Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Endless Mike posted:

The original Transformers miniseries came out before the TV show, so all the character designs were based on their toys, rather than the TV models that in at least some cases didn't match the toys at all. Ironhide, for instance, was drawn to look like this:

I had that one, or something similar. I recognize the missile launcher in his chest (surprisingly we still had the missile when he went to the thrift store after high school) but I think it went on an arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Endless Mike posted:

The original Transformers miniseries came out before the TV show, so all the character designs were based on their toys, rather than the TV models that in at least some cases didn't match the toys at all. Ironhide, for instance, was drawn to look like this:

Ironsides was the first transformer toy I got as a kid, it confused me and pretty much turned me off from transformers for quite awhile.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zereth posted:

There's a like, 60% chance they looked normal before Stardust got to them.

True, its also likely that in the next few panels they were all merged into one person so the artist only had to draw one character.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

robziel posted:

Gi Joe is very educational

I really need to reread this again.
I love how the Baroness is all "FOR COBRA" and the mook is just in it for money and wanting to live to spend that money.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

the don rosa scrooge mcduck comics are genuinely one of the highest-esteemed and liked series out there

I met him at a con and bought a couple prints of the blueprints for Scrooge's mansion and money bin which he signed for me. Also while we were talking someone walked by and pointed and sang part of the Duck Tales theme and he muttered angrily under his breath.

Do not sing the Duck Tales theme to Don Rosa.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Push El Burrito posted:

Also while we were talking someone walked by and pointed and sang part of the Duck Tales theme and he muttered angrily under his breath.

I'll kid you not but I think that was some dude purposely trolling. Don Rosa has spoken fairly often against DuckTales -- plus, how Disney mistreated him and Barks -- and the online fandom is aware of it.

The man has retired years ago due to bad cataracts and now focuses on farming (if you are curious about the basket).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was put off by that sign when I first saw it at a con like fifteen years ago, but I’ve gotten a lot more sympathetic to it over the years.

Personally though, the Ducktales theme song is a work of art.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Don Rosa is very odd though, in that it seems like if Carl Barks didn't do something with the Ducks, he doesn't acknowledge it as acceptable. So it's a little less "Don Rosa hates what they did in DuckTales" and more "DuckTales wasn't done by Carl Barks or Don Rosa, and is thus unacceptable".

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
"Yeah, Donald Duck, Scrooge, whateve... HOLY poo poo CHILES!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That NES Capcom was also great. I’m part of the problem, i guess.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Open Marriage Night posted:

The moon theme is one of the greatest songs of all time.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Kurui Reiten posted:

Don Rosa is very odd though, in that it seems like if Carl Barks didn't do something with the Ducks, he doesn't acknowledge it as acceptable. So it's a little less "Don Rosa hates what they did in DuckTales" and more "DuckTales wasn't done by Carl Barks or Don Rosa, and is thus unacceptable".

Is Daan Jippes any good? Beyond Barks and Rosa, he's the only duck artist I've heard of. The few samples I've seen didn't really click for me, but I'm always up for more ducks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Esplanade posted:

Beyond Barks and Rosa, he's the only duck artist I've heard of.

That's a crime, but not too surprising. Beyond those two you want to look into Romano Scarpa. He's a legend in European Disney comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURNyBGEVfc

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I want to buy peppers from Don Rosa.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, do you get a free chili with an autograph or something? Has anyone sown a rich field of Duck Peppers?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There was a second one that no one played that's nearly as good.

It's part of the Disney Afternoon Collection if you feel like playing it legally and with a handy rewind button.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Don Rosa was at the last show I went to pre-covid and I'm still kicking myself that I forgot to bring some of my 80s Gladstone duck comics from childhood for him to sign.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How Wonderful! posted:

I want to buy peppers from Don Rosa.

Ok, he'll draw up a bill.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

CannonFodder posted:

I love how the Baroness is all "FOR COBRA" and the mook is just in it for money and wanting to live to spend that money.

That's cause Baroness is in it for ideological reasons and Firefly is in it for the paycheck.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

hiddenriverninja posted:

The moon theme is one of the greatest songs of all time.

They brought it back (repeatedly) for season 2 of the 2017 show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1VemwbO9Bw&ab_channel=ArtsyDucks

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Space Squadron #3 (1951)

(And reading right to left)

Digimon Next (2005)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Don Rosa is a fantastic artist and storyteller and also a horrible canon nerd.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
in his defense from what i remember of (the first) ducktales they didn't give a poo poo about the comics he'd worked on so i can imagine it rubbing someone the wrong way

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

I also like Firefly's policy of "I might do this for you and I might not. But your money is more or less lost now anyway".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

I also like Firefly's policy of "I might do this for you and I might not. But your money is more or less lost now anyway".

Look, they have a problem with how you do the job they can just not hire you next time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Look, they have a problem with how you do the job they can just not hire you next time.

If Cobra Commander wasn't someone who made bad business decisions, he would have succeeded as a used cars salesman.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Question IRL posted:

If Cobra Commander wasn't someone who made bad business decisions, he would have succeeded as a used cars salesman.

By all accounts Cobra Commander was a successful used car salesman. It was the business end of the business he wasn't that great at.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Apologies for the lack of issue numbers on these ones, i downloaded them as I was reading and foolishly forgot to note which ones they were.

X-Men:

13 year olds do not have great fashion sense

Havok knows how to pose

Dazzler:

Interesting euphemism

I'm amused to no end by the idea of her lasering folks to Whip It.

And some ads, featuring erudite Hulk and respected sportsman OJ Simpson

Daktar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 10, 2021

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Daktar posted:

13 year olds do not have great fashion sense

Eh, it's no worse than some of Wasp's costumes, and she's supposed to be a professional fashion designer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I dunno what you're talking about, every single one of these is a banger.

https://13thdimension.com/the-crazy-costumes-of-kitty-pryde/

Am I too old to say "banger"? I feel like I am.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Esplanade posted:

Eh, it's no worse than some of Wasp's costumes, and she's supposed to be a professional fashion designer.

That's not the worst costume Kitty Kate has made for herself, by a long shot.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Uthor posted:

I dunno what you're talking about, every single one of these is a banger.

https://13thdimension.com/the-crazy-costumes-of-kitty-pryde/

Am I too old to say "banger"? I feel like I am.

I'm in my 30s and we used to say that in primary school so you're probably okay grandad.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm in my 30s and we used to say that in primary school so you're probably okay grandad.
Hopefully Uthor isn't saying that Kate's costumes are sausages.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

In that issue they end up in some fantasy world, so it really was appropriate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FFT posted:

Hopefully Uthor isn't saying that Kate's costumes are sausages.

I'm saying they make Kate look like she's part of a Warriors style gang.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Uthor posted:

I'm saying they make Kate look like she's part of a Warriors style gang.
Considering what I've seen lately it's more of a

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FFT posted:

Considering what I've seen lately it's more of a

RU-FI-OOOOOOOO!

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Her current look is very strong

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

flatluigi posted:

in his defense from what i remember of (the first) ducktales they didn't give a poo poo about the comics he'd worked on so i can imagine it rubbing someone the wrong way

He also went anti-ducktales-2017 kinda automatically which is a pity because they've done a lot of stuff honoring his stuff and working his Life and Times of Scrooge into the backstory of Scrooge on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

He also went anti-ducktales-2017 kinda automatically which is a pity because they've done a lot of stuff honoring his stuff and working his Life and Times of Scrooge into the backstory of Scrooge on the show.

OK this is off-topic but I think he probably would've preferred to have been properly compensated for his work back in the day to being "honored" in a kids' TV show.