Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

exquisite tea posted:

Games should have really difficult sections where you have to carefully analyze the main themes and characters in both short and long essay format.

Games should have stories that can stand up to the barest scrutiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Hotel Dusk/Last Window Kyle Hyde made you do a quiz at the end of each chapter to make sure you knew what was going on

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Games should have stories that can stand up to the barest scrutiny

Stories in narrative video games are generally okay. Meandering, highly derivative and often nonsensical, but so is a lot of literary fiction and nobody seems to mind. Even total trash these days generally has at least some grasp on characters, plot structure, and maybe even a vision of a theme they're trying to get across. The biggest issue with video game storytelling is how much time and dialogue are completely WASTED on totally flat exposition. Like 50% of all game scripts are just people telling you what to do and other stuff that happened. It's embarrassing!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yesterday I tried Portal Reloaded before my Sekiro session and for a fan game, it is not too bad.

I have laughed a couple of times and having a time portal does make the puzzles a little more bendy, but I am a sucker for the whole Portal asthetic. I think I will finish the whole game because I like puzzles and the announcer does have a pretty good 'game' voice too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

VR do you actually live in Burkina Faso? Didn't know they had working internet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing makes me start skipping the cutscenes / dialog faster than when a game gives the player control and then you lose it again to another cut scene after taking 5 steps. I'm looking at Trails of Cold Steel IV where this was a thing every 10 minutes in order to show you 35 hours of dialog heavy cutscenes.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm generally patient with game cutscenes etc at least at the start but ducktales remastered broke me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Grouchio posted:

VR do you actually live in Burkina Faso? Didn't know they had working internet.

Oh! No, I do not. Unfortunately I live in the UK.

Burkina Faso pretty much means Land of Honesty and is my favourite country name.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and yet, you dishonestly claim to be from there. curious

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

Nothing makes me start skipping the cutscenes / dialog faster than when a game gives the player control and then you lose it again to another cut scene after taking 5 steps. I'm looking at Trails of Cold Steel IV where this was a thing every 10 minutes in order to show you 35 hours of dialog heavy cutscenes.

What about games that give you control during cutscenes, but you actually can't do anything except walk around until everyone is done talking?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Does anyone else set their location as something other than where they live for video game stuff? I always at least try to see if I can set my location to Palestine and it's very rare to be able to, off the top of my head the only service/game that lets you is Steam.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Oh! No, I do not. Unfortunately I live in the UK.

Burkina Faso pretty much means Land of Honesty and is my favourite country name.
I live in southern Maine. Not as much to do as Boston but life's been peaceful through covid. Finally inoculated.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Maine is a good part of New England

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never gotten past the first real fight in Transistor (I mean I beat it but then immediately stopped) because I absolutely don't understand the combat system at all. It just feels so weird and awkward to me, I don't know how to get into it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never skip cutscenes. If you're determined to show me some dumb poo poo, I'm down for the whole stupid ride (which I will then complain about later).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Help Im Alive posted:

In Hotel Dusk/Last Window Kyle Hyde made you do a quiz at the end of each chapter to make sure you knew what was going on

Cing also did this in Trace Memory/Another Code, which reminds me that I still need to get around to emulating Another Code R.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The biggest flaw in Transistor is that the time-stop command promises to let you plan out move sequences but then those sequences don't actually go according to plan because it doesn't account for monsters getting knocked around by attacks or moving a little bit while the sequence executes

exquisite tea posted:

I never skip cutscenes. If you're determined to show me some dumb poo poo, I'm down for the whole stupid ride (which I will then complain about later).

I'll watch every cutscene once but if I die and have to replay them I will absolutely skip everything on the way back to where I was

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

and yet, you dishonestly claim to be from there. curious

Gotta admit, I am pretty owned by this.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Most games got too many words in em, and then they usually have like a codex something with even more fluff.

*Old guy from 60 minutes turns to the camera*

" Haven't these video-game developers ever heard of show, don't tell?"

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Most games got too many words in em, and then they usually have like a codex something with even more fluff.

*Old guy from 60 minutes turns to the camera*

" Haven't these video-game developers ever heard of show, don't tell?"

no

no they have not

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Really, game story telling peaked with Putt Putt Goes to the Moon.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Most games got too many words in em

Resident Evil 8 has got you covered. Conversations longer than 5 seconds seem to always get interrupted by some big crazy set piece

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

I'll watch every cutscene once but if I die and have to replay them I will absolutely skip everything on the way back to where I was

Final Fantasy X has really long cutscenes just before boss fights, and on the PlayStation 2 version you couldn't skip the cutscenes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

My problem with transistor is that if I stop playing the game and try to come back to it, the battle system just spews information at me and expects me to understand it.

I understand this. It's pretty system dense shrouded in faux "programmer" language. I got bodied the first few fights when I returned but I also had some limiters turned on that was making things needlessly difficult. After a few fights it all clicked again.

exquisite tea posted:

Stories in narrative video games are generally okay. Meandering, highly derivative and often nonsensical, but so is a lot of literary fiction and nobody seems to mind. Even total trash these days generally has at least some grasp on characters, plot structure, and maybe even a vision of a theme they're trying to get across. The biggest issue with video game storytelling is how much time and dialogue are completely WASTED on totally flat exposition. Like 50% of all game scripts are just people telling you what to do and other stuff that happened. It's embarrassing!

Yeah, in Transistor I felt like for all the talking so much of it was repetitious and at the end of the game I still didn't understand some major parts of what was going on. Maybe it was explained when I played it seven years ago, maybe it was revealed in one of the few logs I didn't unlock by the end, but it didn't really satisfy me. It's never good when the enemy organization has a motto ("When everything changes, nothing changes") that makes me think "that's stupid, what does that even mean?" but also the developers stripped the main character of her voice so she never gets to challenge it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy X has really long cutscenes just before boss fights, and on the PlayStation 2 version you couldn't skip the cutscenes.

You can't skip cutscenes in any version of FFX. The reason for it has to do with the way the cutscenes and voice lines were coded, and is the same reason why each voice line has to have the exact same duration in all languages or the game crashes. If you ever wondered why Yuna says "yes" so quickly in some scenes, it's because it has to match exactly with a very brief "hai" in the Japanese dialogue. Same for why some lines just speed up a lot.

It's honestly pretty remarkable what the English localization team and cast were able to do given the constraints they were working under.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
transistor has one of the better plots I’ve seen in games

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Parasite Eve ends with like, 10 mintues of unskippable cutscenes, and then a 4 phase boss fight, and then a FAKE save point. If you touch the fake save point you lose lol go back to the start of the cutscenes.

It's great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Parasite Eve ends with like, 10 mintues of unskippable cutscenes, and then a 4 phase boss fight, and then a FAKE save point. If you touch the fake save point you lose lol go back to the start of the cutscenes.

It's great.

I learned this the hardway last year when I played last year for the first time. You have a phase where you have to run away from the boss and if you mess up even a little bit you are totally screwed and will die. You then have to do the entire boss fight all over again.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Saint Freak posted:

It's great.

Parasite Eve is the best game as long you save state every 5 minutes.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Harrow posted:

You can't skip cutscenes in any version of FFX. The reason for it has to do with the way the cutscenes and voice lines were coded, and is the same reason why each voice line has to have the exact same duration in all languages or the game crashes. If you ever wondered why Yuna says "yes" so quickly in some scenes, it's because it has to match exactly with a very brief "hai" in the Japanese dialogue. Same for why some lines just speed up a lot.

It's honestly pretty remarkable what the English localization team and cast were able to do given the constraints they were working under.

There was a Twitter thread that went around dev Twitter a while back where one of the take aways is that way more games work like this then you might imagine and in many cases the way the skip button works is just setting the playback speed of it all to happen in 1 frame.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SeXReX posted:

There was a Twitter thread that went around dev Twitter a while back where one of the take aways is that way more games work like this then you might imagine and in many cases the way the skip button works is just setting the playback speed of it all to happen in 1 frame.

Whenever I hear something like this about game development I'm amazed that any game is ever released in a playable state.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

All games are held together by transluscent tape and cardboard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah behind that polished exterior is a hellworld of spit, baling wire, duct tape, and developer tears

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Welp, poo poo. Idolninja :(

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9480/discussions/0/3149682775496734153/

IdolNinja

I've been trying to come up with a good way to say this, but there really is not one. I'm stepping down as Volition's Community Developer.

The reason why is a simple one; the cancer that I fought so hard with last year was only a temporary victory. It has come back with a vengeance, and I only have a short time left here on this earth.

You are probably wondering what will happen with the Saints Row 2 patch project. While I will no longer be managing Community, I will continue to work on this for as long as I am able. Please understand that it is 100% my choice to spend my last days contributing to it. Both Volition and Deep Silver have been incredibly supportive and have always given me the opportunity to leave the project with a solemn vow to make sure it gets finished without me. We have also been planning for this eventual moment, and brought on additional programming help some time ago to make sure it happens. While I am hesitant to give any kind of timeline, I can say that there have been huge strides made. I am confident that it will meet everyone's high expectations and standards (including mine.)

Anyone that knows me, understands that I have the deepest love for both the people at Volition and our community. I hope I was able to shine a light on how we make games and who we are as both developers and people, and maybe make everyone's day just a little bit brighter in some small way. Oh, and one last thing... while I probably won't be here to see the launch, our new Saints Row game is absolutely going to blow the roof off. I am beyond proud to have been a part of bringing it to life.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Oh gently caress, that's awful. I didn't even know they were sick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

stev posted:

Whenever I hear something like this about game development I'm amazed that any game is ever released in a playable state.

If the core of your code base is solid, you can get away with a lot of piecemeal fixes and patchwork solutions stuck on top of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

xedo posted:

Oh gently caress, that's awful. I didn't even know they were sick.

Same, loving poo poo. gently caress cancer. :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh man. :( Idolninja is amazing and their work on SR2 helped me so much back in the day.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This was heartbreaking to read. I knew IdolNinja from the early Gentlemen of the Row mod days, and I always enjoyed the times we talked. gently caress cancer. :(

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What should I cook for my mom for a belated Mother’s Day dinner?