Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Biowarfare posted:

Once the plots are generated it's read many.

To generate the plots requires it to make like an order of magnitude more trash in temp files back and forth. I think 100GB final output requires multiple terabytes written

Green eco crypto! (that will landfill a ton of SSDs).

If you had at least 384GB of RAM, you could plot in a ramdisk, which would be far less henious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Moey posted:

I thought all 3tb drives were ticking time bombs?

Anecdotally, I have a 3TB HGST NAS Drive which has been in 24/7 use for about 6 years with zero reported bad sectors.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Same here, my 3TB HGST HDN724030ALE640 has been flawless.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Same here, my 3TB HGST HDN724030ALE640 has been flawless.

Yep, exact same drive

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
13 GB NVME??

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

13 GB NVME??

M.2 Optane device for cache.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I've got the DS1821+ setup using three 14tb drives. Now I have data from the old Windows server that's on 3x 4tb drives and 3x 2tb drives that I need to start copying over.

My original plan was to install the drives from the Windows box into the Synology and copy everything locally, but it doesn't seem the Synology will mount NTFS drives internally, only via the USB interface. I got that from googling around, so please tell me if I'm wrong. I have to imagine it will take 1000x longer to do ~16tb of data via USB than doing it internally, but I'm new to Synology so I don't know.

How would y'all go about transferring this much data over?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Do you have a decent network connection between the old windows server and the new Synology? (Or just a Windows machine if the old server has died). Transferring that way will likely be as fast as the drives can do.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

For those that accept it, does Synology really care what m.2 drive you stick in there? I know they sell their own.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Do you have a decent network connection between the old windows server and the new Synology? (Or just a Windows machine if the old server has died). Transferring that way will likely be as fast as the drives can do.

It's gigabit LAN. I mounted the Synology share on the old Windows machine and did a test, about 20 minutes for 85gb. So around 3 days worth of copying stuff that way, if I'm doing the math correct. Guess I'll be babysitting it for awhile.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EC posted:

It's gigabit LAN. I mounted the Synology share on the old Windows machine and did a test, about 20 minutes for 85gb. So around 3 days worth of copying stuff that way, if I'm doing the math correct. Guess I'll be babysitting it for awhile.

Only if you watch. Go do something else.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

EC posted:

. So around 3 days worth of copying stuff that way, if I'm doing the math correct.

True but that's within range of the maximum throughput of the drives in question. I don't think LAN transfer is slowing you down vs. locally connected read. You're gaining a lot of not worrying about filesystems etc and are using both devices as intended.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

For those that accept it, does Synology really care what m.2 drive you stick in there? I know they sell their own.

It doesn't but it is only supposed to be for caching so a high endurance one is best.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

buffbus posted:

It doesn't but it is only supposed to be for caching so a high endurance one is best.

You're probably rewriting less than you think. Are you tracking total bytes written?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Depends on what you're doing and if you have it as a read-only or read/write cache

Ours burned out an Intel SSD DC S4500, it was being used as a backup target in Veeam and it had write-caching turned on. Derp.

My particular synology has a slot for either a 10gb card or cache SSD, but not both :( So we use SATA SSD's for cache drives.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Biowarfare posted:

To generate the plots requires it to make like an order of magnitude more trash in temp files back and forth. I think 100GB final output requires multiple terabytes written

Doesn't it do all that in RAM though?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
no it's all disk io

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Rooted Vegetable posted:

True but that's within range of the maximum throughput of the drives in question. I don't think LAN transfer is slowing you down vs. locally connected read. You're gaining a lot of not worrying about filesystems etc and are using both devices as intended.

It's going pretty well so far. I've got all the data off 3 of the 4 2tb drives. I'm worried about the last one as I was having some issues accessing it last week, but it seems to be working fine so far.

Any good tutorials for learning and setting up Docker for stuff like SAB/Sonarr? I have a real basic, surface level understanding of what Docker is and why it's good to use it.

According to the Sonarr discord there's no real way to migrate an install from a Windows box to a Synology, and I am dreading having to go in and adjust all the series and replicate everything. SAB should be easy, although it will be sad to lose the 11 years worth of history on the thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EC posted:

According to the Sonarr discord there's no real way to migrate an install from a Windows box to a Synology, and I am dreading having to go in and adjust all the series and replicate everything. SAB should be easy, although it will be sad to lose the 11 years worth of history on the thing.
It is definitely possible to edit the database backup directly to keep the existing data with new paths, but whether it's worth the trouble is up to you and depends on your comfort level with SQL.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolrah posted:

It is definitely possible to edit the database backup directly to keep the existing data with new paths, but whether it's worth the trouble is up to you and depends on your comfort level with SQL.

I have zero experience with SQL, unfortunately.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Biowarfare posted:

And that'd take a while on spinning rust so people just buy cheap SSDs to burn, right? Guess it's a good thing I got one of the fancy new PCIE 4s before the rush :sigh:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, that's the point. It sucks up both slow and fast drives. You need the slow drives for long term storage, so all large storage is gone. You need as many fast NVME or SSDs as you can to trash through to write as much as possible, as fast as possible (to generate the bingo boards to put into the rotational drives), so all fast storage is gone. The min size requiring 300G+ means that 128/256GB SSDs are largely untouched, though

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm decommissioning my old Unraid server which has a bunch of still working, if old disks.

Is there a small enclosure or something similar I can get to either use these as a huge USB array or JBOD? Or just on the network is fine as a backup/no frills file storage device. I already have a Synology DS1819+ so that is doing all the heavy lifting for me already.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

I'm decommissioning my old Unraid server which has a bunch of still working, if old disks.

Is there a small enclosure or something similar I can get to either use these as a huge USB array or JBOD? Or just on the network is fine as a backup/no frills file storage device. I already have a Synology DS1819+ so that is doing all the heavy lifting for me already.

I looked for cheap jbod enclosures recently but they were surprisingly expensive.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Biowarfare posted:

Yes, that's the point. It sucks up both slow and fast drives. You need the slow drives for long term storage, so all large storage is gone. You need as many fast NVME or SSDs as you can to trash through to write as much as possible, as fast as possible (to generate the bingo boards to put into the rotational drives), so all fast storage is gone. The min size requiring 300G+ means that 128/256GB SSDs are largely untouched, though

A few minutes thought while I was on the Thinking Throne a while ago (because I forgot my phone) and I figure it'd be cheaper to build/buy a server with ~1TB of RAM once then have it generating plots on platter drives that you migrate to, IDK, external USB enclosures hooked up to Raspberry Pis. Then you only pay for one piece of plotting hardware that doesn't wear out and you could even have hot-swap bays for zero downtime plotting. Maybe that USB enclosure thing doesn't strictly work with throughput constraints but it'd be what I'd do if I was serious about touching the poop.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

So they design a whole new "thing" and instead of making it less insanely (with chunks that can be derived and signed in a standard chunk of memory and written once to disk) they've done it so it far exceeds anything but large servers, instead choosing to use basically large scratch disks - chewing through flash? RAM is built to constantly be re-written, and plenty of nerds these days have 16-32GB in their desktop, or computers which could be upgraded to that amount. Why not make it in 4 or 8gb "plots" ? I assume it's just so they don't have to store as much metadata on the blockchain, but you could also then have them built to be stitched together as they're written once to the disk.

Sorry this just blows my mind that they saw a problem, thought "we could fix this!" and then just made it dumb in a different, less renewable way.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Sorry this just blows my mind that they saw a problem, thought "we could fix this!" and then just made it dumb in a different, less renewable way.

They don't care, they have a shitcoin that they pre-mined 21 million of and are hoping the noveltly will let it take off so they can cash out.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Chia is a scam.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redeyes posted:

Chia is a scam.

Aren't they all?

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Volguus posted:

Aren't they all?

Yes, the oceans will burn.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inept posted:

They don't care, they have a shitcoin that they pre-mined 21 million of and are hoping the noveltly will let it take off so they can cash out.

Right you said it was crypto.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

We could always tie the people to their mining equipment, and throw both into the ocean.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Just put in a tree planting tax per gigabyte of storage purchased via any system. Clearly that’ll fix all externalities

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't it do all that in RAM though?

I've seen someone run chia mining in a ram drive. It seems to run the plots fine if you have 512 GB of RAM.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Devian666 posted:

if you have 512 GB of RAM.

So then what's the expected break even ROI date for THAT?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

I bought 512GB of ddr3 server ram for under $400, so probably decent (unrelated to mining, this is for a database server)

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Less than a quarter if the rumors of chia destroying SSDs within weeks are true.

As is usually the case with cryptocurrencies, what software engineers think is a limiting factor is something that accountants will work around. Bitcoin limited by energy turns into "arbitrage electricity prices, stealing energy outright where possible." If Bitcoin existed contemporaneously with Enron, they probably wouldn't have gone bankrupt.

Chia is operating in the space that every cloud storage and big data company has already optimized down to slivers of margin. Once you know how to game opex/capex, amortization, and depreciation you can make very expensive things very cheap as long as the value of your product stays above a certain amount.

xarph fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2021

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

In one of the goon discord channels someone has been test mining chia to understand it. Calculations on the current price indicate if you buy 50TB of drives you could have them paid for in about a week.

Now I've said that we'll see how many hard drives get destroyed. People are mostly concerned with SSD failures but what's going to happen to WD's SMR drives that are still out in the wild (and cheaper than the CMR versions so miners will buy them).

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Devian666 posted:

In one of the goon discord channels someone has been test mining chia to understand it. Calculations on the current price indicate if you buy 50TB of drives you could have them paid for in about a week.

Now I've said that we'll see how many hard drives get destroyed. People are mostly concerned with SSD failures but what's going to happen to WD's SMR drives that are still out in the wild (and cheaper than the CMR versions so miners will buy them).

Admittedly I won't shed a single tear for a dead SMR drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The load on the storage drives isn't that high, is it? You generate the plots on the SSD or in RAM, then write that info to the storage drives. Then you just have to read from them, to check for matches, right?