Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Does Gigabyte still do the bait and switch thing where they let a product get reviewed, then quietly downgrade it (e.g. with weaker VRMs) afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
More great news https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/Taiwan-drought-at-most-critical-phase-for-chip-sector

quote:

Taiwan drought at 'most critical' phase for chip sector

President Tsai calls for conservation in hard-hit semiconductor hub Taichung

TAIPEI -- Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen on Tuesday called for more water conservation as the island's chipmaking industry faces the worst drought in nearly 60 years.

"Now is the most critical period for dealing with the drought," Tsai said on a visit to the hard-hit city of Taichung, a production hub for Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., the world's largest contract chipmaker, as well as liquid crystal display manufacturers. The two industries consume large amounts of water.

Taichung has suffered the worst of a dry spell that has emerged as a threat to Taiwan's semiconductor device production. A global chip shortage has already taken hold owing to high demand, which has pitted car companies against makers of consumer electronics for output from TSMC, South Korea's Samsung Electronics and small number of other producers.

Tsai described the situation as "very serious."

The volume of water at two major dams in the Taichung area has fallen to around 5% capacity. The Ministry of Economic Affairs instituted a water ration on April 6, which required companies to reduce water usage by 15%.

As an emergency measure, there are plans to dig 58 wells within Taichung by the end of the month, which are supposed to provide 65,000 tons of water a day. Another 30 wells are forthcoming next month, supplying 50,000 tons of water daily. Some households in the city have had their water supply shut off for two days a week.

TSMC and other companies have taken matters into their own hands by transporting water from reservoirs in other parts of the island using tanker trucks. This is the first time TSMC used water tankers since 2015.

But this approach is not sustainable. Each truck carries 20 tons of water, but TSMC uses nearly 200,000 tons of water every day. As a long-term solution, the company is building a water recycling plant in the city of Tainan.

Some hope the rainy season, which normally arrives in May and June, will bring relief. A repeat of last year's dry conditions would put further strain on the chipmaking industry.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well when it rains it… well poo poo…

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

It looks like something that would get rejected from a 2001-era Big Dogs t shirt

listen, bud

America DESERVED the gpu shortage

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

listen, bud

America DESERVED the gpu shortage

please president biden. save america. Invoke "P".

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

haha holy poo poo electronics are just going to keep skyrocketing in price

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also nothing can be stupider than “Republic of Gamers” and the dumbshit Bad Boy-esque “frowning eyes” logo they’ve got

It looks like something that would get rejected from a 2001-era Big Dogs t shirt

Frowning eyes? I always thought it was a missile.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Craptacular! posted:

Frowning eyes? I always thought it was a missile.

according to Asus, it’s a mask, and also a highly stylized “G”

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Imagine not pledging allegiance to the Republic of Gamers and the TUF Ultimate Force for which it stands

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Bring back Rock Solid, Heart Touching

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shipon posted:

Bring back Rock Solid, Heart Touching

I always liked this too

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also nothing can be stupider than “Republic of Gamers” and the dumbshit Bad Boy-esque “frowning eyes” logo they’ve got

That's what that is?!? What the gently caress

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
The GPU situation is so intolerable with no end in sight that I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy a full pugetsystems build in a few months.

Didn't want to have to buy a whole new prebuilt PC just to get the GPU I need for professional animation work, but that's what it's coming down to.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacedad posted:

The GPU situation is so intolerable with no end in sight that I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and buy a full pugetsystems build in a few months.

Didn't want to have to buy a whole new prebuilt PC just to get the GPU I need for professional animation work, but that's what it's coming down to.

the market has more or less entirely prebuilds and scalpers, and prebuilds are getting more expensive all the loving time compared to RRP. so long as it doesn't have lovely proprietary parts and good warranty support it's a fine choice

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

Holy poo poo, I never would have known that it was this.

I have a X470 ROG board to put up on SAMart soon, and when I do, I'm going to reference the creepy eye now!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’re saying what it is, and I can see the G, but I don’t see the mask at all

I always assumed it was arbitrary lines

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
see?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sweeper posted:

You’re saying what it is, and I can see the G, but I don’t see the mask at all

I always assumed it was arbitrary lines

assume you're looking at a face head-on:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's some Persona 5 poo poo

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Oh I saw mask and though it would cover… more? It’s more like eye shadow

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i swear allegiance to angry potato luchadore

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
My old graphics card, which was the least egregious gamer-bro branding out there, was still called the XFX THICC III.

It had gold bits on the fans though. But it's why I like the reference cards. None of that gamer grub teenage boy nonsense. The new Nvidia FEs look especially nice.

Secretly still pine for the days where graphics cards looked like this though. Give me an entire motherboard with a CGI goblin and/or fairy woman emblazoned across the PCB:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Grumbles posted:

My old graphics card, which was the least egregious gamer-bro branding out there, was still called the XFX THICC III.

It had gold bits on the fans though. But it's why I like the reference cards. None of that gamer grub teenage boy nonsense. The new Nvidia FEs look especially nice.

Secretly still pine for the days where graphics cards looked like this though. Give me an entire motherboard with a CGI goblin and/or fairy woman emblazoned across the PCB:

I would love a return to this or a way to get custom sheets to add.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

I am Sir Richard Thicc III

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Vintersorg posted:

I would love a return to this or a way to get custom sheets to add.

Graphic backplates have been a thing forever, for some reason my FB and Instagram feed is full of ads for them

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

:mods: untagged goatse!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

THICC and FATBOY at least tell you immediately that it's a three slot card

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

SourKraut posted:

Holy poo poo, I never would have known that it was this.

I have a X470 ROG board to put up on SAMart soon, and when I do, I'm going to reference the creepy eye now!

I refer to it as the scooby doo monster eyes. My hate for gamer aesthetic grows as I age.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I see a whale

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

all the graphics cards brands have dumb as poo poo product line names. what the gently caress is an AORUS? or a VENTUS? or a STRIX? lol evga literally gonna call your cards FTW? what is this, 2003?

My favorite is probably MSI branding their GPUs as Suprim because they seemingly couldn't get a native English speaker to tell them how it's actually pronounced vs Supreme :D

mA posted:

Given that Gigabyte has arguably the worst customer service/RMA reputation out of all AIBs, I sense many tears from anyone who buys that system and has to utilize the warranty.

I'm glad that back when one of the three fans on my Windforce 7970 stopped working I could just contact the shop I bought it from and they had me send in the card for a full refund (even after ~2 years of use).

Bofast fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 10, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Bofast posted:

My favorite is probably MSI branding their GPUs as Suprim because they seemingly couldn't get a native English speaker to tell them how it's actually pronounced vs Supreme :D

Presumably that's just to avoid any kind of trademark dispute or brand confusion with Supreme. Especially now that both brands cater exclusively to scalpers waiting in line for drops at short notice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grumbles posted:

Presumably that's just to avoid any kind of trademark dispute or brand confusion with Supreme. Especially now that both brands cater exclusively to scalpers waiting in line for drops at short notice

picturing a Supreme-collabo 3080Ti selling for $20k

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
For all the love eVGA gets in the customer service department, trying to RMA a dead out-of-the-box b stock 2060 has been a pain in the rear end.

You have to register the product with an invoice and then create a service ticket, then after two days, the service ticket is approved. This doesn't allow you to RMA you have to create an RMA ticket from the service ticket number with the same information and then upload your invoice again. Now I'm waiting for the RMA to be approved. All for the pleasure of paying to ship a dead card back to them.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

mysteryberto posted:

For all the love eVGA gets in the customer service department, trying to RMA a dead out-of-the-box b stock 2060 has been a pain in the rear end.

You have to register the product with an invoice and then create a service ticket, then after two days, the service ticket is approved. This doesn't allow you to RMA you have to create an RMA ticket from the service ticket number with the same information and then upload your invoice again. Now I'm waiting for the RMA to be approved. All for the pleasure of paying to ship a dead card back to them.

Call them instead. My 3080 bricked during the VBIOS/rebar update. I called them and they approved my RMA immediately. Their online platform moves a bit slower in comparison

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah call if you can. They should still have stateside call centers and the hold times shouldn’t be a problem. Last I called was pre pandemic pre crypto insanity though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
EVGA definitely still has stateside call centers so you won’t have any weird audio delays or other issues to contend with, and will likely be speaking with a fellow dweeb. I was recently working with them to swap out a power supply and they were very helpful in escalating the ticket and got things moving immediately.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
are there any gpu recommendations for a mini-server? ideally 2GB GDDR5 or similar, and NVENC/NVDEC or AMD equivalent support.

I have weird requirements of a <180W power supply, no additional power connector, low profile single slot height card, and a small heatsink. couldn't get a GT730 to fit in it because the fins were too tall - there is almost no clearance past the card.

there's a hilarious youtube tutorial about putting gloves on and just taking a knife and bending or prying the passive heatsink fins sideways, but .. lol

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 10, 2021

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think you need an Nvidia 1030 or better to do h265, I'm using a gtx750ti which doesn't. There's a matrix on nvidia's site that breaks it down.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
h264 / 1080 is more than enough for this use case

I have a gt730 but it's a weird thing - every gt730 i've seen in store has been DDR3 and does not support even a single nvenc channel. this particular one clearly says gt730 (not gtx), has gddr5, and supports nvenc 1 channel - it is not listed on the matrix at all. I'm uncertain why or how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'd recommend just using an Intel CPU with Quicksync since getting even garbage GPUs is a pain right now.