Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dell_Zincht posted:

4 is very funny but the dom/sub relationship with Greg and Alex has already been established, Series 1 sets the tone of the show in THE VERY FIRST TASK.

Also it's hilarious seeing Romesh Ranganathan constantly pissed off in the studio segments.

Not only does it set the tone of the series in the first task, but it has a nice build. It starts with Josh Widdicome just treating the task in a normal manner, proceeds to Frank Skinner being rawer about the task, but in a fairly restrained manner, has a brief sidebar with Roisin Conaty just being silly and completely missing the task before Romesh and Tim come in like loving cavemen and demolish the task. If the lineup of comedians in another series is more attractive though, I can completely understand dipping your toes with another season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I propose that it's perfectly fine to watch Taskmaster starting not only with any series, but also any episode you happen to catch, and that you'll get the same enjoyment out of it either way.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

My Lovely Horse posted:

I propose that it's perfectly fine to watch Taskmaster starting not only with any series, but also any episode you happen to catch, and that you'll get the same enjoyment out of it either way.

While I don't think there's any major change if you watch the seasons out of order, I do think you'll miss a little something by not watching the episodes of a given season in order since they tend to build up some running jokes on people's performances; especially if someone is underwhelming or a bit crazy in how they go about tasks. Which isn't a major thing, by any stretch, but Greg's reaction to Rob's video woudn't have quite the same impact without seeing how often Rhod brought in pictures of Greg posing in swim trunks and the video being a slight subversion of that by being outright worse, or knowing the two are friends and Greg being so disappointed that Nish screwed up when he was doing well for once, without seeing how often he'd fallen before that. Plus, there's normally one task a season given to just one contestant and it often has more impact with a bit of grounding in why they chose that contestant. Again, nothing major and I don't think it should discourage from just watching a random episode if it's on or anything, but there is some difference.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annabel Pee posted:

Seems weird since they are making international versions everywhere, I wonder if it’s gonna be bought?

Rumour is Netflix want it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Vasukhani posted:

is anyone else really into Only Connect? Seems to be the best quiz show produced rn, suprised there isnt a thread tbh

I'm a big fan of gameshows but I hate only connect. Everyone is so middle class and I also feel like the questions are way too abstract.
I'd even rather watch University Challenge.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm a big fan of gameshows but I hate only connect. Everyone is so middle class and I also feel like the questions are way too abstract.

Agreed. I'm a fan of Tom Scott but seeing him and his wanky middle class friends on the show in 2010 turned me off his YouTube channel for quite a while.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

tsob posted:

Not only does it set the tone of the series in the first task, but it has a nice build. It starts with Josh Widdicome just treating the task in a normal manner, proceeds to Frank Skinner being rawer about the task, but in a fairly restrained manner, has a brief sidebar with Roisin Conaty just being silly and completely missing the task before Romesh and Tim come in like loving cavemen and demolish the task. If the lineup of comedians in another series is more attractive though, I can completely understand dipping your toes with another season.

Rhod using his friendship with Greg to take the piss for a whole series was great, but Greg saying that Roisin once tried to make a Lasagna with 'every kind of meat' killed me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure why, but finding it hard to care about TM anymore. I like the current contestants fine, but it doesn't make me laugh like it used to. I'm a bunch of episodes behind so maybe it'll kickstart again, but thinking I might be over it which sucks. Like the task with the banana and the jelly filled bottle was fun... for the first attempt, then it just felt like it dragged having to watch a bunch more similar attempts at it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

University Challenge is way more middle class though? OC is mainly a conglomeration of weirdo nerds and semi-professional quizzer old pub men.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Best Taskmaster to start with is actually probably the New Year's special, cause it's only one episode, but has one of the best casts and it's a complete Taskmaster microcosm. Watching it right now

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Comrade Fakename posted:

University Challenge is way more middle class though? OC is mainly a conglomeration of weirdo nerds and semi-professional quizzer old pub men.

Yeah, that poster's talking nonsense. Ain't nothing abstract about MMO loot types, GTA locations, World Cup final stadia, etc and hundreds more besides. Even if some connections are 3-2-1ish at times, it's way more fun than UC's straightforward quiz of poo poo most people don't care to know in the first place.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Only Connect is great if only for the insane rush you get when you actually know an answer.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best bit of OC is how its constantly taking the piss out of the contestants for being a bunch of weirdo nerds. Like the pandemic one starting with a bit about "how we've all had to remain indoors for months on end without the slightest hint of human contact.....Let's meet the teams"

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure why, but finding it hard to care about TM anymore. I like the current contestants fine, but it doesn't make me laugh like it used to. I'm a bunch of episodes behind so maybe it'll kickstart again, but thinking I might be over it which sucks. Like the task with the banana and the jelly filled bottle was fun... for the first attempt, then it just felt like it dragged having to watch a bunch more similar attempts at it.

I can see this - I still enjoy the show and look forward to it but it doesn't have some of the same shine. Some of it is lack of novelty at this point, that this isn't as unique as it was when it first came out. A number of the tasks are sort of reskins of old tasks, like determine what's inside the breading being a redone version of find the satsuma within the socks. Some of it is that the game suffers with the COVID protocols in place and the group not being able to feed off the crowd. Some of it is that, over the past few seasons, the prize task efforts are consistently half-assed and lame compared to earlier seasons.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’m sure I remember hearing that Coren writes those intros herself, sometimes minutes before going on set. Although I’m sure I posted it here before when I was unsure if it was true as I am now.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Anals of History posted:

Some of it is that, over the past few seasons, the prize task efforts are consistently half-assed and lame compared to earlier seasons.

I don't think it's lost it's shine personally, but I can definitely see this argument as an issue. It was kind of funny how low effort Daisy May Cooper was with her prize entries, but pretty much nothing submitted in the last few seasons would actually feel llike something worth winning. The latest episode had 3 things of jelly, 2 of which had almost worthless objects in them and one of which was just a novelty shape, a chicken sausage and a tooth in a jewelry box. All of which you'd throw in the bin more than likely. Maybe you'd eat one of the jellies. Greg has cracked down on people before for rule violations, but it feels like maybe he should crack down on people for being lazy or cheap about their prize tasks. Or perhaps that'd be more on Alex to do behind the scenes. Either way, it feels like people are just trying to find the simplest thing that fits the prize desciptor or the most subversive thing that fits it, but no-one even pretends to care about making it something worth winning anymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anals of History posted:

determine what's inside the breading being a redone version of find the satsuma within the socks

It's almost exactly the 'what's in these pies' task.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

am I the only one who skips through the only connect banter oh god I just cannot stand it

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, that poster's talking nonsense. Ain't nothing abstract about MMO loot types, GTA locations, World Cup final stadia, etc and hundreds more besides. Even if some connections are 3-2-1ish at times, it's way more fun than UC's straightforward quiz of poo poo most people don't care to know in the first place.

At least I can sometimes answer UC ones.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

stev posted:

Only Connect is great if only for the insane rush you get when you actually know an answer.

This goes for all quiz shows. I felt like a golden loving god that time "Royal Rumble winners" was the final category on an episode of Pointless.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Maybe part of the issue with the prize tasks is that these were all filmed when the country was in lockdown, so no "frivilous" shops were open, visiting between family and friends was limited etc. So their potential for going weird or out there is limited somewhat.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The new fangled intro music on Alan Partridge is so good (bad)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I guess the answer is Covid, somehow, but it is funny how the prize tasks just took a nosedive like that. Honestly, I don't think there's been a good prize these last two seasons to the point that with the last episode I started to think maybe they should just cut the prize task.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
I think one part of it is that the prize task is a victim of the longer series length. It's a lot easier to come up with good prizes that fit the brief when you only need to come up with five instead of ten - especially once you consider that they still film the whole studio section in one week.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Do you all think they take the 'prizes' home with them? :psyduck:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strawman posted:

They originally did but the really valuable stuff got given back after some begging. I doubt they have in years though.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Adolf Glitter posted:

The new fangled intro music on Alan Partridge is so good (bad)

i loved that episode :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jennie on This Time is quietly one of the best bits of the whole show. Slipping the word "trivialise" in right at the end just to needle Alan was so good.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It felt like that whole speech about the ITV regions was designed just for some of the people in this thread.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean, ‘ITV In the Face’ (https://vimeo.com/channels/itvintheface) is prerequisite material before you’re allowed to post in this thread, after all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean, ‘ITV In the Face’ (https://vimeo.com/channels/itvintheface) is prerequisite material before you’re allowed to post in this thread, after all.

Oooooh I've never seen this before, thank you! Of course I watched it all before I made this post.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

I think one part of it is that the prize task is a victim of the longer series length. It's a lot easier to come up with good prizes that fit the brief when you only need to come up with five instead of ten - especially once you consider that they still film the whole studio section in one week.

AFAIK they get given the prize task categories way in advance of filming.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mr Beens posted:

AFAIK they get given the prize task categories way in advance of filming.

Yeah, I guess what I mean is that 10 prizes still dilutes things in several ways - you still have half the "time per prize" even if you have lead time, the amount you'd be willing to spend on prizes has to go twice as far, even the top five prize categories for the series have to be supplemented with five less good categories.

One thing in defence of the prize task is how amenable it is to playing along at home - best thing you can carry, but only just? Three pints of bitter, bosh! Best drinking vessel - I suppose if you could get tickets for one of those "booze cruise" things where you spend the evening on a riverboat with an open bar, that's at least a creative reinterpretation of the category.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

They used all the good prize tasks already.
They should just have the same every series, ep1 get Gregg something for £20, ep2 Best dinner party guest, ep3 Best piece of memorabilia, etc.
With the only rule is if any previous series brought in the same, 0 points.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Strawman posted:

Contractually yes, but the losers are allowed to at least ask the winners of them to give them back.

In series 1 Frank Skinner did actually withdraw £19,000 from Josh Widdecome's bank account.

He gave it straight back, though.

Romesh lost his car in the same series and refused to take it back.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Oooooh I've never seen this before, thank you! Of course I watched it all before I made this post.

Recommend watching a lot of Matthew Harris’ stuff, he’s done series about BSB and a few about kids TV (specifically presentation and Saturday mornings) as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Contractually yes, but the losers are allowed to at least ask the winners of them to give them back.

In series 1 Frank Skinner did actually withdraw £19,000 from Josh Widdecome's bank account.

He gave it straight back, though.

Romesh lost his car in the same series and refused to take it back.

To be honest I think the series went a bit downhill when the prizes were neutered to best wobbly thing.

Each task had the feel of real effort when the alleged stakes were much higher for each comedian.

Nothing makes a competition funnier than desperation and hubris in contestants.

Has there ever been light shed on why the item task was made so much more impersonal?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

njsykora posted:

Recommend watching a lot of Matthew Harris’ stuff, he’s done series about BSB and a few about kids TV (specifically presentation and Saturday mornings) as well.

Am off work sick today so binging Watch and Smile. Never noticed it come out despite being something I’ve really wanted to exist for ages, so thanks for making me look through the channel again!

Would be amazing if someone had broadcast tapes of stuff he could use rather than on air vhs recordings, but I’ll take it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I know it's Reddit but I just came across this and it's amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/taskmaster/comments/n94lre/taskmaster_s110_wheres_wally_uncolouredstill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Joe Lycett's distance painting is a big highlight of that to me, as is the bread in the toaster tiebreaker.