Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Did the OP promise to be nicer to me yet, btw?? If not, that's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i cant make that promise because maybe someday youll say something mean to me and then id be stuck being nice to you

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Seems like there should angles via hardline non-violence and egalitarianism.

not saying it's not good or ethical to be vegan, or even that it's not in line with the personal set of morals you might have that also sets you against capitalism, or even that someone's veganism isn't specifically a personal expression of that. That all makes sense to me.

I just don't see how leftism and veganism are connected in any way whatsoever outside of a strictly personal relationship to both. Like in a broader sense, a leftist would and should fight for eg. sustainable and humane agriculture but they themselves eating or not eating meat (or even eating factory-farmed meat) is a strictly personal relationship to a set of ethical principles that includes stuff like animal rights and the boundaries of sentience and sapience. I can be a leftist against the horrific pollution caused by rare earth mining and electronics trash, but still have a smart phone and not be a hypocrite because my having or not having a smartphone is meaningless against global smart phone production and I still need to participate in the system to survive or even try to eke out some pleasure from it.

I don't know if I'm explaining this well and not coming off as pedantic or whatever but I'm just trying to say that while I think it's probably better to be vegan than not in a broad sense I don't see why not being vegan makes someone a bad leftist, or the op's assertion that nonvegan leftists are a joke.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

baw posted:

that is a good finding, but land use is just one goal to take into mind. the IPCC concluded that a vegan diet is the best choice for reducing GHGs. of course vegetarian is better than flexitarian, which is better than etc

that being said, human welfare is the priority, but non human animal welfare should also be taken into consideration

once again, the Italian way of life is in danger; encroached on all sides,

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

I'm just trying to say that while I think it's probably better to be vegan than not in a broad sense I don't see why not being vegan makes someone a bad leftist, or the op's assertion that nonvegan leftists are a joke.
[/quote]

👍🏻

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

i've never seen a vegan that could fight a cop so i consider them all to be inherently right wing

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can pry my meat from my cold dead hands.

wait, let me rephrase

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

these meatballs are gonna kick so much capitalist rear end, i cant wait

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Frumply posted:

i've never seen a vegan that could fight a cop so i consider them all to be inherently right wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6zRcXcbdko

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i prefer the clean and jerk off

baw
Nov 5, 2008

pls dont doxx my morning routine

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Which is the greater ethical atrocity: driving a car or eating a chicken nugget?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I want to be a fully automated luxury gay space cattleman and imo anyone who says it's not possible to cure colon cancer and feed 9 billion people several pounds of ribeye a day each is lacking vision

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kindest Forums User posted:

Equating abstaining from industrial meat production to liberal classism is the most retarded thing I've heard.

Yeah, like, of course I'm not going to scold some poor person from eating meat. Like how loving stupid are you? But maybe it should be a goal for leftists to stop poo poo like pig farms and chopping up the amazon rain forest in the name of hamburgers.

If you can tell me a way that global communism will be able to feed 9 billion mouths an American diet I'd love to hear it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

love to read a thread in the future when a user has already been probated and you KNOW its gonna happen in the very thread youre reading and not somewhere else.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

yes we know there are 2 jacked vegans on earth

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

giving myself brain damage via eating disorder after watching a netflix documentary to own the carnists

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

baw posted:

i mean that being said, there certainly are a lot of problems in the vegan community and it is very important to critique these problems. but the issue is that non-vegans pointing out those problems is often used as a way to discourage people from adopting a vegan lifestyle, rather than a way to improve the vegan community

It is supposedly apparent that vegan agricultural systems would not exclude integrated rice-aquaculture and pastoralists and other non-Western agriculture that doesn't destroy the environment like Western agriculture does. Other posters and I are coming in with the impression that vegans don't approve of the aforementioned non-Western agricultural practices. The lack of acknowledgement of such practices on the link in the OP reinforced it for me.

Speaking personally, liberals and non-ML leftists have eagerly adopted Sinophobic rhetoric while simultaneously giving empty platitudes of the harm they are in the process of inflicting to their Asian fellows in recent months. I am on a hair trigger because of this.

That said, this kind of stuff is probably more useful if you're trying to convince the local university agricultural department which is niche nerd stuff with a small audience so if this is more because of the subject being overlooked then it is understandable.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Danann posted:

It is supposedly apparent that vegan agricultural systems would not exclude integrated rice-aquaculture and pastoralists and other non-Western agriculture that doesn't destroy the environment like Western agriculture does. Other posters and I are coming in with the impression that vegans don't approve of the aforementioned non-Western agricultural practices. The lack of acknowledgement of such practices on the link in the OP reinforced it for me.

Speaking personally, liberals and non-ML leftists have eagerly adopted Sinophobic rhetoric while simultaneously giving empty platitudes of the harm they are in the process of inflicting to their Asian fellows in recent months. I am on a hair trigger because of this.

That said, this kind of stuff is probably more useful if you're trying to convince the local university agricultural department which is niche nerd stuff with a small audience so if this is more because of the subject being overlooked then it is understandable.

do the fish have to be eaten in order for that rice growing method to work

or i guess in keeping with the definition, is it possible or practical to use the method without killing the fish?

baw has issued a correction as of 19:57 on May 10, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/eilperin/status/1391833057431367686?s=19

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

OP is correct but given the OP's reputation in the greenwald thread I have to say Glenn is right.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

baw posted:

do the fish have to be eaten in order for that rice growing method to work

or i guess in keeping with the definition, is it possible or practical to use the method without killing the fish?

Sure, some California rice farmers actually sort of do a version of this where they leave the fields flooded when they're fallow. It's a substitute habitat for migrating birds and other animals that were left without habitat when the central valley was drained and plowed. As far as I know no one tries to harvest the animals that move in in any systematic way (there are of course bird hunters and fishers).

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Sure, some California rice farmers actually sort of do a version of this where they leave the fields flooded when they're fallow. It's a substitute habitat for migrating birds and other animals that were left without habitat when the central valley was drained and plowed. As far as I know no one tries to harvest the animals that move in in any systematic way (there are of course bird hunters and fishers).

cool

of course if the farmers need to eat the fish for sustenance that's fine

AnimeIsTrash posted:

OP is correct but given the OP's reputation in the greenwald thread I have to say Glenn is right.

i cannot escape my glennemies

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

behold, a man

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Small sample sizes, but:

-most of the vegans I know are libs who want to champion fast food restaurants for including a vegan option
-most of the leftists I know are not vegan
-the only Norwegian Ive ever known was a lib and Im pretty sure wasnt vegan

this concludes our intensive three-week course.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

get your poo poo together knausgaard

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
I'm VEGAN! AND! I agree with the OP.

I have been harshly discriminated against my entire life. This is the basis for the choice. I know what it's like to be treated without dignity and to constantly live in fear and pain. And my experience is not even moderately comparable to what farm animals experience.

I don't know how anyone in good conscience can be treated so brutally, and then turn around and do the exact same thing to another creature. Non-vegan leftists totally shatter my faith in humanity. When presented with the hard evidence of untold amounts of suffering we put animals through, the response never recognizes the severity of the moral crisis, but is instead a lot like a drug-addict trying to rationalize their addiction.

Calling me privileged. Get the gently caress out of here. I'm poor as gently caress and so low socially its insane. It's honestly loving disgusting how often I see social-justice type language repurposed to justify atrocities.

If nothing matters, if you aren't willing to take ANY steps to fight this problem, then why not just indulge in what you obviously believe deep down? This is why the right will win, and is winning: because they have an actual philosophy. A brutal, anti-egalitarian one built on the most primitive parts of the human brain, but one which is cohesive - as opposed to the one most so-called leftists have, which is that exact same philosophy but, where it is shameful, some flimsy adjustments.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dislike how all the ethical arguments for veganism are just ethical arguments for vegetarianism. No one ever talks about why the concept of eating unfertilized eggs is ethically abhorrent, even though it would be really interesting and probably funny to watch

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oolb posted:

I have been harshly discriminated against my entire life. This is the basis for the choice. I know what it's like to be treated without dignity and to constantly live in fear and pain. And my experience is not even moderately comparable to what farm animals experience.

I don't know how anyone in good conscience can be treated so brutally, and then turn around and do the exact same thing to another creature. Non-vegan leftists totally shatter my faith in humanity. When presented with the hard evidence of untold amounts of suffering we put animals through, the response never recognizes the severity of the moral crisis, but is instead a lot like a drug-addict trying to rationalize their addiction.

Calling me privileged. Get the gently caress out of here. I'm poor as gently caress and so low socially its insane. It's honestly loving disgusting how often I see social-justice type language repurposed to justify atrocities.

If nothing matters, if you aren't willing to take ANY steps to fight this problem, then why not just indulge in what you obviously believe deep down? This is why the right will win, and is winning: because they have an actual philosophy. A brutal, anti-egalitarian one built on the most primitive parts of the human brain, but one which is cohesive - as opposed to the one most so-called leftists have, which is that exact same philosophy but, where it is shameful, some flimsy adjustments.

this post retroactively proves you deserved life's hardships

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

baw posted:

of course we go with the vegan society's definition which includes the phrase "as far as is possible and practicable," but if you call yourself a leftist and you're not a vegan you're a massive shitocrite who only selectively cares about the suffering of both human and non-human animals

shitocrite?

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

this post retroactively proves you deserved life's hardships

im gay

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Oolb posted:

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
step away from the privledge

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

vegan western cooking is a joke

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine how gross someone's cooking would be if they were trying to make American food but vegan lol. Oh yum a burger made out of that fake chicken stuff.

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.

Control Volume posted:

I dislike how all the ethical arguments for veganism are just ethical arguments for vegetarianism. No one ever talks about why the concept of eating unfertilized eggs is ethically abhorrent, even though it would be really interesting and probably funny to watch

They seem mostly harmless, but the conditions required to produce fairly and eggs can be pretty intense. Obviously there are smaller farms that treat their animals pretty well, but the large scale dairy and egg industries can get extremely hosed up. Dairy farming requires cows to be continually getting pregnant and giving birth so they'll produce milk. Boy cows get turned into veal. Chickens get treated pretty terribly even if what you end up eating is an unfertilized egg.

Some folks I know are basically vegan but will eat eggs from a friend's chickens. Sometimes the issue isn't even necessarily that it comes from animals but that there is a massive industry of exploitation and torture exacted upon millions and millions of creatures.

I've seen people write about chickens missing their eggs/young, and cows mourning slaughtered relatives, but I don't know how true those accounts are.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

imagine how gross someone's cooking would be if they were trying to make American food but vegan lol. Oh yum a burger made out of that fake chicken stuff.

a whole lotta money in psuedomeat and supposedly labgrown is getting there, don't even need antibiotics in a lab. its the most organic organic meat

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

is this supposed to be a lot

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

that guy could probably do some real lifts if he just ate a hamburger or two

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

They seem mostly harmless, but the conditions required to produce fairly and eggs can be pretty intense. Obviously there are smaller farms that treat their animals pretty well, but the large scale dairy and egg industries can get extremely hosed up. Dairy farming requires cows to be continually getting pregnant and giving birth so they'll produce milk. Boy cows get turned into veal. Chickens get treated pretty terribly even if what you end up eating is an unfertilized egg.

Some folks I know are basically vegan but will eat eggs from a friend's chickens. Sometimes the issue isn't even necessarily that it comes from animals but that there is a massive industry of exploitation and torture exacted upon millions and millions of creatures.

I've seen people write about chickens missing their eggs/young, and cows mourning slaughtered relatives, but I don't know how true those accounts are.

This isnt an ethical argument for veganism though, its an argument for good chicken living conditions. And veganism may be a lifestyle that doesnt support factory farming but it also isnt the only one, nor would it be particularly distinct from a vegetarian whos conscious of their sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

My brother worked on a dairy farm for a while and he says that the mothers would chase the truck when they loaded the newborns up