Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Painted my first mini in three years:

The color scheme is still a work in progress (the purple definitely needs to be redder and the green maybe a little less saturated) but I'd love any comments on how to improve my shading and highlighting or any other aspect.

(Also the basing is temporary until my grass flock arrives, although I don't hate how it looks now -- I'm hoping to achieve a sort of "forest floor" look.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
has anyone made a figure case like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKg8oPF4xfk

If so, say you're a canadian and cant buy the specific sheets he names. What is a good substitute?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

has anyone made a figure case like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKg8oPF4xfk

If so, say you're a canadian and cant buy the specific sheets he names. What is a good substitute?

I did and the sheets didn’t actually work great for me, I even bought the ones linked. The models do sit on it, so it’s okay for storage, but they kinda slide around, I had slightly more success with ferro-foil/iron-foil, ie thin whiteboard you can stick magnets to. The magnetic sheets Duncan uses are magnetic, but ferro/iron foil is what you stick magnets to and it also comes in a4 size. However I still wouldn’t use it for transport. The best thing I found was buying a thin metal sheet and using metal shears to cut it into appropriate sizes (goonhammer has an article with this), but I did get unbelievable sharp metal splinters everywhere, including a half an inch one stuck in my foot. I saw someone suggest that metal shingles (roof tiles) are amazing and available at hardware stores, but i haven’t been able to find any around here in Europe, neither online nor in stores.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Working on a new kill team. I wonder if it's clear what the scheme is based on?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Reminds me of the sentry turrets from Portal

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Tau really need some head vulcans

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Get a metal baking tray. I went to target and bought the cheapest one that the magnets would stick to. Bonus is that i can take it out and move everything at once.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

a pale ghost posted:

does Vallejo not sell paints directly from their website?

Honestly it's hard for me to understand how in 2021 a company like Vallejo doesn't do direct sales. I understand that their business model relies on channel partners and distributors, and that's perfectly fine for brick & mortar stores, but why not make money by selling online and cutting the middle man? Sure dealing directly with customers is annoying but they could use a third-party for that, or create a separate company/entity.

I'm lucky to have a shop 20 minutes from where I live that stocks the full Vallejo line-up, but it's closed during the pandemic, so instead I bought everything from GSW online instead.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

Get a metal baking tray. I went to target and bought the cheapest one that the magnets would stick to. Bonus is that i can take it out and move everything at once.

Yeah, baking trays are great, the only problem is finding one that fits perfectly in a box. If you’re going to tournaments, having the tray is actually extremely nice, so you don’t have to pack the army up and out again every time you shift tables. You can also skip the box all together and get a deep baking tray with a plastic lid. I have four of those and they work perfectly for everything up to the height of a killer kan with its arms up in the air. I can squeeze two vertically next to each other in a big backpack for transporting. Cheap and incredibly secure transport and storage with the right magnets.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, baking trays are great, the only problem is finding one that fits perfectly in a box. If you’re going to tournaments, having the tray is actually extremely nice, so you don’t have to pack the army up and out again every time you shift tables. You can also skip the box all together and get a deep baking tray with a plastic lid. I have four of those and they work perfectly for everything up to the height of a killer kan with its arms up in the air. I can squeeze two vertically next to each other in a big backpack for transporting. Cheap and incredibly secure transport and storage with the right magnets.

That's the perfect solution really. I couldn't find anyy with covers so I went around the store sticking the tray into boxes until I found one that fit. Its really big so I can actually make some tiers inside using L brackets or hooked eye bolts or whatever to get other trays to stick inside.

So yeah, a metal tray that has a cover is ideal. Or a thin box.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Do you guys ever have problems with the magnets in the bases? Like do figures stick to each other or repel each other on the table? Or do they stick/attract other unintended things?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I also had trouble finding neodymium magnets in Canada, and just got some ones off amazon that seemed close enough. I hope.

I bought some magnetic sheets and also had some issues with getting the magnets to stick so metal shingles seem like a good fix, you should be able to get them at any Home Depot. That being said I think you guys sold me on baking trays, hopefully they fit in the boxes I bought.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can get baking sheets, strong magnets AND plastic bins with lids at Dollar Tree, so check your local DT before shelling out more money than you need to.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Dreylad posted:

I also had trouble finding neodymium magnets in Canada, and just got some ones off amazon that seemed close enough. I hope.

The best source of different sized magnets for me is AliExpress. You get like 100 magnets for say $4 with free shipping.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
frost grave soldier

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Did you freehand the heraldry? It looks fantastic

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Did you freehand the heraldry? It looks fantastic

yes, and thanks! been thinking about what ridiculous heraldry from my home state of TN might look like

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Sorry for the sloppiness, I can't stop my hands from shaking but I'm pretty proud of this canoness

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Flavius Aetass posted:

Sorry for the sloppiness, I can't stop my hands from shaking

Put the model and the camera on a table.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

Sorry for the sloppiness, I can't stop my hands from shaking but I'm pretty proud of this canoness

Looking good.

As far as hand shake goes, here's some vids with protips on how to prevent/mitigate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhDhQZDlNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The best source of different sized magnets for me is AliExpress. You get like 100 magnets for say $4 with free shipping.

Awesome, thank you!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flavius Aetass posted:

in addition to the videos Andy E suggested, get some kind of painting handle if you don't have one already

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
X-post from 40k thread

Eej posted:

Finally settled on a colour scheme for Sisters now I'm ready for the Nundam

My first time using Static Grass. Extremely doubtful about the advice of "you don't need a static thingy for miniature bases" maybe I just need to commit to it and Add More Grass to compensate for the flattened ones.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished another couple of BattleMechs.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Looking good.

As far as hand shake goes, here's some vids with protips on how to prevent/mitigate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhDhQZDlNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

Thanks so much!

Cat Face Joe posted:

in addition to the videos Andy E suggested, get some kind of painting handle if you don't have one already

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you recommend one for me?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Flavius Aetass posted:

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you recommend one for me?

a block of wood or a wine cork with some double sided tape on it is your cheapest solution.

A good solution that doesn't require much building is the GW one

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Outi...20529223&sr=8-1

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
I was into Warhammer when I was young, though I never really painted anything and mostly just read the lore and built a small number of models, and decided to get back into the hobby during the pandemic. I decided that Imperial Guard was the way to go, and to build out a few kill teams and come up with a build order that'd let me introduce some friends to the game through that when circumstances will finally allow, but I just managed to finish up the first squad in my army. I did a Chaos cultist beforehand so they'd have something to fight (and to actually get a handle on how to paint things), along with some terrain, but this feels like my first big step forward.

I decided to go with some models from Wargames Atlantic with some GW parts thrown in to give my regiment a WWI look to go along with the general aesthetic of the tanks, and tried to make them a hybrid of British, French, and German troops. The models themselves already had the French look to them, so I painted them up in British uniform colors and their Adrian helmets in a sort-of Prussian-looking black and gold. I don't have any real experience painting, so I'm pretty proud of how they turned out.

(This one was taken before basing)

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 9, 2021

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

a block of wood or a wine cork with some double sided tape on it is your cheapest solution.

A good solution that doesn't require much building is the GW one

https://www.amazon.com/Citadel-Outi...20529223&sr=8-1

If you take medication, a pill bottle (2/3rds full of fishing weights or quarters or whatever just to give it some weight to protect from accidental jostling) and some poster tac can also work quite nicely, and if you happen to accumulate a bunch the same size, the interchangeable caps can make it easy to assembly line stuff.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you need an empty pill bottle just ask a pharmacist for one. Unless it's different where you live we don't care about giving away vials worth like 3 cents or whatever

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

Eej posted:

My first time using Static Grass. Extremely doubtful about the advice of "you don't need a static thingy for miniature bases" maybe I just need to commit to it and Add More Grass to compensate for the flattened ones.

Have you tried pre-made grass clumps?

These ones are by Gamers Grass but there's a few different manufacturers. They come in different sizes and colours and you just stick/glue them on to the base.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Eej posted:

With loose grass like this, I found the best way to use them (without an applicator) is to put the glue on the base where you want the grass clumps and then cover the whole mini in static grass up to their knees. Wait a couple of seconds than turn the mini upside down and tap off the excess. It will look better, and will be a much easier procedure.

I made myself a static grass applicator from an electric fly swatter and some metallic tea strainer, but found that it works best with terrain and bigger bases. Its just not really useful on 25-32mil bases, at least for me.

Also try getting some tufts as others suggested, they are amazing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Some more Malifaux!

3 "Crooked Men" (zombie miners)

A Reva Cortinas starter box. Not gonna lie, I'm quite pleased with how Reva herself turned out (the woman on the horse)

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painting with a Zorn palette, inspired by Vincent Venturella's latest video.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
No more 'Mechs from me for a while, but I'm pretty pleased how these came out.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
making and painting old school banners is a lotta fun.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
On movement tray chat, I've found this to be the absolute best option out there, if you can find it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004PGL4DC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's cheap, durable, and stacks well, with a locking lid and handles that lie down flush. The only issues I ever have with minis moving are when a magnet comes off of base.

Also, a tip I've found useful is that if the magnets are too thin or sit too high up on the inside of the base to get a good grip, roll a little ball of modeling clay, smush it under the base, stick the magnet into it, and then push it down on a flat surface to make sure it's flush with the bottom of the base. This ensures that the magnet is always as close as possible to the metal, giving you the best grip.

Eej posted:

That looks like pretty long static grass, maybe 4mm or even longer? I'd recommend using 2mm in the future -- all you need to do is blow on it once you've sprinkled it onto the base and it'll stand up fine.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Latest WIP of my big boi who has at no point taken any action that could be construed as wrong.

So the wings, skin and armour (except on his horns) are all done. Time consuming but definitely the most rewarding model I’ve been painting to date.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Painting with a Zorn palette, inspired by Vincent Venturella's latest video.

Awesome, I know Zorn since I am from his area but didn't know about the palette. How to achieve much with limitations. Pretty cool.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
The Lichemaster
Repainted my old Heinrich Kemmler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I need new brushes but I don't like going inside stores anymore. Is there a set someone could recommend?