Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Even then, later suits that keep the tri color scheme do tone it down. The Mk II from Zeta is a lot more muted with off-white, navy blue and darker crimson to imitate a more military style. I may be wrong on this but I don't think any of the tomino shows until Victory used the exact same color scheme as the original. And the Victory Gundam was specifically an in-universe effort to invoke the hope and fear the original RX-78-2 brought.

yea they use similar color schemes to invoke the legendary gundams and all but they actually do a really good job muting them and making them more realistic. They don't go back to the bright 'parade colors' until Victory and that is, as you said, very explicitly in-universe about invoking the RX-78-2.

Wing's 01W is probably my favorite 'main character gundam' because of that feel of evolution. It's still super like the 78-2, hell even MORE anime bullshit with a literal shiny green gem in the middle and a way more defined samurai helmet style head and all, but because they use a darker white and that really nice navy blue it feels more like a fancy military toy than a fancy display piece that someone took to war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The wing Gundam has elf ears and they make me laugh.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The wing Gundam has elf ears and they make me laugh.

In the katoki versions, but the OG TV Wing is more like flared sideburns.

Also the gundam designs, regardless of various toyetic natures or callbacks, really give me more of a feel of like, prototype mock up paintjobs than anything. Since, well, by and large that's what they are.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've only watched Turn A Gundam, which was very good, but I definitely don't like that main Gundam's design.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
heretic

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DeafNote posted:

Meanwhile Yu-Gi-Oh is a show that seems to absolutely despise being an Add at times, but they are forced to be one more and more.
The worst example being the 5th series where they literally make the main villain change all of his cards to promote a recent release.

I mean, that was literally why Transformers: The Movie killed off a bunch of transformers - to make room for new faves to sell. It went over... poorly.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Gundam, I've been off-and-on listening to a podcast called Mechanista in G, where every episode they roll dice to pick a random mobile suit and talk about it and its variants from a design perspective. A little while ago they had General Ironicus on as a guest to talk about all things Guntank, which eventually led to this monstrosity.

:allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fazz Guntank or Psycho Guntank

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
As far as 80's cartoons/toy ads go, what was always weird to me is when they took media kids really should not have been watching, made a cartoon, and then sold them as toys. Robocop, toxic avenger, Alien(they made alien toys for kids, right?), etc,

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I still have my Scorpion Alien here somewhere. Maybe even the Alien Queen and Winged Alien Queen, and Snake and Bull Aliens too. And I converted my childhood EVAC Fighter into a Thunderhawk Gunship for warhammer 40k. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lobster22221 posted:

As far as 80's cartoons/toy ads go, what was always weird to me is when they took media kids really should not have been watching, made a cartoon, and then sold them as toys. Robocop, toxic avenger, Alien(they made alien toys for kids, right?), etc,

All those movies were awesome to watch as a kid.

They’re grey, have monsters, cuss words, sometimes nudity. So dope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

Cowboy Bebop was supposed to be one of those, Bandai's toy division wanted to sell a bunch of spaceship models and instead Watanabe gave them Spike Spiegel, who is a cool dude but notably not a spaceship. That actually pulled funding and another division had to step in.

Not quite, but you're close; What happened was they got a look at the Swordfish, Redtail and Hammerhead (the protagonist's fighter-sized craft) and the hobby division went "Well nobody's gonna want models of those ships" and pulled funding four episodes in. The video division caught wind of the project, liked what they saw, and just let Watanabe make whatever the gently caress he wanted. If you watch the early episodes with that context, you can tell there's a "get the ships some screentime" mandate in full-force given how infrequently they're used afterwards. And just the shift in episode 5, goddamn :magical:.

(Source; Me, sitting in Watanabe's panel in Manifest Australia a few years back when he actually shared that anecdote. Also got my chunky 2003 DVD box set signed by him :smuggo:)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite, but you're close; What happened was they got a look at the Swordfish, Redtail and Hammerhead (the protagonist's fighter-sized craft) and the hobby division went "Well nobody's gonna want models of those ships" and pulled funding four episodes in. The video division caught wind of the project, liked what they saw, and just let Watanabe make whatever the gently caress he wanted. If you watch the early episodes with that context, you can tell there's a "get the ships some screentime" mandate in full-force given how infrequently they're used afterwards. And just the shift in episode 5, goddamn :magical:.

(Source; Me, sitting in Watanabe's panel in Manifest Australia a few years back when he actually shared that anecdote. Also got my chunky 2003 DVD box set signed by him :smuggo:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjM6xbJglPY&t=9s

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tito. Is just. Standing. There.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Captain Invictus posted:

is there anything remotely similar to the carbombya garbage in other 80s cartoons? I'd think GIJOE would have something but maybe they skirted around that somehow.

Nah, there were some episodes set in the middle east, but they never got offensive as far as I can remember. What the GI Joe cartoon did get away with was using british swears. One of the Dreadnoks used the phrase "and you bollocksed it up good" at one point, but the best one, that puts the "mewling quim" line from the Avengers movie to shame, is when Cobra Commander called Tomax and Xamot twats.

Twats line around the 7-to-7.15 minute mark, if the URL timestamp doesn't work :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOCC0YP2ts

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

stillvisions posted:

I mean, that was literally why Transformers: The Movie killed off a bunch of transformers - to make room for new faves to sell. It went over... poorly.

I mean it did and it didn't. Kids cried but I don't know if you'd still see Hasbro/Takara cranking out eleventy billion versions of Optimus Prime if they HADN'T killed him off in the movie. They killed them all off to sell toys, but it absolutely had the effect of cementing some of those characters in people's minds.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Bad Wolf posted:

Nah, there were some episodes set in the middle east, but they never got offensive as far as I can remember. What the GI Joe cartoon did get away with was using british swears. One of the Dreadnoks used the phrase "and you bollocksed it up good" at one point, but the best one, that puts the "mewling quim" line from the Avengers movie to shame, is when Cobra Commander called Tomax and Xamot twats.

Twats line around the 7-to-7.15 minute mark, if the URL timestamp doesn't work :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOCC0YP2ts

Pretty sure he's saying twerps there.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the best gundam is the Big Zam

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vonnie posted:

I think so too, but admittedly Latta's saying the word weird and it sounds like 'twaps.'

Sidenote if you ever want to depress yourself about the life of a voice actor (and small role in Road House), look up Chris Latta. His standup was also a... thing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZj9YaqNxU

Sterling about the endless repetition of many things.

"They only see two genders: Male and Political" is a wonderfully sad line.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Found this channel of an Aussie living/doing stuff in Japan. He also does some vlogs talking about certain things in Japan from the perspective of a foreigner that's lived there for over a decade. It's interesting to hear him talk about how/why Japan is failing at vaccinations and how some Japanese people talk about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ro0CLxWYY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

lobster22221 posted:

Alien was supposed to get a cartoon but it fell through some time after the toys had already been designed so they just put them out.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Vonnie posted:

Well that just ruined my dreams. At least I was right about the bollocks thing. (5 and a half minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aBrjqsCNT4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm falling down a vtuber rabbit hole and I'm gonna drag you with me.

Mori Calliope(Calli) of Hololive English talks about the worst place she's ever worked(it's Applebee's which some people guessed immediately upon her saying it was a restaurant lol), told in character. I'm not looking down on retail workers, but I'm glad my first job was as a warehouse grunt rather than a front-facing employee, because fuuuuuck the public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ-rf1aBF4&hd=1

and Calli's singing is real good(full song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbxvHZ4GqM&hd=1

I had not heard of IronMouse until someone posted some of her kareoke, apparently she speaks 4 languages, and being a vtuber allows her to do stuff since she's got multiple crippling health issues like CVID and lung damage. From the comments it seems she can no longer sing like this due to said lung damage, which sucks because holy moly she's got some serious pipes, especially as she interrupts it occasionally with a squeaky "gently caress, gently caress" from straining her throat :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtp4h4KQGGM&hd=1

and watching vtubers play Friday Night Funkin' is great. Especially when they read out some of the dialogue without knowing what it means, like week 6's infamous Roses quote. Fubuki is really, really good at rhythm games, turns out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lECrWXvJUQc&hd=1&t=291s

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 10, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ironmouse can still sing amazingly well. The poor girl just lost her lower register so the deep parts of Ave Maria are no longer possible.

https://youtu.be/2l--YtC6Nkk

The good news is that through her streaming career she's able to afford better treatments and says she is gradually getting stronger. She might recover it in time.

Edit: also note that video is from the end of a 5 hour stream where she sings for the last two hours. Her stamina is incredible.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 10, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

calli’s other musical project is pretty great as well even if it has a tendency to get uncomfortably close to electro swing

tho tbh i have a high tolerance for idol music and most hololive stuff is borderline unlistenable to me

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ro61K5hw3Q

Civvie goes EXTREEEME... and oh boy is it hell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQP4GOoAZeM

Campster's Children of Doom series is up to Quake.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a cartoon duck posted:

Oh hey, Big Zam

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

muscles like this! posted:

Alien was supposed to get a cartoon but it fell through some time after the toys had already been designed so they just put them out.

There was that alien cartoon by Disney in the 90s but it only ran for a few episodes before it was cancelled.

https://i.imgur.com/hMHhfG3.mp4

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 10, 2021

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

a cartoon duck posted:

There exists a gundam piloted by a horse. So, that one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Solar Tornado posted:

There exists a gundam piloted by a horse. So, that one

That's not the Netherlands Gundam so it's not the best. Same series tho.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I feel like G Gundam is cheating because it had so many hilariously stupid designs. Horse Gundam, Tequila Gundam, Windmill Gundam, the American pilot's Gundam that was simultaneously a football player, a boxer, a surfer, and a cowboy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm falling down a vtuber rabbit hole and I'm gonna drag you with me.

Mori Calliope(Calli) of Hololive English talks about the worst place she's ever worked(it's Applebee's which some people guessed immediately upon her saying it was a restaurant lol), told in character. I'm not looking down on retail workers, but I'm glad my first job was as a warehouse grunt rather than a front-facing employee, because fuuuuuck the public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ-rf1aBF4&hd=1

What is it about Applebee's that makes it such a bad place to work? I've heard it brought up in Worst Workplace Experiences discussions so often that I'm getting curious. Is it really that much worse than other fast food and restaurant jobs (which are already really bad, don't get me wrong)?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

JordanKai posted:

What is it about Applebee's that makes it such a bad place to work? I've heard it brought up in Worst Workplace Experiences discussions so often that I'm getting curious. Is it really that much worse than other fast food and restaurant jobs (which are already really bad, don't get me wrong)?

Applebee's definitely has the "feel free to order that third fishbowl margarita, Karen; the customer is always right!" as a corporate-mandated atmosphere which isn't gonna help.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Applebee's is the horrible combination of worse than fast food wages (because of the possibility of tips) and HR that expects you to be as professional as more upscale restaurants that actually pay you more and train you properly.

EDIT: /\ and that. It's also on the margin between fast food and more upscale dining price and atmosphere wise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only time I ever went to an applebee's there was a scuffle in one of the other booths so I'm going to guess the general clientele of the place makes it an awful place to work

but then again I've had or seen altercations in outback and chilis(I'll never forget the old lady who was positively APOPLECTIC at her waitress for...being non-white, and I stepped in to separate them while they went to get the manager and she screamed obscenities as the waitress walked away), maybe applebee's is just the bottom of the barrel of that sort of chain restaurant though.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I think any chain focused on serving microwaved dinners for dirt cheap while encouraging drink sales is gonna be a bad time for the waitstaff

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Some More News - Elon Musk Is Not Your Friend

https://youtu.be/5pNL7MlUpmI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Applebees, Chili's, TGI, Olive Garden, etc tend to end up as the "fancy" dinner restaurant option for lower income white people. So you end up with a lot of right wing pricks and/or people who blow up over any little thing going wrong because this is their big fancy night and you're RUINING it by not bringing them their refill fast enough or whatever. This is them spending what is relative to them big money, which breeds a sense of entitlement in regards to the service they expect even when the servers are being paid poverty wages.

And yeah, it doesn't help that you can absolutely load up on cheap mixed drinks and all the waitstaff will get for suggesting maybe you've had enough is an earful from the customer, then an earful from their manager, and probably an even more meager tip then they otherwise would have gotten.