Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
An ultra critical failure on activating a magitech nuke gun? I can see this being enough to make it reach across alternate dimensions or whatever the Holy/Dark End are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Oh boy :f5:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The heavy robot.
Leave it in the arcade closet, pick it back up on the way to the Hideout. - 7
Set it free. - 1
Carry it with you. - 11

The Moloch Buster.
Stash it in the arcade bar, and come back for it later. - 3
Leave it lying around out in the open for Fire Joker to find. - 6
Take it with you, to keep it or destroy it. - 10

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You're alone on a beach.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You sit in the topaz sands, and admire the sapphire waters.

ANXIETY: 0%

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Skip a rock on the ocean?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

The jungle is emerald. The 8th lord approaches. The disquiet begins?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yep, I officially have no idea what's happening now. I'm not even going to pretend to know enough to hazard a guess.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think I get it, but there's still a lot of (deliberate) blank spaces, and I'm chewing over it a bit as I reread. I could post some thoughts when I finish my reread if anyone is interested, I think bouncing interpretations off other people helps to clarify things.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
There is something amiss here. Yeah, no poo poo. I'm pretty sure we switched continuities just after retrieving the nuke. Possibly the Miner needing to use her weapon containing our soulstone is what called us to the Home continuity.

quote:

You gasp to awareness. The music is roaring. There's a drink in your hand. You're still stained with blood, now dried. You're in an apartment, and you're talking to someone. She has a Red Roosters shirt on. You're too disassociated to remember your own shirt to show it off. No, you're the one in the suit and shawl with the sword and stains. Singer. You try to remember what happened down in the hours of the Underground Forest, the nightmare of sweltering humidity. But the one in the red shirt, she's talking.

"...get them, you know? The secret is I can hear fire talking, including the metaphorical inner flame! Their flame is just the scariest yapyapyapyapyapyap, angry sing-song noise. Took me weeks of listening in when I could, and it's just the most fascinatingly bad sound. I- you ok?"

You need the bathroom. She points one out for you, and you stumble into it. This one is lit blue too, by a single bulb overhead. There's a counter, a sink, and a single stall. The door is open, since the toilet is being used as a seat by the Iron Saint. She looks at you when you enter and go to the sink, so spit and hock up a mouthful of bile that you can't feel.

"It's audible... as resonance, in my iron. Ringing. Some great fork tuning on stone; why does it sound like you? Why do I see iron colored gold?"

You swap places and close the stall door. The old hyena talks on thoughtfully. "I don't remember this night, or the other, but here I am in it now. Shadow, did you know, I was there the night the Archer descended?

We are referred to as a "Shadow" instead of as a "Singer". There are other people with Camp shirts on. The Miner and the Archer exist so we know we jumped to another continuity. The map colors are normal so I think this isn't the Dark end. So right now, in this continuity, our Dark end selves are in the Cultpartments while our Home continuity selves are signing the adoption papers (which presumably were the thing that was locked in the drawer), if I got it right. That's why our icon is dark in the Beach and yellow (or gold) in the Church.

quote:

I had the answer to everything in my pocket.

I had everything I ever wanted waiting for my Name.

I thought about the last year I had spent here at Home.

I woke up. Thought for sure I was in Hell! Couldn't think right, couldn't speak right. Wandered onto a boat. Met a hyena who talked. She was funny. Gave me a Name when I told her God honest, I never had one.

Turns out I was going to a colony. Wasn't Hell anyone else knew for sure yet. Just more of the struggle. Talk about the God and the Dream and... didn't care really, I stopped because I hit the 'boy of my dreams' point. It's the worst feeling in the world to not even realize you're in love until it's well past sanity.

I had a job waiting for me. New trade, mining. All kinds of machines, weird people, from all weird worlds and cultures and lives... and what was I but just another weird one? I liked working. Surviving. Helping the new community flourish. I really really did.

I kept meaning to try to force it. What I wanted. What I thought I wanted what I wanted and wanted and begged and begged for, and couldn't get until the End again. I thought I wanted it! I was so sick with the lust of it! I have it right here in my pocket and I just need to commit one single second to it!

Then I fell in love with a chicken. Hahaha.
Then a witch who was once a villain said she knows I was a good person.
Then a little dragon taught me how to open locks and talk to kings.
Then a Doctor helped me learn how to save a life.
Then a Squire prayed and said I was holy, and accepted my blessing of Knighthood.

I dunno. One day I,

woke up in the room she built for me, and,

I didn't want to die.

Ok, so essentially what we're being told here is that in the Home continuity we came from a boat to join the colony with the Miner (who apparently chose to make some sort of hydraulic mining tool or weapon called "Sunsplitter" out of our soulstone). We grew closer to her until we started calling her Miss Ignatz, and then eventually Mom (even though we don't like to admit it, probably our character may be a teenager judging by that "boy of my dreams" talk).

But that doesn't explain the scene that happened after we got the Wraith Rose. We were a child back then, not a teen. That doesn't explain this drawing here:

I think at some point our Holy End self died in the colony (maybe in the nuclear blast) and then it reincarnated as a kid. If that happened, then the Miner had to survive the sunsplitter activation in some way. Either that or we've been seeing the results of multiple continuities.

Our Dark End self got nuked as well (without even losing the star status, I guess. "You're still a Superstar, even after the light came down.") and somehow ended up in the Beach, back in the Dark End, judging by the map colors.

Grond fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 10, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wait a second! Whoops. This is a party. See?

Everyone who knows is here! It's too much, haha. You're still a Superstar, even after the light came down. So you'll talk and relax.

The thing is, there's only so much time to enjoy it before going back. Who to mingle with, and what to eat?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Grond posted:

There is something amiss here. Yeah, no poo poo. I'm pretty sure we switched continuities just after retrieving the nuke.

We are referred to as a "Shadow" instead of as a "Singer". There are other people with Camp shirts on. The Miner and the Archer exist so we know we jumped to another continuity. The map colors are normal so I think this isn't the Dark end. So right now, in this continuity, our Dark end selves are in the Cultpartments while our Home continuity selves are signing the adoption papers (which presumably were the thing that was locked in the drawer), if I got it right.

Ok, so essentially what we're being told here is that in the Home continuity we came from a boat to join the colony with the Miner (who apparently chose to make some sort of hydraulic mining tool or weapon out of our soulstone). We grew closer to her until we started calling her Miss Ignatz, and then eventually Mom (even though we don't like to admit it, probably our character may be a teenager judging by that "boy of my dreams" talk).

But that doesn't explain the scene that happened after we got the Wraith Rose. We were a child back then, not a teen. That doesn't explain this drawing here:

I think at some point our Holy End self died in the colony and then it reincarnated as a kid. If that happened, then the Miner had to survive the nuke in some way. Either that or we've been seeing the results of multiple continuities.
Yeah, I think our character is fairly young, but not so young as to be a child in the now - Aitvaras is referred to as a boy in this timeline, we should have been roughly the same age as him in the other timeline, and there's been multiple times where we're noted to be small. But Merkja started calling us 'little shadow' in our first encounter with her in the Hideout, so the nickname is a carryover from that, which might be a carryover from the other timeline both of you are a quarter remembering at the party.

The Miner didn't design what was made with our soulmetal, though. I think it was our idea, one that we hated because of the violent implications but thought was necessary to protect the Miner, and since it was our soulmetal other people went along with the idea even if it made them uncomfortable, too. And, well, it couldn't ever be tested before making it, and when it was used it was all full charge and the sun was bright and directly ahead and things went really really wrong...

I believe our Home continuity self was suicidal, so I'm not sure if what was in the drawer was something we didn't want to think about bc it made it so nervous even though we wanted it and it was positive (adoption papers) or because it could hurt us and we'd thought we'd wanted that but then found people who cared about us.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I think the design of the Miner's weapon was made by the Mouse of Sight, presumably on the Miner's orders, or maybe our own. That's why the Miner owed him a favor and why we had to go to his house and use our locksmithing skills to return it.

quote:

I don't want to think about him. His sickly chittering. His weird dialogues. His offensive insistence on attention and then his loathsome pitiful apologies whenever he does something miraculously dangerous and dumb. Everything about him is a genuinely irrational hatred to me, but I made an agreement. I gave my dirty duplicitous word. He had made something for the Miner- something that used that strange strange metal her pendant had made possible. The metal that was 1% Me, the substance that was false false false. The rodent had sculpted it, machined it, engineered it, and in return I was going to look at his shed lock.

And yeah, the thing in the drawer is pretty ambiguous. It certainly looked like it was a way to self-harm. It being the adoption papers would be a nice twist but I can't say for certain that's what happened.

About the vote. The Duelist, Necromancer and Anguitenan donated soulstones to the other three members of the colony scouting party. The necromancer's jewel may be especially relevant to the situation at hand, according to Bella:

quote:

"One - every time it was a vision, at some point during it, it'd get dark for a second, and then REALLY bright with a golden light, before it'd fade into this intense color; like a..."

She gives me an odd look for a second, like she just realized something.

"Like a pink jewel."

On the other hand, the Errant, the Singer (presumably the singer of Cadanza), the Traitor and the Coward are the four Eidolons. The witch is probably Bella or maybe Crocell, we've seen the Farmer in flashbacks, and the three dryads are probably part of Burner's cult.

Grond fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 10, 2021

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Having some electricity resistance via food might be nice.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The Mouse's design but the little-s singer signed off on it because they wanted the Miner to have a good tool and weapon as a last resort, I think? And also potentially trying to push past their discomfort about the Mouse.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, that's possibly it.

So then if I got it right, after we glitched into the Underground forest from the Cultpartments and retrieved the nuke and the dog, we got pulled into the Home continuity (by the soulstone activation, I assume). In that moment, the Dark End manifested there for an instant, maybe due to our presence. That's why "it'd get dark for a second" in Bella's vision. This caused all critical failures to become Dark Interventions, exponentially worsening their effect.

At that exact moment, the Miner activated the weapon with the soulstone of our Home continuity self in it, the Sunsplitter. It went wrong and, since it was designed by the Mouse, that Critical Failure turned Dark Intervention activated his "Million to One" trait. This happened with a nuke in the vicinity, which was ALSO made by the Mouse. That's the "bright golden light" in Bella's vision.

The explosion reacted with the Necromancer's jewel and the golden light faded away into pink, which is why the blast is shown as pink in the "game engine" when it reached the Council Church. And the result of that entire clusterfuck is that a nuclear explosion carrying the soul of a necromancer wiped out the entire island (or at the very least Rivergreen and the Holy Valley) and possibly turned its inhabitants undead in the Home continuity.

We somehow returned to the Dark End in a completely different location, a few seconds before many other characters who shouldn't be here did as well. And, uh, apparently we're throwing a party now.

I kind of have to admit that this wasn't exactly what I was expecting when we volunteered to get Paprika's stuff back. No poo poo our character hated that mouse.

Grond fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 10, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The deep loathing and horror of both the Mouse and the weapon does seem vaguely like foreknowledge, but not really refined?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

First of all, drat. This has been a hell of a thing.

Grond posted:

Yeah, that's possibly it.

So then if I got it right, after we glitched into the Underground forest from the Cultpartments and retrieved the nuke and the dog, we got pulled into the Home continuity (by the soulstone activation, I assume). In that moment, the Dark End manifested there for an instant, maybe due to our presence. That's why "it'd get dark for a second" in Bella's vision. This caused all critical failures to become Dark Interventions, exponentially worsening their effect.

At that exact moment, the Miner activated the weapon with the soulstone of our Home continuity self in it, the Sunsplitter. It went wrong and, since it was designed by the Mouse, that Critical Failure turned Dark Intervention activated his "Million to One" trait. This happened with a nuke in the vicinity, which was ALSO made by the Mouse. That's the "bright golden light" in Bella's vision.

The explosion reacted with the Necromancer's jewel and the golden light faded away into pink, which is why the blast is shown as pink in the "game engine" when it reached the Council Church. And the result of that entire clusterfuck is that a nuclear explosion carrying the soul of a necromancer wiped out the entire island (or at the very least Rivergreen and the Holy Valley) and possibly turned its inhabitants undead in the Home continuity.

We somehow returned to the Dark End in a completely different location, a few seconds before many other characters who shouldn't be here did as well.

No poo poo our character hated that mouse, drat.
I think this is mostly right. I definitely agree that us arriving caused the 18s to turn into Dark Interventions - the idea that Interventions are literal interventions from other Ends is strongly backed up by the fact that in the Dark End we can get Holy and Hell interventions but not Dark interventions:

Black August posted:

[Sometimes, something new was discovered by the art of sheer luck. Every time the dice rolled, the RNG spoke, there were 4 chances of something exceptional happening. The Critical Success, the Critical Failure, and their more significant and rare forms- the Holy Intervention and the Hell Intervention. Two miracles, two damnations. It opened paths that would normally never be allowed with mundane success and failure, but it was entirely a shot in the dark if one would occur during a significant moment of RNG. Even if every onerun was the same, the chance of a Critical Success or Holy Intervention wouldn't be a promise even if the same roll for the same situatuon was made by a thousand runs.]
And the Mouse definitely amplified its effect with Million to One. But I think the explosion was the sunsplitter, not the moloch buster. Look at this quote again:

Black August posted:

The Sun saw it through the leave of the Rivergreen, when Cassandra caught up with Vincent. Both were relieved to see Gaziel was fully awake and well-slept, not a hint of hangover. They were early double-timing the pace to get established in the spearhead center of the Rivergreen, trailing up towards the shores and around into the hills. The three were a part of the second following to the advance party led by the Ranger. Gaziel was carrying the terrifying weapon of Burner on his back, casual about the weight of its protective case. Though if Cassandra was being honest, the weapon scared her less than what the Miner was carrying that morning. The Camp taught her enough to appreciate Burner, and maybe that had to do with the Thundering King's accusation of her grasp of Hellfire's ideas.

That wasn't nearly the distraction now as the solar machine was. It was at full charge this morning, and the hydraulic engine made this known by flowering with an array of solar lights. Their language was monstrous to Cassandra's ears, speaking with something she had never studied or heard. It wasn't quite Radiance. It wasn't all Sunfire. Nor was it just the Divine Light. It had... karmic quality to it. An impossibility of improbable rainbows. Radical concepts. It was dangerous. It was all wrong. It was going to be switched on.

She knew that because she could heard the commotion happening ahead. The scream of something like a monster truck boar. The language of flame from Sunburner hands, gunfire, shouts. Trees shattering. Magic running afoul.

It's almost noon.

The Sun..
The sunsplitter was horrifyingly dangerous in itself, and the result of "the light coming down" was Zenith Noon, not just radiance. Lastly, on a slightly more meta level, we chose to take the moloch buster with us, but we could just as easily have chosen not to, and we were already getting visions of these events in the Holy End before we made that choice. Compare that to the choice to step through into the Holy End, which was predetermined - we could only choose why we were going to do it, not whether we were going to. So the nuke might have shaped the effects, but I don't think it could have been the singular cause. Also, I think it's definitely important that the Necromancer was there and that their soul was pale pink, and that could well be why things were pink by the time the light hit the council church - but considering pale pink in this story has usually been a signifier of the Holy End, I'm again not convinced that they made things worse.

I still don't understand how we actually stepped between the ends, though, or how Merkja fits into things, or how she seems to know so much.

So, knowing all that, who do we mingle with? I vote for the Duelist, Necromancer and Anguitenan, since they were essentially all there - the Valkyrie was carrying the Necromancer's soul, the Archer was carrying the Anguitenan's soul, and the Ranger was carrying the Duelist's soul - so they'll very likely have some important answers. Other than them, the three mortified dryads are quite possibly the same three who were there as well, but in context "mortified" probably doesn't mean "embarrassed" - they're likely to be in no condition to talk. The farmer seems to be key to a lot of things - as a class, they're both completely impossible to win with (thanks to something to do with Smiercia) and completely broken, and it would be good to know why. The Witch is likely to know a lot as well. The Singer and the Errant would also be interesting - the Errant seems to be intimately bound up with the Island according to that snippet from the Blue Book, and seeing the Singer might jar something important loose in our character's head.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 10, 2021

Grond
Mar 31, 2016

PetraCore posted:

The deep loathing and horror of both the Mouse and the weapon does seem vaguely like foreknowledge, but not really refined?

Possibly. The third eye lets us see into other timelines subconsciously. We still conserve the photo of Aitvaras even if we never really knew him for more than a few days in the Dark End. So it granting us some sort of subconscious foreknowledge wouldn't seem like such a stretch.

Then again if I had an rear end in a top hat in my neighborhood manufacturing nukes and making weapons out of souls and doing all sorts of other ridiculously dangerous stuff I wouldn't be exactly predisposed to like them, with or without supernatural stuff involved.

pumpinglemma posted:

And the Mouse definitely amplified its effect with Million to One. But I think the explosion was the sunsplitter, not the moloch buster.

I think it was both, actually. The sunsplitter ignited, which caused the Moloch Buster to go off as well.
I think there are two Moloch Busters. The Holy End one, which Gaziel was carrying. And the Dark End one, which we're carrying (since our timeline echoes their timeline). The one that (presumably) exploded would be the Holy End one, since we still have ours in the character sheet.

Grond fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 11, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Also, thinking about it, I bet the Errant is the same person as the Squire, since we know that the Squire joined the Holy Chicken Knights was forced out of Home - if they're still alive, they're now a knight-errant.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Black August posted:

The Sun saw it through the leave of the Rivergreen, when Cassandra caught up with Vincent. Both were relieved to see Gaziel was fully awake and well-slept, not a hint of hangover. They were early double-timing the pace to get established in the spearhead center of the Rivergreen, trailing up towards the shores and around into the hills. The three were a part of the second following to the advance party led by the Ranger. Gaziel was carrying the terrifying weapon of Burner on his back, casual about the weight of its protective case. Though if Cassandra was being honest, the weapon scared her less than what the Miner was carrying that morning. The Camp taught her enough to appreciate Burner, and maybe that had to do with the Thundering King's accusation of her grasp of Hellfire's ideas.

Probably not very important right now, but it looks like the Camp may be a general cross-continuity location? We met Red and Blue, who are likely incarnations of Burner and Dancer from another end. And in the Holy End, Cassandra met Burner at the Camp. Gaziel may even be carrying one of her petals.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

OneWingedDevil posted:

Probably not very important right now, but it looks like the Camp may be a general cross-continuity location? We met Red and Blue, who are likely incarnations of Burner and Dancer from another end. And in the Holy End, Cassandra met Burner at the Camp. Gaziel may even be carrying one of her petals.
The Camp is weird, but I think Dancer and Burner genuinely got caught in the spider of Leng's web in this continuity, because we met them in the campfire event before things shift, and the Blue Book lists approaching a campfire at night as a legit way to cross paths with Burner.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Also, working with them made their relevant cults lik... tolerate us, which I don't think would happen unless they were the Hell End incarnations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Randalor posted:

Also, working with them made their relevant cults lik... tolerate us, which I don't think would happen unless they were the Hell End incarnations.
I think we're in the Dark End, not the Hell End, but yeah, Burner and Dancer wouldn't be marked 'Friendly' towards us unless we actually interacted with them, I don't think.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, we’re definitely in Dark End according to our conversation with the World King in the Back. I don’t think we’ve ever interacted with the Hell End, but give that this place isn’t the Hell End, and given that we can get Hell Interventions on an 18 the same way the Holy End can get Dark Interventions, we can safely assume it’s not a great place to be.

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
I can't exactly prove it but I think the Hell End bled into the Dark End at the Pluto Tower, when we were being chased by the fungus and the glitched... thing... that hosed up our FP indicator. Maybe a critical failure there would have turned into a Hell Intervention.

There is something that has been bugging me about that particular sequence of events though. Namely, the Pluto Tower was described as being "close to the back", a place which was essentially described as being loveless and hateless, a giant void. 無 as a physical location, so to speak. So then why would being close to the Back cause a plane of hate such as the Hell End to manifest? Maybe the closer a place is to unreality, the more susceptible it becomes of being influenced by other Ends and locations, or something. Which would also explain why the basement of the tower turned into the Bloody Megalith.

Alyssa was described as having become insane in her quest for a physical body, maybe that was a factor that would explain why those hallways turned into what they became. Or maybe we weren't alone in the Back, maybe something followed.

Grond fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 11, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think you’re right that whatever the heck attacked us in there was from the Hell End. As for how it got there, we know from our talk with the World King that while the Back is still part of the Dark End, it lets you “go behind other fixed points in the timespace”. I suspect it’s connected to the Backs of the Holy End and the Hell End as well, so being near the Back can allow either one to bleed through more easily. We weren’t just getting interference from the Hell End, after all - I think we literally sent Wash through to the Holy End on top of the tower.

(Random aside, but I just connected the single red feather Kwiat had in that scene with the description of Kuczerwony having a tiny shading of red on the tip…)

Grond
Mar 31, 2016
Yeah, I think I agree with that.

Also, I was just rechecking the character sheet and it looks like we lost our own Million to One trait, which got replaced by a "Herald" trait without a description.

I'm thinking that the Million to One proc'd by the Miner was, apparently, our own.

My guess here is that we got the trait due to the Mouse of Sight making the weapon out of our soulstone in the first place. We never interacted with him in the Dark End after all. When the Miner activated the weapon, since it had a conduit to our soul, it pulled us to the Home continuity, reacted to our own Million to One trait, and wiped out the forest and everybody in it.

Good for us in the sense that at least we won't get an ultra critical failure, so we won't die as spectacularly as that, but the colonists are hosed with a capital F and it's probably our fault in a sense. Well, good thing that the protagonist is on drugs and their IQ is not high. I wouldn't like to see the effect that this would have in their psyche if they realized.

Also we're now encumbered, for whatever that's worth. Apparently that robot dog really weighs a lot.

Grond fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 11, 2021

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ahhhh. Look at this variety! Pots of lovely ashen-black honey from volcano bees. A whole towering mess of emerald and jade greens for a salad. Little buns crammed with shredded pig and green BBQ sauce. Bowls filled with seeds, roasted and baked to a spicy finish, right next to a small plastic bin of incredible looking starry-blue jelly. But the real prize here? The real prize is going to be the ENTIRE charfry boar on the Mouse's electroarc grill... as well as raiding the cooler next to it for some sandwiches!

THAT is the kind of beach lunch that you need in order to gussy up the courage to have a conversation with The Singer and The Errant.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
A small rodent man with a nervous disposition, making weapons of mass destruction that backfire horribly on their users? I'm pleased to see that the skaven tunneled there way out of the universe collapsing and into here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm shocked that that elecrofry grill hasn't killed 50 people in a freak accident... yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PetraCore posted:

I'm shocked that that elecrofry grill hasn't killed 50 people in a freak accident... yet.
You don't wanna know about the testing phases.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PetraCore posted:

"What are you talking about? It fries 50 people every time it's tur... oh, by ACCIDENT? No, it hasn't done that by accident yet."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Sun...

You shuffle over to the grill and cooler. Let's see here... yeah! You pocket two snakeslice sandwiches, before jaunting to the electroarc grill, warm sands kicking about your shoes. Yup. That's just raw open current cooking an entire dead boar. It's just out there. You decide to get one of the bigger carves while there's a chance, your plate now heavy with the uniquely fried boar. You look over at the three near the grill.

The Mouse of Sight is chattering away aimlessly with the Bird of Night and the Giant of Light. Yammering in his rattery tones about a hydraulic splitter design. You look around the VIP party, itchy with the sensation that you're... not... ENTIRELY invited. The feeling intensifies when you approach the most exclusive clique; the Traitor and the Coward are busy talking about the effects of the Sun's light moving across waves. But the Errant and the Singer are open.

The Errant is dealing with the tropics the same way he always has - under a powerful umbrella and with his cloak all swept up over him. Nothing visible but two pale red eyes in the deep shade; he's almost as powerful a contrast against the tropics as you. The Singer is sitting next to him, being her typical top-shelf self with a frozen wine glass brimming with citrine gin. Her ashen skin gleams from some sunscreen or other, veins the jade of a Nuvarytas-Lineage Sylvan. Striking face for sure, but it's her smile that really gets you to understand the strength of her personality; she gives you its full force, followed by an extended hand and the melody of her too-perfectly practiced accent.

"DARLING! Hello! Come over and join us, we'd love more momentum for the conversation. Galen love, scooch right there, let me sit across."

You stand awkward for a moment while the Singer and the Errant change their seatings to let you sit and join them. The Sylvan can't help but scooch up closer and kneel to take a long studied stare at your suit. She fiddles with her narrow glasses, sits back, and snaps her finger.

"I thought I remembered that smell, that is Kadath silk! That beats my dress by far. Galen, I like this one. They're outclassing us."

She was wearing a faded pink sun dress, immaculate of make but worn from atrocity. The Errant looks at you from under his shrouding. He speaks, his voice a high and soft whisper. "It does smell nice."

You smile and say thank you, slowly and carefully. You're nervous, but only a little. You got the suit. You got the Superstar shine. Which means you can spark the Silver Mind to gleam a little light out of the Singer's soul, to give you a better idea of how to ease into the conversation.

(!PSI ESP a) 11 - [3]+[1]+[2] = 6 - Success!

The Silver Mind posted:

The Psychic was rubbing his eyes and chewing his perfect nails. That meant he was pissed. You lean over and pour yourself more coffee, listening with interest.

"Let me compose myself. I don't- I'm not happy about this. The kobold corroborated this?"

You nod, siiiiiiiipping your coffee while your mind tumbles a good deal. Yes. The shut-in wino Sylvan with the only bar-ban on record. Her. Of course, that wasn't the news that had him mad. The news that the Singer was here at Home was the pants-making GBS threads part. The near heart-attack was the news that she was one of the survivors of the Island incident. But the news that had him pissed is that she's getting tall calls from her ex, who managed to glamour and psychic his way in past the Silver Mind's exquisite insights. He knew to take advantage of Home's walk to Megalith.

You can tell by the way the Psychic's hand is clenching is that he's thinking back on his dark old days and bad old ways, and how he'd just love to apply them in thousandfold to the Singer and her troublesome lover.

That's good. It's a distraction. From your own uncomfortable thought. From the fact that you knew something that the Psychic did not. The Miner... she's been seeing that guy too. Because, you're pretty sure, she does jobs for him. Like dropping packages in weird little faerie glades. Or throwing sacks out into lakes.

You need to talk to the Boss. The Dragon of Home. About flushing out some vermin.

The Silver Mind's Superstar Insights posted:

The Singer
ST: C
DX: C+
IQ: B
HT: D
WL: C-
PE: B

Glamorous
Charismatic
Ambidextrous
Social Adaptation
Intuitive Mathematician
Insane Luck

Alcoholism
Addictive Personality
Bad Sight
Bloodlust
Compulsive Gambling
Compulsive Partying
Sense of Duty
Insomnia
Nightmares
Reckless
Unlucky

!Dame de Chance
!Survivor
!Architecture
!Smooth Operator

!PSI Probability ℵ
!Sceptre

W: Island Machete
A: Celephaïs Silk
R: Lucky Ribbon

What secret does the Silver Mind catch in its reflection infinite?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

If the theory about the Singer having become part of us is right, we can probably prove it by choosing Cadanza here since IIRC sinking Cadanza was the last thing she was known to do before vanishing. Alternatively, we can try and learn a bit more about the Island. Either seems good.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

pumpinglemma posted:

If the theory about the Singer having become part of us is right, we can probably prove it by choosing Cadanza here since IIRC sinking Cadanza was the last thing she was known to do before vanishing. Alternatively, we can try and learn a bit more about the Island. Either seems good.
See, now that we know more about the Singer, I'm not so sure that she's part of us! But we are certainly a singer, and now a Singer, so knowing more about what the Singer did might provide some insight into what we might be able to do. Maybe.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Some of those traits seem kinda Dancer-like, too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Well, Dancer is the Dame de Sade, and Singer is the Dame de Chance, and both Dancer and Singer are Sylvan. Dunno how much to make of that!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Songs Leave Resonance

What happened after Cadanza? - 14
What happened after the Dreamlands? - 2
What happened after the Island? - 14

...LOADING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, TECHNICALLY, all she would have to do is answer the "what happened after Cadenza" question and still have answered both, if my vague understanding of the timeline is right.