Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AnoHito posted:

Usually higher powered lasers take far too much power to be practical as weapons. Particularly as portable weapons.

You don't need portable lasers, you just need a lot of remote controlled mirrors...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

New goal: stealthily insert this into our work group's laser safety training slides :ninja:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Hygiene posted:

New goal: stealthily insert this into our work group's laser safety training slides :ninja:

:doit:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1390879476469403648?s=21

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
As pointed out in the twitter comments, "Source: De Beers"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The helpful folks at Philip Morris have provided this chart about the health effects of cigarettes, and, would you believe it, they're completely fine!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you have three Pepsis and I give you two Pepsis, how much more refreshed are you ?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Phanatic posted:

If you have three Pepsis and I give you two Pepsis, how much more refreshed are you ?

Do you have coke?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was in my room and I was just like staring at the wall thinking about everything
But then again I was thinking about nothing
And then my mom came in and I didn't even know she was there she called my name
And I didn't even hear it, and then she started screaming: MIKE! MIKE!
And I go: What, what's the matter?
And she goes: What's the matter with you?
I go: There's nothing wrong mom
And she goes: Don't tell me that, you're on drugs!
And I go: No mom I'm not on drugs I'm okay, I was just thinking you know,
Why don't you get me a Pepsi
And she goes: No you're on drugs!
I go: Mom I'm okay, I'm just thinking
She goes: No you're not thinking, you're on drugs! Normal people don't act that way!
I go: Mom just give me a Pepsi, please
All I want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
Just a Pepsi

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/mims/status/1391002647948320779

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I also have to LOL at DeBeers sending whoever will listen a graph that seems to literally state fewer than half of whatever cherry-picked group of yahoo’s they found perceive diamonds of any kind to be “romantic” or “special.”

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah yeah, crypto bubble bad, but what's the thinking behind printing money during the pandemic?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BonHair posted:

Yeah yeah, crypto bubble bad, but what's the thinking behind printing money during the pandemic?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/05/cash-in-circulation-is-soaring-and-that-usually-means-good-things-for-the-economy.html

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Numbers go up :homebrew:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

BonHair posted:

Stops a depression. Trade drops, so businesses cut staff and save the money instead, so lots of people lose their jobs, which means which means they spend less money, which means more people lose their jobs. Government spending has to expand to cover the drop in private spending/increase in saving or you get a vicious cycle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

Borrowing isn't "printing money"

But I can't tell if :thejoke:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BonHair posted:

it appears you have not yet made the acquaintance of the man named john maynard keynes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BonHair posted:

In addition to all the Keynesian stimulus posts already made, were you in one of the areas that literally ran out of coins over the first year of the pandemic because nobody was going outside?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/01/coin-shortage-pandemic/

It's mostly eased up by now but there were lots of fast food places with signs up asking people to pay with credit or exact change and lots of laundromats that straight up couldn't open sometimes.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
See also Modern Monetary Theory. One of the TL;DR's of which is that so long as the money is used towards a productive end (recirculated, spent, etc.) rather than just piling up somewhere it will not generate inflation.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
And also that if you are in fact the source of a currency "borrowing" is just a really roundabout way of printing more.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sardonik posted:

See also Modern Monetary Theory. One of the TL;DR's of which is that so long as the money is used towards a productive end (recirculated, spent, etc.) rather than just piling up somewhere it will not generate inflation.

We'll see pretty soon if this holds true or not. Inflation numbers for the US released today were significantly higher than predicted.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1392597629343879169

wait a minute........ :thunk:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Something to look forward to

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's called a ring buffer, thank you very much!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I don't get it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Count Roland posted:

I don't get it

The ordering of the dates is .... something.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Count Roland posted:

I don't get it
The week is out of order abd those graphs seem to be for July 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The graphs have a tickmark for July (last year) and beginning of 2021 which is incredibly :effort: but vaguely understandable as those are the two peaks of the outbreak.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

zedprime posted:

The graphs have a tickmark for July (last year) and beginning of 2021 which is incredibly :effort: but vaguely understandable as those are the two peaks of the outbreak.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just realized that they're probably in alphabetical order in excel or whatever program they used.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Not even. Looks more like they sorted by weekday

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Carthag Tuek posted:

Not even. Looks more like they sorted by weekday

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Microsoft Excel has killed more people than most weapons systems.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
ISO 8601. It exists for a reason.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I’m sorry I know Excel is awful with dates but you have to intentionally format it as text to get that result. If you just put in the dates remotely normally, it should sort correctly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Excel guessing at what data type a cell should be is like half the problem with it though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NFX posted:

It's called a ring buffer, thank you very much!
This got it in form although it still leaves a reason to figure out. Probably told they can't deviate from the template at all and the template already had Mon-Sun text filled out. Stupid excel tricks usually leave the date mismatched with the day of the week but maybe it was a huge coincidence.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

So I did a crazy thing and went to the source twitter and scrolled down.
https://twitter.com/TexasDSHS/status/1387807012076072967?s=20

So yeah just weirdly using a M-Su line for a graph put out on Wednesdays.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

This got it in form although it still leaves a reason to figure out. Probably told they can't deviate from the template at all and the template already had Mon-Sun text filled out. Stupid excel tricks usually leave the date mismatched with the day of the week but maybe it was a huge coincidence.

If you're going to manually update the table, that is also the least amount of work - just update the current day and publish it. If you want to keep it sorted you'd need to manually shift over all the other entries. Laziness wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Platystemon posted:

Microsoft Excel has killed more people than most weapons systems.