Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a crow hit my window and died, does anyone know how to cook this thing. i looked online and there aren't any crow recipes

[edit]nm, i found one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in case anyone is curious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jen1thTH7f4

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Dolphin posted:

a crow hit my window and died, does anyone know how to cook this thing. i looked online and there aren't any crow recipes

[edit]nm, i found one

don't let the feds in for dinner

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Do not incur the wrath of the local crows

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

Do not incur the wrath of the local crows
i don't think they'll be mad about one that died naturally will they?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dolphin posted:

crows can just kind of tell. Probably.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Was looking for an enchilada recipe and found this

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chicken-enchiladas

which included a picture of him draining chicken fat directly into his sink drain and then this note at the bottom

quote:

*Thanks for pointing out to me why you shouldn't pour animal fat into the sink!

what the gently caress kenji. didn't he work in commercial kitchens?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dolphin posted:

It seems awfully convenient that it was YOUR window that killed the crow and your first act is to devour it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smh leaving out the fact that he was drawing really sexy crows on the glass

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Was looking for an enchilada recipe and found this

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-make-the-best-chicken-enchiladas

which included a picture of him draining chicken fat directly into his sink drain and then this note at the bottom

what the gently caress kenji. didn't he work in commercial kitchens?

lol its pretty much "anything goes" in most restaurants

they'll dump the fryer oil in the disposal bin but just a bit of oil from cooking chicken?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
also they did transfer the comments over on SE but now they're using that terrible disqus platform for the comments

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Restaurants usually have grease traps. If you've never been around when one was getting pumped you've missed out on a real olfactory treat

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my wife gave me that kenji's guys big science cookbook for christmas and i've definitely benefitted from it,

meanwhile i managed to split my pizza stone trying his nyc pizza dough recipe :rip:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

crows can just kind of tell. Probably.

the ones outside started squawking when I played the video of that dude cooking one

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BraveUlysses posted:

lol its pretty much "anything goes" in most restaurants

they'll dump the fryer oil in the disposal bin but just a bit of oil from cooking chicken?

true but that pic is clearly a home sink lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

i say swears online posted:

wow avocado oil is legit, huh

i'm an evangelist for it now, but only when there's a coupon
Sam the cooking guy got me on that avocado oil, it's what i cook with a majoirty of the time now. can't believe how much it costs for a small bottle of it at the grocery store, so i opt to bulk buy it from costco whenever possible. otherwise i use peanut/corn oil.

Epic High Five posted:

avocado oil is good but hardly ever worth the cost

If you're feeling fancy about high temp get peanut oil, if not, corn oil
oh hey yeah this

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

true but that pic is clearly a home sink lmao

you can pour a little down the drain, as a treat

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
oops wrong thread lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my first house the previous owner liked to pour fat down the sink. the first time we used the washer it pushed it all down to the septic filter and popped all the rings seals in the toilets.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dolphin posted:

theyre going to pull your hairs out, pubes and all, 1 at a time. peck out your eyeballs, etc. and i for one? and i for one indeed? im here for it, as they say. LOL. get your affairs in order.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a bag of dried ancho chili pods and also a bag of dried Santaka chili pods but I don't remember why I bought them or what they were for.

What should i do with these? Can I use the anchos as a base for enchilada sauce?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grind those bastards into powder and put them in anything

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have a bag of dried ancho chili pods and also a bag of dried Santaka chili pods but I don't remember why I bought them or what they were for.

What should i do with these? Can I use the anchos as a base for enchilada sauce?

definitely. toast them on a hot pan or in the microwave (seriously), de-stem and de-seed, then soak them in hot water til they're soft and reconstituted. puree them in a blender, maybe add some cumin, garlic, onion, broth to thin, some tomatoes or tomatillos if you want

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

do something like this to them:

Kenji posted:

Add dried chiles to large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or stock pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until slightly darkened with intense, roasted aroma, 2 to 5 minutes. Do not allow to smoke. Remove chiles to small bowl and set aside. Alternatively, place dried chilies on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high power in 15-second increments until pliable and toasted-smelling, about 30 seconds total. Transfer to a 2-quart microwave-safe liquid measuring cup or bowl. Add half of chicken broth and chipotle chilies, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high power until gently simmering, about 5 minutes. Remove from microwave and set aside for 5 minutes. Transfer chilies and liquid to blender and blend, starting on the lowest possible setting and gradually increasing speed to high (make sure to hold the lid down with a clean kitchen towel or a potholder to prevent it from blowing out). Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.

then you can cook the chili puree into your sauce or chili or whatever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've seen recipes where you boil the toasted chilis a bit and then toss the water, especially for chili. i've heard it'd be too bitter. is that true?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i've seen recipes where you boil the toasted chilis a bit and then toss the water, especially for chili. i've heard it'd be too bitter. is that true?

maybe if they’re really burnt but i haven’t had any issues with bitterness. but also they’re going into dishes that I am going to be cooking forever like chili so maybe that might be more of an issue if you’re quickly cooking the chili etc instead of several hours of simmering

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just made no bake cookies.

I never realized how terrible these are for you

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tonight's pizzas were:
*parmesean white suace with broccoli, sauteed mushrooms, and artichoke hearts
*classic red sauce/mixed cheeses with green onions plus leftover BBQ'd peppers, onions, and pineapple

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is there any easy way to concentrate vinegar?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

Like balsamic? Just simmer it for a few minutes.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Not really, you could try freeze distillation but you would need a good way to control temperature

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

sure. remove the water from it like you'd do in any concentration. balsamic is the most common but you can up the punch by steaming off watery stuff

https://www.marthastewart.com/971799/vinegar-reductions

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just made no bake cookies.

I never realized how terrible these are for you

they taste terrible too

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

made my first bagels over the weekend, using the king arthur recipe. first batch was 8 with both poppy and sesame seeds, then i made a dozen using the same recipe but only one topping per bagel; the onion needs work, and i basically had to scoop it on top of the bagel rather than dipping them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
owo whats this? ah, just the secret recipe. well, better put it back in the huge safe where i keep it, behind the vault door, laser traps, and armed guards who patrol around the complex waiting to be silently murked by solid snake / a sexy brunette in a latex catsuit.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chard posted:

made my first bagels over the weekend, using the king arthur recipe. first batch was 8 with both poppy and sesame seeds, then i made a dozen using the same recipe but only one topping per bagel; the onion needs work, and i basically had to scoop it on top of the bagel rather than dipping them.

Use the WaPo recipe next time, I find the KA recipe kind of meh (it improves if you make the dough and shape the bagels the day before and let the flavor develop in the fridge).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2016/05/10/homemade-bagel-recipe-how-to-make-the-best-bagels-at-home/#bagelrecipe

I'm a sucker for everything bagels, so that's what I usually make, but once in a while I'll make some cinnamon raisin (bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on a cinnamon raisin is heaven). If you decide to give cinnamon raisin a try, make sure you up the sugar and yeast content, cinnamon kills yeast so you need to compensate for that.

disclaimer: I worked in bagel stores and bakeries for ~15 years, my first job was in a NY bagel store.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So let's say you make a bunch of bacon, what do you do with the fat? I used to have a roommate who kept it for use later but my wife doesn't approve of just holding onto fat.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

HootTheOwl posted:

So let's say you make a bunch of bacon, what do you do with the fat? I used to have a roommate who kept it for use later but my wife doesn't approve of just holding onto fat.

put it in a sealed container, put in fridge. cook potatoes, refried beans, whatever else you want to have smoky bacon flavor in it

your wife is weird, people save flavorful fat for cooking later all the time and have been for generations

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah I keep bacon fat in the fridge for when I want crispy breakfast potatoes. it's not abnormal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

Buy a $10 grease container that also has a strainer on the lid. Keep in a cabinet. Pour some out to use when frying up potatoes, eggs, onions, smash-burgers, veggies, etc.