Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

funniest part is that It was a good answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

It was literally the first question in the entire debate. Like hi, I'm your moderator, here's the format, first question goes to Governor Dukakis, how would you react if your wife was raped and murdered?

LMFAO

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/1176258790225797120?s=21

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lmao whom did this

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Lmao whom did this

arf jason

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Lmao whom did this

here’s the thread it came from

probably the best burn this site ever spawned

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idgi :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a poster made a huge farewell post as they left for an off-site, only to come right back again later

this is analogous to the video game Hades, where the player-character keeps coming back, because it is a roguelike, where repeating the game over and over is a part of the gameplay loop (and specific to Hades, is part of the plot, since the character is a Greek (demi?)-god)

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, reminded me of the Jesse Ventura v Chris Kyle saga

Dude just ripped kyle’s legacy to shreds, really fantastic work

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tim Apple

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i feel like he would've been vindicated if he'd rushed that dude's table and slammed his head against it for such an offensive question, it was the 80s after all

Feels like that would've been the only response that wouldn't have destroyed his political career tbh

It's a "have you stopped beating your wife yet" level of loaded question where every answer you give will make you look like poo poo.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The Starbucks CEO coming out of the woodwork to test the waters and run a sham centrist platform to implicitly threaten the left. I don't know if it was directly from this, but around that time there was an effort to coin the phrase "person of means" instead the more derogatory "wealthy person". Just a big campaign that the rich are Americans with feelings, too.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
But theres too much BLOOD ON THE KNOB

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The Starbucks CEO coming out of the woodwork to test the waters and run a sham centrist platform to implicitly threaten the left. I don't know if it was directly from this, but around that time there was an effort to coin the phrase "person of means" instead the more derogatory "wealthy person". Just a big campaign that the rich are Americans with feelings, too.

also when people would interrupt him while he was speaking and he seemed totally flabbergasted by it, as though it had been decades since anyone around him had done anything but kiss his rear end

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tiny Rachel

e: this was only in 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Spergin Morlock posted:

also when people would interrupt him while he was speaking and he seemed totally flabbergasted by it, as though it had been decades since anyone around him had done anything but kiss his rear end

It's always funny when a person of means is confused when people who have no connection to their means whatsoever have no interest in being polite to them, proof money rots your brain

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched this documentary in the cinema while being the only person there.

Easily one of my best movie experiences.

Content: SNL's unintentionally hilarious RBG Rest In Power tribute.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Private Cumshoe posted:

It's always funny when a person of means is confused when people who have no connection to their means whatsoever have no interest in being polite to them, proof money rots your brain

I’m like 99% sure this is what led to Gianaforte body slamming that reporter

But I guess that ended up working out for him anyway

loving billionaires

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Private Cumshoe posted:

If you aren't maintaining a several megabyte large spreadsheet of everyone who has ever wronged you so you never forget to take revenge, are you really an elite?

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 17:26 on May 10, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fortaleza posted:

Jesse Ventura did more to tarnish the reputation of the seals than any journalist in the last ever years

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This reminded me of the time he decided that what would make racism better would be for everyone to have a discussion of racism with their Starbucks barista every time they went in for a coffee.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
palmer luckey meme financier

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

vyelkin posted:

It was literally the first question in the entire debate. Like hi, I'm your moderator, here's the format, first question goes to Governor Dukakis, how would you react if your wife was raped and murdered?

lol jesus christ, good evening to you too, Bernie.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bored Online posted:

palmer luckey meme financier

this reminds me his sister is dating matt gaetz. lol what a family

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Eat This Glob posted:

this reminds me his sister is dating matt gaetz. lol what a family

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"Compassionate Conservatism"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Animal Friend posted:

"Compassionate Conservatism"
condoleezza rice telling literally the whole world to kiss america's foot or suffer the consequences

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Gazpacho posted:

condoleezza rice telling literally the whole world to kiss america's foot or suffer the consequences

so that's where Gaddafi got it...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gazpacho posted:

I could see this figuratively but I'd like to know the exact context so I can laugh harder

Private Cumshoe posted:

so that's where Gaddafi got it...

lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

I could see this figuratively but I'd like to know the exact context so I can laugh harder
just after 9/11, when she said that all countries are with the US or against it. that's how I remember it anyway. Doesn't show up in the press conferences, maybe it was on a sunday show

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

quote:

Chevron takes 'Condoleezza Rice' off the seas
Published: May 08, 2001 00:00 Reuters

Energy giant Chevron Corp has redubbed an oil tanker originally named after U.S. national security advisor Condoleezza Rice, a former board member, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday.

Chevron renamed the tanker the "Altair Voyager" in April after public watchdog groups said its original name highlighted the close ties between the Bush administration and the energy industry, the newspaper said.

A Chevron spokesman told the paper the decision was made "to eliminate the unnecessary attention caused by the vessel's original name." The spokesman would not comment on whether the White House or Rice requested that the oil tanker be renamed.

Rice, a former Stanford University provost, was a Chevron board member from 1991 until January 15, when she resigned after President George W. Bush, a former Texas oilman himself, appointed her as national security advisor.

Chevron's operations in more than 20 countries on six continents also raised questions about possible conflicts of interest for Rice, despite assurances from the White House and Rice that she would recuse herself from any decisions related to the company.

Chevron officials said in April the company has a history of naming vessels after members of Chevron's board, including former Secretary of State George Shultz and the late David Packard, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard, the computing and imaging solutions company.

A Chevron spokeswoman said the tanker had been named the "Condoleezza Rice" in 1993.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahaha please tell me they named it back

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ogibWCNKI

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

Chris Kyle was all set to be a loving golden idol for the conservatives till he basically self fragged by deciding that taking traumatized mentally unbalanced vets to a gun range for therapy was a good idea.

It's amazing he published a book where he completely libeled Jesse Ventura, and then proudly bragged about killing civilians in a disaster zone and suffered little to no consequences while alive.

quote:

Following the allegations, Ventura denied the incident had happened or having ever met Kyle. Ventura filed a lawsuit in January 2012 against Kyle for charges of defamation, appropriation, and unjust enrichment.[36][37] After Kyle was killed the following year, the lawsuit was transferred to Kyle's estate.[38] On July 29, 2014, the jury returned a recommendation of 8 to 2 that Kyle was liable to Ventura for defamation and unjust enrichment, but not appropriation. The jury concluded that the Kyle estate owed Ventura $500,000 for defamation, and $1.34 million for unjust enrichment. The district judge, who rendered the final judgment, said that there was "substantial evidence" that supported the jury verdict.[39][40][41]

Kyle's widow appealed the verdict on behalf of Kyle's estate.[42] Attorneys for Kyle's estate asked the appeals court to throw out the verdict or at least order a new trial because a lawyer for Ventura told jurors that the $1.8 million judgment would be paid for by Kyle's book publisher's insurance policy, not his estate.[43] In June 2016, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit threw out the $1.8 million in part due to the revelation of the insurance policy by Ventura's attorneys to the jury. The $1.35 million in "unjust enrichment" was overturned and dismissed as being inconsistent with Minnesota law. The $500k defamation suit was remanded back to trial.[44][45] In December 2017, the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount.[46]

The case dragged on for 4 years after his death because Ventura was going to absolutely make sure any time it ever came up everyone knew that Chris Kyle was a lying piece of poo poo.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

pentyne posted:

Ventura was going to absolutely make sure any time it ever came up everyone knew that Chris Kyle was a lying piece of poo poo.
Motherfucking o7. I want him to challenge Tim Walz to trial-by-combat for the governorship.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ventura crazy as hell but that particular aspect of him owns.

The fake baby arm in American sniper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
would unironically vote for that Jesse Ventura/Cynthia McKinney green party ticket for prez that was on Alaska's ballot in 2020 for some reason