Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Anybody have a clear screenshot of Carnage?
Because Sony sure doesn't! :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

When they make an Agent Venom movie I'll watch as that's the only time I really liked symbiotes.

Only if it's MCU Flash Thompson.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I hope they let Tom Hardy and Venom kiss for real this time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

Only if it's MCU Flash Thompson.

Flash: I don't want to fight you...

Symbiote: I wouldn't want to fight me either.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

This would be better if they didn't have Carnage and it was just Eddie and Venom living domestic life, but I will see it anyway.

The opening of the trailer reminds me of the part in the second Toxin mini where Pat chastises Toxin for stealing TVs and realizes the symbiote is basically a toddler with knife hands, and I would love just two hours of that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looks like they are fully embracing the wackiness that seemed somewhat accidental in the first movie. Maybe they heard people say they really loved the odd couple setting of Venom from the first movie and decided to ramp that up. Having Venom cook Eddie breakfast was hilarious (to me at least).
That being said I am sad that they toned down Woody's wig. That wig was pretty much the highlight of the first movie.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah the trailer does give off "lean into what worked in the first one" which is promising, though a trailer won't show if you have a well-structured screenplay so we'll see if they can manage that this time. Though I still expect this movie to be way too long and serious for a hammy B-movie about space goop monsters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What is that?

quote:

a toddler with knife

NO!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forget who said it, but someone said ‘Venom is the best comic book movie of 2004’ and they are correct

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Welp, I still haven't watched the first one but I'll say this, I can definitely feel my resistances breaking down.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Cassidy is in Ravencroft that means he was found not fit to stand trial, so why are they executing him? Aren't they still in California, too? I thought California doesn't even have the death penalty.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Obviously the mega billionaire parents of one of his victims are performing an illegal vengeance execution at a black site facility, this explaining why they're killing him in a pressure chamber with neon green slime and not a prison room with a clear syringe. It's probably after he's already escaped once as a regular human and been stopped by Venom who accidentally left symbiote glop on him in the process.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forget who said it, but someone said ‘Venom is the best comic book movie of 2004’ and they are correct

This is pretty accurate, it felt like it came from a time capsule, very much what you'd see in pre-MCU years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Cassidy is in Ravencroft that means he was found not fit to stand trial, so why are they executing him? Aren't they still in California, too? I thought California doesn't even have the death penalty.

I'm going to pick "Script Writers don't understand the Legal System" for $400, ghost of Alex Trabeck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Desperado Bones posted:

Some vore for the weird part of the fandom.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Aquaman is the best comic book movie that came out in 2004, personally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's an easter egg in a shot of the Venom 2 trailer that says 'Avengers Lose to Nightmare' on a Daily Bugle paper in the background. Which may not mean anything at all, but considering the rumors that Nightmare may be the villain in Dr. Strange 2 is kind of interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's an easter egg in a shot of the Venom 2 trailer that says 'Avengers Lose to Nightmare' on a Daily Bugle paper in the background. Which may not mean anything at all, but considering the rumors that Nightmare may be the villain in Dr. Strange 2 is kind of interesting.

Ah, we're going to get the Heroes Reborn universe as an excuse to recast everyone. Teen Tony here we come.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm guessing it takes place during the blip and just doesn't reference it at all beyond that

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love that Avengers is like mid newspaper news with Cletus getting the coveted front page.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm guessing it takes place during the blip and just doesn't reference it at all beyond that

That would make sense. "Nightmare" being the alien invasion in New York and Wakanda, and then The Snap.

quote:

I love that Avengers is like mid newspaper news with Cletus getting the coveted front page.

Hey, the mystery of a serial killer sells more papers than the end of the world! Hell, they probably even have like more than dozen Netflix documentaries and books about Cassidy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm just generally disappointed that all of the Venom stuff is being done without Spider-Man

Although tonally the Venom films would not fit at all with the MCU version of Spidey

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey, the mystery of a serial killer sells more papers than the end of the world! Hell, they probably even have like more than dozen Netflix documentaries and books about Cassidy.

In the Venom world, Woody Harrelson made a Cletus Kassidy movie instead of Natural Born Killers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Parrotine posted:

Were you not around during the 90s? Venom and Carnage were the only few characters people outside of the comic book scene actually knew about, his popularity is truly absurd. They are guaranteed to be making $TEXAS from this release no matter how bad it might turn out, Rule of Cool baby 😎

Are

Are you aware of how long ago the 90s were? I might have some bad news for you about how many people give a poo poo about 90s comic books outside of the specific purview of Marvel Studios productions.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are

Are you aware of how long ago the 90s were? I might have some bad news for you about how many people give a poo poo about 90s comic books outside of the specific purview of Marvel Studios productions.

the 90s were ten years ago

TEN YEARS!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

gently caress that noise, bring me Shuma-Gorath or get off my drat lawn.

Are

Are you trying to make a burn or something, is that what you're doing here? 90s aesthetics is what Marvel is known for before the MCU came into swing, it's the last time the casual reader gave two shits about comics before the manga scene stole all of it's thunder for the coming-of-age demographic, just look at those sales figures my dude. People still lose their minds whenever they see Cyclops covered in pouches or Wolverine in that yellow and blue fashion nightmare, it represents the last era when Marvel comics had any sort of relevance in that age bracket, today it's all from the MCU, the comics are regulated to third-string blueprints now.

Venom was THE villain back in the day, practically one of the only characters who kept that industry alive during those years, that first movie made almost a billion dollars despite it being sort of trash and not having the financial might of the House of Mouse backing it. Nostalgia's a hell of a drug.

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 11, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Were you not around during the 90s? Venom and Carnage were the only few characters people outside of the comic book scene actually knew about, his popularity is truly absurd. They are guaranteed to be making $TEXAS from this release no matter how bad it might turn out, Rule of Cool baby 😎

I was a child in the nineties and to be honest don't really remember Carnage from then. I remember Venom though. But that's my point, I think you might be overstating Carnage's popularity with people who don't read comics, and who are just looking for a fun time at the movies. I always think of my parents as a good litmus test for this; if I rang them up and asked them what Carnage was, they'd have no idea what I was talking about, they'd probably struggle with Venom tbh. They'd know who Spider-Man was though. Or the Joker, or Lex Luthor. Because those characters are truly globally perculated into popular culture. There is gonna be a lot of people going into Venom 2 who don't know what Carnage is. Though as someone pointed out, Harrelson might be the factor that gets people excited, because otherwise to someone who isn't familiar with these characters Carnage doesn't look that different ftom the bad guy from the first film.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Karloff posted:

I was a child in the nineties and to be honest don't really remember Carnage from then. I remember Venom though. But that's my point, I think you might be overstating Carnage's popularity with people who don't read comics, and who are just looking for a fun time at the movies. I always think of my parents as a good litmus test for this; if I rang them up and asked them what Carnage was, they'd have no idea what I was talking about, they'd probably struggle with Venom tbh. They'd know who Spider-Man was though. Or the Joker, or Lex Luthor. Because those characters are truly globally perculated into popular culture. There is gonna be a lot of people going into Venom 2 who don't know what Carnage is. Though as someone pointed out, Harrelson might be the factor that gets people excited, because otherwise to someone who isn't familiar with these characters Carnage doesn't look that different ftom the bad guy from the first film.

(Though honestly I think you’re both partially right)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think the Maximum Carnage event burned a lot of people out on Carnage for a while. Lord knows it did me. I think it was only three months but in EVERY Spidey book and even as a lad with less than discriminating tastes it felt interminable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I still want a film adaptation of the comic where Venom and Carnage fight on the Internet

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are

Those 90s teenagers have money to spend now.

...okay well they have credit cards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dawgstar posted:

I think the Maximum Carnage event burned a lot of people out on Carnage for a while. Lord knows it did me. I think it was only three months but in EVERY Spidey book and even as a lad with less than discriminating tastes it felt interminable.

It burned out regular Spider-man readers, and it was internally detested due to hijacking all the Spider-books for a year, but for casual fans it massively raised the character's profile and made him a favorite. He was in video games, on t-shirts, on pogs, on trading cards, people got tattoos of him... he had a very Van Art appeal where people who barely read any comics thought he and Venom were the most awesome thing ever simply based on their look.

It is true that Carnage's popularity has massively waned since the 90s, though. He's had some pretty decent comic book appearances once writers and editors finally got over their overcompensating erasure of all things 90s from the early 2000s, but none of it had the crossover appeal of his 90s appearances, except maayyyybe his appearance in the Ultimate Spider-man video game, and even that's from a lifetime ago now. Venom's endured a little better overall for a bunch of reasons, but I'm sure there's still a bunch of people who'll go see Venom 2 just because Carnage is in it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I collected a couple Venom toys cause he looked amazing and never read a comic before. It's just such a perfect design.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was bought a Venom toy for Christmas one year and it poured black slime out of a straw inserted into his chest. It was a lovely toy and contributed to my dislike of symbiotes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I asked for a really cool Venom toy for my birthday as a kid, I don't remember which one, but it was too expensive so my dad bought me this embarrassing Hydro-Man reskin Venom.

He's even clearly wearing repainted jeans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are you implying that simulating denim is beyond the shape shifting abilities of Venom?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 11, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Even as a young Kid I knew that maximum carnage was bad.The fact that i most of the villains are beaten by Deathlok making a "good bomb" out of nowhere that saves the day was just so lame.

The red snes maximum carnage game was awesome, even if the game was hard as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nightwatch was cool though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Nightwatch was cool though

No. No he was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's cooler than Spawn