouse checks to function, so the character could possibly keep them for a few nights of surveillance.

Then there's Alchemy. Classical potion brewing is a thing. You can counterfeit actual disciplines, at an Alchemy level 1 higher than the discipline level. So you could get Protean's feral claws via Alchemy 3. But these get learned like blood sorcery rituals, so it gets expensive in XP. No clan blood or vitae (besides your own) required. There are limits on how many potions you can carry (highest of wits/dex) and store in the haven. So a gangrel with claws can do it whenever they want (Hunger permitting), but an alchemist with it would probably would keep 1 dose 'just in case'.

Thank you! I also noticed the description of Thin Blood Alchemy was "make entirely new abilities/ disciplines". Are there parameters for how that works, or does it mean like the pre-assigned "you make a haze!" In the book?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TulliusCicero posted:

I would no joke watch a series like this

Isn't that just What We Do In The Shadows?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I forgot how inconsistent the early timeline of the Accordance War was. Utter pain in the rear end to try and piece together properly with some of the irreconcilable differences.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I got siezed by an unexplainable urge to read the Gehenna novel, and I was surprised by the fact that it was a. Actually not terrible and b. A surprisingly relevant metaphor for Boomers' reaction to climate change. Staking and draining younger vampires to try maintain your rapidly-fading power isn't a subtle metaphor, but I didn't think it was so obvious even in 2003.

I'm not sure if I want to read the Werewolf TOJ novel (I got about 10 pages in and the rad 90s racism was a bit too much), but I might give the Mage one a shot.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Mage one is by Bruce Baugh and is supposed to be fairly decent.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

The Mage one is by Bruce Baugh and is supposed to be fairly decent.

Huh, I read some of his stuff while I was at Uni. Had no idea he also wrote about wizards, that rules.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

cptn_dr posted:

Huh, I read some of his stuff while I was at Uni. Had no idea he also wrote about wizards, that rules.

Tragically, different dude. But don't worry, in the next few years I should have a published book on post-anarchist legal theory and a published book about vampire wizards so soon the dream will be real.

Also the Werewolf one is pretty poo poo so don't bother. Mage's one is actually pretty great, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While there's not much info on it as of yet, there's going to be a Woof The Apocalypse boardgame coming to KS soon: https://www.werewolftheapocalypse-retaliation.com/

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Does anyone here still play this? Is it mostly played physically like with this kickstarter, or is there a digital presence? I used to enjoy the original Jyhad, it was the only CCG besides Magic that saw play in my remote neck of the woods when it was new. I'll have to poke around tonight and see what I can turn up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bagrada posted:

Does anyone here still play this? Is it mostly played physically like with this kickstarter, or is there a digital presence? I used to enjoy the original Jyhad, it was the only CCG besides Magic that saw play in my remote neck of the woods when it was new. I'll have to poke around tonight and see what I can turn up.

Yes. It was mostly played as physical, because a sizeable portion of the community are reactionary shitheads too attached to their fancy cardboard and honestly the digital alternatives were not great. And suddenly, Covid happened, so people were forced to migrate to digital for the time being until the sanitary situation improves enough to be able to gather together without risk of death.

There're two platforms to play on, Lackeyccg and Tabletop Simulator, the former being the most popular one, by far, due to being free and it's easier to tell what's going on, even with its horrible UI. Nowadays there's a very active community playing online, with games firing pretty much every day and regular tournaments each week.

Check the semi-official discord, people plays there regularly: https://discord.gg/2APEW34p

There's also national discord servers, some are really active. Also, if you are a long-time returning player, you should check the Vekn homepage: https://www.vekn.net/ and Black Chantry's https://www.blackchantry.com/.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes. It was mostly played as physical, because a sizeable portion of the community are reactionary shitheads too attached to their fancy cardboard and honestly the digital alternatives were not great. And suddenly, Covid happened, so people were forced to migrate to digital for the time being until the sanitary situation improves enough to be able to gather together without risk of death.

There're two platforms to play on, Lackeyccg and Tabletop Simulator, the former being the most popular one, by far, due to being free and it's easier to tell what's going on, even with its horrible UI. Nowadays there's a very active community playing online, with games firing pretty much every day and regular tournaments each week.

Check the semi-official discord, people plays there regularly: https://discord.gg/2APEW34p

There's also national discord servers, some are really active. Also, if you are a long-time returning player, you should check the Vekn homepage: https://www.vekn.net/ and Black Chantry's https://www.blackchantry.com/.

Thanks, I'll check those out, we've got regular other games going on Tabletop Sim since the pandemic. I'll also have to see what cards I left in my parents attic next time we visit.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

For the first time, I summon Mage chat.

I've borrowed from Mage lore here and there over the years when running Vampire, Werewolf, Hunter, etc. but I've never actually PLAYED Mage and had to grapple with it's mechanics. A buddy of mine who's a long time ST is wanting me to join in a M20 game he's planning and I want to go ahead and start tinkering with a character build. If I were to want someone who's main THING is loving around with probability, what do I need to be looking at?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DantetheK9 posted:

I've borrowed from Mage lore here and there over the years when running Vampire, Werewolf, Hunter, etc. but I've never actually PLAYED Mage and had to grapple with it's mechanics. A buddy of mine who's a long time ST is wanting me to join in a M20 game he's planning and I want to go ahead and start tinkering with a character build. If I were to want someone who's main THING is loving around with probability, what do I need to be looking at?

Entropy is the main "luck" magick Sphere, though do keep in mind that your paradigm can flavor other Spheres as involving luck.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Be prepared to write your own mechanics because Entropy as presented is pretty sparse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DantetheK9 posted:

Entropy is what you want for pure probability loving. Do you want to do anything in specific on a regular basis, like (for instance) 'luckily' destroy things/dodge bullets, 'luckily' escape people's attention, etc.?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Personally, my mage characters love to reach behind an object and "luckily" find a loaded gun.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Personally, my mage characters love to reach behind an object and "luckily" find a loaded gun.

Just the security checkpoint at the start of the Lobby Scene from the Matrix, all the time, to the point it becomes worrying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

Just the security checkpoint at the start of the Lobby Scene from the Matrix, all the time, to the point it becomes worrying.

"Luckily there's a bluetooth speaker system in this room and luckily my phone auto pairs to it and luckily i just happen to have Propellerheads queued up in my playlist and Luckily-"
"Please stop."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DantetheK9 posted:

Coincidental magic works by your specifying a possible end-result and that end-result just spontaneously manifesting in the scene. What end-result you can summon is based on the Spheres you know, and your explanation for why it occurred comes down to your belief system.

So, your friend has gotten beaten up. A Chorister prays over him, and by the end of the prayer your friend feels good enough to stand and get back into the adventure. The Chorister claims that he's summoned down the healing power of God, but you might say, bullshit, he just had time to catch his breath there, maybe felt inspired by your prayer. What's actually happened is the Chorister used a coincidental Life effect to, I don't know, heal some bashing wounds, reduce your friend's wound penalty, I forget exactly what game-mechanical effects are available.

If, instead of the Chorister, it was you, you might wave an instrument over your friend and explain that you've now ensured that every single blood cell and platelet relevant to his recovery is now going to drift exactly where it needs to go on its first try rather than just get swirled around towards the bruised tissue at random over time, and indeed your friend might realize he's suddenly gotten his second wind. As with the above example, it's not quite possible to disprove you, even though what you're saying sounds like bullshit, because the results of your magic look an awful lot like something that would've happened regardless. Either way, you, too, have just used a coincidental Life effect.

As others have mentioned, Entropy specifically affects luck, probability, and decay, but in kind of abstruse ways whose overlap with other Spheres is nebulous.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Nessus posted:

Entropy is what you want for pure probability loving. Do you want to do anything in specific on a regular basis, like (for instance) 'luckily' destroy things/dodge bullets, 'luckily' escape people's attention, etc.?

Cause a chandler to just happen to come loose, a car door closing to just happen to produce enough of a spark to ignite the gas pump, someone's pacemaker to just happen to short out....

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DantetheK9 posted:

Cause a chandler to just happen to come loose, a car door closing to just happen to produce enough of a spark to ignite the gas pump, someone's pacemaker to just happen to short out....
Matter, Forces, Forces/Life unless it's some kind of exposed visible Iron Man pacemaker. All of them along with Entropy.

I would go with Entropy 3, Prime 1, and Forces or Matter 2, with an eye towards getting the other one up with freebie points. Alternately, Entropy 3, Prime 1, Forces 1, Matter 1, with a general eye towards being able to indirectly do explosion/break down stuff by spotting the weak points, in whatever manner fits your dude's paradigm. (Prime 1 lets you use Quintessence much more readily and if you want to throw around a lot of magic you want a little of it.)

One thing to keep in mind with Mage 20, at least, is that these things are not generally going to be "direct attacks," they're going to be more like dumb complex tricks you can pull off very easily.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Entropy primary with matter and forces basically makes you Michael Weston from Burn Notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

How about Nate Ford? What do I need for that?