Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
New rig means I can finally, finally play that new half life game. It’s gorgeous, I love the details on the gloves, BUT I almost immediately busted the whole gimmick of it being super detailed and immersive by trying to use one of the dry erase markers on the jar with the bug in it in like the second room. It was sitting right next to it, come on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I did the same thing :(

That GDC talk from the "Until You Fall" devs was really interesting because they talked about the pitfall in VR game design where once you give the players the ability to touch and gently caress with stuff you really expect all of it to react the same way and it's a bit disappointing when it doesn't. Not saying that Alyx is at all disappointing because I can't write on ALL of the glass but it does make me think about that talk they did every time I see games that let you fool around with things in the environment.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Right, exactly. There was also a bookshelf in one of the apartment with like a towel draped off a shelf and I was like “oh sick no way they have towel physics” and you just can’t interact with it at all. Obviously this is fine but when a big selling point it like “foraging through junk on shelves for ammo” and then not letting me forage through everything feels a little bad. Like how the only doors you can use are the ones with handles even tho you could feasibly shoot a deadbolt off one of the handle-less doors.

Obviously this is very nitpicky but it did help frame it as “oh yeah still just video game.” The combat so far has been pretty cool though some of the puzzles already suck.

I just encountered my first headcrabs before I stopped playing last night. Excited to get back to it. The sound design is fantastic and the level of detail in the machinery and sets is delicious as a dude who loved the design of half life 2. Some of the reveals have just been so loving cool looking.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My favorite Half-life game thingie is how every door, everywhere, swings both ways on the hinges.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Yeah, not being able to write on obvious stuff kinda sucks, although it's very heavy feature, so it's understandable that they didn't add it onto everything. It requires having a separate procedural texture for every object you draw on, and every object needs to have nice unique UVs so you don't get duplicated or bleeding strokes. And everything just adds up dev time.

Though, the truly unforgivable crime in HL:A is having both physically enabled hands and cats, but no way to pet the cats.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

explosivo posted:

I did the same thing :(

That GDC talk from the "Until You Fall" devs was really interesting because they talked about the pitfall in VR game design where once you give the players the ability to touch and gently caress with stuff you really expect all of it to react the same way and it's a bit disappointing when it doesn't. Not saying that Alyx is at all disappointing because I can't write on ALL of the glass but it does make me think about that talk they did every time I see games that let you fool around with things in the environment.

In some ways I feel like this has been a thing ever since we started getting physics in games. I remember being all excited after that playground near the beginning of HL2 where you could gently caress about with the swings and stuff, and then disappointed every time I found something later in the game that I couldn't interact with. But yeah I guess VR and especially having in-game hands really accentuates it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

For example, in sword melee games, you usually put your sword on the correct side to block an incoming attack and that's it. I think eventually, devs will have to make deeper games where , in this particular example, the exact position of the sword and its angle when it clashes with the other sword will also matter, giving a 'hard to master' type of gameplay.

That's basically Blade & Sorcery/Boneworks/Saints & Sinners style physics based combat. It's awesome! It's also really hard to get right.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao the elite straps suck and people should stop recommending them. The new ones break too! DAS frankquest crew laughs at your cheap disposable headsets

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao the elite straps suck and people should stop recommending them. The new ones break too! DAS frankquest crew laughs at your cheap disposable headsets

my elite strap owns and my dad could beat up your dad

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Myh elite strap owns but yeah people have been having issues with them, though no-where near the rate of that first batch. The 2 year warranty should be mentioned though, that's a really nice perk if you're concerned about the longevity.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One day the developers of Blade and Sorcery will make AI be able to hit you and add at least a single realistic attack animation.
Lmao, whom am I kidding, no they won't.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can get a halo style headstrap for cheaper than the Elite Strap for the Quest 2 and at this point I would recommend just getting that instead of chancing an elite strap that breaks. I'm sure the newer batches are better but they still absolutely break.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My elite strap didn't break, but I did replace it with a DAS this past weekend anyway just because it's such a huge upgrade.

Looking forward to this upcoming weekend, we're surprising my folks with a Quest 2 (and a hand-me-down elite strap).

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 14, 2021

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I find the Elite Strap more comfortable than the Deluxe Audio Strap (and I find most of the third party Quest straps unusable, including the halo one), but I still switched to the Deluxe Audio Strap a few days ago after my third goddamn Elite Strap broke. Oculus are exchanging it no questions asked, which is good, but I still have no desire to keep relying on it.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

how do i get out of vr? help

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kevin Bacon posted:

how do i get out of vr? help

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

sethsez posted:

I find the Elite Strap more comfortable than the Deluxe Audio Strap (and I find most of the third party Quest straps unusable, including the halo one), but I still switched to the Deluxe Audio Strap a few days ago after my third goddamn Elite Strap broke. Oculus are exchanging it no questions asked, which is good, but I still have no desire to keep relying on it.

Can you still just velcro strap the DAS to your headset like the Quest 1 or do you need to buy an adapter?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lmao that face
That’s still overall a neat representation of opening stuff in a ~3d~ environment.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sacred Cow posted:

Can you still just velcro strap the DAS to your headset like the Quest 1 or do you need to buy an adapter?

You'd have to add velcro to the arms as well, which would make it harder / impossible to change out other straps.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

roffels posted:

I used to play pinball competitively, and it's natural to lean onto the machine when playing. So of course the first time I played Zacarria Pinball VR, I tried leaning on the VR machine

I haven’t had a “lean on a virtual object” fall-over moment yet, but I had sort of the opposite in Boneworks where I was up high on a wall and realised I had to go back down to adjust something in the physics puzzle on the ground, so using my videogame instincts I decided to just jump down and do it. Turns out that the non-videogame aspects of my brain simply were not expecting me to suddenly walk off a ledge fifty feet in the air and I nearly went sprawling as my reflexes tried to deal with being in perceptual free-fall.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I finally got around to playing through Project Wingman, and did the last mission tonight. I'm going to have MISSILE ALERT seared into my brain for weeks :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-playstation-4k-eye/

quote:

We don’t yet know the product’s name, but multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners. Those details include a resolution of 4000×2040 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering. A motor in the headset can be used by developers to give direct haptic feedback.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Looking forward to Sony learning the hard way why no-one's put force feedback into headsets yet (it's concussions, when prototype headsets with force feedback have gone to trade shows, they give people concussions).

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
If Sony haptic can make it feel like gentle rain is falling on your controller, I imagine they can keep it controlled enough for a headset

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That would be great if Sony was the only one developing for it but you know some third party is going to push it hard and if Cyberpunk 2077 can get through cert with a scene that causes seizures there will absolutely be a game that can give people head injuries.

Like in what use case would you ever want a headset that shakes your head?

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
If you die in the game, the headset will rumble to break your neck.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

njsykora posted:

That would be great if Sony was the only one developing for it but you know some third party is going to push it hard and if Cyberpunk 2077 can get through cert with a scene that causes seizures there will absolutely be a game that can give people head injuries.

Like in what use case would you ever want a headset that shakes your head?

punched in the face for real, bring it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oovee posted:

If you die in the game, the headset will rumble to break your neck.

A feature very popular with millennials, I'm sure.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I imagine the concussion causing rumble was probably the old fashioned lop sided weight spinning rapidly method. Which would shake your head something good.

The new haptics are basically speakers in how they work. also can't go as strong as old rumble as some people have complained. I imagine both traits would probably make them safer. They could probably set the max strength of them as low as they need too on a system level.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

That's an example for the other side of the argument, though; 2077 causing seizures doesn't mean that Sony should disable HDMI out for all future games.

As far as I know seizure prevention has always been the developer's responsibility on Sony and MS hardware; Nintendo are the only ones who made it part of cert requirements, presumably fallout from the Pokemon incident. If Sony care about this - and they likely would, as the first implementers of the tech - then they could absolutely make and enforce restrictions on its use both in cert and through the apis.

Unfortunately they can only do those things on PS5, where they control the software. So I think one thing we can get from this news is yet another nail in the coffin of any faint hopes for official PSVR2 support on PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NRVNQSR posted:

That's an example for the other side of the argument, though; 2077 causing seizures doesn't mean that Sony should disable HDMI out for all future games.

As far as I know seizure prevention has always been the developer's responsibility on Sony and MS hardware; Nintendo are the only ones who made it part of cert requirements, presumably fallout from the Pokemon incident. If Sony care about this - and they likely would, as the first implementers of the tech - then they could absolutely make and enforce restrictions on its use both in cert and through the apis.

Unfortunately they can only do those things on PS5, where they control the software. So I think one thing we can get from this news is yet another nail in the coffin of any faint hopes for official PSVR2 support on PC.

Nah, that's not that works; You can't sue Samsung just because it was their monitor you were playing Cyberpunk on when it happened to strobe the siezure pattern, that's CDPR's fault as it would be for the game's developer in your case.

You could probably build a game that'd give users vibration finger issues by vibrating Index controllers at full-tilt for long stretches at a time, but that doesn't mean someone's going to. Or that they won't fix it if they learn it happens by accident.

Also there's at least some evidence that it'll be PC-compatible beyond blind hope (or at least enough to infer there's odd going on with it beyond PS5 usage) as we've seen the definitive release controllers and they don't follow the PS5's monochrome clamshell scheme that's on literally everything else related to the PS5.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SetSliRol posted:

RE: VR fuckups I will always remember playing H3VR and trying to place my video game guns onto the real life table that I knew was in front of me only to watch them fall to the ground.
I will also remember using my phone in real life and dropping it, expecting it to return to the inventory slots on my waist only for it to also fall to the ground.

I was playing Scanner Sombre and dropped one of my controllers on the floor. So, I took off the headset and spent several seconds trying to scan my dark living room before I realized why it wasn't working.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

PSVR was never supported on PC by sony either and yet it shows up on steamvr surveys. If they can physically plug it into the PC programmers will find a way to make it work. Only concern there is that it wants a USBC with good bandwidth to the GPU, as a tear down showed to be the case in the PS5. Now my 2080s does have a USBC, the 3000 series dropped support for that to my knowledge.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I installed Raw Data today, I had it from some bundle I guess. I found amusing the Steam user reviews, from
83% positive on total to,
40% positive on 'recent reviews'.

I guess expectations have changed in these few years of VR gaming.

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Sacred Cow posted:

Any recommendations for a replacement head strap on a Quest 2? The stock one is fine enough but it’s a pain in the rear end when having to adjust the size switching between my kids and me. I’d go for the official ones except I keep seeing horror stories about it breaking after a few months.

I bought this halo strap a couple weeks ago. The design of the strap is good, since it transfers the majority of the weight of the headset on to the top of your head instead of your brow/cheekbones, especially if you attach a battery to the rear to act as a counterweight. This was a vast improvement over the Elite Strap for me, since my gigantic head barely fit inside of one and the pressure of using it for a couple of hours left dark, painful indents on the top and sides my face. The build quality of the linked model is kind of bad though, in that the one sent to me has an arm connector that isn't completely straight, meaning that the right side of the little nose cutout in the headset rubs up against that side of my nose unless the whole thing is twisted slightly to compensate. There are a bunch of different models in the same style kicking around, and none seem like the consensus choice, so you're kind of stuck rolling the dice and accepting whatever comes that doesn't explode or cut your scalp off. In conclusion, vr straps are a land of contrasts with many sides.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Which is weird because it's not like there's been many good releases in the action genre since then. Unless I somehow missed some gold.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

I installed Raw Data today, I had it from some bundle I guess. I found amusing the Steam user reviews, from
83% positive on total to,
40% positive on 'recent reviews'.

I guess expectations have changed in these few years of VR gaming.

Yeah, game's fine but feels very early VR. I played a few with my friend but we haven't gone back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HTC's big ViveCon thing starts in about 13 minutes at time of posting, just as an FYI.

Make your bets on how they steal defeat from the jaws of success this time!

edit: The conference isn't for another 20 minutes, but they've got ten-second videos of the new headsets on the landing page.

The PC Headset is indeed just a touched-up Vive Pro. Looks like they're making a big deal of new speakers in it that look like the Deluxe Audio Strap earpods (flat surface instead of the earcups too), so maybe if we're lucky (and HTC aren't completely stupid), they'll be available after-market for existing Vive Pro owners.

I kinda think they could've done much better by taking the opportunity to build something based off the Index off-ear speakers as the Vive Pro's earcup mounts are ideal for it. Gotta wait for the actual conference reveal but it looks like someone just went "People liked the DAS speakers better, use those instead! :pseudo:" and called it a day.

The other headset (presumably a standalone business one if that leak holds true) just looks like a black Quest with a rounded ski goggle aesthetic.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've heard you should be careful / not play in a sunny area or outside but want to know the specifics as my best VR playing area is a conservatory with a glass ceiling.

Can someone clarify what the risk of exposing your Quest to the sun is? Is it just that if you leave it out at the wrong angle the light can be focused through the lenses and burn the screen inside the headset? And/or is the sun damaging to the cameras on the outside or something else?