Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They are two consenting adults in teen bodies and they haven't actually done anything romantic, so idk it's weird but not ready to start calling nonce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rudy doesn't seem to understand humans. Like, at all. Hence him not having any problems stealing Rex's dna to make a clone which is all sorts of hosed up. Also it's spelled out for the audience that he sees monster girl as someone who can relate to him due to their body problem.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also Rudy was never a fully grown adult male so it's not like he actually gave himself a younger looking body

...... all of which still sounds like some gross anime "5000 year old demon in a pre-teen's body" stuff :chloe:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This Rudy was never a mutant baby though. It's just a recently grown clown with the memories of a person who was a mutant baby implanted on it. That same mutant baby he then killed shortly after having its memories implanted on him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

So... Is Robot a pedofile? Are we supposed to just roll with a 30 year old man falling in love with an adult woman with the body of a child? Like, i understand that societal norms have to take a backseat to storytelling and so on, especially in universe here... but is Rudy's thing "Yes I was a horribly deformed mutant baby... but also I am a pedofile... and now that I've found an adult woman who looks like a child, I can finally have a 'normal' life."

because my reaction mostly mirrored the Teent Team's reaction, just a big 'ol "WHAT DA FUQ?" from me.

Yeah it's a bit weird. The most charitable reading is he latched onto Monster Girl because she's someone who's having body issues the same as him, and he feels a kinship with someone who is trying to overcome their issue. And he feels that the same way that he solved his own issue, he can help her break her curse, but in the meantime he's going to put himself into a body around her same age so that she feels more comfortable as not the only young looking person in the team.

It's a really werid way of going about it, especially since if he doesn't break her curse she'll just keep looking younger while he gets older and defeating the whole point of the exercise, but he thinks he can solve the curse quickly.

Total Meatlove posted:

Watching the corridor crew ‘X reacts’ series on YouTube really put into perspective how difficult drawing these series is and the reasons for some of that style - some homage, some practical etc.

Yeah I like when they show behind the scenes stuff, seeing keyframes without color really drives home the draftsmanship required to pull off these shots. Even if Invincible isn't as well animated as some top tier anime it's still a really good effort.

Corridor Crew is kind of a bane of the vfx industry because, despite the snippets of behind-the-scenes footage they get their hands on from DVD featurettes, they don't really know what they're talking about. Even if one of them bills himself as a "VFX Supervisor", he's really just the supervisor at a small motion graphics studio and doesn't really understand a lot of the techniques that go into the large scale shots they try to dissect. Vfx supes with locked accounts on twitter have roasted these guys for being such dunderheads. They recently brought their brand of badly researchered reckoning to anime and got called out by a bunch of producers and key animators for getting all the numbers and facts wrong (they said anime has 4000 drawings per episode, it's closer to 10,000, they misunderstood a lot of shot complexity, discounted a huge amount of the craft, attributed scheduling issues to budget as opposed to airdates, etc.)

Ccs fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 10, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I read the whole Rudy situation as being pretty intentionally hosed up? Like, he's not exactly presented as some kind of paragon, he releases a supervillain to do some stuff that is at best morally gray and definitely pretty creepy.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's kinda weird, but his "love" for her doesn't seem to be specifically physical attraction. It's a strange situation, but also it's also important to remember that there are real people with medical conditions that make them look much younger than they are so it's best not to throw around accusations like that so quickly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like when all the other characters in the scene all react by going “whoa, wtf! This is extremely weird and hosed up!” like almost literally using those exact words, it’s worth exploring.

This felt like one of those IRL situations where your immediate gut reaction is that something is deeply wrong or immoral but you don’t actually know what, specifically, is wigging you out.

I’m unclear on Monster Girl’s chronological age but the show makes her seem like an adult, so it’s just two adults with children’s bodies... my issue is that Rudy explicitly chose a child’s body but I like what the other goon said about wanting her to feel less isolated.

During the episode I figured it was some weird “I was so disfigured I never got to have a childhood” type of thing, which I find way creepier than the other suggestions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

She said she's 25

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She said she's 25

And Robot is 30, which is the only way I can really interpret the consent dimension here.

The entire situation is so wonky that typical issues concerning child abuse and sexual proprietary are just impossible to navigate.

It's not like the series sexualises Monster Girl.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
vaguely or explicitly uncomfortable is kinda Invincible's MO

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ccs posted:

Yeah it's a bit weird. The most charitable reading is he latched onto Monster Girl because she's someone who's having body issues the same as him, and he feels a kinship with someone who is trying to overcome their issue. And he feels that the same way that he solved his own issue, he can help her break her curse, but in the meantime he's going to put himself into a body around her same age so that she feels more comfortable as not the only young looking person in the team.

It's a really werid way of going about it, especially since if he doesn't break her curse she'll just keep looking younger while he gets older and defeating the whole point of the exercise, but he thinks he can solve the curse quickly.

Yeah I like when they show behind the scenes stuff, seeing keyframes without color really drives home the draftsmanship required to pull off these shots. Even if Invincible isn't as well animated as some top tier anime it's still a really good effort.

Corridor Crew is kind of a bane of the vfx industry because, despite the snippets of behind-the-scenes footage they get their hands on from DVD featurettes, they don't really know what they're talking about. Even if one of them bills himself as a "VFX Supervisor", he's really just the supervisor at a small motion graphics studio and doesn't really understand a lot of the techniques that go into the large scale shots they try to dissect. Vfx supes with locked accounts on twitter have roasted these guys for being such dunderheads. They recently brought their brand of badly researchered reckoning to anime and got called out by a bunch of producers and key animators for getting all the numbers and facts wrong (they said anime has 4000 drawings per episode, it's closer to 10,000, they misunderstood a lot of shot complexity, discounted a huge amount of the craft, attributed scheduling issues to budget as opposed to airdates, etc.)

I’d not seen as much of the blowback on them, any links?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry for another dumb question but I’ve never read the comics: Is Debbie (and therefore Mark) supposed to be Asian? Or is she just stylized in a way that looks Korean/Vietnamese?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Debbie was white in the comics, and then they made them both Asian/half-Asian-Viltrumite for this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

I’d not seen as much of the blowback on them, any links?

Yeah they recent controversy was about their anime video. I can link to those. I’ll try to find the vfx supe criticisms but those are behind locked accounts so I might just do screenshots. Mostly people their opinions close to their chests and just roll with that their work is getting some attention, but it also irks them when guys that don't understand the high end pipeline start giving notes about what they feel is off about certain shots. In particular there was a thread about the vfx pipeline for high framerate work like Hobbit or Gemini Man that was just total conjecture on their part. I guess it's reaction videos so whatever, but they bill themselves as experts...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JMulli02/status/1391140583721287682

Ccs fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 10, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry for another dumb question but I’ve never read the comics: Is Debbie (and therefore Mark) supposed to be Asian? Or is she just stylized in a way that looks Korean/Vietnamese?

I assumed so since both VOs are of Korean descent but that might just be a crappy assumption on my part.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

Debbie was white in the comics, and then they made them both Asian/half-Asian-Viltrumite for this.

Wow! That’s really awesome! I can’t really think of another property that is changed a main character’s ethnicity for a screen translation without just rewriting a new character instead. Really cool how this show manages to be progressive about race and gay stuff in a way that feels natural to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow! That’s really awesome! I can’t really think of another property that is changed a main character’s ethnicity for a screen translation without just rewriting a new character instead. Really cool how this show manages to be progressive about race and gay stuff in a way that feels natural to me.

According to my friend, apparently the comic made a bigger deal about Will being gay, in so much it was secret for a time and he had a coming out or something?

But yeah, found it really refreshing in the show for Will to be gay without it being treated as unusual or special, while also not like, pushing it entirely into the background?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oxyclean posted:

According to my friend, apparently the comic made a bigger deal about Will being gay, in so much it was secret for a time and he had a coming out or something?

He didn't come out as gay until midway through the series. He and Eve actually dated for a bit prior to that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Precisely! It’s part of his character and the story, but it’s not like the central conceit of his character and the storyline about him and his partner/crush would have worked identically, more or less, if the genders were different, I think. That’s the best kind of representation,
IMO.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I thought it was well handled. They don't really call attention to it, it's just there.

Since a lot of this show is about weird alien creatures, the show doesn't seem to want to dwell on differences between humans too much, which can be an issue for some. It's just portraying the variety of humans, and spending its time highlighting the differences between humanity and all these aliens that are out there.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Oxyclean posted:

But yeah, found it really refreshing in the show for Will to be gay without it being treated as unusual or special, while also not like, pushing it entirely into the background?

In the early comics, Will was casually homophobic. Not in a hateful way, but in a "this kid grew up in the 90s" way. It's later retconned/revealed that he was closeted and figuring himself out. I don't know if it was planned the whole time, if Kirkman second guessed himself, or it landed poorly with the reader base, but it felt a little awkward to me. I got the impression that Battle Beast was the same way; he was just a tough goon but he kept showing up and being more important.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ccs posted:

Yeah they recent controversy was about their anime video. I can link to those. I’ll try to find the vfx supe criticisms but those are behind locked accounts so I might just do screenshots. Mostly people their opinions close to their chests and just roll with that their work is getting some attention, but it also irks them when guys that don't understand the high end pipeline start giving notes about what they feel is off about certain shots. In particular there was a thread about the vfx pipeline for high framerate work like Hobbit or Gemini Man that was just total conjecture on their part. I guess it's reaction videos so whatever, but they bill themselves as experts...

https://mobile.twitter.com/JMulli02/status/1391140583721287682

Yeah, I like the Corridor Crew guys a lot, but they're just some dudes who started using AfterEffects in their garage and got a career making youtube videos. They bring in a lot of guests who worked as stuntmen on big major studio films, and those guys seem legit and know their stuff, but you do get a lot of saying things from a position of authority or criticism that aren't totally accurate or aware. Lots of extrapolation and jumping to conclusions.

Bust Rodd posted:

So... Is Robot a pedofile? Are we supposed to just roll with a 30 year old man falling in love with an adult woman with the body of a child? Like, i understand that societal norms have to take a backseat to storytelling and so on, especially in universe here... but is Rudy's thing "Yes I was a horribly deformed mutant baby... but also I am a pedofile... and now that I've found an adult woman who looks like a child, I can finally have a 'normal' life."

because my reaction mostly mirrored the Teent Team's reaction, just a big 'ol "WHAT DA FUQ?" from me.

Are you spelling it wrong on purpose as a joke or what? This is a weird post, stop thinking about it lol.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azhais posted:

He didn't come out as gay until midway through the series. He and Eve actually dated for a bit prior to that

That was during William's "I have a girlfriend because I'm TOTALLY NOT GAY GUYS HA HA HA!" phase. Times having changed a bit since 2006, he's no longer in need of that pretence and went straight to being out.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hakkesshu posted:

Deb isn’t any more or less Asian than she is in the comic, outside of the voice actor being Korean. I mean I guess she is but it’s still ambiguous unless you look at the cast list. It just isn’t a thing that gets mentioned in the comic and unless they eventually decide to make a point of it probably won’t come up in the show

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Deb isn’t any more or less Asian than she is in the comic, outside of the voice actor being Korean. I mean I guess she is but it’s still ambiguous unless you look at the cast list. It just isn’t a thing that gets mentioned in the comic and unless they eventually decide to make a point of it probably won’t come up in the show

She is caucasian coded in the comic and Asian coded in the show, I really don't think this is at all ambiguous. You can interpret the art if you want, I guess, but Robert Kirkman definitely did not deliberately make her Asian in the original work like they did here.

Edit: For the record this is something the character designers have talked about doing so gently caress off with that

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 10, 2021

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't see how she is Asian coded in the show at all. I didn't even think she was Asian until I saw Yuen and Oh voiced Mark and Debbie and saw what they were going for.

I've started my second watch through and a few things I noticed:

-In the fight against the Guardians, Red Rush doesn't just save Immortal and FishGuy, he also blocks one of mark's punches that was intended for War Woman
-Nolan crushing Red Rush's head happens instantly, but Red Rush and Nolan have super speed making it seem longer. This must have been particularly long for Red Rush who tells his wife he experiences all of life in slow motion and he can't turn it off.
-Nolan tells Cecil he doesn't know who attacked him and the Guardians because someone cut the lights and they were ambushed. Cecil tests this theory by teleporting into the Grayson's darkened home which Nolan promptly sniffs out. Cecil knew he was lying.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a white guy who used to live in Japan she seemed very obviously Asian to me and Mark definitely has her eyes and her mouth in his design. When she stands next to Nolan or Cecil you can really see way she contrasts the white character designs. It’s even more pronounced in the scene where Mark is playing Little League.

Compare their skin tones and hair to RepliKate, the other Asian character.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 10, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hakkesshu posted:

She is caucasian coded in the comic and Asian coded in the show, I really don't think this is at all ambiguous. You can interpret the art if you want, I guess, but Robert Kirkman definitely did not deliberately make her Asian in the original work like they did here.

Edit: For the record this is something the character designers have talked about doing so gently caress off with that

:ok:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Watching the show I thought Robot's master plan was to resurrect Immortal or the other Guardians using Mauler tech, and what actually happened came out of nowhere

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I now get the impression that on the rare occasions that The Immortal is killed that he can always be put back together.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I don't see how she is Asian coded in the show at all. I didn't even think she was Asian until I saw Yuen and Oh voiced Mark and Debbie and saw what they were going for.

Yeah this is something an artist on the show was taking issue with. One of his tweets was "why cast poc characters if you're just going to write them like white people." Which, I dunno, they're middle/upper middle class surburbanites, Debbie could be 2nd or 3rd generation, the Korean heritage isn't really relevant to the show's plot (as opposed to Viltrumite heritage...) but, eh, I can see how it could be interpreted as half-assed representation. In the most uncharitable reading.

But as far as the plot gets into anything concerning immigration or hertiage, it's focused around the alien bloodline. It might have been weird to bring Mark's partial Korean heritage into it. The important thing is he's half human. The show wants to depict a diversity in humanity, but not get concerned with much social dynamics between different immigrant groups and so forth beyond that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RareAcumen posted:

I now get the impression that on the rare occasions that The Immortal is killed that he can always be put back together.

I could see him actually being gone if he was like vaporized by the sun or something like that, but as long as he has a head to put back on at least he's otherwise unkillable yeah.

Or something like cutting his head off and taking it to another planet so it has no hope of being reunited with the body?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He's like a tapeworm, you just end up with two immortals

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Chalks posted:

It's a strange situation, but also it's also important to remember that there are real people with medical conditions that make them look much younger than they are so it's best not to throw around accusations like that so quickly.

Yeah, I think this is the most reasonable way to parse the situation. She has a condition that makes her look younger, it could be dangerous or fatal if not managed properly. It doesn't actually make her any less of an adult, but she has to deal with people treating her like a child as a result.

I was a bit wary when the show introduced Monster Girl's curse as a plot device, but I think it works as a way to examine how women and people with chronic health conditions are treated in professional settings, as well as a twist on the old "this power is dangerous to its user" formula.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah if I had a superpower that not only took years off my life but made my life actively worse every time I used it I'd just... Never use it. Like I get that it could help people but there are loads of other superheroes with way better powers that don't cost poo poo to use.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
If she could do more and different monsterous poo poo that would be pretty cool. But eyyy I just turn into a orc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

stev posted:

Yeah if I had a superpower that not only took years off my life but made my life actively worse every time I used it I'd just... Never use it. Like I get that it could help people but there are loads of other superheroes with way better powers that don't cost poo poo to use.

And that's why she's a superhero, she can't not help people.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The flash made Iris black

I think I've seen a black Lex Luthor in something animated but it might have been an alternate Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does she age normally when not a monster? If so, she's immortal!